• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Windows 10 graphical settings revealed

UnrealEck

Lock to 30 will be good for people with low end hardware trying to run it in 4K. 30 FPS guarantee is awesome. Never seen that before. Must be some new tech being able to set a minimum FPS.

This is probably going to be the most demanding game this generation and we are already complaining that it doesn't offer VXAO? Really? The last I checked, the 980Ti/Titan X were already reaching their limits with Rise of the Tomb Raider with this option turned on @ 4k.

Strong emphasis should be put on '@ 4k'

dreamfall

Really excited to play this on PC. Upgraded to Windows 10, knowing it was going to be on some exclusivity barrier. I hope they give keys out for the XBO preorders on the launch day.

jediyoshi

Too many options, this game isn't optimized at all lol.

In no world does this logically follow or do PC gamers actually want less options than what's been shown.

im pretty sure they haven't updated the setting page since they went from win32 to uwp. i doubt the vsync option does anything.

It enables/disables double buffer vsync.

It doesn't. MS need to update the APIs to enable the way for UWA apps to disable vsync.

Not possible by virtue of all apps running fullscreen windowed. It's been this way for 3 years since Windows 8. What you're actually asking for is the ability for apps to run in exclusive fullscreen.

dr_rus

Not possible by virtue of all apps running fullscreen windowed. It's been this way for 3 years since Windows 8. What you're actually asking for is the ability for apps to run in exclusive fullscreen.

Nothing prevents apps from running in a window with vsync off but the design decision made by MS for DWM/DXGI. MS needs to update the DXGI API for this and they've already said that they will do it soon.

Microsoft-uwp-vsync-tearing-gsync-freesync.jpg

JaggedSac

Nothing prevents apps from running in a window with vsync off but the design decision made by MS for DWM/DXGI. MS needs to update the DXGI API for this and they've already said that they will do it soon.

Hadn't seen this slide yet. Didn't realize the update was shipping soon. Wonder just how soon, soon is.

jediyoshi

What is the actual distinction you're making? What is the solution for something right now to bypass the triple buffering through DWM in regards to a solution that currently exists?

Zedox

Build is next week so hopefully they just go "and this is available today."

Don't give people hope for that quick a turnaround. I would presume the Redstone build in the summer (rumored July). As that's probably when the stores will merge and all that jazz that they show at build will happen.

Bsigg12

Don't give people hope for that quick a turnaround. I would presume the Redstone build in the summer (rumored July). As that's probably when the stores will merge and all that jazz that they show at build will happen.

That does make a lot of sense. I really hope they have some big plans in place for that unified storefront.

JaggedSac

Build makes a lot of sense. They wouldn't have to wait for Redstone for this as it is really a change for devs, not consumers. Consumers wouldn't see anything until patches came out. Maybe they will release it and say Quantum Break will be first game to implement the changes.

I know, I was just hoping they would be able to fix this earlier than that.

Platform changes like that likely require an OS update (new build) as well, so it will probably be there way early for insiders but only in the next build (Redstone) for everyone else.

JaggedSac

Platform changes like that likely require an OS update (new build) as well, so it will probably be there way early for insiders but only in the next build (Redstone) for everyone else.

They do have monthly builds for the public though. It could technically be in one of those before Redstone.

Mohasus

Yes, and a 970 is a much better GPU than a 7770, couple that with an i5/i7 and I don't see how it would struggle in comparison.

Twice the framerate and 125% more pixels.

but seriously, Watch Dogs and DR3 also run like that on the XO right? And a 970 can handle them

Being able to handle and "smoke this game at 1080p" are different things.

I say this as a GTX 970 owner that just played DR3, I had to reduce the settings to 720p for a stable 60fps (900p was fine during gameplay, but dropped frames during cutscenes).

Watch_dogs also drops into the 40s.

dr_rus

What is the actual distinction you're making? What is the solution for something right now to bypass the triple buffering through DWM in regards to a solution that currently exists?

The distinction is that it is possible even though not right now. You've said that it's impossible which is incorrect.

jediyoshi

The distinction is that it is possible even though not right now. You've said that it's impossible which is incorrect.

Do you realize the statement you're saying? That something is possible, but not until they change it for it to be possible to begin with? What does that make it currently?

Or are you for some reason under the impression I was pointing out that it was impossible on a technical level? Why do you think I'd specifically point out DWM's current implementation circa Windows 8? As long as we're extrapolating, what did you think I was under the impression of its feasibility before that?

dr_rus

Do you realize the statement you're saying? That something is possible, but not until they change it for it to be possible to begin with? What does that make it currently?

Or are you for some reason under the impression I was pointing out that it was impossible on a technical level? Why do you think I'd specifically point out DWM's current implementation circa Windows 8? As long as we're extrapolating, what did you think I was under the impression of its feasibility before that?

It make it not implemented but not impossible. It's quite probable that MS will patch DXGI in the coming months as this is a smaller change in the API which doesn't require lots of testing and refactoring.

Freiya

What about sli support. Dx12 has been nothing but a let down at this point. Leaving it up to devs is horrible for those of us with two cards.

I think the simple AA option is likely due to their unique rendering technique, since their source rendering buffer already has 4x MSAA which means additional AA solutions might not benefit it very much.

jediyoshi

It make it not implemented but not impossible. It's quite probable that MS will patch DXGI in the coming months as this is a smaller change in the API which doesn't require lots of testing and refactoring.

We will have to agree to disagree on the idea that something can be possible but isn't possible until it's changed to be possible which apparently overwrites its previous state.

I guess something being possible and something being impossible aren't mutually exclusive these days.

Frozone

Awesome, i hope they'll send the Windows 10 codes as soon as possible, i'd like to play it on PC from start to finish, at least for the first run.
Also it would be great to have some benchmarks of the game before release, wondering if my i7 4770k and Gtx 980 OC will be able to max all those settings out at 1080p maintaining a solid 30fps at least

Question: How do you buy the Win10 version? It's not available on the Windows store. Do you have to pre-order the X1 version and you get the Win10 version? Why doesn't MS have just the Win10 version up for sale?

Yarbskoo

That anti-aliasing setting is hilarious.

I wish more games had post processing options beyond a single "Effects Quality" option. Not everyone likes the same effects.

I think the simple AA option is likely due to their unique rendering technique, since their source rendering buffer already has 4x MSAA which means additional AA solutions might not benefit it very much.

I was hoping they'd dropped that for the PC version.

Top Bottom