• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.I.P Denuvo - Tekken 7 and Dishonored 2 cracked

Bowl0l

Hopefully the devs remove it from all games before the inevitable Denuvo shut down, rendering the games unplayable.
They won't remove it. That's the reason why they implemented DRM, to restrict how long a game licence is valid.
Then they can legally remove your license by not paying for the authentication server.
Finally, they will feed the media some BS story about not reaching an agreement with the DRM provider and fully blame DRM.

Deathknell

9 more games with Denuvo have been cracked/bypassed during the last ten days.

ADRIFT
ABZU
WRC 6
Planet Coaster
Dead Rising 4
Total War Warhammer
Bulletstorm Fullclip Edition
Dawn of War 3
Constructor

Denuvo is pretty fucked up.

I've spent money for 4 of those games but this is a good news.

GavinUK86

Titanfall 2 continues to fly under the radar.

I'm very surprised that one is still holding up. I would've thought that would've been one of the first to get cracked.

Good though really, more people should buy T2. Even just for the amazing campaign.

Bulletstorm is the perfect example on how Denuvo doesn't fucking work. It has been released for months and it sold 15k copies.

I happily pre-ordered the game for full price when the Steam page first went up because there was no mention of Denuvo anywhere. Somewhere between that time and launch they updated the page to state that it used Denuvo so I refunded my purchase and they lost a guaranteed pre-sale. Great idea to use a DRM that demonstrably loses sales rather than gaining them.

Prey also didn't mention it's use of Denuvo prior to launch so after learning my lesson with Bulletstorm I decided not to pre-order and buy the game full price on day 1 despite being willing to if I knew it would not be using Denuvo. Being a Bethesda game I decided to wait it out and big surprise they decided to use Denuvo so I decided to skip the game entirely.

horkrux

Great idea to use a DRM that demonstrably loses sales rather than gaining them.

lol gotta love anecdotal evidence

Some people really can't just admit that you won't be able to prove it one way or the other, no. Instead you pick one shitty remaster (for, what was it? 50 bucks?) no one cares about and if it sells like garbage, you declare that as proof that DRM doesn't increase sales, if not straight up hurts them.
No one ever claimed DRM was gonna magically make every game sell bucket loads. That's just a strawman well maintained. But maybe it sold 15k instead 12k, or maybe it would have sold 20k without DRM? Who knows.

lol gotta love anecdotal evidence

Some people really can't just admit that you won't be able to prove it one way or the other, no. Instead you pick one shitty remaster (for, what was it? 50 bucks?) no one cares about and if it sells like garbage, you declare that as proof that DRM doesn't increase sales, if not straight up hurts them.
No one ever claimed DRM was gonna magically make every game sell bucket loads. That's just a strawman well maintained. But maybe it sold 15k instead 12k, or maybe it would have sold 20k without DRM? Who knows.

I can say with 100% certainty that there has never been a single sale gained specifically due to Denuvo.

Nobody has ever been on the fence about purchasing a game and then upon learning that the game uses Denuvo decided to purchase the game because of it.

People have absolutely been on the fence about purchasing a game and then upon learning that the game uses Denuvo decided not to purchase the game because of it.

Sorry you're such a shill that you need to apologize on behalf of corporations but I'm more interested in protecting consumers and making sure that the people actually buying these products don't end up with a worse final product than pirates that pay nothing.

I can say with 100% certainty that there has never been a single sale gained specifically due to Denuvo.

Nobody has ever been on the fence about purchasing a game and then upon learning that the game uses Denuvo decided to purchase the game because of it.

People have absolutely been on the fence about purchasing a game and then upon learning that the game uses Denuvo decided not to purchase the game because of it.

Sorry you're such a shill that you need to apologize on behalf of corporations but I'm more interested in protecting consumers and making sure that the people actually buying these products don't end up with a worse final product than pirates that pay nothing.

Nobody can say 100% certainty either way. Would Diablo III have sold less if it was cracked right away? You don't know and neither do I. What I do know is we have individuals who like to exaggerate the impact Denuvo has had on them. I see it all the time on the Steam forums.

Mifec

Almost everything that's not a VR game has been cracked and we already saw Ubi and EA games cracked so it's just time until those go down too.

Didn't expect them to catch up so soon but hey when a new cracker and a new group show up all of a sudden I guess this is what happens.

Titanfall 2 continues to fly under the radar.

This one is super weird lol. I wonder if there's something technically different about it. Or maybe no one cares enough because it's old and didn't sell all that well? (I know a lot of people loved it, but these are pirates we're talking about, different audience!)

Mifec

This one is super weird lol. I wonder if there's something technically different about it. Or maybe no one cares enough because it's old and didn't sell all that well? (I know a lot of people loved it, but these are pirates we're talking about, different audience!)

Came out same time as BF1 and that's cracked, so just disinterest most likely.

R0C

Titanfall 2 uses origin layer which causing difficulty to emulate denuvo has been removed from game

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Titanfall 2 uses origin layer which causing difficulty to emulate denuvo has been removed from game

Origin's DRM is just a weak client tether a la Steam. A number of Origin + Denuvo games have been cracked, including Mass Effect Andromeda, which released only a few months ago.

kotodama

I feel like those defending denuvo simply haven't been in PC gaming long enough to remember the days of starforce or securom or gfwl and tried to play some of those older games and realized they just can't.

I wonder how many PC games are stuck behind GFWL. Seriously, Namco deserves a prize for updating Dark Souls out of that shit hole. DRM has served nobody, but the companies that peddle it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
If Denuvo goes down, I'm sure whatever replaces it will be even worse.

There are two outcomes, as far as I can see:

Publishers realize that not even a strong DRM (or "anti-tamper") solution can prevent piracy in the long run and stop including one with their games. It works for GOG, and Steam's implementation is very mild.

OR

They double down on DRM and come up with something even more instrusive and anti-consumer. Because they know users need to feel protected, and the sights and sounds of their games are sacred, etc.

You tell me which one is more likely...

llien

The one noted performance issue not withstanding, what's the hassle for legitimate customers?

Whether or not Denuvo causes noticeable performance hit, is not substantiated EITHER way. It might or it might not, we don't know.

However, neither is claim that having DRM protection boost sales. Most of the statistics in this area come down to "Title X was pirated Y times", without knowing how many of those, who have downloaded the game, would have paid for it, if it was protected.

And then we have AAA titles like Witcher 3, no-DRM crap day 1, selling 4 million copies over 2 weeks. Clearly, piracy as a problem is overrated.

Noobcraft

There are two outcomes, as far as I can see:

Publishers realize that not even a strong DRM (or "anti-tamper") solution can prevent piracy in the long run and stop including one with their games. It works for GOG, and Steam's implementation is very mild.

OR

They double down on DRM and come up with something even more instrusive and anti-consumer. Because they know users need to feel protected, and the sights and sounds of their games are sacred, etc.

You tell me which one is more likely...
Option 2. But it doesn't have anything to do with protecting users, it has everything to do with publishers feeling like they are protecting the value of their IP.

Always online requirement to remotely decrypt continous runtime encryption
please don't fucking do this, anybody

The first part, always online requirement, has failed pretty miserably before, so I'm not sure which publishers who want to revisit that for singleplayer games again.

Chobel

Option 2. But it doesn't have anything to do with protecting users, it has everything to do with publishers feeling like they are protecting the value of their IP.

I'm pretty sure he was making fun of Sony for the way they handled crossplay questions.

Problem being, besides TW3, what games with no DRM did as much?

None.

Completely DRM free comparisons are hard to find, since so few games with that kind of budget and marketing are released as such, but if you include games sold through Steam without any extra DRM, that are as a rule cracked day 1, then there are plenty.

LordRaptor

The first part, always online requirement, has failed pretty miserably before, so I'm not sure which publishers who want to revisit that for singleplayer games again.

I mean... Ubi tanked their sales by doing that, and EA basically killed the SimCity franchise by doing that, but Blizzard were successful doing that with Diablo 3 and Hitman didn't seem to be particularly hurt by doing that.
Its a spectre I don't think is ever going to fully go away, especially as more publishers try and push SaaS more.

Mifec

None.

You don't even have to look at non DRM games, just look at games with steam as drm that get cracked 15 mins after they're out. If they're good games they sell well.

None.

I can give you a list of games with Denuvo and their combined sales don't touch what Witcher 3 managed. If DRM is so important for sales than what happened there chief? Why didn't the DRM ensure that they sold more than the DRM free game?

horkrux

I think you misunderstand me. No one is going to buy a game because they like Denuvo (well, who knows, maybe that's a fetish that exists), but rather because it leaves them no other choice if they really really want to play the game.

Of course some people like yourself will decide against buying a game when they learn it has Denuvo, but how many of those actually exist vs the amount of people I've just mentioned? Who knows, and that's my entire point. And because of that uncertainty I will continue to understand where publishers are coming from when they decide to put DRM into the game. The thing with Denuvo is that is really hasn't affected me negatively yet, despite me having bought countless of those games already. There have been horror stories about the damn thing since Dragon Age Inquisition, but unless you make very specific mistakes, it's just not gonna be a problem right now.

benzopil

Two of my friends bought NieR Automata two or three weeks after it released, because it wasn't cracked. And they pirate everything they can because that's really easy in our country.

Of course they knew that the game will eventually be cracked, but I was so hyped after playing it and they couldn't wait.

When I think of all the sequels using Denuvo that sold worse than their previous iteration, it kind of seems like Denuvo does nothing or in fact harms sales.

Just Cause 3
Dishonored 2
Deus Ex MD
Mass Effect Andromeda
Batman Arkham Knight
Far Cry Primal
Mirrors Edge Catalyst
Watch Dogs 2

Those are just sequels. I only listed those games because we can clearly see that they all sold way less than their predecessors.

Ascheroth

When I think of all the sequels using Denuvo that sold worse than their previous iteration, it kind of seems like Denuvo does nothing or in fact harms sales.

Just Cause 3
Dishonored 2
Deus Ex MD
Mass Effect Andromeda
Batman Arkham Knight
Far Cry Primal
Mirrors Edge Catalyst
Watch Dogs 2

Those are just sequels. I only listed those games because we can clearly see that they all sold way less than their predecessors.
To be fair that's not a particularly helpful metric, since those predecessors have been sold for a longer period and have been in more sales and cheaper.

Budi

People have been wanting to pirate a game, but learned that they can't so they bought it though.

Aklamarth

Budi said:
People have been wanting to pirate a game, but learned that they can't so they bought it though.

People who pirate games on day 1, don't rush to buy it if they can pirate it. IF they buy it , they buy it after a couple of months and some price cuts. And very few Denuvo protected games have remained uncracked for +6 months .

Budi

People who pirate games on day 1, don't rush to buy it if they can pirate it. IF they buy it , they buy it after a couple of months and some price cuts. And very few Denuvo protected games have remained uncracked for +6 months .

Ofcourse some wait, it's smart thing to do even for those who pay for all of their games.

Mohasus

Just Cause 3
Dishonored 2
Deus Ex MD
Mass Effect Andromeda
Batman Arkham Knight
Far Cry Primal
Mirrors Edge Catalyst
Watch Dogs 2

This is a really, really shitty argument.

yurinka

It was in one game only so far.
If you are talking about Rime, it wasn't the case. To remove Denuvo didn't improve the performance/FPS at all. The overhead caused by Denuvo is basically nothing for modern PCs.

To prevent piracy doesn't harm sales. It prevents the game for being pirated at least during a few months or weeks, where most game copies are sold.

People who want to buy a game they buy it. Denuvo doesn't have any negative impact on people who buy games. It only makes angry the people who want to pirate it and can't. It doesn't make sense to avoid buying a game because it has Denuvo.

Mifec

If you are talking about Rime, it wasn't the case. To remove Denuvo didn't improve the performance/FPS at all. The overhead caused by Denuvo is basically nothing for modern PCs.

To prevent piracy doesn't harm sales. It prevents the game for being pirated at least during a few months or weeks, where most game copies are sold.

People who want to buy a game they buy it. Denuvo doesn't have any negative impact on people who buy games. It only makes angry the people who want to pirate it and can't. It doesn't make sense to avoid buying a game because it has Denuvo.

Except I don't pirate games and I also don't buy Denuvo games for full price so you're wrong.

prudislav

Speak for yourself , for me since Starforce fucked my drive .... DRM was always important part of the decision process

You have a whole long thread here, with a long discussion about why it's a perfectly legit opinion to be concerned about Denuvo, as a game who does pay for his/her games. You can learn from that, if you're actually interested.

Top Bottom