• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.I.P. Tupac... 15 Years Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiX-

bishoptl said:
unDLc.jpg

Beautiful.

I only hope that this is what he sees when GAF tells him why he was banned.

I don't like rap but he reminds me a lot of Jim Morrison. both artistic, both political, both incredible wordsmiths/poets. both very bright. both surrounded by people that leeched off him.
although I'm not sure Tupac was always true to himself unlike Jim was on stage.

nns3d

Az987 said:
I agree completely.

Here's one I bet a lot of people have never heard since it was only released on a later greatest hit type album.

Dopefiend's diner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsbHerIlupM

I really love that song. I don't think there's really any other 2pac song like it because of how hes kind of singing it. I'm not sure when he made it but I'm sure its pre death row. It's a pretty sad song.

It's a 2pacalypse Now-era track, that's for sure. Most the time when he's not talking anything thuggish and his voice sounds that young, I usually assume that it's a scrap from the 2pacalypse Now sessions.

Resist the Temptation was on that Greatest Hits compilation too. They're both good songs, but honestly, there's so much Tupac material (DR or otherwise), that I'm surprised that they haven't released a Tupac album in the last 5 years.

desa

shuri said:
A privileged child who bought into the thuglife persona he created to sell records and died from it. So much wasted potential!

Yeah, growing up without a dad and a crack head for a momma is real privileged.

He ain't the greatest lyricist, but I just can help but feel it. He had a real powerful and commanding voice that compliments his beats.

With that said, I can help but laugh how many times he rhymes enemies and hennesey lol.

Great overall artist though. RIP. I'm ready for the Tupacalypse!

YoungHav

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
Beautiful.

I only hope that this is what he sees when GAF tells him why he was banned.
lmao!! Best banning ever. How long was that fool banned for?
desa said:
With that said, I can help but laugh how many times he rhymes enemies and hennesey lol.

Great overall artist though. RIP. I'm ready for the Tupacalypse!
LOL! I'm drinkin' hennessy lookin' fo ma enemiiieeez!

joedan

The intro to Tupac's Pain song "I can't help but to feel your pain", where is it from? A movie? And why is there some connection to Dave Chappelle in my mind? Someone help me out.

nns3d

joedan said:
The intro to Tupac's Pain song "I can't help but to feel your pain", where is it from? A movie? And why is there some connection to Dave Chappelle in my mind? Someone help me out.

1. It's from Star Trek.

2. One of his skits is a parody of Tupac's style and how he always talks about his death.

Chuck said:
Awesome OP, Afro.

2Pac is the greatest of all time. Changes is my favorite rap song.

Thanks man.

It sucks that his posthumous stuff was handled so poorly. There were plenty of solid verses that were put out but the production on a lot of it was complete shiet and/or stuff you'd never imagine coming from Tupac. Not that he didn't have his soft stuff before death but no where near as cookie cutter as some of the crap put out after.

nns3d

RBelong2Us said:
It sucks that his posthumous stuff was handled so poorly. There were plenty of solid verses that were put out but the production on a lot of it was complete shiet and/or stuff you'd never imagine coming from Tupac. Not that he didn't have his soft stuff before death but no where near as cookie cutter as some of the crap put out after.

I thought that they did an OK job with the releases up to and including the Resurrection OST... obviously R U Still Down was the most "pure" of the posthumous albums (if we don't consider Makaveli a true posthumous album). The majority of songs were kept in their original form and were either remixed due to failing to get the sample cleared, which is understandable. They only started to heavily remix songs when they found out that they could make an even bigger profit off of it (iirc Until the End of Time is the most successful of the posthumous albums and it contained a lot of remixes, but it could also be because of the time it was released, since it was the first pac album which had DR material and it being the first Tupac album of the new millennium). However, Loyal to the Game was a horrible release (whoever thought that it was a good idea to have a drugged out Eminem handle a Tupac album should've been fired), and Pac's Life was obviously a cheap cash-in on the 10th Anniversary of his murder.

mackaveli said:
has there been any unreleased songs leak onto the net lately?

I used to be such a die hard fan and would always check message boards if unreleased songs would release and stuff like that.

Like is there any new tupac stuff from 2006 to 2011?

There's been a TON of material leaked (especially from 2009-2011 due to the record company WideAwake or whatever they're called. Apparently they were supposed to release a Tupac album this year, but they ran into a lot of legal issues. And people from the company have been selling the songs used for the album to the fans). Some material just leaked a couple of days ago actually lol. Many of the newest leaks have been a mix of new material and highly sought-after material in near CDQ (Road 2 Glory, Reincarnation). In addition, one of the biggest leaks of this year was the Makaveli demo, which leaked in July.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I like how he came to the same conclusion as the rest of us :p

It's an interesting insight into what I was saying on page 2 about Tupac not being a total thug originally:

Tupac wanted to be nice. The world wouldn't let him.

J-Rzez

Just thinking about his music makes me go back to HS, and relive the glory days of rap music. Because after the 90s it started to lose it's shine. Towards the end of the 2000's, rap is merely a hollow shell of what it once was. Sure, you have one or two ok songs hit here and there, but it's nothing compared to the glory days of rap. Today's rap is instantly forgettable for the most part, lyrically, and track wise.

Recon

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Just thinking about his music makes me go back to HS, and relive the glory days of rap music. Because after the 90s it started to lose it's shine. Towards the end of the 2000's, rap is merely a hollow shell of what it once was. Sure, you have one or two ok songs hit here and there, but it's nothing compared to the glory days of rap. Today's rap is instantly forgettable for the most part, lyrically, and track wise.

Someone doesnt listen to the right rappers then. Todays music is excellent.

Tupac has the highest number of records sold amongst rappers in North America, right? It's probably really close between him and Eminem ever since the last two Em albums.

nns3d

RBelong2Us said:
Tupac has the highest number of records sold amongst rappers in North America, right? I think #2 is Jay-Z who is about 10 million behind.

I'm pretty sure Eminem dethroned Tupac in terms of sales awhile ago.

Afrocentric-Asian said:
I'm pretty sure Eminem dethroned Tupac in terms of sales awhile ago.

Ha, my edit was too slow. Yeah they are probably in the same ballpark now. The one thing I remember hearing is that Death Row had to pay some type of fee to continue following and certifying the number of albums sold from old Tupac albums and they never did, so it's hard to gauge how much higher albums like All Eyez on Me and his Greatest Hits album actually sold.

I believe both Tupac and Em are around 40 million though.

It's been a long time. His verse on Bone's Art Of War album was so raw. I don't think anyone has came that close to perfection in Rap. His delivery was just fueled with emotions.

I will never forget the first time I heard Brenda's Got A Baby.

dankir

bishoptl said:

BISHOPTL BRINGING THE FUCKING HEAT WHAT!

All Eyez on Me, nuff said and How do you want it, unrated XXX video nuff said :D

Got my mind up, Check out time, Amerikkkaz Most Wanted, Ambitionz Az a Ridah, etc.

Flawless shit right there.

RIP.

nns3d

Alright, updated the OP with the posthumous material, and I'll probably bump this again with more stuff as time goes on.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Yeah man, just in case that first post suddenly grows.

Heh, turns out I WILL have to use that second post :p

Pinko Marx said:
So while we're appreciating 2pac, theres this dope new artist who has a song that samples Hail Mary.
http://www.blindiforthekids.com/2011/08/mckenzie-eddy-young-platinum/

The way they used the beat is... interesting to say the least.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
bishoptl said:
Oh, you can dislike Tupac all you want. Go see the yearly edition of the "Tupac vs Biggie" argument that's been going on here since 2000 or so. What's intolerable is some smug, self-satisfied poster strolling into the thread and shitting on the musical - yes, musical - talent involved in hip-hop and rap in general...and Tupac in particular. If he had a point to make, it was lost in the sheer assholery of his delivery.

Thankfully I don't have to suffer fools, gladly or otherwise.

there are tupac vs biggie threads here? how the hell have i missed them?

R.I.P.
Tupac Shakur

Also I really hate it when some say 2Pac was never good technically, when there's enough songs to prove it untrue. His flow, delivery, energy, voice and lyrics were always on point. He'll always be may favorite rapper.

Also All Eyez On Me has many examples of my favorite production in hiphop ever, if it wasn't for the filler it would have easily be my number one hip hop album next to Illmatic.

Az987

all good things
2real4tv said:
So much mystery surrounding Biggie and 2pac's death...how did that Outlaws dude get killed?

It was something like his cousin handed him a loaded gun and it went off and shot and killed him. Then there was all this stuff saying he was the only one willing to talk to the police but I don't know if that was true. I don't think they charged whoever killed him and it happened in New Jersey.

That was a shame too because he was the best outlaw.

R.I.P. Tupac Shakur

Strike

2real4tv said:
So much mystery surrounding Biggie and 2pac's death...how did that Outlaws dude get killed?
He was shot in the head in a stairwell of a housing project about two months after Pac died.

Apoc87

Banned
levious said:
complete disregard and disrespect for an entire genre of music and a condescending attitude towards anyone who doesn't agree. I don't see how you could get "simply not liking Tupac" out of his remarks.

People do that in the gaming forum all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom