• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist tirade on Sydney bus rattles Chinese-Australian woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
i never get people like this, disgusting

vids iin link
1443162266067.jpg
A Chinese-Australian woman, subjected to a slew of racial abuse on a Sydney bus, pleaded for help from the driver but says no one came to her aid.

Lindsay Li was waiting in Willoughby for the city-bound 273 bus at lunchtime on Wednesday when she says an older woman came up to her, spat on her and struck her with her shopping trolley, before pushing ahead of her to get on to the bus when it pulled up.

When the woman reeled around on the bus and began throwing racist insults at Ms Li, the younger woman pulled out her phone and began filming.

The woman was "screaming in a racial tirade, just calling me every name under the sun", Ms Li, 29, told Fairfax Media.

"I'm feeling so threatened at this point ... I've gone to the bus driver: 'You need to stop and call the police.' And he has just completely ignored me and kept driving and I'm screaming at him, going: 'You need to stop the bus now.' "

No one intervened, Ms Li said.

This woman allegedly hurled abuse at Lindsay Li on the bus.
This woman allegedly hurled abuse at Lindsay Li on the bus. Photo: Supplied
"I was completely terrified. No one was standing up for me. This woman was so unstable I thought she could physically attack me at any time," Ms Li said.

She posted the 90-second video to Facebook on Wednesday, writing: "So this happened to me today. Its [sic] unbelievable the amount of hate one person can spew out. She honestly needs a bullet to the head!"

The woman bears a striking resemblance to a woman caught on video shouting racist abuse at a Chinese-Australian couple in a Sydney park in August.

In Wednesday's video, the older woman calls Ms Li a "f---ing ugly f---ing chink" and accuses her of selling drugs.

"We all know what you are, China … Take your f---ing language and piss off, f---ing chink," she says.

"I'm Jewish from Israel and you are f---ing nothing."

Ms Li doesn't respond during the video.

"I was just sitting there waiting for the bus, and this woman crosses the road, she approaches me, like she's seen me as a target," Ms Li said.

When Ms Li got off at her usual stop in Crows Nest, the older woman followed and continued her screaming rant.

Ms Li was so shocked she reported the incident to the police.

NSW Police confirmed they had received a report of alleged offensive behaviour on a Sydney bus on Wednesday and the incident was under investigation.

"It just makes you lose a little bit more faith in humanity," Ms Li wrote on her Facebook page.

A spokeswoman for State Transit said racism on the buses in any way, shape or form was not condoned.

"We will be investigating this matter further and if required, will take appropriate action," she said in a statement.

"State Transit works closely with the Police Transport Command and Police local area commands to reduce instances of antisocial behaviour on our buses. We encourage customers to report acts of racism to NSW Police."

A woman with a strikingly similar appearance, accent and voice as the woman in Ms Li's video made headlines in August when footage emerged of her launching a racist tirade at a Chinese-Australian couple eating lunch in Wynyard Park.

The woman accused the couple of "taking all the jobs" and demanded they give up their seat for another Anglo-Saxon woman because they were Asian

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/no-one-he...-chineseaustralian-woman-20150924-gju6md.html

kingwingin

Why did she want the bus driver to call the police? Did she not have a phone? Did the bus driver witness her getting spot on?

After spending a few weeks un Sydney my sister was shocked at how much some australians hated Asian immigrants over there. Seems it wasn't just a bad experience.

Damerman

Bitch be jelly of Ms. Li.

""I'm Jewish from Israel and you are f---ing nothing."

interesting....

this caught my eye also.

people love to go in on how muslim culture is toxic... but every one ignores the sense of superiority Jewish culture perpetuates within it's people.

also, I'm not saying all australians are bad, but i've sworn off visiting it because of what i heard.

I've meet a couple of autralians and they were really nice(very very nice and conversational), but they all had particular things that made it hard for them to be racist. the first was a physics teacher(one of the best teachers i ever had), but he was an Evangelical christian missionary in Haiti... the second was in paris, but she was a lesbian and her partner was an aboriginal australian... and the last were a set of dudes who seemed mixed race(or very tanned), but they had N.W.A. tattoos and they loved NBA.

Why did she want the bus driver to call the police? Did she not have a phone? Did the bus driver witness her getting spot on?

I would expect the bus driver to call the police. They should have protocol in place to deal with this situation: location, bus number, etc. And the woman was busy using her phone to take video of the incident. Could she have called before or after taking video? Sure, but I would want to record video the entire time until the entire incident was resolved.

Desean101

Banned
this caught my eye also.

people love to go in on how muslim culture is toxic... but every one ignores the sense of superiority Jewish culture perpetuates within it's people.

Very true but I give Jews a bit of slack since they have been the whipping boys for anyone that has a bit of power anywhere. I mean seriously its Negroes and Jews who seem to be at the bottom of totem pole all the time man.

But yeah the shit she is spitting is straight abuse and she should get some time for assault, Also WtF no one defends her? Was there not one set of balls on the bus? Or is it really that bad for Asians in Australia?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
this caught my eye also.

I understand the implication behind your post, but it doesn't help to say, in other words, "Everyone likes to point to Muslims for having toxic cultures, yet look at the Jews".

What is that conducive to? There are bigots and ethnocentricity in every culture.

suzu

Disgusting.

Well even if he didn't call the cops for her, he could've stopped the bus and kicked the racist lady off or told her to knock it off.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
After spending a few weeks un Sydney my sister was shocked at how much some australians hated Asian immigrants over there. Seems it wasn't just a bad experience.

Ditto on this, friend went there for school and was surprised at the amount of racism that occured againist Asians

JDSN

Banned
Slayven would have intervened and tell that asshole a thing or two.

Not because of the racism tho.

Edit: And before its posted, she telling that the woman needs to be shot does not mean that "both sides are the same"(TM).

see5harp

I don't have first hand knowledge of race relations in Austrailia but I do remember seeing Romper Stomper years ago. It's strange that you would go after someone who is fully integrated into Austrailian society. I know that there are tons of Koreans, Vietnamese, and Chinese so I'm confused why she is specifically targeting the Chinese.

cameron

The bus driver should've intervened once he was alerted. Transit services need to have zero tolerance for that kind of behaviour. It's a serious safety issue.

The old lady is miserable and crazy.

Damerman

What is that conducive to? There are bigots and ethnocentricity in every culture.

therein lies the problem... no one believes this. or at least not many. If more people realized this, Israel would not be getting away with all of the bullshit they are pulling on the gaza strip and west bank.

Walpurgis

Banned
Ditto on this, friend went there for school and was surprised at the amount of racism that occured againist Asians
After hearing about what the government is doing to migrants and that story about that little indigenous girl who was insulted by a grown woman, I think Australia has a racism problem. Can anyone who lives there talk about it?

diamount

Banned
I don't have first hand knowledge of race relations in Austrailia but I do remember seeing Romper Stomper years ago. It's strange that you would go after someone who is fully integrated into Austrailian society. I know that there are tons of Koreans, Vietnamese, and Chinese so I'm confused why she is specifically targeting the Chinese.

These sorts of racists label anyone Asian as Chinese.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
For any Americans that are confused, a bus is like a subway car the travels above ground, and it's where poor people perfect their racist ranting in Australia.

Goliath

this caught my eye also.

also, I'm not saying all australians are bad, but i've sworn off visiting it because of what i heard.

I've meet a couple of autralians and they were really nice(very very nice and conversational), but they all had particular things that made it hard for them to be racist. the first was a physics teacher(one of the best teachers i ever had), but he was an Evangelical christian missionary in Haiti... the second was in paris, but she was a lesbian and her partner was an aboriginal australian... and the last were a set of dudes who seemed mixed race(or very tanned), but they had N.W.A. tattoos and they loved NBA.

I don't think the Jewish culture perpetuates a sense of superiority anymore than Christianity. In fact they are significantly humbler and even having some of the same stories in that are in the Bible, accepted Gay Marriage which is still not accepted by most Christian sects.

This woman is disgusting and a poor example of humanity but she does not represent my experience with Jews as a whole in any way shape or form.

Goliath

therein lies the problem... no one believes this. or at least not many. If more people realized this, Israel would not be getting away with all of the bullshit they are pulling on the gaza strip and west bank.

The situation in the West Bank and Gaza Strip is FAR more complicated then boiling it down to "Bigotry" on Israel's end.

Basically.

Common stereotypes in America
-All Hispanics/Latinos = Mexicans(even Spaniards that look like Antonio Banderas or Penelope Cruz).
-All East/Southeast Asians = Chinese(even though America went to war with 3 Asian countries, none of which were Chinese)

see5harp

I suppose so. The strange thing to me is that this woman sounds like an immigrant herself. A lot of the Asian people she's talking to quite possibly have been Australian their entire lives or have lived there far longer than she has.

Ban Puncher

Such a culturally diverse suburb as Chatswood, with a sizeable and long established Asian population, seems like a really odd choice to have your Racist Meltdown on Public Transport™ moment.

Goliath

They literally refer to themselves as God's chosen people.

Actually it's in the Torah and the Bible. The text refers to them as God's chosen people. Now a minority that has suffered as long as they have, is it really that surprising that in their text they believe they are picked on because they are special? That's like the premise of every Hero story every told.

Chichikov

The situation in the West Bank and Gaza Strip is FAR more complicated then boiling it down to "Bigotry" on Israel's end.
It is, but Israel is an amazingly racist country.
Like over 80% of Israeli Jews wouldn't let their daughter marry a muslim and over 50% (up to 2/3rd in some polls) wouldn't want an Arab neighbor.
It's a serious serious problem there.

entremet

Like over 80% of Israeli Jews wouldn't let their daughter marry a muslim and over 50% (up to 2/3rd in some polls) wouldn't want an Arab neighbor.

Given the history of its founding, I'm not surprised that's the case.

Kurdel

Banned

So what you're saying is you aren't surprised to see a jewish woman being racist, because eveyone gives them a free pass?

Goliath

Inter-racial marriage is very complicated and can be difficult. In the U.S. since 1967 we have made it easy for these kind of marriages and still in 2010 inter-racial marriages only make up 2.9% of marriages.

Now on top of this already complicated situation, tie in differences in faith and it's not surprising to see that people want their children to marry within the faith. Do you honestly believe that the Muslim community approve of marrying outside of their faith anymore then Jews?

Trying to condemn Israel for not wanting to marry outside their faith is silly, especially when you look at the rest of the world. At least in Israel people have the option to remain their faith and if your married outside of Israel the state recognizes it. How do you think a mixed marriage would work in many of the Middle Eastern Muslim nations. Not so well.

Bitch be jelly of Ms. Li.

""I'm Jewish from Israel and you are f---ing nothing."

interesting....
Not really.
Witnessing the existence of a racist and xenophobic toxic far right in Israel isn't exactly finding life on Mars, and I don't think people usually pretend otherwise. It informs about Israelis as much as about any nationality or culture in the world, as these parties exist everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom