• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist tirade on Sydney bus rattles Chinese-Australian woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Window

Reminds me of a time when a random crazy racist man started yelling at my mum in a supermarket about being a dirty immigrant. My mum said nothing back.

The store clerk asked my mum to leave the store.

The fucking gall.

Ever watch Border Security: Australia's Front Line? The staff are so fucking racist it's unbelieveable. Pretty much any Asian person coming into Australia is assumed to be a drug mule and treated as such. The disrespect shown is disgusting...and that's only the stuff shown "proudly" on camera. God knows what doesn't make the edit.

The Candadian version is so tame and polite in comparison. "Oh hey, you seem to have a car full of weed and gun aye. You're gonna have to turn back, ok? Have a nice day!"

Not to mention most of the 'drama' is due to misunderstandings caused by miscommunication because most of them aren't fluent in English.

orochi91

Reminds me of a time when a random crazy racist man started yelling at my mum in a supermarket about being a dirty immigrant. My mum said nothing back.

Oh shit, where was this?

US or AUS?

Did you take this up with management?

Goliath

Once again, "What-about-ism" is no excuse; you can downplay Israel's shitty conduct all you want by bringing up irrelevant countries who have nothing to do with this article.

And the racist in the article singled out Jews/Israel and this apparent sense of superiority herself. I merely made the most obvious connection as to why some folks like her would do that.

She spoke for herself and herself alone. You took one viral video and one crazy racist and generalized an entire religion and country. Her actions justified your generalizations of an entire group of people in your mind. That's what this is about.

Spladam

Oh shit, where was this?

US or AUS?

Did you take this up with management?

I was playing Terraria with an Australian dude I met on the Demonoid IRC channel about a month ago who continued to rant about how awful Muslims are so much that I had to make an excuse to quit the game. We did have 4 epic boss fights with another Australian before I quit, so it wasn't a total wash.

AlStrong

I'm shamed mainly because nobody spoke up. I would have given her a mouthful.

9DJmNt0.png

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
My wife is Asian and at the supermarket yesterday she was ahead of me pushing the pram and almost collided with some old bag pushing her trolly. This woman then stopped and gave my wife such a death stare I couldn't believe it. I don't think she knew I was with her and when I said, 'what are you looking at?' she quickly pissed off

suzu

It's shameful that nobody stood up for her.

Reminds me of when my mom (Asian) was also randomly yelled at by a racist guy on the train and no one spoke up (she doesn't speak English well). She ended up moving to another car, because he wouldn't let up and she was scared. This was in NYC. :/

Damerman

It's shameful that nobody stood up for her.

Reminds me of when my mom (Asian) was also randomly yelled at by a racist guy on the train and no one spoke up (she doesn't speak English well). She ended up moving to another car, because he wouldn't let up and she got scared. This was in NYC. :/

sheesh... it's hard to tell how you would react if you saw something like that happening in front of you, it's still shameful to do nothing though.

justjohn

I'm black and I lived in Brisbane with my white Australian girlfriend for two years and I didn't encounter a single racist incident. I did travel to Sydney, Perth and spent time in Darwin as well as the outback. That's just my experience though, and perhaps they made comments behind my back and I'm sure others will have negative experiences but I really don't buy Australia as this super racist country. My opinion anyway.

Disgusting behavior from that old washed-up beach-head hag, but even more disgusting how no one told her to stop. I mean, really? All these grown people (well, supposedly grown people) acting like scared little kids and/or indifferent zombies unable to stop a fellow human being's pain and anguish?

I'd lose faith in humanity too seeing such cowardice in front of my face.

Even hard core racist are not that confrontational in public when unprovoked.

-Edit: I've from the south, home of some of the most outspoken of them.

Seems she is a little unhinged or was having a shitty day and couldn't hold in her racism for a second longer, but it's hard to believe that there are people out there who would have no problem with being openly racist and going into deep racist rants.

AUS seems to be a special case where people feel more comfortable doing this than they might in other countries.

How that indicate of racism in Australia as a whole? You know Australia is a big fucking country right?

No shit? How is it not indicative? Aboriginal treatment is an institutional problem thus is directly a problem with the country as a whole regardless of it's size. Pretty much like America and its treatment of blacks.

I'm black and I lived in Brisbane with my white Australian girlfriend for two years and I didn't encounter a single racist incident. I did travel to Sydney, Perth and spent time in Darwin as well as the outback. That's just my experience though, and perhaps they made comments behind my back and I'm sure others will have negative experiences but I really don't buy Australia as this super racist country. My opinion anyway.

This is the equivalent a black person saying they've lived in America their entire life and have never experienced racism or have been stopped by the cops and they don't buy that America is a racist country. Or someone saying that they were pulled over and as a result feel that whites are the ones who are discriminated against.

Come on bruh anecdotal evidence never amounts to anything.

Spladam

Seems she is a little unhinged or was having a shitty day and couldn't hold in her racism for a second longer, but it's hard to believe that there are people out there who would have no problem with being openly racist and going into deep racist rants.

AUS seems to be a special case where people feel more comfortable doing this than they might in other countries.

Well, in the south, if you put some beers in them and put them around other racist, it's as you say. It just sucks when they are your family members and your friends are there....

Note: My mothers siblings.... it's crazy, some of my cousins are almost as bad, and EVERYTHING is Obama's fault, really stupid shit you would never think Obama could have any influence on.

diamount

Banned
This is the equivalent a black person saying they've lived in America their entire life and have never experienced racism or have been stopped by the cops and they don't buy that America is a racist country. Or someone saying that they were pulled over and as a result feel that whites are the ones who are discriminated against.

Come on bruh anecdotal evidence never amounts to anything.

Don't use the Black treatment in America analogy, it is not comparative to the rest of the world at all.

orochi91

She spoke for herself and herself alone. You took one viral video and one crazy racist and generalized an entire religion and country. Her actions justified your generalizations of an entire group of people in your mind. That's what this is about.

Riiiiight, it's as if entire groups of hardcore racist Israelis don't exist, who get a free-pass to incrementally displace native people from their homeland and consistently flout international laws.

Her behaviour is totally not the product of Israeli/Jewish sense of superiority engendered through decades of rogue conduct. /s

Lmao

Don't use the Black treatment in America analogy, it is not comparative to the rest of the world at all.

Oh is this one of those "Sure it's an institutional problem that's really really bad, but we're not America bad, so really it's not that bad, so don't say Australia is bad because it's a big country" arguments?
*zzzzzz*

If you want to play oppression olympics go ahead. But the people affected don't look at it and go "Well, we're totes not treated bad as blacks in America, we need to stop complaining!"

orochi91

How is that indicative of racism in Australia as a whole? You know Australia is a big fucking country right?

Of course Australia comes off as largely racist, look at how disenfranchised your Aboriginals are and how migrants are portrayed there.

This reminds me of Canada a bit. I always shake my head when folks assume Canada is some some sort of muli-cultural haven, considering how poor our Natives are treated.

diamount

Banned
Oh is this one of those "Sure it's an institutional problem that's really really bad, but we're not America bad, so really it's not that bad, so don't say Australia is bad because it's a big country" arguments?
*zzzzzz*

If you want to play oppression olympics go ahead. But the people affected don't look at it and go "Well, we're totes not treated bad as blacks in America, we need to stop complaining!"

Why are you jumping to unrelated points? We're not talking about America yet you wanted to shoehorn that in for whatever reason, racism in the workplace is far less so a problem in Australia because it is vital for a skilled workforce, and they have anti-discrimination laws for that purpose. To attract skilled immigrants that would be a fucking vital thing to nail down, I'd think.

Is that right? lol..

There is nothing to the extent in the USA in the developed world, I can guarantee you that.

Cagey

Banned
Riiiiight, it's as if entire groups of hardcore racist Israelis don't exist, who get a free-pass to incrementally displace native people from their homeland and consistently flout international laws.

Her behaviour is totally not the product of Israeli/Jewish sense of superiority engendered through decades of rogue conduct. /s

Lmao

Bigotry isn't the way to appropriately critique bigotry.

EDIT: and the "(sarcastic statement) /s" means of arguing on this board is as tiresome as it is ineffective.

diamount

Banned
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/18072/production/_84581489_calais_pepperspray_afp.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

Yes, let's show an image without any contextual information. But I will engage you if you are actually interested in a discussion and not drive-by trolling. How does someone getting pepper sprayed indicate racism? Because that is standard police procedure for riot control and uncooperative people. Not the ideal situation but if there is a language barrier and that man is trying to cross the border, not much else you can do to stop them.

Yes, let's show an image without any contextual information. But I will engage you if you are actually interested in a discussion and not drive-by trolling. How does someone getting pepper sprayed indicate racism? Because that is standard police procedure for riot control and uncooperative people. Not the ideal situation but if there is a language barrier and that man is trying to cross the border, not much else you can do to stop them.
So by your very own implied assertion, what happened between protesters and police in Ferguson and Baltimore had no racial implications from the police there, correct?

Can't tell if you were born daft or got bopped in the head to be this daft or just like playing daft, but daft it is.

Anyway I'm not here looking to get in long-winded debates and people using intentionally obfuscating POV to try and downplay one country's problems compared to another (or worst yet, using the "yeah we got it bad but we're not as bad off as the (insert other minority group)!", which slightly reeks of bragging over a microscopic pyrrhic victory) isn't my cup of tea, nor does it help to address the topic at hand.

diamount

Banned
So by your very own implied assertion, what happened between protesters and police in Ferguson and Baltimore had no racial implications from the police there, correct?

Can't tell if you were born daft or got bopped in the head to be this daft or just like playing daft, but daft it is.

Anyway I'm not here looking to get in long-winded debates and people using intentionally obfuscating POV to try and downplay one country's problems compared to another (or worst yet, using the "yeah we got it bad but we're not as bad off as the (insert other minority group)!", which slightly reeks of bragging over a microscopic pyrrhic victory) isn't my cup of tea, nor does it help to address the topic at hand.

I'm not the one who started the comparison of treatment of minorities in other coutnre,s that was Angelus - when he/she was calling out someones personally experience as anecdotal despite probably not actually having any experience living there and then comparing it to the USA, where the culture is so utterly different you might as well be compare it to Mars. Plus the whole anti-discrimination thing where they would NEED to make sure racism is stamped out in the workplace or they risk people leaving the country.

But great job assuming someone has a mental disability for not agreeing with you, you'll fit well here.

It is, but Israel is an amazingly racist country.
Like over 80% of Israeli Jews wouldn't let their daughter marry a muslim and over 50% (up to 2/3rd in some polls) wouldn't want an Arab neighbor.
It's a serious serious problem there.

So Israeli settlers (the majority) don't want a one-state solution?

Jenov

oh this is cute..

"Australian Bureau of Statistics figures showed that Indigenous people accounted for 25 percent of Australia's prison population in 2009.[3] The age-standardised imprisonment rate for Indigenous people was 1,891 people per 100,000 of adult population, while for non-Indigenous people it was 136, which meant that the imprisonment rate for Indigenous people was 14 times higher than that of non-Indigenous people. The imprisonment rate for Indigenous people had increased from 1,248 per 100,000 of adult population in 2000, while it remained stable for non-Indigenous people.[4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Australians_and_crime#Prisoners

So 2.3% of Australia's population makes up 25% of the overall prison population. Not a problem eh?

diamount said:
...comparing it to the USA, where the culture is so utterly different you might as well be compare it to Mars.

The difference between Earth and Mars? lol.

diamount

Banned
oh this is cute..

"Australian Bureau of Statistics figures showed that Indigenous people accounted for 25 percent of Australia's prison population in 2009.[3] The age-standardised imprisonment rate for Indigenous people was 1,891 people per 100,000 of adult population, while for non-Indigenous people it was 136, which meant that the imprisonment rate for Indigenous people was 14 times higher than that of non-Indigenous people. The imprisonment rate for Indigenous people had increased from 1,248 per 100,000 of adult population in 2000, while it remained stable for non-Indigenous people.[4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Australians_and_crime#Prisoners

So 2.3% of Australia's population makes up 25% of the overall prison population. Not a problem eh?

The difference between Earth and Mars? lol.

I think you just wanted to post disproportionate statistics without actually reading the reasons behind them, because there are plenty listed on there. Socioeconomically reasons sure, but that will breed that kind of crime rate. Same goes for any white poor area, you will find the crime and arrest rates are high there too.

I think you just wanted to post disproportionate statistics without actually reading the reasons behind them, because there are plenty listed on there. Socioeconomically reasons sure, but that will breed that kind of crime rate. Same goes for any white poor area, you will find the crime and arrest rates are high there too.

You realize people say the same thing about black crime/arrest rates in America?

Jenov

Huh, those reasons sounds a lot like the ones people say about America too.

bomma_man

How is that indicative of racism in Australia as a whole? You know Australia is a big fucking country right?

The whole country is complicit in this shit.

It's not as visible in Tasmania or Victoria because we fucking killed or forceably removed them all.

Condom

Disgusting behavior from that old washed-up beach-head hag, but even more disgusting how no one told her to stop. I mean, really? All these grown people (well, supposedly grown people) acting like scared little kids and/or indifferent zombies unable to stop a fellow human being's pain and anguish?

I'd lose faith in humanity too seeing such cowardice in front of my face.

Yup it's getting ridiculous (how far things can go without someone helping). Some people are individualistic as fuck and just care about themselves.

I love when people from other places claim America is the most racist place.

"America is so racist oh what zwart piet? No, black face isn't racist here because Al Jolson was never a thing here idk."

"Oh my god America is so racist, my beloved Japan is so go....paying migrant workers to leave forever? No I just don't see how that's racist."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom