• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist tirade on Sydney bus rattles Chinese-Australian woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose so. The strange thing to me is that this woman sounds like an immigrant herself. A lot of the Asian people she's talking to quite possibly have been Australian their entire lives or have lived there far longer than she has.

I admit it was a bit racist of me to assume the Asian woman would have the foreign accent and the racist to be native. I heard two Aussie women in Trader Joe's today and thought what a great accent it is.

Goliath

no matter how complicated it gets, the bigotry is the linchpin that will always stifle progress.

The Bigotry swings both ways. How do think Israel feels when they hear Iranians demanding the destruction of Israel as well as many of their Arab neighbors supporting terrorist groups who claim the same.

The Palestinian land dispute is difficult to manage. I don't agree with the way they are handling it and hope for a resolution but I don't agree with oversimplifying it to just "bigotry" nor do I solely blame Israel.

I suppose so. The strange thing to me is that this woman sounds like an immigrant herself. A lot of the Asian people she's talking to quite possibly have been Australian their entire lives or have lived there far longer than she has.

Seems obvious she doesn't feel like an immigrant, if she is one.

I wonder why...

Damerman

So what you're saying is you aren't surprised to see a jewish woman being racist, because eveyone gives them a free pass?

well, thats part of it... everyone seems to think because they are a minority who have been persecuted (some of the worst and most constant persecutions, from the pogroms in Ukraine/Russia to the inquisition to the Holocaust) through out history, they are just an unassuming religious group.

the second part is that after the fact, and being in the position of privilege in terms of what Israel is, they were able to run away with very bigoted and extremely conservative aspects of their culture stemming from their religion.

I'm not saying all jewish women are like this... in fact, other than arabs, Jews are some of the most staunch adversaries of Zionism. a lot of Jews were able to progress from that part of the culture and have assimilated in various parts of any given society very well while still maintaining Judaic customs.

Damerman

You're parroting one antisemitic stereotype. It seems reasonable to suspect you might agree with others.

saying that culture has been affected by radical religion is antisemitic rhetoric?

get to the core of the issue and admit that you were out for blood and your presumptuousness got the best of you.

out of everyone who quoted me, you are the only one accusing me of being antisemitic or sharing antisemitic beliefs.

Chichikov

Inter-racial marriage is very complicated and can be difficult. In the U.S. since 1967 we have made it easy for these kind of marriages and still in 2010 inter-racial marriages only make up 2.9% of marriages.

Now on top of this already complicated situation, tie in differences in faith and it's not surprising to see that people want their children to marry within the faith. Do you honestly believe that the Muslim community approve of marrying outside of their faith anymore then Jews?

Trying to condemn Israel for not wanting to marry outside their faith is silly, especially when you look at the rest of the world. At least in Israel people have the option to remain their faith and if your married outside of Israel the state recognizes it. How do you think a mixed marriage would work in many of the Middle Eastern Muslim nations. Not so well.
Umm, considering that Jews can't even marry muslims (or Christians for that matter) in Israel I think it's perfectly fair.
And I don't really accept the "it's a religion" defense, I mean, slavery was justified by theology in the US (can someone maybe remind me why southern Baptist is still a thing? but I digress).

Dude Abides

Banned
saying that culture has been affected by radical religion is antisemitic rhetoric?

Saying Jews think they're better than everyone else is antisemitic rhetoric. Glad that you're backpedaling now but that's what you said.

get to the core of the issue and admit that you were out for blood and your presumptuousness got the best of you.

out of everyone who quoted me, you are the only one accusing me of being antisemitic or sharing antisemitic beliefs.

Get to the core of the issue and admit that you spouted an antisemitic stereotype. Who cares what other people are accusing you of? Fact is you said something quite shitty, maybe out of ignorance, but you said it.

orochi91

That must have been the most unsettling moment of her life as she called for help and got 0 response from anyone on that bus.

The driver especially is deplorable; the authorities better come down on him hard and the police need to find this woman, who seems to have a habit for terrorizing Asians.

this caught my eye also.

people love to go in on how muslim culture is toxic... but every one ignores the sense of superiority Jewish culture perpetuates within it's people.

Given the sheer leeway and favoritism Israel receives in virtually all matter on the international stage, despite its horrific human right's record, it's no wonder some of its citizens have developed such a superiority complex.

PARANO1A

also, I'm not saying all australians are bad, but i've sworn off visiting it because of what i heard.

As an Australian I keep seeing this ridiculous opinion thrown about. We are not a racist place. We have a few idiots like the rest of the world. We are one of, if not often the most multicultural places in the world. Rural areas and low socioeconomic areas tend to be full of hicks however.

Assuming you're American... You have presidential candidates thanking about building a wall to keep out Mexicans. That is what you can call a racist culture. Every week I see an article about your police - not citizens but your law enforcement - shooting innocent black people dead. Imagine if someone told you they are too scared to visit Android because of its racism.

I'm sure I'll hear about how it's different and not representative. Think before you post a stupid, offensive opinion then.

On topic, hope the bigot gets the book thrown at her. Awesome to see the police intervene so quickly.

The Llama

As an Australian I keep seeing this ridiculous opinion thrown about. We are not a racist place. We have a few idiots like the rest of the world. We are one of, if not often the most multicultural places in the world. Rural areas and low socioeconomic areas tend to be full of hicks however.

So you're almost exactly like America then? Lol.

Goliath

Umm, considering that Jews can't even marry muslims (or Christians for that matter) in Israel I think it's perfectly fair.
And I don't really accept the "it's a religion" defense, I mean, slavery was justified by theology in the US (can someone maybe remind me why southern Baptist is still a thing? but I digress).

I don't agree with the marriage laws in Israel but they recognize those marriages if they happen outside of Israel. Yea it's an annoying work around but unlike other places in the Middle East they do recognize inter-faith unions if done outside of Israel.

I never used the religious defense. I don't agree with using the Bible to justify anything, my point is most people don't marry outside of their race even when they are the same religion. Now factoring in race and religion, it's not surprising most people don't marry outside of their religion. It's not easy to marry outside of your religion and figure out how you will live your lives cohesive and raise children. Condemning Jews for not wanting to marry outside of theirs while ignoring the Muslim and Christian preferences is unfair. Most people marry within their race and faith. It's a sad but true fact.

Assuming you're American... You have presidential candidates thanking about building a wall to keep out Mexicans. That is what you can call a racist culture. Every week I see an article about your police - not citizens but your law enforcement - shooting innocent black people dead. Imagine if someone told you they are too scared to visit Android because of its racism.

I'm sure I'll hear about how it's different and not representative. Think before you post a stupid, offensive opinion then.

On topic, hope the bigot gets the book thrown at her. Awesome to see the police intervene so quickly.

#NotAllAustralians

Sounds like America, heh.

Goliath

That must have been the most unsettling moment of her life as she called for help and got 0 response from anyone on that bus.

The driver especially is deplorable; the authorities better come down on him hard and the police need to find this woman, who seems to have a habit for terrorizing Asians.

Given the sheer leeway and favoritism Israel receives in virtually all matter on the international stage, despite its horrific human right's record, it's no wonder some of its citizens have developed such a superiority complex.

It's horrific human right's record when compared to who? Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan, Africa, heck even the U.S.?

Do you honestly believe other religions don't think their special? I can't tell you how many times I have been asked by other Christians to go to Bible Study with them to save my soul. The Christian mantra is that the path to Heaven is through the acceptance of Jesus into your heart. Yea.....nothing special about that. And obviously we all know how favorable Muslims consider themselves compared to other religions.

Damerman

Saying Jews think they're better than everyone else is antisemitic rhetoric. Glad that you're backpedaling now but that's what you said.

Get to the core of the issue and admit that you spouted an antisemitic stereotype. Who cares what other people are accusing you of? Fact is you said something quite shitty, maybe out of ignorance, but you said it.
nothing about my post is anti Semitic.

are you expect me to explain how extreemist muslim are affecting Arab culture? or how certain Hindu sects affect indian culture? or how Evangelical christians affect american culture?

catch me in a thread shitting on Ben carson for his bigoted bullshit, but i'm not gonna go out of my way to disprove your erroneous presumption.

That woman is absolutely stunning. Racism is really that bad in Australia? I am from the USA and never been there, dealing with racism so much in your own country you don't really seem to think about it being as bad or happening much in other countries.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
this caught my eye also.

people love to go in on how muslim culture is toxic... but every one ignores the sense of superiority Jewish culture perpetuates within it's people.

also, I'm not saying all australians are bad, but i've sworn off visiting it because of what i heard.

I've meet a couple of autralians and they were really nice(very very nice and conversational), but they all had particular things that made it hard for them to be racist. the first was a physics teacher(one of the best teachers i ever had), but he was an Evangelical christian missionary in Haiti... the second was in paris, but she was a lesbian and her partner was an aboriginal australian... and the last were a set of dudes who seemed mixed race(or very tanned), but they had N.W.A. tattoos and they loved NBA.
so youve met a bunch of australians and you like them and youll never go there because of things youve heard. that makes great sense.

if you went there, you would likely not have to hang out with the racist bus lady

I remember reading up about Indian student being beaten up in Melbourne few years ago. Do these happen often there? I think there are crazy people everywhere and I would hope this does not represent how the majority of country feel.

tkscz

That woman is absolutely stunning. Racism is really that bad in Australia? I am from the USA and never been there, dealing with racism so much in your own country you don't really seem to think about it being as bad or happening much in other countries.

Australian racism isn't as bad as US, but it's up there, usually against the indigenous or the British. However, never expected an Israeli woman to be yelling at a Chinese - Australian.

What a piece of shit. How can people just sit there? Fucking gutless.

also, I'm not saying all australians are bad, but i've sworn off visiting it because of what i heard..

7rwSpeH.gif

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks Transhuman. I was hoping someone would throw some classism on top of the racism.

You're welcome.

Take the bus all the time and I'm as low class as it gets. Me, classist? Shut your caviar hole you bourgeois pekersniff

Damerman

so youve met a bunch of australians and you like them and youll never go there because of things youve heard. that makes great sense.

if you went there, you would likely not have to hang out with the racist bus lady

I'm not saying everywhere else is better, in fact, after my experiences in france, I'd rather not visit any predominantly white countries. It's at the expense of meeting very cool people and experiencing rich cultures, but I just really hate putting up with racist situations.

7rwSpeH.gif

you can laugh all you want, but I've never experienced overt racism in NJ. do they do it behind my back? maybe...but when i traveled abroad, they were certainly explicit.

EDIT: i really need to remove NJ as my location, people use it against me at every opportunity. NJ is shitty, not that shitty though.

LiK

that is awful. glad this is getting attention. as an Asian-American myself, I find this shit unbearable.

Dude Abides

Banned
nothing about my post is anti Semitic.

are you expect me to explain how extreemist muslim are affecting Arab culture? or how certain Hindu sects affect indian culture? or how Evangelical christians affect american culture?

catch me in a thread shitting on Ben carson for his bigoted bullshit, but i'm not gonna go out of my way to disprove your erroneous presumption.

Sorry dude. Saying Jews are arrogant is an antisemitic trope. Simple as that. Maybe you didn't know that but now you do.

Window

I live in Perth and I've not had pleasant experiences with public transport (after 6) myself either. Been verbally abused and once spat on.

It's even weirder when some people the bus start agreeing with the person in what I hope was just an attempt to get them to calm down.

After hearing about what the government is doing to migrants and that story about that little indigenous girl who was insulted by a grown woman, I think Australia has a racism problem. Can anyone who lives there talk about it?

There is racism, and racism is a problem, so there is a racism problem. What is not clear is how this stacks up against other countries. A few videos of someone getting shouted at on a bus come out of cities of five million from time to time. But individual instances are not very helpful compared to data. From my experience of Hobart, and hosting Asian exchange students for over a decade with my family (30+ total, mostly Chinese), over half have attempted to stay permanently, and none have reported racist incidents. My Chinese Malay friend from University experienced major racism in his home country and nine here. Amongst Australians I have lived along side, I have known several who harbored racist beliefs, although there was no real consistency, some racist against Aboriginals (including one guy who was like 1/16th Aboriginal himself hilariously), some against Middle Eastern peoples, some against Asians. More my parents generation than young folk. People from rough parts of town more than upper class neighborhoods. Few people 'believe' they are racist, which is not unusual in modern times.

Although knowing people like this, I've never personally witnessed an unambiguous racist incident or seen these people who are racist act on it in public. I saw a bogan woman who got into a minor car accident scream at the Asian woman behind her, but this is pretty par for the course for 'those people' and no racist language was used. She also screamed at me when I told her to stop yelling at the other person.

All AusGAF can provide are anecdotes. I've yet to see anything resembling stats show up in these threads. There are gaffers who have different experiences to mine and actual Asian AusGaffers you can talk to. The person saying they're afraid of visiting because of racism strikes me as pretty funny though.

orochi91

It's horrific human right's record when compared to who? Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan, Africa, heck even the U.S.?

Do you honestly believe other religions don't think their special? I can't tell you how many times I have been asked by other Christians to go to Bible Study with them to save my soul. The Christian mantra is that the path to Heaven is through the acceptance of Jesus into your heart. Yea.....nothing special about that. And obviously we all know how favorable Muslims consider themselves compared to other religions.

"What-about-ism" does not excuse Israel's human right's record, relative to other piece of shit countries in the region, especially when Israel is consistently painted as the only legitimate democracy in the region by western media, themselves and politicians alike.

They are given considerable leeway and whitewashing of their rogue behaviour, which serves to support my initial point that some of its citizens are developing a sense of superiority complex, as evidenced by the woman in this altercation; folks like her literally believe they can do no wrong.

Your point about Christians and Muslims is irrelevant, as they are not mentioned in the article.

Goliath

"What-about-ism" does not excuse Israel's human right's record, relative to other piece of shit countries in the region, especially when Israel is consistently painted as the only legitimate democracy in the region by western media, themselves and politicians alike.

They are given considerable leeway and whitewashing of their rogue behaviour, which serves to support my initial point that some of its citizens are developing a sense of superiority complex, as evidenced by the woman in this altercation; folks like her literally believe they can do no wrong.

Your point about Christians and Muslims is irrelevant, as they are not mentioned in the article.

Your comment directly attacks Jews and how you think they perceive themselves. All of the U.S.'s allies get leeway with poor behavior. Saudi Arabia barely get's mentioned for their poor behavior because they are our ally. The same goes for the U.S.'s poor behavior.

My point about Christians and Muslims is not irrelevant, especially when you are trying to single out Jews as feeling superior and special.

Reminds me of a time when a random crazy racist man started yelling at my mum in a supermarket about being a dirty immigrant. My mum said nothing back.

The store clerk asked my mum to leave the store.

After spending a few weeks un Sydney my sister was shocked at how much some australians hated Asian immigrants over there. Seems it wasn't just a bad experience.

Ever watch Border Security: Australia's Front Line? The staff are so fucking racist it's unbelieveable. Pretty much any Asian person coming into Australia is assumed to be a drug mule and treated as such. The disrespect shown is disgusting...and that's only the stuff shown "proudly" on camera. God knows what doesn't make the edit.

The Candadian version is so tame and polite in comparison. "Oh hey, you seem to have a car full of weed and gun aye. You're gonna have to turn back, ok? Have a nice day!"

orochi91

Your comment directly attacks Jews and how you think they perceive themselves. All of the U.S.'s allies get leeway with poor behavior. Saudi Arabia barely get's mentioned for their poor behavior because they are our ally. The same goes for the U.S.'s poor behavior.

My point about Christians and Muslims is not irrelevant, especially when you are trying to single out Jews as feeling superior and special.

Once again, "What-about-ism" is no excuse; you can downplay Israel's shitty conduct all you want by bringing up irrelevant countries who have nothing to do with this article.

And the racist in the article singled out Jews/Israel and this apparent sense of superiority herself. I merely made the most obvious connection as to why some folks like her would do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom