• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist tirade on Sydney bus rattles Chinese-Australian woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Chinese people have been in australia since the 1800s. I don't know why anyone today would even consider them anything but part of the normal Australian make up.

shink

I guess it depends where you live here? I take the tram and train everyday and haven't encountered any issues or seen any in recent memory as an Asian Australian in Melbourne.

Cerity

Chinese people have been in australia since the 1800s. I don't know why anyone today would even consider them anything but part of the normal Australian make up.

Chinese invasion of Australia, losing jobs to china, skilled chinese workers coming over etc. Sadly there's a lot of it about.

I guess it depends where you live here? I take the tram and train everyday and haven't encountered any issues or seen any in recent memory as an Asian Australian in Melbourne.

Very much depends on where you live. I regularly go between Logan and Ipswich for work ( two of the not so savoury cities in SE QLD) and despite the growing immigrant populations, the hardcore racists - like this lady don't actually bother to learn.

Crazy Israeli woman screams racist abuse at Chinese people = Australians are all racist.

Australia has a racism problem but a mentally ill immigrant ranting at someone is a poor example of it.

Komo

Banned

I've met a pretty large amount of casually racist people in Australia. From my driving instructor, to my family, to primary school friends, and even some teachers. It's definitely not too uncommon to see pickups with 'Fuck off we're full' type bumper stickers. It's sad that even my dad, who was a Chilean immigrant has been caught using very aussie racial slurs just to try and 'fit in' better with his friends. It's a cultural problem.

I think that a huge contributor to race issues is the lack of diversity in advertising here. Commercial after commercial just keeps starring the stereotypical white family; usually with blond hair. It continues to make minorities look as if they're outcasts, and not accepted as actual Australians.

Here's a fascinating video and an article on the topic

I've met a pretty large amount of casually racist people in Australia. From my driving instructor, to my family, to primary school friends, and even some teachers. It's definitely not too uncommon to see pickups with 'Fuck off we're full' type bumper stickers. It's sad that even my dad, who was a Chilean immigrant has been caught using very aussie racial slurs just to try and 'fit in' better with his friends. It's a cultural problem.

I think that a huge contributor to race issues is the lack of diversity in advertising here. Commercial after commercial just keeps starring the stereotypical white family; usually with blond hair. It continues to make minorities look as if they're outcasts, and not accepted as actual Australians.

Probably your dad is just a racist.

hamchan

Hey guys it's ok that we're racists because we're not as racist as those guys. Huh

What Americans think every time an Australian racism topic pops up on GAF.
What Australians think every time an American cop killing black people/Donald Trump topic pops up on GAF.

Jintor

What the fuck. In fucking Willoughby? You'd think the bloody North Shore - ah, wait, Lib central North Shore. Right.

Pretty hilarious. You can hang around Sydney CBD and if you zone out the english billboards you'll feel like you're in Singpore or something.

Sojgat

The old woman is obviously a crazy person. I'm surprised and disappointed that no one intervened though. The fear of getting spat on is real, I guess.

Link1110

Horrifying but unsurprising. China's economic success is bringing out tons of haters, just look at American politics for proof of that.

there is insurmountable evidence that agrees with what I'm saying... their very own religious doctrine proves my point.

Their is fact, common sense and simple logic that disagree with what your saying,

lets discuss it, when people speak about Judaism they normally speak about two folds ethnicity and religion.

I will assume you aren't arguing Jewish people that alienate themselves from religion still recognize that one aspect of "the chosen people"

as for religious people, Judaism as any other religion allow converts, Jewish people are the "chosen people" because they picked the "right god", the right path,
now that doesn't really sound very different then any other fucking religion does it.

JayDub

It makes me sad that this thread is only at 2 pages.

No one gives a crap about racism against asians.

EDIT: Isn't casual racism against asians prevalent in AU? I remember watching a Top Gear like show from Australia, saying they can "park just as good as those chinamen."

shink

Thanks for the Insight link, haven't seen that before. It's quite interesting how the three Asian Australians all had similar remarks about their own race. I think this is actually quite common, even in my own social group where we perpetuate and laugh about these stereotypes ourselves and it becomes socially acceptable to do so.

I'd also agree about TV/media, particularly on the three commercial networks where it is very rare to see non-caucasians in hosting roles etc, apart from the news where it's usually something negative.
ABC and SBS are definitely more diverse and particularly SBS, but it's the least watched network by far. It's slowly changing, and we have many non-caucasian talent show winners, but I feel it's still not quite there yet.

Damerman

as for religious people, Judaism as any other religion allow converts, Jewish people are the "chosen people" because they picked the "right god", the right path,
now that doesn't really sound very different then any other fucking religion does it.

is that why christians are happier to find Jews in Jerusalem rather than muslims? because chistians are the chosen people?

danm999

Public transport just seems to be a lightning rod for bigots in this country.

What a disgusting women and shame on the rest of the people on the bus not telling her to shut the fuck up.

hirokazu

What the fuck. In fucking Willoughby? You'd think the bloody North Shore - ah, wait, Lib central North Shore. Right.

Pretty hilarious. You can hang around Sydney CBD and if you zone out the english billboards you'll feel like you're in Singpore or something.
This woman's apparently been all around Sydney spitting at people. Fucking gross. It's not clear if she only targets Asians or others as well but there's been numerous complains and she's now been charged.

Surprisingly none of her victims have been aggressive back to her. Racist comments, OK this woman be crazy, but if I'm spat on the very least I'm gonna do is spit back at them. Fuck that.

Jintor

ABC and SBS are definitely more diverse and particularly SBS, but it's the least watched network by far. It's slowly changing, and we have many non-caucasian talent show winners, but I feel it's still not quite there yet.

#LeeLinChinForPM

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I've definitely had relatives saying that Sydney is more racist than Melbourne.

Dryk

I don't have first hand knowledge of race relations in Austrailia but I do remember seeing Romper Stomper years ago. It's strange that you would go after someone who is fully integrated into Austrailian society. I know that there are tons of Koreans, Vietnamese, and Chinese so I'm confused why she is specifically targeting the Chinese.
The government and the media have been slagging off the Chinese a lot lately. Mostly because the way the system is currently set up encourages foreign investment in housing and farmland and it's pricing potential homeowners etc out of the market. It's a lot easier for Australian people who are also benefiting from the perks given to investors to blame the Chinese instead of actually fixing the structural problems and losing money. In general though there seems to be this not uncommon undercurrent of dislike of "Asians" (spat out in the same way as "the blacks") here and I'm not sure where it came from.

hirokazu

Public transport just seems to be a lightning rod for bigots in this country.

What a disgusting women and shame on the rest of the people on the bus not telling her to shut the fuck up.
Yep. Bus driver apparently followed protocol and called for assistance, but the other passengers should be ashamed of themselves.

hirokazu

The government and the media have been slagging off the Chinese a lot lately. Mostly because the way the system is currently set up encourages foreign investment in housing and farmland and it's pricing potential homeowners etc out of the market. It's a lot easier for Australian people who are also benefiting from the perks given to investors to blame the Chinese instead of actually fixing the structural problems and losing money. In general though there seems to be this not uncommon undercurrent of dislike of "Asians" (spat out in the same way as "the blacks") here and I'm not sure where it came from.
I'm not gonna argue the merits of the FTA with China, but Labor and union opposition to it isn't helping. "They're gonna bring in Chinese workers to take your jobs!"

And the foreign investment property debacle has concentrated solely on Chinese when most Chinese buyers on th market are hardworking Australians like the rest of us.

Fusebox

Banned
Crazy Israeli woman screams racist abuse at Chinese people = Australians are all racist.

Australia has a racism problem but a mentally ill immigrant ranting at someone is a poor example of it.

Seriously. People still going on about the north shore when it was a mentally ill migrant who probably doesn't even live in the area.

My missus is Chinese but this incident is such an outlier I ain't even mad.

But yeah, Aussies are all so racist etc etc

Dryk

I'm not gonna argue the merits of the FTA with China, butLabor and union opposition to it isn't helping. "They're gonna bring in Chinese workers to take your jobs!"

And the foreign investment property debacle has concentrated solely on Chinese when most Chinese buyers on th market are hardworking Australians like the rest of us.
Like I said it's easier to point the finger and say "The Chinese are taking our jobs/houses" instead of admitting it's your fault for making it easier for anyone with cheap labour/money to take your jobs/houses.

Jintor

Seriously. People still going on about the north shore when it was a mentally ill migrant who probably doesn't even live in the area.

My missus is Chinese but this incident is such an outlier I ain't even mad.

But yeah, Aussies are all so racist etc etc

as both a chinese australian and a guy who lives(lived?) on the north shore i'm gonna use my double privilege badge to sledge both

Apath

Once again, "What-about-ism" is no excuse; you can downplay Israel's shitty conduct all you want by bringing up irrelevant countries who have nothing to do with this article.

And the racist in the article singled out Jews/Israel and this apparent sense of superiority herself. I merely made the most obvious connection as to why some folks like her would do that.
One Israeli woman reveals herself to be a bigot, and thus she represents Israelis/Jews. Wonderful.

I would say that considering every country and group on the planet has its share of bigots and the fact that we aren't witnessing a massive pandemic of racist Jews in every country says otherwise.

Great watch, thanks for posting

I actually think the forms of casual racism can be more harmful to perpetuating those stereotypes. I am a white Australian and my partner is Lebanese, but I find she is casually racist towards her own people - and I often pick up on that and make jokes about Lebanese particularly the accents. I don't hate or fear them but I do perpetuate unnecessary stereotypes

But it is different to that fear I can see in her of associating with most white people. It is not on the surface but it exists

Thanks for the Insight link, haven't seen that before. It's quite interesting how the three Asian Australians all had similar remarks about their own race. I think this is actually quite common, even in my own social group where we perpetuate and laugh about these stereotypes ourselves and it becomes socially acceptable to do so.

I'd also agree about TV/media, particularly on the three commercial networks where it is very rare to see non-caucasians in hosting roles etc, apart from the news where it's usually something negative.
The Project has done a good job breaking that mould with an Indian (?) Australian host. But there was negativity about that to start

Oh, so it's like a tiny mobile Florida!
pointing-and-laughing.gif

linsivvi

After spending a few weeks un Sydney my sister was shocked at how much some australians hated Asian immigrants over there. Seems it wasn't just a bad experience.

Sydney is like a mecca of tolerance compared to some backwards parts of Australia, like Brisbane, ie hometown of racist politician Pauline Hanson. Random cars would drive by and people telling Asians to go home, and it's a common occurrence.

Anko

Sydney is like a mecca of tolerance compared to some backwards parts of Australia, like Brisbane, ie hometown of racist politician Pauline Hanson. Random cars would drive by and people telling Asians to go home, and it's a common occurrence.

My sisters have been studying in Brisbane for years but I have not heard about any racist incidents in particular. My stays there have all been very pleasant too. The only racist thing, which is rather harmless really, is people being surprised that they can speak English well. They get it often enough that they now just accept the compliment as it is, and not explain that English is one of the main languages back home.

Jintor

My sisters have been studying in Brisbane for years but I have not heard about any racist incidents in particular. My stays there have all been very pleasant too. The only racist thing, which is rather harmless really, is people being surprised that they can speak English well. They get it often enough that they now just accept the compliment as it is, and not explain that English is one of the main languages back home.

"No but where are you really from?"

actually fairly glad I've only been asked this a handful of times over the years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom