• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology announced - 3DS full remake + new scenario

Moe'd up RH and the unbearable animu shlock in SMT4-A make me a little concerned for Atlus' future. I don't care for Persona, let alone their entire output being tailored to its audience.

4Tran

I really have to give it to Atlus. This was a simple slam dunk sort of thing. Take a niche but critically acclaimed catalog title. Put some effort into remastering it on a new platform and release it for the fans who loved it originally to make some profit and garner more goodwill. I don't even think people expected much.

But...
I certainly didn't expect much. All Atlus had to do was spruce up the sprites and backgrounds a bit and maybe rebalance some of the combat, and the game is good to go. But to put in so little effort and call it a remake? That's a bit much. Replace the perfectly adequate artwork with significantly inferior material and it makes a double dip hard to justify. It's a shame too because the base game is pretty darned good, and I'd love an excuse to get an updated version.

The art style change will lead to better sales + will ensure people line up for the sequels.

Just look at Fire Emblem's "revitalization"

You have forgotten the scads of series that made this faustian bargain and didn't succeed because they didn't succeed. Medabots ring a bell?

This "the form of the change will guarentee failure/success for this franchise going forward" is a nasty, nasty ailment from Gen 7's toxic environment, and the otakufication of so many anime-arted series is one of these. It completely obscures the ratchet effect of the change; once you go this route, you ain't coming back from it, and more deeply reinforces the connection that "anime == pandering".

so... did the original art team die or leave the company?
Otherwise I don't get why they had to make those changes
It seems clear to me from the art and the way the box art looks compared to the original that the change was to make the game more marketable. The original art had bold dark lines and a melancholic vibe to it that is now replaced by a much more cheery "energetic" vibe in this new edition. They also couldn't pass up a chance to waifu up Eruca and make her look generic as hell destroying what made her original design so striking in the first place. Since I love me some RH, I hope this version fares a bit better so we can possibly have a chance to get more of RH but then what message would that be sending...?

Siddiqui

The art style change will lead to better sales + will ensure people line up for the sequels.

Just look at Fire Emblem's "revitalization"

I don't know - I find Fire Emblem's new art better than the old but I prefer Radiant Historia's old style. Fire Emblem's old art felt just as conservative to me - just from a different era; perhaps even more so because of that.

Ill raise my voice to add to the noise. The new art style is hideous, Eruca especially.

I'm conflicted on whether I'll be getting this now.

The artstyle change is definitely a downgrade. It is also disappointing that the original artstyle is locked behind the limited edition.

Beartruck

Whats wrong with your faaaaace?

Also really hate Eruca's design. Her original design was meant to clash with the Queens, since the Queen is beautiful but vain, arrogant and stupid. Eruca is none of those things, and her design gives the impression that shes a very competent take-charge person. Her new design looks like a model posing with a gun who has no clue how to use it.

mugwhump

Yeah I'll play with original portraits. Hope the new characters don't look too jarring alongside the old ones.

Man Eruca's original design was so good.

I hope they don't rebalance skills and things like that.
I hope they do, aht was op. New difficulty mode is the main reason I'm interested.

Rymuth

OP Cinematic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=992VRSjhQaA

20170414_010843_thumb.jpg

smh

Sinople

I went from excited at the remake announcement, to disappointed after seeing the screenshot, to angry after seeing the new portraits and op. Well done Atlus.
I get the reasoning, give a new chance and a new audience to a good but overlooked game, but... not like this...

TheContact

The original game was awesome and had a unique time travel system. It's been a while since I've played it but it definitely deserves this

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh... really not a fan of this art style. Maybe I'll pass on this one unless I find it in the bargain bin some day.

Top Bottom