• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

kiyomi

You decided to import? Awesome.

now i need to work on starting up gods eater to get you those impressions i promised

Well, I'm ordering within 2 weeks. I'm on holiday from next weekend. Because I have zero idea of how long these things take, I figured I'd wait until I get back (unless I can find out exactly how long it'll take), so I don't get a grouchy courier who decides to leave it in the hedges, in the pouring rain. Which happened once.

So you can hold off those impressions :p

Also I'd recommend skyghene22's videos for the game that Schobeleth included for anyone interested, pretty comprehensive :)

I'll keep updating the OT with reviews as they start coming. How is the format now? I was worried the job portraits were still too big, I kept shrinking 'em down but I wanted them to still be reasonably big enough though. I'm going to get some screenshots together and have some rows of thumbnails as well.

Does anyone know of some official interviews or something I can add? I've only really seen import videos and walkthroughs.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
For anyone who wants to SPOILER themselves for the costumes in the game, you can look here.

Shows off the base costumes, and the tribute costumes to Ragnarok Online, as well as the Super Novice DLC costume. Which was free in Japan).

Sounds like the DLC will all be included with Physical / DL versions. So will it be immediately accessable within the game, or will they release potential free DLC keys as time goes on? All of it was apparently free in Japan, except a few headgears (which sound like they were .99 cent each or something), from what I gather.

Speculation put to rest. See later post!

Had to restore my vita to get the jp demo but now all of my worries about this are eased. Sticking with my day one newegg pre-order. So fun.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'll keep updating the OT with reviews as they start coming. How is the format now? I was worried the job portraits were still too big, I kept shrinking 'em down but I wanted them to still be reasonably big enough though. I'm going to get some screenshots together and have some rows of thumbnails as well.

Does anyone know of some official interviews or something I can add? I've only really seen import videos and walkthroughs.

Well, you have the Interview with Kumi Tanioka for the soundtrack, and that Merc Edition Unboxing Video I posted earlier...

There's an interview with Siliconera with the Director on RO's Monster Designs, Underutalized Vita Features, and Making Hunting Games more Popular in the West, but not sure if all of those are relevant.

Oh, and they also confirmed everything Free in Japan's DLC will be free on-Cart in US, and everything paid for, will still be paid. (This was from back in August, but should still be true.)

So armor doesn't dictate your outward appearance?

Hmmm.

Naaa. RO's designs are more of the "Iconic" variety, so getting to modify those looks + add hat accessories is the name of the game!

You can dye those outfits though, and stat-relevant stuff can be handled by inserting cards into your equips, to personalize your character.

Had to restore my vita to get the jp demo but now all of my worries about this are eased. Sticking with my day one newegg pre-order. So fun.

Glad it worked out for you, and glad ya like it! That demo also let me know that this was 100% my (and brother's) type of game.

Well, you have the Interview with Kumi Tanioka for the soundtrack, and that Merc Edition Unboxing Video I posted earlier...

There's an interview with Siliconera with the Director on RO's Monster Designs, Underutalized Vita Features, and Making Hunting Games more Popular in the West, but not sure if all of those are relevant.

Oh, and they also confirmed everything Free in Japan's DLC will be free on-Cart in US, and everything paid for, will still be paid. (This was from back in August, but should still be true.)

Naaa. RO's designs are more of the "Iconic" variety, so getting to modify those looks + add hat accessories is the name of the game!

You can dye those outfits though, and stat-relevant stuff can be handled by inserting cards into your equips, to personalize your character.

Glad it worked out for you, and glad ya like it! That demo also let me know that this was 100% my (and brother's) type of game.

Am still confused. If I find a new sword or hat and equip them will I see them on my toon?

kewlmyc

Been playing this for a while (got the HK version for $60 on amazon a month ago), and it's pretty damn great. The game gets really hard by yourself around the 4th chapter though. You guys have a lot to look forward to. I wonder if the HK version can do co-op with the western version (both use XSEEDs translation).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Chapter 1 and town stuff.

Thanks for the screen! Just make sure to have only 2 screenshots per "line" and then press senter for another 2 on the next line. They way they are now, they're in one long, forum-width-destroying line, within your quote.

Am still confused. If I find a new sword or hat and equip them will I see them on my toon?

Yeah, Hats show up (That's their main purpose, to show off!) And I believe different weapons do, too. Here's a spoiler list of hat images, if you wanna see the kind of things you can find in the game.

Ken

Thanks for the screen! Just make sure to have only 2 screenshots per "line" and then press senter for another 2 on the next line. They way they are now, they're in one long, forum-width-destroying line, within your quote.

Yeah, Hats show up (That's their main purpose, to show off!) And I believe different weapons do, too. Here's a spoiler list of hat images, if you wanna see the kind of things you can find in the game.

Oh sorry, they looked fine to me. Are they better now?

Is it just hats? How about armor pieces?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Too bad it doesn't look anything like the MMO game. Graphix am fail.

I thought this at first, but after playing the MMO for so long, and Ragnarok Battle Offline, and the DS Game, and seeing the designs in the old RO Opening Animation that was never used, AND watching the actual Ragnarok Anime, and then seeing how different all THAT is compared to the Manwah... naaaa, I'm fine with different designs! XD

The throwback soundtracks, costumes, hats, and similiar monster designs hit all the right chords.

I love the RO Designs (I drew myself "In Character" Years ago as a Wizard...), but it's nice to have a graphic style that's actually made for the system / graphic quality in question.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
"Spoiler list of hats" is probably the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

:p

Haha, yeah, but it's a big RO thing! I smile when I see some of the stuff I hunted for, over YEARS in RO, are also available in this game... I probably have a story for half the traditional headgears in that game... Hunting them for friends birthdays, sending guildmates on quest to try to get one for someone... I didn't know much of that was even in this game until looking, so the surprise is quite nice:)

Is it just hats? How about armor pieces?

The only clothing that shows up graphically seems to be the Hats and the full outfits.

Anyone know if there are other towns to visit or just the hub town?

I believe it's 1 central hub. Makes sense in story reasons too; This is the old area holding back the invading evil, so all questing stars from here. Past the (magical teleport) door, it's all fighting!

Very much like Monster Hunter and GEB, in that respect.

Is there much narrative or plot? GEB was great at providing some motivation to keep playing by presenting an interesting narrative?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is there much narrative or plot? GEB was great at providing some motivation to keep playing by presenting an interesting narrative?

This Question needs to be added to an OT F.A.Q, lol.

Seems like more story than MH, less than GEB. Hopefully, one of those who'se played the full game can go more into depth on that :)

Really looking forward to this. I played a ton of RO back in the day and is this is anything like that I'll be putting some major time into this.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I can't wait, got my Swanky Mercs edition paid off! Hopefully the hurricane doesn't screw up us East coasters, though...

Hrmm.. true. Sandy could screw with UPS/FedEx/USPS.

Newegg hasn't shipped my copy yet, I'm expecting them to do it on Tuesday and I expect to receive it on Friday at the latest. At least I hope so.

Prinny

Keep your eyes open for deals. Here in Canada for instance, the AC: Liberation bundle will come with a 50$ gift card and steelbook at launch (at FutureShop).
It's only 200$ online...!? Ugh, maybe I'll buy a Vita this year after all, I really want this game.

Blazeddc

Looking forward to playing this in English. I imported it back when it was released but decided to stop playing when the game was announced for the US.

Two screenshots of my old character (Lightbreaker):
2012-03-26-232140.jpg

2012-03-27-224337.jpg

I can't wait for Tuesday!

For those interested my PSN ID is blazeddc

Debating whether or not to keep my pre-order on this one. I've never played a MonHun type game before, so I'm not sure if it's for me, plus I initially ordered it back when it seemed like the game would be coming out at the end of the summer/early fall, when there was a gap in Vita games. Now that VLR is out and with P4G only a few weeks away, RO is probably just going to end up in my backlog until after the holidays, so seems kind of pointless to day one it.

Is it Reyn time?
Ha! I was thinking more like Garet from Golden Sun.

It's finally coming out in english language, that's great! now I just need to import a copy *scrap that, it's coming to EU* and buy a PSvita. Truth be told this game is really pushing me to buy a vita and always has done since the japanese version was shown.

Darkone

I am really looking forward to this game but after 1Up review i am having second thought, need some questions answered.

1. Is the game really easy like 1UP mentioned?
2. Don`t think i will have the time to play this online, how this game plays offline?
3. Continue No` 2 question, what the main difference between the Online & Offline in this game?

Great OT :).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I am really looking forward to this game but after 1Up review i am having second thought, need some questions answered.

1. Is the game really easy like 1UP mentioned?
2. Don`t think i will have the time to play this online, how this game plays offline?
3. Continue No` 2 question, what the main difference between the Online & Offline in this game?

Great OT :).

1. People who played through the JP Game say it gets very hard later on.
2. Online and offline missions are the same. Online versions are harder, have more monsters, etc.
3. Main differences seem to be difficulty. You seem to be able to access the SP (HQ) and MP (Tavern) lobbies, even when playing solo, going by the demo. So it's kinda like Normal and Hard difficulties.

There's really no reason to have doubts in this game; loads of gameplay out there, since the game came out in JP last Feb. If you want to look, there's lots of gameplay on youtube, and people who spoke of the game as each of the 3 major JP Expansions came out. (MP, Sograt Desert, and Epic Weapons Pack, from what I gather.)

Darkone

1. People who played through the JP Game say it gets very hard later on.
2. Online and offline missions are the same. Online versions are harder, have more monsters, etc.
3. Main differences seem to be difficulty. You seem to be able to access the SP (HQ) and MP (Tavern) lobbies, even when playing solo, going by the demo. So it's kinda like Normal and Hard difficulties.

There's really no reason to have doubts in this game; loads of gameplay out there, since the game came out in JP last Feb. If you want to look, there's lots of gameplay on youtube, and people who spoke of the game as each of the 3 major JP Expansions came out. (MP, Sograt Desert, and Epic Weapons Pack, from what I gather.)

Thanks for the info, so the NA release on the 30th will include all the Expansions?

Thank you for the kind words about the OT, I was pretty worried that it was too messy/long but I think I'm happy with how it came out :) I'm going to see if I can get a FAQ set up today, since there are a lot of questions about the game. Sorry about not updating it with the FAQ, that hurricane sandy is coming to my area so naturally the wife has been demanding for us to get stocked up haha..

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks for the info, so the NA release on the 30th will include all the Expansions?

Yup! Seems like it's all on disk / full game download, and all free, except for a few paid-for hats, which are inexpensive, anyhow.

The Expansions introduced Online Multiplayer, A new stage, loads of new quest, new weapons, and more, from the way it sounds. Free DLC incuded the outfits to look like an RO Super Novice, and some hats.

I'm this close to cancelling my $40 Newegg pre-order of the Mercenary Edition, but I just can't get myself to do it. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff.

Looking forward to this; very nice OT.

?: For local offline multi (ad-hoc?), can a friend and I play the entire game co-op? I heard you have to unlock quests in single player first; is that for ONline only?

Ponn

Banned
I will be the number one hat lootwhore. Will add the few in this thread I haven't yet. My PSN ID is ponnimus Planning on going Mage first, possibly Cleric need to watch some more vids.

I'm this close to cancelling my $40 Newegg pre-order of the Mercenary Edition, but I just can't get myself to do it. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff.

I did, no regrets. Cards will be lost in a drawer in a month and i'm always disappointed by the dinky art books in games. This game just feels like it needs to be on a memory stick.

Top Bottom