• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

Young Magus

I will be the number one hat lootwhore. Will add the few in this thread I haven't yet. My PSN ID is ponnimus Planning on going Mage first, possibly Cleric need to watch some more vids.

I did, no regrets. Cards will be lost in a drawer in a month and i'm always disappointed by the dinky art books in games. This game just feels like it needs to be on a memory stick.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one with this train of thought

oh yeah forgot my ID and stuff

PSN is TheGrimHeaper. Feel free to add me, but I dunno when I'll be getting it with the hurricane around and I need to clear up some space. I might go Assassin like the demo, but Mage and Hunter could be fun, too.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I did, no regrets. Cards will be lost in a drawer in a month and i'm always disappointed by the dinky art books in games. This game just feels like it needs to be on a memory stick.

Unboxing vid proves this isn't a dinky artbook, though! :) Looks to be a good amount of quality to what they're offering. Cool that the cards also have game-relevant stats on them too.

The game does seem digital friendly, too (I think the download is suppose to be around 1.1 gigs), and it is the kinda game you wanna have accessable whenever someone ask to play.

But ever since the days of PSO, having such games on disk feels pretty appropriate. Hope the box comes with a color manual, like the asian version did (Wow, Vita games with items in their boxes!), wouldn't mind a reversible cover either... Will be ok if it's "just" the merch's guide though, as that looks more along the lines of something of an old Working Design's release booklet, just minus the Hard Cover.

Those screenshots look delicious. Still deciding which class I'm going to roll, maybe a hunter. PSN ID is GundamBanshee if anyone would like to add me!

kiyomi

Guess I'll add myself in here as well. PSN is LordChopsington, go ahead and add away, just let me know who you are on GAF, or vice-versa.

I'll probably be picking it up early/mid November though.

In all likelihood I'll be Hunterizing

OmegaZero

OmegaZero663 if you want to add me.
Send me a message telling me which Vitabro you are.

I have no idea which class I''m going to pick. One that isn't as used as the others, most likely.

Foxix Von

Might as well hop on the bandwagon. PSN tag is: Fireclad

Can't wait for this. I've been needing some multiplayer monster slaying/dungeon crawling for a while. :D

Alright, added everyone to a list of hunters into the OT. I also added something silly, hidden somewhere in the OT ;) I want to find some official gameplay somewhere but I can't find any.. I've added a couple interviews too. I'm going to work on the FAQ next, compiling a list of stuff now.. although information seems scarce, outside of fellow gaffers who imported it. Also, if you guys haven't already, you HAVE to check out the soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJGd4qTeSNg

Simply brilliant! So excited for the game :)

Teknoman

TeknomanEX, most likely going to be a sword warrior.

Does the game have voice chat or some sort of text chat? Havent played vita games online before (only have Gravity Rush and MK).

Mondriaan

I'll post my PSN when I get the game (assuming I have power, internet, etc...).

This mostly depends on what happens with Sandy/Frankenstorm.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm thinking about cancelling my pre-order and going the PSN route too. Were there any pre-order bonuses? Can't remember.

beason52

Neo Member
I can't wait for Tuesday!

For those interested my PSN ID is blazeddc

Oh snap, you used to play PSO didn't you?

This game looks awesome. Didn't check out the hats but Evil/Angel wing are mandatory, I love that it takes concepts from RO like cards and uses them in a different genre (action RPG vs MMO).

I have $40 in my PSN wallet to spend and fulfill the "spend 100 get 20" thing. Debating between this, Twisted Metal, and basically everything else

Foxix Von

This game looks awesome. Didn't check out the hats but Evil/Angel wing are mandatory, I love that it takes concepts from RO like cards and uses them in a different genre (action RPG vs MMO).

Sweeeeet. I wonder how many PSO veterans will be playing this hahah.

Blazeddc

Sure did. I started playing on PSO Ver.1 and ended on Blue Burst. I am also currently playing PSO2.

Wahz

Advance Stuff, something they don't tell you in the game. Mostly came from JP Wiki.
While I'm playing Chinese version, so English name may be wrong.

1. Near Card
- You can only got 5 near card max.
- Silver or Gold card can not be neared.
- Neared card can not be neared again.

2. Solo mission between story hub & bar(harder) has difference in difficulty.

3. Monster / Boss card
- 4 / 7 / 10 stars cards are unique and very vague in description.
- Ice Giant 7 star is very good for low level +90 Attack, but with one major deficit, it hit 1 dmg when monster is down. With 70% monster down time in high level special play.....
- Loki 10 star is good for DS build, It prevent HP consumption but SP gain minus 10.
- Blue Mage (Extra Mission 7 & 12) cards are good
- 1 star, team attack enhancement and attack +10% (Mighty Aura)
- 2 star, team defense enhancement and defense +100% (Mighty Body)
- 4 star, Get more HP during DS
- 7 Star, ODS = 2 x SP Maximize
- 10 Star, = 2 x DS high risk without risk

4. Stats has caps, You can only add combination of
- +150 attack & defense points max
- Training +30% attacks max, but calculate separately for Normal, Ground & Air (Max 3 cards each.) actually more complicated than these.
- Combo finish enhancement +20% attack (1 card per different combo)
- Tension +20% attack when max, conflict with DS mode (2x Lv5 card = 100%)
- Critical Chance +80% max, as you originally own 20% chance (4x Lv5 card)
- Critical Hit +60% max (2x Lv5 Card)
- and others...

5. Common Job Builds
Swordsman : DS build + Edge wave (not Sonic Wave) or Splash wave if you can get one.
Assasin : Critcal build + Dual Wield or you got hold on to Sun Sword
Hunter : Attack build, Freeze build or Paralysis build
Hammer : Very specialize on specific Boss (I used it for Loki & Surt)
Others : not played

6. Weapon Card
The most confusing and time consuming part of all things
After you upgrade the weapon to lv10, you can have option to extract the skill attached to weapon into a card.

Many skill combination can only be got by this way, common one includes
- SP Maximize + SP Recycle (Cost 5)
- 2x Lv5 Critical Hit (Cost 15)
- 2x Lv5 Critical Chance (Cost 20)

Minimum card cost is 5, and weapons come with 3 grading (Bronze, Silver & Gold), which affects the card cost only, Bronze -5 Silver -10 & Gold -15 (really depends which Wiki you are referring to, but I preferred Bronze -5 instead of zero).
SP Maximize(5) + SP Recycle(5) - 5 = cost 5.
But single Lv5 Critical Hit cost 15, 2x should be cost 30, and here comes the EP weapons. In JP way, there are 3 major updates as EP1,2&3, basic weapon deduction cost are varied between updates, EP1 covers all weapons in initial launch, EP2 weapon skill deduction cost varies with different prefix of same weapon, from -5 to -20. EP3 is simpler for unique weapons, either (-5,-10,-15), (-10,-15,-20) or (-10,-15,-25) for differnt group of weapons.
So EP2 weapon (LegBite) without prefix deduction skill cost is (-15,-20,-25), so 2x Lv5 Critical Hit (30) - 15 = cost 15 (Bronze)

PS. Critical Hit skill cost varies with level (5,10,15,15,15)

But................... 2x Lv5 Critical Hit (LegBite) actually not exist.
So here come to weapon upgrade skill change, all weapons has a chance of skill change when upgrading from lv7->8, lv8->9 & lv9-10 (excluding mysterious & destiny prefix weapon) with 2%, 3% & 5% chance respectively.
Bronze LegBite with Lv4 Critical Hit + Lv3 Critical Hit can be bought from shop. So you know what to do... Save & Reload.
For Mysterious prefix, skill change occured at lv3-4, lv6-7 & lv9-10 with 3%, 6% & 9% chance respectively. (Some says upgrade from lv9-10 change chance is lower instead). For Destiny prefix (EP3 weapon) have very high chance on lv9-10. While these two weapon types also have chance of skill downgrade.

And................... double skill up is also possible on upper & lower skill at the same time, please don't tried it on lv7-8, JP analysis on 1000 times (10x lv7 weapon), single upgrade occured 18 times & no double up case found. while I'm not sure EP3 weapon has any difference, but my Polearm (Berserk lv3 + Berserk lv3) upgrade to both lv5 in 3~4 hours (2 single skill up & 1 double skills up). Also Mysterious weapon has higher chance of doubling up.

Finally skill attached to weapon is not pure random. All non-unique weapon with different prefix have a pool of upper 8 skills + lower 8 skills, total 64 combinations, so don't chase for imaginative weapon.

For unique weapon (EP3), there are 2 types, total 3 for each job. Extra Mission 15-26, each have very rare drop of different unique weapon (my experience, 5 drops in 80 tries), and have a pool of upper 5 skills + lower 5 skills, and a very powerful skill can be found on both upper & lower skill, so you got 1/25 chance after rare weapon did drop, and I didn't even mention Gold version, while for gold version, unique kill cost 25, got both = cost 50, Gold deduct 20(25), total cost 30(25). If only you can found one.

The remaining rare unique ones can be found on extra mission 27~29 (100 Giants), rare drops from giant killed, normally 1 to 5 per run with pool of 8x5 skill set with some other unique skills.... also destiny prefix weapon may be rewarded as mission reward.

7. Resource Gathering
Just in case you found upper text not time consuming enough, all weapon upgrades, new armor look, armor upgrade, head decoration, and even potions sold on shops requires resource gathering plus money. And some are very rare drop like 12 out of 80 successful quest runs during unique weapon farming, and some weapon upgrade requires 11 of these for a single level upgrade

Note: On the unique weapon farming, there's one can be specifically soloed by Hammer, its tooks me 5 mins per try..... others mostly 10-20 mins or not able to farm sololy.

So to be warned, this game is a time pit and hard (Extra Mission).

Mzo

The Merc Edition should be delivered by Tues! My name on PSN is Batdz-Mzo, I'll start adding people from the rest of the thread. Excites!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks for all that info, Wahz! It's a nice view into the mechanics and late game considerations. So the return of Rough Drop Chances in RO... hah, way too familiar. CritSin, Speciality build smiths, Weapons being the key to victory... Yeah, that's RO alright!

That was a lot to post, especially from a phone!

kiyomi

Does the game have voice chat or some sort of text chat? Havent played vita games online before (only have Gravity Rush and MK).
Some games disable it, but don't forget the Vita has a voice chat function in party. Maybe someone who has played it can tell us if it gets disabled?

panda21

i bought the Korean version of this in Korea and it turns out the whole thing is in english which is kind of weird.

seems cool so far but i didnt play much.

rockx4

Thinking about getting, but I'm really confused on how armor sets work. Worthplaying.com preview says this:

"Armor sets in Ragnarok Odyssey do not influence stats. Instead, each armor piece has slots for cards, which are picked up by completing quests. (You no longer need to farm them off enemies at a 0.01% drop rate.) While different armor sets initially have different numbers of slots, a Seamstress NPC in town can add slots; this leaves all of the armor functionally identical over time and allows players to customize their appearance out of an advertised 20,000+ combinations."

Is it just 1 armor set that covers the entire body (minus the hat)? Or is it multiple pieces like chest, hands, legs, feet, etc.

Wahz

All fully upgraded armors are the same 8 card slots with 100 points allocation. While each armor come with a card, some are unique to the game.

Fisico

Waiting for my US version to reach my mailbox, but since I'm european I will only be able to play online with my friends who get the game, this region localized system sux.

garath

Glad to see the OT for this. My copy is pre-ordered from Newegg when they had a sale. Should be arriving later this week or early next depending on how much shipping is disrupted by Sandy.

I love that wiki post from Wahz. Lots of good info in there. Can't wait to play!

demigod

Sup tek, im getting the merc edition, maybe we can [team up].

Gadirok

Should I pick up this or liberations? Only have the spare cash for one since I am getting ZoE HD and Allstars next month (that fills up my quota).

Liberations will probably play like an assassins creed, but whats some similar games to Raganrok?

garath

Should I pick up this or liberations? Only have the spare cash for one since I am getting ZoE HD and Allstars next month (that fills up my quota).

Liberations will probably play like an assassins creed, but whats some similar games to Raganrok?

Monster Hunter, Phantasy Star Portable

Thank you for shopping at Newegg.com

We're delighted we had what you were looking for!

Your order should be processed and ready to be shipped within 24-48 hours.* Below is your order confirmation. Please keep a copy for your records.

*If you opted to pick up this order using our Will Call Service, you will receive another confirmation e-mail when your order is ready to be picked up. Generally, if an order is placed and verified between 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, it will be available for pickup the same day.

Please click here to check order status.

my Merc edition has been charged.

Just in case you found upper text not time consuming enough, all weapon upgrades, new armor look, armor upgrade, head decoration, and even potions sold on shops requires resource gathering plus money.

So, to confirm, does that mean armor does affect your outward appearance? I've added the FAQ to the OT so I want to make it as comprehensible as possible.

Top Bottom