• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

**** Raider Underworld PS3/360

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
As long as the game controls more that Assassins Creed and much much less like Raider Anniversary. I just finished Anniversary this week and I want to punch the person that did the controls in the dink. Jumping is button mashing. Not fun.

Legend was good though. I'm looking forward to where Lara goes after the way Legend ended.

Hmmm...so you guys enjoyed Anniversary a lot? Most recent game I played was Legends. I think I'll grab Anniversary tomorrow for a rent.

Wow, do not want. I think the mystique of **** raider has well and truly worn off. I would rather play another remake, #2 even, and awash myself in sentimentality instead.

Sean

Banned
mr stroke said:
the shots look great, but Uncharted did those same settings just as well as any TR game so far..I really wish they wouldn't play it safe and give us the same damn setting over and over again...could we get dessert, north pole, or maybe even space this time?

TR Legend had those types of environments...?

trlegenddesertb0e7a.jpg

trlegendsnow5f8d3.jpg

Cannot wait, looks rad.

Major thumbs up re: the new model...lots of new facial details, looks more and more like an actual human being, quite close to the beautiful woman that Angelina Jolie was able to bring to life.

As Aurelius said, hopefully there's more Anniversary in this than Legend...but I have no doubts about its quality, considering Anniversary (especially) and Legend.

pswii60

Uncharted is jaw dropping 90% of the time, seriously full of awesome in the graphics dept. However, the screens above have some great style, especially the Lara Croft character model - this could make up for any technical shortcomings.

However, I find it amusing that most of this board were asking for Uncharted to stop being compared to Womb Raider just a few weeks ago. But now the exact same people are doing the same thing the other way around. lol.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
i am worried , that sceen with 2 black cougars it's just look like they still use that broken aim system , plus they re used the same animations as TR:L and TR:A , not only this part but also the two shots with climbing .

I have feeling that they will used just upgraded ver of TR:L engine ( normal thing with yearly sequels ) but I hope they change the gameplay , because if it's all about the grappler for third time in a row then Crystal dynamics is doing the same mistake that core did years ago .

Nolan.

Lara looks a bit pumped there to me, like she's been working out for something. Now all she has to do is find a poll in one level, stop for a brief moment to adjust her hair band, whilst someone take a picture and everyone will be happy. Honestly why does she remind me of that allison girl. Seriously though i'm liking the new look and come on to all the comparisons to Uncharted and assassins creed. It's **** Raider. Also by the looks of it, it seems like it might have a lot more of the older **** raider feel to this one than he new games have had.

aku:jiki

Station42 said:
I hope they go with some assassin creed controls/mechanics.

thay CAN'T ignore it.
Yeah...automated climbing in a game that's all about climbing? No. Keep that shit out of TR.

Prine

Banned
Its going to be hard playing any game that involves acrobatic platforming after Assasins Creed.

It was perfect in that game

elseanio

Prine said:
Its going to be hard playing any game that involves acrobatic platforming after Assasins Creed.

It was perfect in that game

Shortly after playing Assasins Creed, I went onto Uncharted. Kept holding R1 to run up a wall

White Man

I like what I see. For what it's worth, I think the **** Raider series has never been as awesome as it was in Legend and Anniversary. I was never a huge OG **** Raider fan (I thought the controls were clunky), and I truly wanted to love the series. In my experience, it just got super awesome over these past two releases.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Dark FaZe said:
Hmmm...so you guys enjoyed Anniversary a lot? Most recent game I played was Legends. I think I'll grab Anniversary tomorrow for a rent.
Anniversary may very well be the best TR released to date (save for the lame QTEs).

Klytus

Looks great. The new character model is a huge improvement, and looks properly current-gen. Will be interesting to see how they handle the combat, and if they implement an Uncharted-style* cover system.

*Replace with 'Gears' or 'kill.switch' to taste.

I liked Legend, so i am definitely looking forward to this game.
Klytus said:
Looks great. The new character model is a huge improvement, and looks properly current-gen. Will be interesting to see how they handle the combat, and if they implement an Uncharted-style* cover system.

That would get rid of the whole over the top acrobatics of jumping/ducking during the gun fight. Do not want. Hell personally i was kind of reminded of DMC a bit with that silly slide move in legend and the enemy would hang in the air for a second.

Edit: Oh its also time to put that whole dirt/water system to use and make a mud wrestling minigame.

Klytus

Lostconfused said:
That would get rid of the whole over the top acrobatics of jumping/ducking during the gun fight. Do not want. Hell personally i was kind of reminded of DMC a bit with that silly slide move in legend and the enemy would hang in the air for a second.

True, I guess taking cover is not very Lara. I only played around halfway through Legend and haven't even tried anniversary, so I'm not completely clued up on recent developments, but I do think that combat has always been the least gratifying part of TR. Still, it would be nice if they tried to implement something that made it a bit more involving, other than randomly flipping and jumping all over the place...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Klytus said:

2149007270_552d40bb1e.jpg

look like they will stick to Tom brider old school running and gunning style , also i don't see the cover system fit with Tom Braider style , again this is yearly sequels series so huge improvement ( gameplay wise ) over the last one is kinda impossible

Salazar

Totobeni said:
again this is yearly sequels series so huge improvement ( gameplay wise ) over the last one is kinda impossible

You're going with 'impossible' ?

In, amazingly, before snooty posts about how Crystal Dynamics could have made a good game but shed key staff so TR has no chance.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Salazar said:
You're going with 'impossible' ?

In, amazingly, before snooty posts about how Crystal Dynamics could have made a good game but shed key staff so TR has no chance.

me said:
again this is yearly sequels series so huge improvement ( gameplay wise ) over the last one is kinda impossible

Kinda

I usually don't/can't trust yearly installments , yet it's not impossible , Insomniac did huge improvements in Ratchet series -was yearly too- ( imo Ratchet 3 >>>> R&C2 >>R&C1 ) so it's not completely impossible..yeah .

White Man

Pardon my out of touchness, but is Warren Spector still consulting or anything or whatever the hell he did on Legends?

Actually, that's a good topic: what the hell was his degree of involvement with **** Raider legends? Did he actually do shit, or did they just basically name drop him to add an air of credibility to a then-struggling series?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
'Legend was both a great revival to the series and game in itself, so I am looking forward to this.

Hopefully the alleged dark tone of the game won't ruin it.

Nolan.

RichardAM said:
'Legend was both a great revival to the series and game in itself, so I am looking forward to this.

Hopefully the alleged dark tone of the game won't ruin it.

Wasn't revelation kind of dark in tone.? If it's anything like that i'll be very happy. I remember playing levels in that, which felt pulsating, like having that giant pharoh chase after you.

White Man

Metalmurphy said:
I wish they'd stop ruining Lara's face. :S

I kinda wish they'd stop contributing to her inevitable later-in-life back pain, too. Her spine is basically going to be lukewarm jello by the time she is like 30. She is totally in Power Girl territory.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
White Man said:
Pardon my out of touchness, but is Warren Spector still consulting or anything or whatever the hell he did on Legends?

Actually, that's a good topic: what the hell was his degree of involvement with **** Raider legends? Did he actually do shit, or did they just basically name drop him to add an air of credibility to a then-struggling series?

Dunno about his involvement with Legends but Warren is now working within Disney Inteactive so he's probably out of Underworld.

White Man said:
I kinda wish they'd stop contributing to her inevitable later-in-life back pain, too. Her spine is basically going to be lukewarm jello by the time she is like 30. She is totally in Power Girl territory.

I guess its time for some super powers.

White Man

Lostconfused said:
I guess its time for some super powers.

power-girl-4.gif

I have no other comment. This thread just needed an example of Power Girl for the uninitiated. And no, that is not fan art or anything. That is, uh, bona fide.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Nolan. said:
Wasn't revelation kind of dark in tone.? If it's anything like that i'll be very happy.

That's true.

I'm just scared with the release of any TR game it'll end up becoming something awful similar to Angel of Darkness. The last two games have been good though, so hopefully this one will just continue that recent success.

White Man said:
I have no other comment. This thread just needed an example of Power Girl for the uninitiated. And no, that is not fan art or anything. That is, uh, bona fide.

I am quiet well aware of who power girl is, another good choice would have been the "are they too big". I just cant seem to find it.

White Man said:

It's not that good.... bad... erm big. :p

Seems about the same as Legends 1 and Anniversary. Don't recall the old ones though.

Would be great if someone did a Chronological album about it :lol

Ramenman

Didn't they want to do something like open-world or else ? I seem to remember they wanted to change the formula.

Something on the other thread probably.

Totobeni said:
2149007270_552d40bb1e.jpg

look like they will stick to Tom brider old school running and gunning style , also i don't see the cover system fit with Tom Braider style , again this is yearly sequels series so huge improvement ( gameplay wise ) over the last one is kinda impossible

A couple of corrections. The first one is that it's not a yearly sequel series. One of the more interesting comments that CD made in the PLAY issue for Underworld is that Eidos no longer has a "this is the release date and its coming out then no matter what" mentality for the series. They're going to allow them to finish it. That's why Legend kept getting push back so much. Eidos wasn't forcing it out the door because they knew it was the series last real hope of gaining any footing in the industry. So while Underworld is scheduled for 08, if its not done its not coming out. Also they've been working on this since Legend since its not like they completed Anniversary and started working on this, its been in development for at least a year now.

As far as combat goes, from what little they've said it has improved. You can now target multiple enemies at a time, Lara can shoot while hanging, and she has CQC moves. The climbing system is apparently a lot more advanced now where Lara can grab onto nearly any surface that you see sticking out. But they aren't really talking about alot of the new stuff at this point.

Top Bottom