• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

**** Raider Underworld PS3/360

MisterHero

White Man said:
poor-depiction-of-power-girl.jpg

I have no other comment. This thread just needed an example of Power Girl for the uninitiated. And no, that is not fan art or anything. That is, uh, bona fide.
Yeah that pic made me hate Michael Turner forever.

T-o-m-b Raider looks good. Hopefully it plays good too. :)

Why is T-o-m-b a banned word?

Mau ®

Dark FaZe said:
6u9timu.jpg

<3 <3 <3

The other shots are nothing to talk about IMO. But Im sure it will be a ride, just like Legends. Day 1 for me!

I have yet to play Aniversary... whats the veredict on the 360 version?

Nolan.

MisterHero said:

Because of the whole Cain And Linch and eiidos and sacking of reviewer episode thing I think.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
MisterHero said:

Gerstman-Gate

Game looks way better then i expected.

I expect a great multi-platform game Crystal D. Looking atmospheric as ever. Lara looks great, I thought they were making her breasts smaller in the Legends arc, maybe that's just marketing materials.

I also expect those panthers to be freaking smart, make them actually hunt Lara instead of just circle circle pounce, reform. Make her hair get wet if you're going to make her skin get wet too, weight her pony tail a bit more.

bathala

Banned
I love Uncharted, but wats better than Uncharted. playing a buxom babe with Uncharted gameplay (hopefully story too)

gcubed

bathala said:
I love Uncharted, but wats better than Uncharted. playing a buxom babe with Uncharted gameplay (hopefully story too)

its not gonna be uncharted gameplay. pswii60 was half right that everyone complains about the comparisons.... its valid because although they are adventure games with climbing, exploring etc, the gameplay is different. Its NOT going to be the same. I havent played a TR game in ages, with all the love anniversary and legends is getting, maybe i'll have to pick them up to get ready for this

Doodis

Opus Angelorum said:
Is Legend any good? I quite enjoyed the demo but the shooting mechanics were as expected, awful.
It's worth a rental. I thought it was some good platforming fun.

nelsonroyale said:
looks decent, though not as impressive graphically as uncharted from those pics... though I wouldnt expect it anyway... ND>**** raider team on the graphics front

For fucks sake, can I enter one thread without the Uncharted squad coming in trumpeting about that game.

Opus Angelorum said:
Is Legend any good? I quite enjoyed the demo but the shooting mechanics were as expected, awful.

It's fun, a few slowdown issues (nothing groundbreaking) but the level design is top notch. I'm really enjoying the puzzles. As I never played the original to completion everything seems new to me.

Ramenman

SolidSnakex said:
A couple of corrections. The first one is that it's not a yearly sequel series. One of the more interesting comments that CD made in the PLAY issue for Underworld is that Eidos no longer has a "this is the release date and its coming out then no matter what" mentality for the series. They're going to allow them to finish it. That's why Legend kept getting push back so much. Eidos wasn't forcing it out the door because they knew it was the series last real hope of gaining any footing in the industry. So while Underworld is scheduled for 08, if its not done its coming out. Also they've been working on this since Legend since its not like they completed Anniversary and started working on this, its been in development for at least a year now.

Oh noes
:p

And I predict that although the Uncharted comparison thing is already getting annoying, it shall bother us 'til the end.

Ramenman said:
And I predict that although the Uncharted comparison thing is already getting annoying, it shall bother us 'til the end.

It's annoying but you can pretty much blame it on the people who couldn't enter an Uncharted thread without describing it as Dude Raider all the way through the games development. The shit should stop anyway, Uncharted wasn't trying to be TR and TR doesn't need to try to be Uncharted (and damn sure doesn't need to be like AC which is also being brought up). They're different games.

GauntletFan said:
For fucks sake, can I enter one thread without the Uncharted squad coming in trumpeting about that game.

your the guy who trumpets AC in every thread... its definitely an understandable sentiment, and the comment came up because I am playing uncharted right now, and have a certain dislike for this serious, and I thought this looks decent...but you are a bit of hypocrite

Kyoufu

Personally, I'd love to play a proper adventuring **** raider game that looked as good as Uncharted.

As good as Uncharted is, there wasn't enough platforming for my tastes. If Crystal Dynamics get it right, I'll be there. If not, then its another Tom Braider game I ignore, and believe me, I've ignored them all since Tom Braider 2.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
SolidSnakex said:
It's annoying but you can pretty much blame it on the people who couldn't enter an Uncharted thread without describing it as Dude Raider all the way through the games development. The shit should stop anyway, Uncharted wasn't trying to be TR and TR doesn't need to try to be Uncharted (and damn sure doesn't need to be like AC which is also being brought up). They're different games.

The comparisons are valid, just not here. Uncharted relies more on shooting while **** Raider rests heavily on the platforming and puzzle solving aspects of the character driven adventure genre.

Anyways, I have confidence in the gameplay CD is going to deliver, but if this new model is any indication of the new art style, I'm not liking it one bit. I dig the dark, dim, and grim atmosphere, just not a forty-five year old Lara Croft who...actually, it's best I don't describe exactly what I was thinking.

dirtmonkey37 said:
The comparisons are valid, just not here. Uncharted relies more on shooting while **** Raider rests heavily on the platforming and puzzle solving aspects of the character driven adventure genre.

But that's exactly why the comparison isn't valid because of what you just described. Their focus is entirely in different areas. If TR played like Uncharted where it had a heavy emphasis on combat people would hate it no matter how well they pulled off the combat because it'd no longer be TR.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
SolidSnakex said:
But that's exactly why the comparison isn't valid because of what you just described. Their focus is entirely in different areas. If TR played like Uncharted where it had a heavy emphasis on combat people would hate it no matter how well they pulled off the combat because it'd no longer be TR.

Still, the games are very much alike. I could understand how Assassin's Creed and Uncharted can be an unfair comparison, but Uncharted and **** Raider: that's the ideal comparison. Uncharted's adventuring-to-shooting ratio is 40/60 while **** Raider's is 60/40 --- it by no means indicates that the titles aren't comparable.

dirtmonkey37 said:
Still, the games are very much alike. I could understand how Assassin's Creed and Uncharted can be an unfair comparison, but Uncharted and **** Raider: that's the ideal comparison. Uncharted's adventuring-to-shooting ratio is 40/60 while **** Raider's is 60/40 --- it by no means indicates that the titles aren't comparable.

You can compare pretty much any game, and yeah Uncharted and TR are basically in the same genre. I just don't think they're very much alike and both are obviously trying to achieve different things. Its very much like MGS and SC. They're both stealth games but they both have a very different approach to the genre.

I can see this is going to be a losing battle with the new generation of Sony fans who have only just played Uncharted. I can't wait until they show more Indy, the spilled blood will be delicious.

Lest we forget that Lara was once a franchise that was synonymous with PlayStation, pivotal to console's success and opening up gaming to a new market. Lara has more to prove than Uncharted, but dead? Go screw yourself GAF.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Hopefully the change of logo style means Eido-s has finally accepted the fact that there won't be another movie and they should stop reminding people the two films existed.

Visualante said:
I can see this is going to be a losing battle with the new generation of Sony fans who have only just played Uncharted. I can't wait until they show more Indy, the spilled blood will be delicious.

Lest we forget that Lara was once a franchise that was synonymous with PlayStation, pivotal to console's success and opening up gaming to a new market. Lara has more to prove than Uncharted, but dead? Go screw yourself GAF.

Thanks for bringing system wars into this, it just proves that there cant be a thread on the gaming side without it.

RavenFox said:
Well lets hope they can actually wow us or he's right.

How is he right? Legend and Anniversary have proven the series still has legs. Many of the same people who started hating the series around TR3 have since become a fan of it again because of those 2 games. CD basically revived it.

SolidSnakex said:
How is he right? Legend and Anniversary have proven the series still has legs. Many of the same people who started hating the series around TR3 have since become a fan of it again because of those 2 games. CD basically revived it.

TRL was actually the first game in the series where I really enjoyed it, Anniversary was even better than that. I honestly couldent care less about the previous grid based games, but the new style of **** Raider games are fantastic.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Put me down in the "**** Raider was complete shit until Legend" column. Tank controls in a platforming-heavy game? Are you fucking kidding me?
Now, Legend... there's a game I can get behind. When my biggest complaint is that the game is too short, (really another compliment) you know the developer is doing things right.

SolidSnakex said:
What's bullshot looking about it?

*looks hard at it* I guess your right. Maybe its just the facial expression that has me thinking it looks a bit better than a different picture of her model. I want to believe!

As far as Uncharted gameplay mechanics mixed with TR. That'd be nice. Better shooting, some cover, etc when fighting against men, but with a game that still heavily relies on great platforming and the like.

ZeoVGM

Banned
NeonBlade said:
Looks like she's back to killing animals again.

Seriously, who the hell wants this shite? This series should be dead.

So you're a troll who hasn't played a **** Raider game since PS1? Thanks for you're input.

Also, you're wrong.

Dark FaZe said:
*looks hard at it* I guess your right. Maybe its just the facial expression that has be thinking it looks a bit better than a different picture of her model. I want to believe!

As far as Uncharted gameplay mechanics mixed with TR. That'd be nice. Better shooting, some cover, etc when fighting against men, but with a game that still heavily relies on great platforming and the like.
I think they confirmed fighting against humans is going to be at an all time low in this game. Seems like you can use the environment really well to use it as an advantage in this game, climbing a pole and shooting from that is really much smarter than stop and pop.

Probably my favourite thing that they have shown so far.

kbear

Looks amazing... Legend was one of my favorite games of 2006. If you never played it and like adventure type games then buy it now, it's probably like 20 bucks. Environments and locales are really varied and interesting.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I actually bought Anniversary on Wii too. Because I am a servant of the QUEEN and I must own her on every platform.

Except the 360, but I would get it there if I saw it too!

Agent X

Toy Soldier said:
Major thumbs up re: the new model...lots of new facial details, looks more and more like an actual human being, quite close to the beautiful woman that Angelina Jolie was able to bring to life.

That's how I feel. The first thing I noticed is that the Lara Croft model here looks much more realistic and believable compared to what we saw with previous games in the series. I'm sure some of the design aspects of the old model were tied to technology limitations of gaming hardware circa 1996, and Crystal Dynamics did a good job of updating that for the last couple of games, but this looks like an even bigger step forward.

Agent X said:
That's how I feel. The first thing I noticed is that the Lara Croft model here looks much more realistic and believable compared to what we saw with previous games in the series. I'm sure some of the design aspects of the old model were tied to technology limitations of gaming hardware circa 1996, and Crystal Dynamics did a good job of updating that for the last couple of games, but this looks like an even bigger step forward.

The old model is all Toby's doing. He didn't want her to look realistic so as a result she was given big eyes, big lips, huge boobs ect.

Top Bottom