• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World continues to look amazing

KevinCow

Banned
The animations in this game are beautiful. I just hope the game is as fun to play as the graphics are nice.

Moskalova

It's coming to consoles?

PS4 confirmed at PSX

CVe6MH8UkAEBiSN.jpg:large

Other consoles in future

You may have seen a little slugcat at the PlayStation Experience keynote last month? That's right! Rain World was shown on the mainstage as part of Adult Swim's showcase, officially announcing that Rain World will be coming to PS4! Other console announcements will be forthcoming :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rain-world/project-rain-world/posts/1454923

Haunted

Main character design still freaks me the fuck out.

The beginning gave me vibes of Another World. Hiding and running in a bleak, oppressive atmosphere...

edit: I love that cylindrical map, that's so smart.

I'm having side scrolling fatigue. Even the uniqueness of the art style doesn't do anything for me.
This game is doing things no other 2D game, or most games in general, is doing. Mainly in terms of AI and procedural generation

- The animations are all procedurally generated and physics-based
- Every creature is procedurally generated, each individual being unique both visually (size, scale patterns) and "mentally" (personality and vision)
- The AI is incredibly complex, able to understand the relationship between itself and other species and the environments and adapt accordingly. For example, if a predator loses sight of you, it can predict where you might end up
- The AI makes for a dynamic ecosystem that acts independently of you. So bats migrate, Pack hunters communicate with each other and listen to their alpha. Lizards fight for dominance, or hunt each other while being hunted by bigger predators. You're just a small omnivore in the middle of it.

Ibuki

Banned
This game is doing things no other 2D game, or most games in general, is doing. Mainly in terms of AI and procedural generation

- Every creature is procedurally generated, each individual being unique both visually (size, scale patterns) and "mentally" (personality and vision)
- The AI is incredibly complex, able to understand the relationship between itself and other species and the environments and adapt accordingly. For example, if a predator loses sight of you, it can predict where you might end up
- The AI makes for a dynamic ecosystem that acts independently of you. So bats migrate, Pack hunters communicate with each other and listen to their alpha. Lizards fight for dominance, or hunt each other while being hunted by bigger predators. You're just a small omnivore in the middle of it.

Most of these things are news to me, it sounds so incredible. I'll definitely be buying this.

I'm having side scrolling fatigue. Even the uniqueness of the art style doesn't do anything for me.

I thought it was quite refreshing, actually. At least it's not just another 8bit platformer.

Edit: Love the way the creatures flop about. The way everything interacts with each other is really impressive too. Hopefully that isn't all there is to it though, can see it becoming boring after a while if that's the case.

The pack hunters are really cool. They communicate with the flashing stripes on their antennae, so if one sees you, all of them see you essentially. The big one with the longest antennae is the alpha
You can see how they split up to cut off your escape routes
MedicalUnsightlyGrasshopper.gif

Also vision is based on movement and distance, so stuff like water and smoke can hide you. You can see how how the lizard can't see well under the water and it doesn't notice you because you're far away

Cue people complaining about being fatigued with 'fake retro' games!

(It's an opinion, but Rain World being the target is a joke at this stage)

High hopes for this game.

The pack hunters are really cool. They communicate with the flashing stripes on their antennae, so if one sees you, all of them see you essentially. The big one with the longest antennae is the alpha
You can see how they split up to cut off your escape routes
MedicalUnsightlyGrasshopper.gif

Also vision is based on movement and distance, so stuff like water and smoke can hide you. You can see how how the lizard can't see well under the water and it doesn't notice you because you're far away

This is the kind of game design I love to see.

Do we have a release window outside of just 2016?
No, just 2016 at this point. But they recently finished up all the regions and are working on polishing the previous regions, the narrative, set pieces, multiplayer, adding some more species, etc

So they're in the final stretch

---

A look at the procedural nature of the creatures
"Plumage, bodies, limbs, facial shape and horns are all procedurally created"
Ld0rn.gif
fsQ9.gif
tKz5i.gif

XVwve.gif
ZTzJ0.gif
CkF4x.gif

RPGam3r

Sounds a bit like a side scrolling No Man's Sky.

Sounds a bit like a side scrolling No Man's Sky.
Somewhat. The world is hand-crafted, and is an interconnected map with 12 different regions. About 1,200+ rooms, some spanning multiple screens

And the procedural generation is only within the species limitations. You won't see new creatures created, just different kinds of the same species. But there are a lot of different species here and a big element of survival is learning how the species interact and using that to your advantage

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So trippy and scary o.o

One of the most impressive aspect of the visuals is the lighting and the water. You can really get a sense of depth, like here you can see the water sloshing in and out of the opening in the wall

Or in the second, with the shadows moving behind the grate
IpPXu.gif
DishonestIncredibleCanine.gif

Somewhat. The world is hand-crafted, and is an interconnected map with 12 different regions. About 1,200+ rooms, some spanning multiple screens

And the procedural generation is only within the species limitations. You won't see new creatures created, just different kinds of the same species. But there are a lot of different species here and a big element of survival is learning how the species interact and using that to your advantage

Are you or do you know the Dev for this game?

You have sold me on this game. Sounds awesome.

Never heard of it until now, but I'm loving the style. From the look and vibe I thought it was a Nifflas joint, but nope. He did say he really wants to play it, though. And for those who dig this, but haven't heard of Nifflas' games like Knytt Stories (amazing game) check him out! Knytt Stories is such a fantastic platformer (with a dope soundtrack) and there are countless user created levels available. With that said, the original levels ooze atmosphere out the ass.

Top Bottom