• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Hikami

How can you think that after how fucking terrible the Untold 1 story mode was, at least 2 Untold sounds way better. The simple idea of Story mode in EO games still fucking sucks, but I hope they can at least make them decent.

I will hurt you.
¯_(ツ)_/¯

Demoskinos

Cool. Care to explain why?

Sure. I've always been bored to death by the concept of Soccer (or Futball for my EU friends) and fundamentally Rocket League is just that. Combine that with the fact that I've also never been a car guy. Hell, I wouldn't own one at all if I didn't have to and you pretty much have the two things I'm the least interested in in some sort of mashup.

If there were other elements in the game that I enjoyed at all I might be more forgiving of it. Megaman Soccer is the closest I've ever come to actually liking a Soccer Game and it was largely due to the fact that I think Megaman is rad. So what I'm saying is throw Hatsune Miku into Rocket League and I might at least download it. ;)

I think angry Joe is both annoying and not funny. His YouTube videos are stupid and a chore to sit through. I tried because he seems to be pretty prevalent, but I don't understand the appeal at all. His content isn't even good and I get his same content at any other number of outlets that aren't going to make me want to break my computer. He's just incredibly not funny.

Bl@de

Sure. I've always been bored to death by the concept of Soccer (or Futball for my EU friends) and fundamentally Rocket League is just that. Combine that with the fact that I've also never been a car guy. Hell, I wouldn't own one at all if I didn't have to and you pretty much have the two things I'm the least interested in in some sort of mashup.

You don't like soccer and cars. That doesn't make Rocket League overrated. It's just not something that is aimed at you. I don't like multiplayer shooters but I can acknowledge it if a game is great in that genre. And Rocket League is perfectly executed for what it does. Different games for different tastes.

Manu

But that's not what overrated means.

EDIT: Bl@de said it better on the post above.

Demoskinos

You don't like soccer and cars. That doesn't make Rocket League overrated. It's just not something that is aimed at you. I don't like multiplayer shooters but I can acknowledge it if a game is great in that genre. And Rocket League is perfectly executed for what it does. Different games for different tastes.

But that's not what overrated means.

EDIT: Bl@de said it better on the post above.

Well the thread is about opinions so...that's my opinion. Never said it was a logical one. Obviously, a lot of people have the exact opposite view and thats fine.

Farks!

Oh my fucking god, "Dead Money" (Fallout NV) is the worst fucking piece of garbage I've ever played. I've been playing video games for over 20 years and never have I played such a garbage fucking game/expansion. I love New Vegas, but holy fuck. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to design this is fucked in the head. I had to revert to an old save in the Mojave because I couldn't even force myself to finish it. Utter fucking garbage.

Most people dislike Dead Money, so I wouldn't call in an unpopular opinion. I on the other hand loved it, and even dare say it's one of the best parts of the whole game. Heck, I'll even say it's a better Bioshock game than any of the Bioshocks ever was. I just love how it all comes togheter in the end, it's one of the best and most subtle plot twists I've ever seen and Obsidian managed to convey it not just through story and dialogue but through gameplay as well.

chozen

Naughty Dog games are over hyped and do not deserve their praise as genre defining games when I think they are personally interactive movies with many scripted scenes. I'm talking of course of Uncharted and Last of us I enjoyed a bit more but still...

m_dorian

Forgive me Father, for i have sinned. I liked Deus Ex: Human revolution much more than the first Deus Ex which i still consider mediocre.

Fuchsdh

People argue against on-disc DLC purely to mask the fact they just don't want to pay for something.

On-disc DLC is basically the publisher or devs saying "yes we had more content but we cut it down to repackage to you later". That's a bit different than "here's some content we couldn't fit in at launch" or "here's an expansion to the base story", all of which do not rely (at least as transparently) on compromising the main game in some way to make more money. Sure, you might still get 60 hours of that game, but that doesn't make the fact that they cut 10 hours from it and sold you a little unlock code to get at finished content that was ready to play from day one.

Naughty Dog games are over hyped and do not deserve their praise as genre defining games when I think they are personally interactive movies with many scripted scenes. I'm talking of course of Uncharted and Last of us I enjoyed a bit more but still...

I don't think I've ever been left with as much of an indifferent reaction from playing a game than Uncharted 2. I finished, went "huh", and then looked up how many people I killed, and realized that as Nathan Drake I'd probably single-handedly murdered more people in a few weeks than the villain of the game in his entire lifetime. I can think of many better and many worse games that provoked more of a reaction from me.

Speaking of which, Spec Ops: The Line is a trash game. I’m normally a fairly big defender of the “well the gameplay’s poor but the story is great!” (I think the BioShock series is an example of this), but Spec Op’s gameplay is either repetitive or infuriating. I’ve had people defend it as “well it’s supposed to be bad because it’s a commentary on how war is hell” and all that, but that excuse doesn't fly for me. Even "cinematic" playthroughs on the easiest mode are full of boring slogs.

• DLC is the worst thing to ever happen to gaming, as 90% of it is thoughtless, overpriced shit that is often cut out of a game by orders of a publisher.
  • Gaming has been taken over by spineless, corporation-worshiping, mindlessly apologizing, shitty business practices-defending morons that cause publishers to fuck gamers over at any change they get.
  • True creativity and risk-taking in the AAA market died ten years ago.
  • The argument that games need consistently bigger budgets is bullshit.
  • The AAA gaming industry as it is right now is bubbling and not sustainable in the long run. We are heading for a crash.
  • This generation of consoles blows ass and is probably the last one. Console gaming is dying.
  • Publishers deserve to get fined or sued for their long ass history of false advertising, fake trailers and bull-shots.
  • When a game goes permanently offline and requires an online check in order to function, players deserve a refund.
  • Anyone who goes along with the idea that purchasing a game means purchasing a license that can be revoked at any time is an idiot.
  • Old games that can no longer be found in store, that were made by development teams or publishers that no longer exist should be offered online for free.
  • Piracy is an issue that was created by the industry's shitty business practices, not greedy people.

Liamc723

• DLC is the worst thing to ever happen to gaming, as 90% of it is thoughtless, overpriced shit that is often cut out of a game by orders of a publisher.
  • This generation of consoles blows ass and is probably the last one. Console gaming is dying.

Well factually those are both wrong.

Manu

I don't think I've ever been left with as much of an indifferent reaction from playing a game than Uncharted 2. I finished, went "huh", and then looked up how many people I killed, and realized that as Nathan Drake I'd probably single-handedly murdered more people in a few weeks than the villain of the game in his entire lifetime. I can think of many better and many worse games that provoked more of a reaction from me.

Here's a controversial opinion: you only think this because you've heard it repeated over and over by other people, when it's not even true.

Potts

Neo Member
I think Red Dead Redemption is a bad video game. Too many cut scenes, game play was dull, mission design was tedious, and the story was middling. I literally fell asleep on my couch playing this game.

I would estimate that I'm 3/4 of the way done with Arkham Knight and I still have enjoyed Asylum the most.

Open world killed the series in my eyes.

Steel

Banned
I don't hate all open world games, I think it can be done well, but I feel like 90% of open world games I've played would have been far better games if they were linear. Which makes this generation of gaming's obsession with making everything open world pretty disheartening.

Liamc723

Comes into a thread titled "Your controversial gaming opinion, proceeds to mention the word "factually", doesn't state any actual facts.

0/10, would not read again.

Dude, the PS4 and the Xbox One are the fastest selling consoles for their respective companies of all time. It's common knowledge.

I feel the same but I have no idea why. By all accounts GT5 and GT6 should be better. They have the same cars, with 200 or so more detailed cars and cockpits, more tuning, more recolourable stuff, custom interior parts, dynamic ToD, weather, way better graphics, etc.

The only downgrade from GT4 is the framerate. Everything else is better in GT5/6 so I have no idea why I agree with this, but I do.

Late Flag

I don't think I've ever been left with as much of an indifferent reaction from playing a game than Uncharted 2. I finished, went "huh", and then looked up how many people I killed, and realized that as Nathan Drake I'd probably single-handedly murdered more people in a few weeks than the villain of the game in his entire lifetime.

The part about how your character killed an absurdly large number of people is true of just about every action ever made. I'm not sure why Uncharted gets called out for this all the time. I get that it takes a breezier-than-normal attitude toward violence, but so does Raiders of the Lost Ark (which it obviously draws upon), and nobody ever criticizes Indiana Jones for being too flippant about shooting that guy in the market. It's meant to be pulp. Just go with it.

Sigfodr

I don't know if I ever posted this here, but Dragon Age 2 is my favorite of the franchise. I never got into the side characters in a game as much as I did that one, and that's my favorite part of BioWare games. So, yeah, it's my fave.

Dude, the PS4 and the Xbox One are the fastest selling consoles for their respective companies of all time. It's common knowledge.

What if I told you there's a difference between statistics about current-gen sales and the long term sustainability of a market? Are you aware of what a bubble is and why I mentioned it? What if I told you that "console gaming is dying" can mean ten things other than "current sales figures"...

Tenebrous

Fighting games aside, competitive online multiplayer on consoles is irrelevant, and will never take off to the same level as PC eSports.

Tenebrous

Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts are very overrated. Kingdom Hearts is okay as a game though, FFX is just flat out bad.

The overall package is terrible, I agree, but it does have its positives. The cinematics are/were gorgeous at the time, and the musical score is fucking incredible... Oh, and the combat is good (but not as good as X-2, which is a better game anyway).

But other than that, I agree. Also on KH.

Gta V is ass. It's the worst gta game in the history of gta game. Rubbish story with unlikeable characters and horrible gameplay. Driving is ass, shooting is ass, and the world feels empty. The writing is worse than that of watch dogs and I didn't even finish that game.

Secondly, open world games should be banned. It encourages lazy design, poor character development, and the idea of "making my own adventure". I can't really think of 1 good open world game in the last 4 years that wasn't monotonous and repetitive. Go here and do this. Go here to advance the story. What a load of trash. Instead of focusing on the size of the world, focus on the quality. Allow people to form different relationships with any npc and let your actions in the world have an effect on the outcome of your story.

Finally, all ea sports games are trash. Fifa is garbage, titanfall is rubbish, bf4 is a steaming pile of manure that divides it's community with premium, nba is hot garbage, madden should be cancelled, and the golf game should be retired. Tbf, Ea don't make any good games and they haven't done so in the last 3 years. Ea is the Donald Trump of the gaming industry. It's a cancer that needs to be diagnosed and removed so that we can finally see innovation again and not rehashed trash.

-The first Xbox used to be my least favorite console of all time, but that spot has now been claimed by the Vita. The former gave me Halo and KOTOR, at least.

-Almost two years later, I still feel about the same regarding The Last of Us: I have zero desire to replay it and thinking about it still fills me with an overwhelming sense of 'meh' (Talking about SP only, no idea about MP).

-I still want whoever came up with "Achievements" to die a gory death (not really, but I hope you catch my drift).

-I have zero faith in Guerrilla's next game. I'll gladly eat crow on this one, but after Shadow Fall I refuse to get excited.

I would estimate that I'm 3/4 of the way done with Arkham Knight and I still have enjoyed Asylum the most.

Open world killed the series in my eyes.

That is not actually controversial, just an opinion. You will find a lot of people in pretty much every Arkham thread that would agree with you.

KHlover

Banned
  • WRPGs peaked with Gothic 2
  • Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario game released so far
  • Metroid Other M is more fun than Metroid Prime 2
  • Even Metroid II is better than Prime 2, in fact Prime 2 is along with Hunters the worst game in the series
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. 4 are both better than Melee
  • Nintendoland was completely underrated
  • Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded is a better version of Kingdom Hearts 1 than Kingdom Hearts 1
  • Wonderful 101 is hot trash
  • I actually don't care if Kojima's name is on the boxart or not
  • I want DKCR 3

Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts are very overrated. Kingdom Hearts is okay as a game though, FFX is just flat out bad.

I, too, hated FFX.

HGDpVoC.gif

My controversial gaming opinion: GTA is overrated...GTA II was awesome and all, and it was something kinda new back then when I was young...but every outing since, didnt catch me as much as GTA II, I could play GTA II for hours doing missions, or just going batshit insane and all...San Andreas for example was fun to play, but sometimes it felt like "this mission is so pointless and boring...go there...do that...shot...repeat..." GTA IV was even worse somehow...

So yeah I think GTA II is the best game of the franchise and I would hope that Rockstar made a topdown GTA just for fun....

They did and Chinatown Wars was the best GTA since 2.

zhixson

I find the only redeeming factors of FFIX to be the quality of the pre-rendered backgrounds and the well polished menu system. The rest is contrived crap wrapped around an agonizingly slow battle system and awful music that is either a "hey, remember this?" reference or a misinterpretation of the history from which it is supposedly drawing.

Man, that felt good.

Fuchsdh

Here's a controversial opinion: you only think this because you've heard it repeated over and over by other people, when it's not even true.

Or, I played the game first before I was ever on NeoGAF and heard all of the stuff around the game.

Christ, I'm not attacking you personally, so calm down. How the hell do people not understand what "opinions" mean?

The part about how your character killed an absurdly large number of people is true of just about every action ever made. I'm not sure why Uncharted gets called out for this all the time. I get that it takes a breezier-than-normal attitude toward violence, but so does Raiders of the Lost Ark (which it obviously draws upon), and nobody ever criticizes Indiana Jones for being too flippant about shooting that guy in the market. It's meant to be pulp. Just go with it.

Uncharted felt like it wanted to have its cake and eat it too. The difference between it and Indiana Jones really is the medium; in a video game killing enemies is a gameplay element that you will necessarily repeat compared to the linear story of a film. Additionally you have a sudden disconnect in cutscenes where characters who can shrug off bullets with no problem suddenly give up because a main character points a gun. None of these are issue with any Indy film.

bobawesome

I'm 46 hours into Xenoblade and I feel like the game is starting to overstay its welcome. I'm not a fan of
most of the set pieces I've encountered since coming to Mechonis (aside from the arm, that was fantastic)

Maybe not shocking on here, but Dragon Age: Inquisition is fucking tedious. I said I was done with Bioware after the end of ME3 (I own almost every game they made since Baldur's Gate 1), but stupid me went ahead and picked this game up on sale.

30 hours in...

-Something interesting happens about every 10 hours it seems.

-I thought the single player MMO talk was overblown...it is not.

-Combat is worse than a game they made around 17 years ago (yeah, not the same Bioware).

-They continue to have these impassable walls on their maps that make you travel way around to get to where you're going. Trying to find some components in the Exalted Plains just now was maddening.

-Jesus protagonist to the extreme.

In the end, I'm the big dumb jerk since I'll continue playing it until the end.

Top Bottom