• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Caronte

As much as I love BG2, the first Baldur's Gate is a piece of shit. I've tried multiple times to beat it and, Jesus Christ, it's awful. Gigantic areas that are 90% empty forcing you to walk for minutes, a dialog system that's almost non-existent where you can't even refuse to take quests, shit balance especially at the beginning of the game, immersion breaking dialog every 2 steps. Ugh, I hate it so much. It blows my mind someone can think this is even remotely comparable to Baldur's Gate 2 or even Icewind Dale.

Zabi

Banned
And remember, do not herald your own personal opinion as the absolute truth that others must abide to or else.

Darn. I was about to give a lecture on my superior method of how to be a good gaming consumer now made possible by current-gen gaming.

Anyway, there are only three games I've played that I consider to be works of art and none of them are art games. They are Shadow of the Colossus, Rez, and the original PC version of Crescent Pale Mist.

Ieu

YouTube PC gamers with absurdly powerful machines don't understand PC gaming and cannot provide any meaningful input for the masses without those machines. In fact they are providing an unrealistic expectation of how the game performs and instead of informing gamers are unwittingly misleading them to a greater extent that any bullshot promo would.
The expectation that a game that has been released on consoles should get improved assets for the PC release is unwarranted. There are things a PC gamer should expect (adjustable display options, proper keyboard and mouse support, unlocked frame rates) but having higher res textures etc just means more bloat for the majority who can't use them.
Valve makes bad products first and then waits to see if the market will bear its bullshit (and 99% of the time you all have). Anyone bemoaning the release first, patch later trend in game development needs to recognise that Valve paved the way for it both with Steam, it's games and even policies such as paid mods. Microsoft's adoption of early access on Xbox is more likely to succeed as if customers are unhappy, they lose sales on the hardware due to bad rep. Be very wary of the Steam Machines, as Valve are going to let OEMs take a bath rather than pony up the support if things don't go right in terms of adoption or SteamOS and current trends such as blaming Linux for a lack of supported suspend mode show they are going to half arse it.
The only reason Valve gets away with this are the sales which is the proof that you can buy good publicity and that everyone has their price. If Origin did sales people would stop ragging on it so hard.
VR is the next 3D, are the emperors new clothes. Everyone will continue to say how it is the future until they buy it and then watch it gather dust 9 months later once the novelty and the reality of what's needed to drive a high res screen at a super-low latency/frame time sets in. Nobody except those with cash to burn will either notice or morn its passing. We'll all see it again in another 20 years... Rinse. Repeat.
The next gen of consoles will not bring any significant improvements in terms of power. They'll want another system on a chip but AMD will run out of room improving performance by upping power consumption/heat output while Intel won't budge on their prices leaving ARM with a snapdragon or equivalent. HBM solves the size of the die and memory throughput for AMD, but not the fundamental problem that Intel and NVidia have just been running circles around them in terms of efficiency. AMD are no longer a player in the market unless they offer Intel tips on how to make better graphics processors in exchange for tips on how to raise IPC and lower TDP.

Str8upevl

Neo Member
-The first Xbox used to be my least favorite console of all time, but that spot has now been claimed by the Vita. The former gave me Halo and KOTOR, at least.

-Almost two years later, I still feel about the same regarding The Last of Us: I have zero desire to replay it and thinking about it still fills me with an overwhelming sense of 'meh' (Talking about SP only, no idea about MP).

-I still want whoever came up with "Achievements" to die a gory death (not really, but I hope you catch my drift).

-I have zero faith in Guerrilla's next game. I'll gladly eat crow on this one, but after Shadow Fall I refuse to get excited.

I support all these statements

GentleDementia

Neo Member
I greatly preferred Assassin's Creed 3 to Assassin's Creed 4. I can barely get through four hours of 4 before I give up on it for the time being. I've tried like three times to get into it with no success.
The loss of the Assassin Recruits really bummed me out honestly

Servbot24

Banned
Maybe not shocking on here, but Dragon Age: Inquisition is fucking tedious. I said I was done with Bioware after the end of ME3 (I own almost every game they made since Baldur's Gate 1), but stupid me went ahead and picked this game up on sale.

30 hours in...

-Something interesting happens about every 10 hours it seems.

-I thought the single player MMO talk was overblown...it is not.

-Combat is worse than a game they made around 17 years ago (yeah, not the same Bioware).

-They continue to have these impassable walls on their maps that make you travel way around to get to where you're going. Trying to find some components in the Exalted Plains just now was maddening.

-Jesus protagonist to the extreme.

In the end, I'm the big dumb jerk since I'll continue playing it until the end.

I played 5 hours and could tell it would just be a big waste of time.

Traded it in for Super Mario 3D World. Now there's a god damn video game.

I greatly preferred Assassin's Creed 3 to Assassin's Creed 4. I can barely get through four hours of 4 before I give up on it for the time being. I've tried like three times to get into it with no success.
The loss of the Assassin Recruits really bummed me out honestly

I haven't played AC3 but I stopped playing AC4 after about 2 hours. (Only AC I've tried)
Assassins Creed is just not my type of game.

ShamePain

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn is gonna be trash, in 10 years Guerrilla hasn't managed to make a great shooter, arguable one of the easiest genres in terms of development, and now they're making a big RPG and it's gonna be great? You're kidding yourself. Look at CD Project Red and how many years of it took them to make to great RPG that people really like.
It's gonna be a great tech showcase like all Guerilla's games are, but a great game? I'll be genuinely surprised.

Final Fantasy IX is one of the worst Final Fantasies I've played.

The storyline is non-existent the first 25 hours. Those get filled with cringeworthy jokes and pubescent humour. Suddenly, after 25 houirs, the game decides to suddenly remind you that there is actually a story in the game, and it important as hell. Cause with the flip of a switch there's no more jokes, and nothing but dead-serious storyline.

I was utterly surprised when this happened, and for the first few hours after the "real" storyline started, kept trying to figure out if the game was bullshitting me.

Oh, the game is also a complete drag.

I'd rate this just a tad better than Final Fantasy XIII, which I'm playing right now (almost done). I have sworn to complete the game, but man is it testing my patience.

HAVIK136

Neo Member
Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best game in the series. It has the perfect story, has the best boss fights, and all of the hate towards it is completely unfounded and undeserved. It is the most absolute perfect ending to Snake's story while Metal Gear Solid 2 is the worst Metal Gear game in the series, with it's horribly bland protagonist, chaotic and uninteresting story, and bland and lifeless boss fights. MGS2 is easily ranked way below Peacewalker. That being said, even though I see Metal Gear Solid 2 as the worst in the series, it's still a damn great game in general.

ZoharEE

Neo Member
I really don't understand the success behind GTA serie...

Being a dude that goes around stealing cars and randomly shooting people is really something that I actually have to make an effort to consider "funny".

Haganeren

The part about how your character killed an absurdly large number of people is true of just about every action ever made. I'm not sure why Uncharted gets called out for this all the time. I get that it takes a breezier-than-normal attitude toward violence, but so does Raiders of the Lost Ark (which it obviously draws upon), and nobody ever criticizes Indiana Jones for being too flippant about shooting that guy in the market. It's meant to be pulp. Just go with it.

Nathan killed a lot more people than Indiana Jones because of the nature of the game. And sometime he make a "cool" exclamation when killing people. It's hugely disturbing compared to his personnality during cinematic. Even i was quite shocked by that and it's only later i saw on the Internet other people was that way too.

Travis can kill people, Kratos can, of course, kill people, the guys in Madworld can kill people, they have the personalities to do so... But Nathan ? It seems so weird. Like your average cool guy in college being a mass murderer in disguise.

Katana_Empire

Neo Member
Horizon Zero Dawn is gonna be trash, in 10 years Guerrilla hasn't managed to make a great shooter, arguable one of the easiest genres in terms of development, and now they're making a big RPG and it's gonna be great? You're kidding yourself. Look at CD Project Red and how many years of it took them to make to great RPG that people really like.
It's gonna be a great tech showcase like all Guerilla's games are, but a great game? I'll be genuinely surprised.
Guerilla made Killzone 2 one of the best mp games ever created:)

Tenebrous

My controversial opinion for today...

Guerilla made Killzone 2 one of the best mp games ever created:)

u fukin wot m8?

Sorry about that, haha. One of the best MP games ever created... No. Maybe by console standards. I enjoyed my time with KZ2 MP (I think I hit General?), but it's pretty bang average to be honest.

ISOM

Metal Gear Solid is the best in the series. Metal Gear Solid 2 is overrated. I never got the same enjoyment out the 2nd one that I did the first.

Katana_Empire

Neo Member
My controversial opinion for today...

u fukin wot m8?

Sorry about that, haha. One of the best MP games ever created... No. Maybe by console standards. I enjoyed my time with KZ2 MP (I think I hit General?), but it's pretty bang average to be honest.
Yes im talking console standard and no it was not avrage.It has high learning curve great animation,great ttk,amazing physics and slower gamplay than most fps on consoles which i liked.Warzone game mode is also awesome with changing objectives.kz2 is goat:)

Izuna

Banned
Despite not being a very good game, Destiny is the only game on Xbox One where you can actually... meet and talk to people...

So long as you use LFG

chriskun

Persona 4 is not a good game. The battle system is bland, world constricting, dungeons uninspired and relationship building one dimensional. The only reason why people like it is the novel setting and art direction. Also pretty sure there was only one song for the dungeons and encounters. How are you gonna have a 40 hr+ game and have only one tune for each of those.

impact

Banned
Persona 4 is not a good game. The battle system is bland, world constricting, dungeons uninspired and relationship building one dimensional. The only reason why people like it is the novel setting and art direction. Also pretty sure there was only one song for the dungeons and encounters. How are you gonna have a 40 hr+ game and have only one tune for each of those.

Persona is just not a good series

SMT proper mops the floor with it. SMT for adults, Persona for teens/otakus.

Izuna

Banned
I think The Last Of Us was ok.

I thought it was garbage really. Nice graphics, poop gameplay. Dark Sector was more fun.

I've posted this before.

It's one of the only games that are popular that I can't understand why people like it so much.

Saw my roommate play it... He didn't really enjoy it... But he played it over basically anything else because it was popular.

impact

Banned
SMTIV was VERY Persona though. Strange Journey was a lot better (although a little too long for the story to get going half way through).

yea I never played SMT4 because I think the 3DS is a pile of poo, but the demon designs I saw were really bad

Strange Journey is indeed awesome. Awesome GAFer actually sent it to me for free <3 Archie <3

I thought it was garbage really. Nice graphics, poop gameplay. Dark Sector was more fun.

I've posted this before.

It's one of the only games that are popular that I can't understand why people like it so much.

Saw my roommate play it... He didn't really enjoy it... But he played it over basically anything else because it was popular.

Spot on, I'm on the exact same boat.

Really baffled why people hail it as their favorite game of the generation/all time/universe etc

I mean, it's very well made, that's for sure.

The plot is enjoyable, if predictable, but the gameplay is just so boring. Controls are wonky. Idk... To each his own.

Balb

Agreeing with some folks here. I didn't enjoy paying The Last of Us. I was supposed to do a rerun but stopped early on cause I dont find it fun.

Yeah, I got Remastered on PS4 then remembered all those missions where you run around searching for wooden planks and specific, designated spots to lift Ellie over walls and I stopped in my tracks.

I thought it was an okay game but I never understood why people went CRAZY over the story and I thought the gameplay was kind of frustrating.

Melchiah

Spot on, I'm on the exact same boat.

Really baffled why people hail it their favorite game of the generation/all time/universe etc

I mean, it's very well made, that's for sure.

The plot is enjoyable, if predictable, but the gameplay is just so boring. Controls are wonky. Idk... To each his own.

Probably for a similar reason why many people hold Silent Hill 2 in such a high regard. It's about the overall experience, including story and atmosphere, not just gameplay mechanics.

Tenebrous

Ori and the Blind Forest is GOTY 2015, and if you think otherwise, you haven't played it.

Probably for a similar reason why many people hold Silent Hill 2 in such a high regard. It's about the overall experience, including story and atmosphere, not just gameplay mechanics.

For which I still consider it nothing special, although my opinion probably matters less because I didn't make it past 4-5 hours in. Story? Okay. Atmosphere? Good. Gameplay? Meh.

Modern RPGs like the Witcher 3 are too long. There is too much pointless busy-work and activities that seem designed just to stretch out the length of the game.

Too many games just run out of steam before the end because they overstay their welcome.

Tenebrous

Modern RPGs like the Witcher 3 are too long. There is too much pointless busy-work and activities that seem designed just to stretch out the length of the game.

Too many games just run out of steam before the end because they overstay their welcome.

Hardly a new thing. Ultima 7 (Black Gate & Serpent Isle [released in 92/93]) would take you over 100 hours total, and some of the IE games like Baldur's Gate 2 would push 100 hours easily.

Witcher 3 has pretty damn good side content.

Mandelbo

I think you might be thinking of Persona 3 here. Persona 4 has unique songs for every dungeon, and in Golden has different encounter music depending on whether you got a first strike or not. Persona 3 has the same song for each sector of tartarus, but more parts get added to it the further in you go.

I feel this is true for most modern "open world" games, not just RPGs

lOTl

Banned
yea I never played SMT4 because I think the 3DS is a pile of poo, but the demon designs I saw were really bad

Strange Journey is indeed awesome. Awesome GAFer actually sent it to me for free <3 Archie <3

SMT4 is one of the few games I played through multiple times. It's really dumb when someone said it is Persona. The combat takes from mechanics in Persona that in turn took everything from SMT. It's an iteration of SMT and a really good one at that.

Melchiah

Ori and the Blind Forest is GOTY 2015, and if you think otherwise, you haven't played it.

For which I still consider it nothing special, although my opinion probably matters less because I didn't make it past 4-5 hours in. Story? Okay. Atmosphere? Good. Gameplay? Meh.

Bloodborne is GOTY 2015, as far as I'm concerned.

TLOU really picks up a gear after your reach Bill's town, so if you stopped playing around that point I wouldn't call your opinion valid. Its atmosphere, characters, and music made me fall in love with the game, just like it was with SH2. And I guess their effect was even stronger for fans of horror, like me.

Tenebrous

Bloodborne is GOTY 2015, as far as I'm concerned.

TLOU really picks up a gear after your reach Bill's town, so if you stopped playing around that point I wouldn't call your opinion valid. Its atmosphere, characters, and music made me fall in love with the game, just like it was with SH2. And I guess their effect was even stronger for fans of horror, like me.

The shit performance and dull gameplay made me put it aside. It's a title I want to revisit with the remastered edition as soon as I grab a replacement PS4, but I don't give it much hope... I'm just not a fan of "that" kind of game. I absolutely loathed TR2013, but I kinda enjoy Uncharted - It's easy going humour lets it off.

Looking forward to playing Bloodborne eventually. Almost snapped up a PS4/Bloodborne bundle, but decided to wait for black friday/hardware refresh.

impact

Banned

I've played it and Bloodborne shits on Ori

Ori is still really good, but it's more something that would round out the latter half of a GOTY list. Bloodborne expansion coming December just reinforces GOTY status. ez win honestly

Tenebrous

I've played it and Bloodborne shits on Ori

Ori is still really good, but it's more something that would round out the latter half of a GOTY list. Bloodborne expansion coming December just reinforces GOTY status. ez win honestly

Does it have all the shit clipping issues that Dark Souls has? Dark Souls combat is probably one of the weakest parts of the game... The combat is very good, but the rest of it (world building/interconnectivity/music/lore) is better.

Dr. Buni

It is pretty amazing, but so is Splatoon, so I don't know if I would call it my goty.
SMTIV was VERY Persona though. Strange Journey was a lot better (although a little too long for the story to get going half way through).
It was Persona without what makes Persona... Persona (i.e. the lame high school setting and dating sim shenanigans). Also, IV >>> SJ, but SJ was great too.

Top Bottom