• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Melchiah

Serious me:
I think it was more of the hype behind it being something greater than it really is. Voice acting, graphics and direction were top notch but the gameplay just felt like an afterthought that didn't match what the game was setting out to do. I felt like I was controlling Joel's body but didn't connected with the way he was talking. Combined with characters running around aimlessly in stealth sections, the clickers being inconsistent with the rules set(hearing abilities), scripted sequences wherever possible and tedious "puzzles" it really wasn't that great. It's not shit or terrible but severely under delivered as a game an would've been better as a movie. It's not much of a surprise since Naughty Dawgs have this strange obsession with "movie-like quality".

You could say exactly the same about Silent Hill 2, yet it doesn't make it any less of a classic. Although, unlike SH2, TLOU offered a plenty of challenge with the enemy encounters.

I think it could have been infuriating to play, if your companions could have revealed your position. I dunno what you mean about inconsistent rules when it comes to the behavior of Clickers. Apart from certain scripted sequences, they acted the same throughout the game. Unless you're referring to the Stalkers in
the hotel cellar and the sewers
, which behaved differently from the rest of the infected. It most certainly wouldn't have been as good and powerful experience as a movie, as the interactivity creates more tension than being a passive observer.

this has to do more with gaf controversial opinion then general opinion but i think platinum games are bad devs and i have yet to play a game from them that i find is good

just to point out i have only played 3 of there games (Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising and Wonderful 101)

for Bayonetta i will admit that i just sucked at it and didn't have a good experience, i was also playing the PS3 version but i just didn't help but still i don't remember much about it

as for Rising FUCK RISING, it's story is just bad what with it jumping all over the place and half the time i didn't even know what i was doing story wise. as for the game play who's bright idea was it to bind Block/Parry to the same button as light attack, circle was barely used at all why couldn't they have put it there also there is the lack of a proper dodge move. Raiden had the jumping backwards slash but it was shit and with out and good dodge move dealing with those grab fuckers was annoying as hell

i found Wonderful 101 to be the least bad of the 3 i had played BUT why the hell did platinum feel the need to add in so many side scrolling/non fighting system (for the lack of a better word) stuff it just slowed down the pace so much, like i get it punch out is fun but did you really kneed to put in 2 punch themed bosses?
I know this isn't the response you want but... I was like you then I committed myself to getting good... It was like an eye opening experience really.

You could say exactly the same about Silent Hill 2, yet it doesn't make it any less of a classic. Although, unlike SH2, TLOU offered a plenty of challenge with the enemy encounters.

I think it could have been infuriating to play, if your companions could have revealed your position. I dunno what you mean about inconsistent rules when it comes to the behavior of Clickers. Apart from certain scripted sequences, they acted the same throughout the game. Unless you're referring to the Stalkers in
the hotel cellar and the sewers
, which behaved differently from the rest of the infected. It most certainly wouldn't have been as good and powerful experience as a movie, as the interactivity creates more tension than being a passive observer.

Bringing up Silent Hill 2 is pretty pointless.

I understand that it would've been annoying to play had your companions alerted people, but they were so far from the ideal solution that I can't help but think Naughty Dogglets thought "yeah, this is not going to look well". I mean, it's so bad it's basically laughable and where any sense of "immersion" (ugh) is completely lost. You can play as smart as possible with stealth and line your self up with points to dash to, or bottles to throw and stuff while Ellie and any potential partner(s) you have are flailing around, sometimes even walking into them.

The Clicker hear is inconsistent because of the rules about them that were established. They go after sound as have heightened hearing and use echolocation, hence why the click. But that's not what echolocation is. Regardless of where Joel is, the Clickers would still be able to find him because they would be able to "see" where is. This would also fall into how certain types of enemies don't react to being seen either, such as the semi-infected.

Lastly, when I say about the movie thing, I had more fun watching the characters in cutscenes than I did seeing them moving ladders and crates around. I mean, at one point, they even make a joke about it, ONLY for you to have to move Ellie across on a pallet again.

The story/main objective was forgettable. The only reason the characters stood out was because of the voice acting but the game just wasn't a fun game. I'd happily watch it as a movie. Again, I don't think it's a bad game that deserves to be shat on, I just felt it was wrong in so many ways.

Melchiah

Bringing up Silent Hill 2 is pretty pointless.

I understand that it would've been annoying to play had your companions alerted people, but they were so far from the ideal solution that I can't help but think Naughty Dogglets thought "yeah, this is not going to look well". I mean, it's so bad it's basically laughable and where any sense of "immersion" (ugh) is completely lost. You can play as smart as possible with stealth and line your self up with points to dash to, or bottles to throw and stuff while Ellie and any potential partner(s) you have are flailing around, sometimes even walking into them.

The Clicker hear is inconsistent because of the rules about them that were established. They go after sound as have heightened hearing and use echolocation, hence why the click. But that's not what echolocation is. Regardless of where Joel is, the Clickers would still be able to find him because they would be able to "see" where is. This would also fall into how certain types of enemies don't react to being seen either, such as the semi-infected.

Lastly, when I say about the movie thing, I had more fun watching the characters in cutscenes than I did seeing them moving ladders and crates around. I mean, at one point, they even make a joke about it, ONLY for you to have to move Ellie across on a pallet again.

The story/main objective was forgettable. The only reason the characters stood out was because of the voice acting but the game just wasn't a fun game. I'd happily watch it as a movie. Again, I don't think it's a bad game that deserves to be shat on, I just felt it was wrong in so many ways.

Why? It fits how you described TLOU. It's about the overall experience; story, atmosphere, gameplay, characters and music all combined. And what you said about the gameplay being the weakest link, which I don't agree with, fits SH2 as well. I find it amusing, when some people talk about the gameplay being bad, when there are threads here, where people have played TLOU through many times because they enjoy the gameplay, and the challenge it offers at higher difficulty levels, so much.

As for the AI companions. I've completed the game twice, and I never saw them running into the enemy when I was hiding. They might run in circles at times, and move between the hiding places when they shouldn't, but what you described never happened to me.

I'm not sure what you're criticizing about the Clicker behavior. That they don't attack the other infected they hear? They do attack the thugs in Left Behind, but ND couldn't implement such scenarios for the main game for some reason. You certainly can go through many encounters without the Clickers noticing you.

I, and I wager most people who played the game, had more fun playing with the characters, and listening to the dialogue while doing that, than watching them passively. I'd say you're in the minority, when you found more enjoyment in the cutscenes.

The story being forgettable could be said about every game, depending on the person's taste. There's no question about it though, that TLOU has stuck with people longer than games generally do. The characters stood out not only because of the voice acting, but the animation, the chemistry (and how it changed along the way), and how they were written, which is a big part of the story.

Haganeren

I didn't understood what made the Metal Gear Solid 3 so special ? I loved the first one, the second one was really... Strange but i really enjoyed the thematic behind it. (still preferred the first one even if more basic)
I was really waiting for something special of MGS 3 but... nothing really came out. Hated some character like EVA and the overall James Bond fiber didn't blend well with the quite serious survival aspect of the game.

Oh, i didn't said i hated it, the gameplay was really cool. Especially in Subsistence but event with that, they were a lot of case where i didn't understood where i was supposed to be in order to see the guards. Even the last boss, i didn't understood what i was supposed to do in order to see her.... So i put a lot of Claymore everywhere and if i could spot her with some detector i would attack her. It was a little anti climatic...

.... And i preferred the MGS 4 gameplay anyway...So i really really don't understand why so many people say MGS3 is so awesome.
The story wasn't even that interesting since i knew how it would finish since the start.

It's like i completely missed the game, it's very frustrating.

The Assassins Creed series is one of the most boring series I've ever played. Black Flag was pretty cool and II was pretty good, but everything else? So boring.

I started Unity the other day and I just don't think I can play anymore. I've never been so bored playing a game in my life.

I don't know if it's controversial, but I just gave up playing Alan Wake again after giving up on it years ago and I just can't stand it. The combat is unsatisfying, boring almost. Alan is one of the most annoying characters I have played as in recent memory and the writing isn't great. I know it's going for the pulpy horror book vibe, but it just isn't good. I won't be trying again. Thankfully I got it very cheap in a Steam sale. It still looks nice though for its age.

The Assassins Creed series is one of the most boring series I've ever played. Black Flag was pretty cool and II was pretty good, but everything else? So boring.

I started Unity the other day and I just don't think I can play anymore. I've never been so bored playing a game in my life.

I agree 100%

Why? It fits how you described TLOU. It's about the overall experience; story, atmosphere, gameplay, characters and music all combined. And what you said about the gameplay being the weakest link, which I don't agree with, fits SH2 as well. I find it amusing, when some people talk about the gameplay being bad, when there are threads here, where people have played TLOU through many times because they enjoy the gameplay, and the challenge it offers at higher difficulty levels, so much.
1) bringing up SH2 is pointless because we're not talking about SH2. We're talking about TLoU. I'm looking at the game based on it's own merits and what it brings to the table without comparing it to other games. Why bring another game into this? That clearly has different mechanics and gameplay elements?

2) I never said the gameplay was bad. I said 'it felt like an afterthought'(you even highlighted that in my until post). As I said, the gameplay felt like Arabs of having gameplay for the sake of gameplay regardless of what the story was trying say. It felt like 2 separate parts of a form of media thrown into one and not working.

As for the AI companions. I've completed the game twice, and I never saw them running into the enemy when I was hiding. They might run in circles at times, and move between the hiding places when they shouldn't, but what you described never happened to me.
Multiple times I had Ellie and other companions blatantly run around to stay within Joel's vicinity, which often resulted in them being out in the open fully exposed. You can even try this at the beginning of the game where you're in the camp. At the part where you sneak past the patrolling vehicles, you'll see Tess just wandering around behind you. Where do you think that comic (posted on this page) comes from?

I'm not sure what you're criticizing about the Clicker behavior. That they don't attack the other infected they hear? They do attack the thugs in Left Behind, but ND couldn't implement such scenarios for the main game for some reason. You certainly can go through many encounters without the Clickers noticing you.
I never played Left Behind but that doesn't mean my point is invalid then, since I am referring to my experience within the main game. When I criticise their hearing mechanics, it's how they are supposed to work but don't. They are supposed to notice you based on how echolocation works. This would also mean that should e attacking other types of enemies too, but don't. This does also again fall into AI running around and yet not alerting them.

I, and I wager most people who played the game, had more fun playing with the characters, and listening to the dialogue while doing that, than watching them passively. I'd say you're in the minority, when you found more enjoyment in the cutscenes.

The story being forgettable could be said about every game, depending on the person's taste. There's no question about it though, that TLOU has stuck with people longer than games generally do. The characters stood out not only because of the voice acting, but the animation, the chemistry (and how it changed along the way), and how they were written, which is a big part of the story.
1) Well since we're making pointless wagers on everyone who played it, then I'd say most people weren't a fan of it.

2) The main story being about helping Marlow was instantly forgotten and also incredibly pointless when you're running around as a one man army.

3) everything you said about characters, dialogue and chemistry only ever came through in cutscenes....the movie parts.

See also: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eFhRFWSmFGg
( a good non-hyped review of it).

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
- Anita Sarkesian is 100% right about the video game industry.

- "Gamers" are too impulsive and impulsiveness is a sign of immaturity.

- Nostalgia is exploitive (in general, yes, but this applies a million times more to gaming).

NBA 2K and 2K bball games in general have 'EA'd' better than EA once did with their series.

There have barely been any significant gameplay improvements in the last 5 years, yet they happily charge full price.

The devs used to mingle at the Operation Sports forums and earned a lot of respect for being honest and listening to their fans.

But with the downfall of Live/Elite, they gave up. They decided 'minimum effort, maximum profit' could be ridden for as long as they had no competition.

Now, they seem to be catering for young kids. Easily influenced gamers, show a couple of fancy signature celebrations, play some rap music, boast about a story mode written by Spike Lee and now use 3D mouth guards as a marketing tool.

The series has become a joke. And if the terrible servers and all of their VC in game currency wasn't bad enough, the fact that they've released the same game for so many years in a row is a disgrace.

Melchiah

1) bringing up SH2 is pointless because we're not talking about SH2. We're talking about TLoU. I'm looking at the game based on it's own merits and what it brings to the table without comparing it to other games. Why bring another game into this? That clearly has different mechanics and gameplay elements?

2) I never said the gameplay was bad. I said 'it felt like an afterthought'(you even highlighted that in my until post). As I said, the gameplay felt like Arabs of having gameplay for the sake of gameplay regardless of what the story was trying say. It felt like 2 separate parts of a form of media thrown into one and not working.

Multiple times I had Ellie and other companions blatantly run around to stay within Joel's vicinity, which often resulted in them being out in the open fully exposed. You can even try this at the beginning of the game where you're in the camp. At the part where you sneak past the patrolling vehicles, you'll see Tess just wandering around behind you. Where do you think that comic (posted on this page) comes from?

I never played Left Behind but that doesn't mean my point is invalid then, since I am referring to my experience within the main game. When I criticise their hearing mechanics, it's how they are supposed to work but don't. They are supposed to notice you based on how echolocation works. This would also mean that should e attacking other types of enemies too, but don't. This does also again fall into AI running around and yet not alerting them.

1) Well since we're making pointless wagers on everyone who played it, then I'd say most people weren't a fan of it.

2) The main story being about helping Marlow was instantly forgotten and also incredibly pointless when you're running around as a one man army.

3) everything you said about characters, dialogue and chemistry only ever came through in cutscenes....the movie parts.

See also: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eFhRFWSmFGg
( a good non-hyped review of it).

1. It's not unrelated, as it was criticized of the same thing, although its merits weren't ever questioned to this extent.

2. Funnily enough, your view of the game mirrors that of my friend, who played most of the game through on easy; shooting through the encounters. The gameplay is incredibly satisfying and challenging on higher difficulty levels, where you can't rely on guns, and is definitely not in contradiction to the narrative side.

Yeah, the AI companions do stupid things at times, as I mentioned before, but I'd say that more or less applies to every game with supporting AI team. I dunno why this particular game is picked as a representative of the worst. It never bothered me though, nor stripped away the immersion. I'd say Ellie behaved pretty beliavably for the most of the game, by staying in hiding when she was supposed to, and sneaking low behind Joel. She usually started twitching around, when you were hiding side by side behind the same small cover.

I didn't imply your view is invalid for not playing Left Behind, just pointed out what was added there. I think it's a double-edged sword; it might create interesting scenarios, if the Clickers would hear the Runners, but it could also result with less challenging encounters. I think that might have been one of the reasons it wasn't implemented in the game.

1. Based on its reception, I'd say that's inarguably wrong. People are still speaking highly of the game, and its gameplay, over two years after its initial release. Not to mention, that people are still playing the game over and over again. That's pretty odd for a game, that supposedly has a mediocre gameplay, and would work better as a movie. In fact, all this talk about it makes me want to play it through for the third time.

2. You mean Marlene? The duo is heading towards the Firefly headquarters during the course of the game, and it's constantly referred to, but the main story is about Joel and Ellie.

3. The chemistry comes from the dialogue the characters have during the gameplay, when you explore the areas. And how they both change during the seasons. I guess you missed most of those parts, eventhough there are a plenty of them?

There was another exclusive many years ago, that was acclaimed both by the critics and the gamers, and became a huge commercial success, which was also put down by a minority as something not worthy of such a praise. That game was Halo. When a game is being held at such a high regard, it tends to attract the naysayers eventhough its merits can't be denied.

Tenebrous

Here goes...

Pillars of Eternity is as good as, if not better than, Baldur's Gate (1) and Icewind Dale.

- Anita Sarkesian is 100% right about the video game industry.

- "Gamers" are too impulsive and impulsiveness is a sign of immaturity.

- Nostalgia is exploitive (in general, yes, but this applies a million times more to gaming).

First point isn't true for everyone, but it's definitely spot on regarding the majority of people I've encountered.

And yeah, nostalgia can be a tad exploitative.

Puweyxil

Banned
I think Metal Gear is stupid. I hate the lore, the characters, the character's names, the stupid game names like "Ground Zeroes" and "Revengeance", the gameplay, the supposed "humor" the series is known for, everything.

derExperte

Here goes...

Pillars of Eternity is as good as, if not better than, Baldur's Gate (1) and Icewind Dale.

Of course. Okay, don't know about IW but BG1 was always a boring slog with an almost non-existent story, lame characters, weak sidequests and lots of empty screens to 'explore'. It just came out at the exact right time when there was zero competition in the CRPG market. I gotta give it lots of credit for paving the way for some true classics though.

ShamePain

Banned
Nintendo as a hardware company is done, no matter what they come up with for NX it's not gonna be a big or even moderate success, they're not gonna compete with current gen power wise, the 3rd party support is gonna be nonexistent as always and Nin's IPs simply don't have mass appeal anymore and I strongly believe 95% of their user base is males aged 20 and above clinging on to their childhood memories. As for portables the market is steadily contracting, people won't care for dedicated hardware when their phone is smaller, lighter, has 10 times the power, and the games go for free or very cheap.

Nintendo as a hardware company is done, no matter what they come up with for NX it's not gonna be a big or even moderate success, they're not gonna compete with current gen power wise, the 3rd party support is gonna be nonexistent as always and Nin's IPs simply don't have mass appeal anymore and I strongly believe 95% of their user base is males aged 20 and above clinging on to their childhood memories. As for portables the market is steadily contracting, people won't care for dedicated hardware when their phone is smaller, lighter, has 10 times the power, and the games go for free or very cheap.

I think I agree about the portables, but I think the NX is going to signify them changing gears a little bit so we'll see. I mean I don't think it's unreasonable for the following to happen: They come out with a console that's much closer to the norm, which gets the 3rd parties back in the mix, and then you have their Nintendo base as well. I don't think they'll get to even ground with Sony and MS, but a console similar to the PS4 or Xbone that has all the Nintendo stuff on it has a lot of merit.

Venture

Skyrim is one of the best games I've ever played. Now that is a controversial opinion.

I also dislike Skyrim. A huge problem I had with the game is how the enemies scale and level with you. A lot of people championed this when it first came out and still do. Though to me if just feels like a total lack of progress. Everywhere I go it's always the same difficulty. I can't go to a super insane dungeon and be completely underleveled and get my shit knocked in or later in the game go back to and early dungeon and just own. Since the gameplay was so dull all I wanted to do was become completely over leveled and just rule the world but I could never really do that.
That's not how the level scaling worked at all. There were plenty of enemies and areas that I wouldn't even dare approach early in the game. By the end I was so overpowered there was pretty much zero challenge.

NBA 2K and 2K bball games in general have 'EA'd' better than EA once did with their series.

There have barely been any significant gameplay improvements in the last 5 years, yet they happily charge full price.

The devs used to mingle at the Operation Sports forums and earned a lot of respect for being honest and listening to their fans.

But with the downfall of Live/Elite, they gave up. They decided 'minimum effort, maximum profit' could be ridden for as long as they had no competition.

Now, they seem to be catering for young kids. Easily influenced gamers, show a couple of fancy signature celebrations, play some rap music, boast about a story mode written by Spike Lee and now use 3D mouth guards as a marketing tool.

The series has become a joke. And if the terrible servers and all of their VC in game currency wasn't bad enough, the fact that they've released the same game for so many years in a row is a disgrace.

Can't speak to NBA2K but NFL2K did football better than Madden ever has IMO (and NHL2K was just as good as EA's offerings for that matter). NFL2K1 was the most fun I've ever had with a football game, then I tried Madden and was like "why do I feel like I'm controlling Fisher Price toys with stubby arms and legs"?

Madden is a great series and almost always has been. The lame comparisons to NFL 2K5 drive me crazy. Hell, I'd take Madden NFL 2005 over NFL 2K5, let alone all of the subsequent Madden entries.

sjay1994

- I think the legend of zelda is fucking boring and monotonous. Boring world, character design. Combat in the 3D games is just standing around waiting, where as the top down ones are mindless mash A and you win. Just a boring series all around

-I hate GTAV. Its such a bloated mess of game modes and features. It plays like shit, the story missions are filled with fire and forget mechanics. Instead of wasting money on making tennis minigames, maybe they should have focused on making the core mechanics fun.

-I don't hate the ubisoft open world formula, in fact I prefer it over the R* formula of filling the game with useless modes and features, because for the most part, ubisofts open worlds play well.

-I think the last of us story is mediocre, but it plays great. I can't understand why they are making a movie because the game already recycles cliches from zombie movies we have already seen before.

- I think the legend of zelda is fucking boring and monotonous. Boring world, character design. Combat in the 3D games is just standing around waiting, where as the top down ones are mindless mash A and you win. Just a boring series all around

-I hate GTAV. Its such a bloated mess of game modes and features. It plays like shit, the story missions are filled with fire and forget mechanics. Instead of wasting money on making tennis minigames, maybe they should have focused on making the core mechanics fun.

-I don't hate the ubisoft open world formula, in fact I prefer it over the R* formula of filling the game with useless modes and features, because for the most part, ubisofts open worlds play well.

-I think the last of us story is mediocre, but it plays great. I can't understand why they are making a movie because the game already recycles cliches from zombie movies we have already seen before.

I have found my true opposite. If ever you need a nemesis, look me up.

Madden is a great series and almost always has been. The lame comparisons to NFL 2K5 drive me crazy. Hell, I'd take Madden NFL 2005 over NFL 2K5, let alone all of the subsequent Madden entries.

Madden 2005 was better than NFL2K5. NFL2K5 was a buggy mess that had lots of exploits but it turns out people just want a stupid fun game instead of something that more closely approximated NFL football.

sjay1994

Is this really a controversial opinion on GAF, and with the catastrophe of what ubisoft did last year+ the yearly fatigue of AC, the internet in general?

A good chunk of people on GAF do not like ubisoft open world games. IMO, a more controversial opinion would be to say you like AC.

Razzorn34

I haven't played it but The Witcher 3 seems like the point where people have started to get sick of open world games. It's like "thanks for all the content and I had fun, but I really just want to play something else now." That's specifically why I didn't buy it or Far Cry 4. There's so many ways to amass a game library nowadays that I don't want to play one game for 80+ hours. If you're into retro gaming you're even more loathe to spend $60 on one of these games that, as good as they might be, you just don't want to devote the time to.

I got the Legendary edition for $2 at a yard sale still sealed for some reason. There's a ton to do but it's at the expense of the combat not being shit, which doesn't sit well with me. At least in Fallout you can just shoot stuff. To go along with my comment above, Skyrim is also not unique any more. There's open world games out the ass anymore, so it doesn't stand out in any way.

This is where I'm at. I played Witcher 3 for maybe 10 hours at release, then dropped it when Splatoon came out and never went back. It's pretty rare for me to drop a game like that, but I just don't care to go on. I'm really just burnt out on boring open world offerings. It's now one of those games I would probably try and finish if I had absolutely nothing else to play. So... it probably won't get finished any time soon.. if ever.

-ubisoft open world formula, in fact I prefer it over the R* formula of filling the game with useless modes and features, because for the most part, ubisofts open worlds play well.

What?

I'm conflicted as to whether this is even an opinion or not.

I don't see how in any way something like this plays better than GTA and is less bloated...
v9ntibbpygmfd0mnmqkq.png

sjay1994

What?

I'm conflicted as to whether this is even an opinion or not.

I don't see how in any way something like this plays better than GTA and is less bloated...
v9ntibbpygmfd0mnmqkq.png

A majority of that shit on the unity map is collectibles. And as I said "for the most part". Unity is shit.

When I say ubisoft formula, I mean how they repeat mission design for mutliple side missions.

I am referring to something say watch dogs or far cry 4. Those games have good cores. GTA doesn't.

When I say GTA plays like shit I refer to the way it feels. There is so much resistance on the character when you try to move them. The fact you need to mash X to run is obnoxious. The gunplay feels flaccid and unsatisfying. Is there a point to even having melee combat in this game? When the hell is it actually practical? Not to mention it feels like you are flinging a wet turd whenever you try to "fist fight" something. The mission design is filled with mechanics that are introduced in one mission, and immediately forgotten about in the next. Example (closing all the porn tabs in that life invader mission) Was that really necessary? Did that beat add anything fun to the mission? The fact its so on rails, that any deviation form the plan R* had for the mission leads to failure. Oh, you missed the train on the trevor mission, lets set you back a bit. The fact that you can't just restart the mission and instead have to quit it, then go back to the objective on the map is archaic. Not to mention I hate the fact that hitting anything in a car kills all momentum, or causes you to spin out. I just want to get from one place to another in the most convenient way possible. Also, what the fuck is the point of these arbitrary stats? These have no feel of character progression. I notice no difference when my flying meter or driving meter is maxed.

There is so much shit in GTA that feels like its in there for the sake of being there. With ubisoft, there missions are all the same, but at least their things offer you a choice in the way you deal with it. It feels more enjoyable than getting slapped with a fail screen because I missed the fucking train.

When I say it is bloated I mean how much unecessary game modes like tennis, darts, golf, parachuting, flight school, yoga, etc is in there. It serves no other point asides from "look at this content". When its all just mediocre.

The ubisoft problem is they label everything on the map. Basically imagine if GTA placed the location of every stunt jump, space ship part, nuclear waste canister, etc on the map.

sjay1994

Also, here is another controversial opinion if someone trys to tell me "oh, just adjust the settings in GTA".

No.

IMO,what the default control settings are in the box is what the developer inteded the game to be played as. If the default control settings feel like shit, then the way you inteded your game to be played it shit.

Puweyxil

Banned

This hits the nail right on the head. Shit I wish you'd kept going.

Astral Dog

both Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are a mess, bloated, easy, dissapointing, hideous (TP) with a boring soundtrack. TP has one of the worst intros of the series.
on the other hand, ALBW while fun, is a nice diversion but lacks true direction and dedicates itself to copy ALTTP too much while also lacking identity.

New Wii U Zelda needs to do none of those things and try something new with less padding but more meaningful content.

hbkdx12

When I say it is bloated I mean how much unecessary game modes like tennis, darts, golf, parachuting, flight school, yoga, etc is in there. It serves no other point asides from "look at this content". When its all just mediocre.
This is exactly why i lose interest as more and more iterations of GTA are made. At this point, the game expects you to create your own fun. The game creates this fantastic world and sets you loose with no real compelling reason to engage in it other than just because. Some people like this. I personally hate it and can't stand it. Its why i like Ubi's collectathon approach to open world games even though i understand why most don't.

The game points me to things on the map/in the world that eventually have me gradually and naturally become familiar with the world and get rewarded upon doing it. It gives me reasons to scour the map.

GTA doesn't. I'm not saying its bad design but there are without a doubt things, places and events that i'll never witness in GTA V for the simple fact that i don't know that they're there because the game doesn't overtly tell you about it or give you reason to look for it.

I loved when they had the cabbie/police/firetruck/ambulance side missions where you could just jump in any one of those vehicles to activate a string of side quests. I wish they didn't do away with those

Also, here is another controversial opinion if someone trys to tell me "oh, just adjust the settings in GTA".

No.

IMO,what the default control settings are in the box is what the developer inteded the game to be played as. If the default control settings feel like shit, then the way you inteded your game to be played it shit.

I have similar feelings about games where people say things like you're playing it wrong if you're not playing with friends/real people. Mario Kart 8 is my prime example of this.

Greddleok

I haven't played it but The Witcher 3 seems like the point where people have started to get sick of open world games. It's like "thanks for all the content and I had fun, but I really just want to play something else now."

Honestly, I think that's part of the problem. There's too much of it, the pacing sucks because there's too much of it, and god damn, the controls! It handles so bad that it becomes a chore to play for more than 30 minutes.

See that ladder? I just want to climb it. No, I don't want to dance around it like a maypole on a summer's afternoon. Geralt, just...STAND. THE. FUCK. STILL.

Aaron D.

This hits the nail right on the head. Shit I wish you'd kept going.

The funny thing about mobile is that quality of game production has been accelerating over the past few years to a point where GOTY-level material on the platform is now quite normal. Not "mobile" GOTY, but overall GOTY.

I find my personal GOTY Top 10 growing increasingly more crowded with iOS titles with every new year. Everything from quick-shot twitch games like Skiing Yeti Mountain to deeper exclusive RPGs like Galactic Keep. It's getting to the point were legit "real games" are getting cut from my lists in favor of mobile titles. It's quite telling.

Ease of access, low prices & F2P models may have been turning the screws on a shrinking dedicated gaming handheld market for years, but the honest-to-god genuine quality of games on modern mobile are going to be what kills handhelds for good.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Where do you get that Nintendo's IPs lack mass appeal? Are you aware of the ridiculous amiibo sales? Or the fact the 3DS still sells a ton in the US even with a limited release schedule? Or their brand new IP that launched and already became a phenom after it was written off (presumably by people like you)?

WiiU may have been disappointing in terms of sales (but still has some all-time classics in its library) but counting Nintendo out for good has never been a winning proposition.

I have a passion for mindless dungeon crawls (moero chronicles, etrian odyssey, travelers dungeon 2) and love spending 30-45 minutes on them when lying in bed before sleeping.

Super Smash Brothers is one of the worst series ever conceived. It has done nothing but garner more hate and attract the biggest "hive of scum and villainy" our entertainment industry has ever seen. I'll stop there.

Metal Gear Solid is a fine series, but it garnishes way to much special attention.

Double-Fine is one of the worst publishers ever to work in the gaming industry and Tim Schafer is no better

The Grand Theft Auto series is not special.

Neither is the Super Mario series anymore

I am prepared to be screamed at.

GKFinns

Final Fantasy VII marked the downturn of the franchise for me. I hated the Materia system and how it fostered homogeneity amongst your entire party. I miss the days when each character had a unique skill that separated them from the rest. It also began the style over substance movement in the franchise. FFIX is the shining beacon among the post FFVI crowd.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Final Fantasy VII marked the downturn of the franchise for me. I hated the Materia system and how it fostered homogeneity amongst your entire party. I miss the days when each character had a unique skill that separated them from the rest. It also began the style over substance movement in the franchise. FFIX is the shining beacon among the post FFVI crowd.

Customization in that regard has been around for a long while in the FF series - the job systems of 1, 3, 5... Espers in 6 (which was even worse than 7 imo, since you could just have all your characters learn Ultima and spam that to destroy everything in your path).

Tenebrous

While I agree with the bolded...

Customization in that regard has been around for a long while in the FF series - the job systems of 1, 3, 5... Espers in 6 (which was even worse than 7 imo, since you could just have all your characters learn Ultima and spam that to destroy everything in your path).

I have to agree with this.

The only difference between 6 & 7 is that 6 has named abilities as a menu choice (Blitz/Swordtech and whatever else) while 7 has the limit break system. Materia is little different from slotting espers.

6 >= 9 >> 7, but 7 is a good game.

8 marked the start of the downturn.

RootCause

I prefer:
MGS:The Twin Snakes over the original Metal Gear Solid
MGS4 is the second best MGS game behind MGS3
DMC is underrated
Fallout 3 over New Vegas
Minish Cap is better than ALTTP
Skyward Sword is great
Code Veronica is one of the worst RE games ever made
Mega Man x went downhill after x3
Mega Man Zero is the best mega man series

I prefer:
DMC is underrated
Fallout 3 over New Vegas
Skyward Sword is great

I like you RootCause.

Here's one of mine: Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a top 5 FF game. Maybe top 3.

Tenebrous

I prefer:
DMC is underrated
Fallout 3 over New Vegas
Skyward Sword is great

I think I disagree with everything you said (apart from RE because I don't bother with those games).

Well done, haha.

Top Bottom