• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Metroid other M is kinda alright and even mostly fun to play. Fast, fluid, Samus looks brilliant in action, lots of really cool melee and finisher moves add to the combat in ways the Prime series is always lacking in, the 1st person switching works well enough and the environments are all well designed and look amazing (at least by Wii standards), loads of power-ups and secrets to find and there are several great pieces of music that add to the experience. If the game was designed around a more suitable controller than the Wii Remote on its side and the rest of the game was just as high standard I'd have no qualms calling it an excellent game.

But unfortunately the rest of the game doesn't hold up at all. Samus as a protagonist is awful, the story is overall woefully executed despite having some good moments and a decent premise, the authorisation system is an embarrassment, the
Deleter
plot line is completely butchered again despite having potential, the scenes where you move slooooooooowly in an over-the-shoulder camera are really stupid and the scenes where you have to spot something in the environment in first person to progress are even stupider.

A real shame really, I don't think the game is anywhere near the worst ever but I can't blame anyone who loves the series taking the worst parts of this game so badly that they hate it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Metroid other M is kinda alright and even mostly fun to play. Fast, fluid, Samus looks brilliant in action, lots of really cool melee and finisher moves add to the combat in ways the Prime series is always lacking in, the 1st person switching works well enough and the environments are all well designed and look amazing (at least by Wii standards), loads of power-ups and secrets to find and there are several great pieces of music that add to the experience. If the game was designed around a more suitable controller than the Wii Remote on its side and the rest of the game was just as high standard I'd have no qualms calling it an excellent game.

But unfortunately the rest of the game doesn't hold up at all. Samus as a protagonist is awful, the story is overall woefully executed despite having some good moments and a decent premise, the authorisation system is an embarrassment, the
Deleter
plot line is completely butchered again despite having potential, the scenes where you move slooooooooowly in an over-the-shoulder camera are really stupid and the scenes where you have to spot something in the environment in first person to progress are even stupider.

I don't hate Other M the way others do. I agree that the story and Samus were poorly done, but stuff like that generally sits at the back of the bus for me, because I care mostly about the gameplay. I thought Other M was fun to play and being a side scroller it afforded Samus some abilities that wouldn't really be possible in first person. While it's not nearly the best Metroid game, it's still a decent game worth playing.

I love me some 3D Zelda but can't really get into the 2D entries. Beat LBW once but gave up on subsequent runs and have never actually beaten LTTP at all. Even so, Hyrule Warriors is my favourite 'Zelda game' and is one of my overall favourite games.

3D Sonic games give me life. The music, environments and yes, even characters, are great. 2D Sonic still rules though - Mania is fantastic, but that's not an unpopular opinion.

I never could get into Melee and the fanbase really annoys me. Brawl and Smash Wii U are far better entries in my eyes. I even enjoyed Smash Tour after putting hundreds of hours into it (not always willingly!)

Bioshock Infinite remains one of my all time favs even if I've been soured by realising just how poorly the white racists vs. Vox Populi storyline was handled. Gameplay wise, the Vigors really makes the standard Gunplay much more thrilling and the world of Columbia is one of most beautiful I've seen in a game.

I feel like an outsider when it comes to my taste in Fire Emblem games. Out of all the games I've played (all English releases + FE6 and FE12) I greatly enjoy all of them to various degrees. Even more so, I find myself liking the story and characters just as much in the newer titles as I do with the older games so when I see all the criticism Awakening and especially Fates gets I can't really get on board with it. Fuck Waifu culture though, that can fuck off and die for all I care.

Pokémon Diamond and Pearl are my least favourite main series games. The Pokémon, Sinnoh and the characters are mostly unmemorable and I hope the eventual remake spices them up a bit.

Xenoblade X has a great soundtrack when you ignore all the vocal themes. The continent themes in particular are all godly and need more appreciation. Here's hoping XC2 delivers on this front!

I still think 3DO was a decent console. Playing Super Turbo and Samurai Shodown was a much mindblowing experience for me than the overall 1995 PlayStation/Saturn season.

I still think 3DO was a decent console. Playing Super Turbo and Samurai Shodown was a much mindblowing experience for me than the overall 1995 PlayStation/Saturn season.

Both were great games I owned at the time. Unfortunately, outside of a few other titles (Killing Time, Need for Speed, Road Rash), there were very few games worth playing that justified it's price tag.

I had some serious buyers remorse.

parkinho

Deleter

A real shame really, I don't think the game is anywhere near the worst ever but I can't blame anyone who loves the series taking the worst parts of this game so badly that they hate it.

I think Metroid: Other M is a good game. The controls are snappy and responsive, and the combat (though the dodge move can be spammed) is better than any other Metroid game pre Samus Returns. The story is shit but this is the case in 98% of every other game ever released, and in my eyes, it is by far the least important aspect of a videogame.

Playsage

Even though it has a lack of checkpoints, Jak II is best in the J&D series.
This shouldn't be a controversial opinion, but most people prefer to pile on it for the tone shift

Going of some recent threads on GAF, HZD must be a shit game since it only runs at 30fps.

/s
It's funny 'cause there's no big scale open world game that has better graphical fidelity on the PS4 hardware

Permanently A

> GTA, Batman games, Skyrim, Read Dead Redemption, and every Ubisoft open-world games are all boring trash
> All Platinum games really really suck in all the major ways (gameplay, visuals, and music)
> 2B is trash-tier design
> Telltale games are garbage
> Overwatch is ugly
> Dark Souls 2 was the best game of 2014 by far
> 999 has an insultingly stupid story and shite writing. Since story is all it has going for it, it's therefore a worthless game
> Final Fantasy Tactics was the last good Final Fantasy
> Xenoblade Chronicles is a stupid, boring slog
> Nintendo is overrated
> A Link to the Past is the only truly great Zelda game
> Hyrule Warriors is more fun than any Zelda game outside of LttP
> Borderlands 2 is a great game, and it has many funny moments
> The new Tomb Raider games are insulting garbage
> The "lore" in Dark Souls games is not really that interesting at all
> Hideo Kojima is a misogynistic hack

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking 999 is a dumpster fire of a game

Dr.Phibes

> GTA, Batman games, Skyrim, Read Dead Redemption, and every Ubisoft open-world games are all boring trash
> All Platinum games really really suck in all the major ways (gameplay, visuals, and music)
> Overwatch is ugly
> 999 has an insultingly stupid story and shite writing. Since story is all it has going for it, it's therefore a worthless game
> Nintendo is overrated

Suprisingly I kinda agree with everything but the first.

Not every series should last forever, let alone have a game or more every generation. I don't know why people get so hung up on "______ series is DEAD" or "we need a new ______ game" if we don't hear from a franchise in x amount of years. If something new comes along, great. If not? Oh well, it's not like the previous games ceased to exist.

KonradLaw

Far Cry 3's Jason Brody is one of the best protagonists of last gen
Fallout 2 is vastly inferior game compared to the first one
Assassin's Creed: Rogue is heavily underrated
Sierra was better at making adventure games than LucasArts
Max Payne 3's devs had zero clue what made the first two so damn good.
Wing Commander was better series than X-Wing/Tie Fighter
It's a shame we never a follow-up to Dead Space 3

LegendX48

every dragon fight i had in DA:I was better than every dragon fight in Skyrim.
Well considering Skyrim has less than zero actual dragon fights, or dragons for that matter, of course Inquisition would be better.

I still find it funny that a dev that primarily makes fantasy RPGs didn't (seem to) know the difference between a wyvern and a dragon.

Aters

> Overwatch is ugly
> Nintendo is overrated

Think I'll stop here for tonight.

msty.gif

Really thought I was alone in this. Hearing this shite after the glorious, moody, atmospheric, beautiful music of Super Metroid was such a disappointment.

Congrats you just won this thread.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
GTA IV is one of the most overrated games of all time. I actually wouldn't mind but the praises I hear about this game...somehow it just gets to me.

Probably because I was hyped as fuck as I LOVED GTA San Andreas before that.

The first time I played GTA IV I wasn't impressed by it, even the second time I've played it.
GTA V was a damn good breath of fresh air in comparison!

Orb

Not every series should last forever, let alone have a game or more every generation. I don't know why people get so hung up on "______ series is DEAD" or "we need a new ______ game" if we don't hear from a franchise in x amount of years. If something new comes along, great. If not? Oh well, it's not like the previous games ceased to exist.
Okay but some series do die horribly and prematurely ie: Silent Hills

rtcn63

I have a hard time considering games where the actual gameplay (like the moment to moment interaction) isn't the primary focus... games. In context. For example, a visual novel that repeatedly gives you multiple choices at crucial points that it hints will alter the course of the narrative in a significant way, but don't. And/or is unintentionally poorly written.

Honestly, really anything I can watch someone else play and still get 95% of the experience. If seeing them play it doesn't make me want to play it...

Despite fully recognising the fact that it has a tonne of flaws, I cannot help but absolutely adore Final Fantasy 15. I loved all the characters and thought the way they handled the friendship between the group to be one of the most believable I've seen in video gaming, and, though I know I'm in the minority here, I found the combat to be hella fun. If some of the issues with the story were sorted it'd be an incredible game

Bluemongoose

Neo Member
When my friend plays virtual fighter 6 in front of me I think it's crap. I hate the way they move and float when they get hit. I hate the high, medium, low spark indicators that just scream:"I just high, mid, low hit you!" I wouldn't use the game cd as a coaster because my drinks would be ruined!

Keinning

Fallout 2 is vastly inferior game compared to the first one
Max Payne 3's devs had zero clue what made the first two so damn good.

i dont think the first one is that unpopular. its not like you said F4 s better than the first

second one is (specially here) but damn if i dont agree to it

I found Skyrim to be more enjoyable than Breath of The Wild.

I will admit that BoTW is probably the better game, but I just enjoyed my time with Skyrim more than BoTW.

petran79

Banned
When my friend plays virtual fighter 6 in front of me I think it's crap. I hate the way they move and float when they get hit. I hate the high, medium, low spark indicators that just scream:"I just high, mid, low hit you!" I wouldn't use the game cd as a coaster because my drinks would be ruined!

I find Double Dragon more enjoyable than Final Fight.
There,I said it!

bobawesome

Visual Novels are not games even if they have a few paths. Reading a book 1 line at a time is the most frustrating way to absorb that content. I hear The House in Fata Morgana has a great story, but unless someone puts it in book form I'll have nothing to do with it.

Enjoy missing out on an amazing game with beautiful art and a wonderful soundtrack for a dumb reason, I guess.

The development team behind EA's NHL games would probably make the best sports game ever if given even close to the amount of resources that the teams working on FIFA or Madden are. Despite the much more limited budget and the fact the series still runs on Ignite, rather than Frostbite, there's a lot of care and attention that goes into those games, even if they're not always able to keep adding a massive amount of new features.

The last great games Naughty Dog made are the Jax games back when they cared about gameplay and game mechanics. The Last of Us and Uncharted are what happens when game designers confuse maturity and sophistication of the medium with the language and mechanics of cinema and end up making something that has tedious game play at best, or is broken, derivative or borderline unplayable at worst. For what amount to mediocre cover shooters you would think they would at least have fixed the actual shooting by now so that it's actually fun to ,you know.... shoot people. Also if the focus of your game is it's aspirations to cinema and storytelling, for the love of god give us something more elevated than a derivative zombie apocalypse story or a third rate Indiana Jones dude bro epic. This is stuff that Michael Bay would consider derivative and beneath him ffs. Meral Gear games not only tried to tell interesting stories but the gameplay sections of the game were clearly as lovingly crafted as the cutscenes, not afterthoughts that barely changed from instalment to instalment. I will remain forever convinced that the unending critical praise Naughty Dog get for these games is from gamers who also equate sophistication of the medium with increasing use of the mechanics and languages of cinema, people who would hold up the relationship between Ellie and Ethan as a higher water mark for games than the gameplay of say Super Mario Galaxy or the level design of Dark Souls and that though honestly makes me sad for the future of the medium . I don't think that focusing on story and aspiring to the language and mechanics of cinema necessary ruins a game but for the whole thing to justify its existence as a video game In the first place, the gameplay needs to be something more than an afterthought, otherwise why bother making it a game at all.. wouldn't The Last of Us be better as an actual film? That way people could get the story and character arcs without having to play these tedious broken survival horror segments and repetitive cover shooting in between cutscenes.

im_dany

The last great games Naughty Dog made are the Jax games back when they cared about gameplay and game mechanics. The Last of Us and Uncharted are what happens when game designers confuse maturity and sophistication of the medium with the language and mechanics of cinema and end up making something that has tedious game play at best, or is broken, derivative or borderline unplayable at worst. For what amount to mediocre cover shooters you would think they would at least have fixed the actual shooting by now so that it's actually fun to ,you know.... shoot people. Also if the focus of your game is it's aspirations to cinema and storytelling, for the love of god give us something more elevated than a derivative zombie apocalypse story or a third rate Indiana Jones dude bro epic. This is stuff that Michael Bay would consider derivative and beneath him ffs. Meral Gear games not only tried to tell interesting stories but the gameplay sections of the game were clearly as lovingly crafted as the cutscenes, not afterthoughts that barely changed from instalment to instalment. I will remain forever convinced that the unending critical praise Naughty Dog get for these games is from gamers who also equate sophistication of the medium with increasing use of the mechanics and languages of cinema, people who would hold up the relationship between Ellie and Ethan as a higher water mark for games than the gameplay of say Super Mario Galaxy or the level design of Dark Souls and that though honestly makes me sad for the future of the medium . I don't think that focusing on story and aspiring to the language and mechanics of cinema necessary ruins a game but for the whole thing to justify its existence as a video game In the first place, the gameplay needs to be something more than an afterthought, otherwise why bother making it a game at all.. wouldn't The Last of Us be better as an actual film? That way people could get the story and character arcs without having to play these tedious broken survival horror segments and repetitive cover shooting in between cutscenes.

I 100% agree with you on Uncharted but I think TLOU was fine. Not the 11/10 masterpiece some people tend to praise, but surely atleast an 8/10 on my scale.

Still, I find it pretty sad that people is still talking about Horizon but can't find anything more than "its got GOAT graphics!!" after 6 months. Is it fun? Is it enjoyable? Is it coherent between gameplay and level design? There's a reason BOTW will be talked about for years to come and HZD won't. Same as people still talked about SM64 and, until they announced a remake, forgot about the Crash trilogy: because it wasn't fun.

And this is coming from someone that has owned more Playstations than Nintendo consoles.

Maledict

I 100% agree with you on Uncharted but I think TLOU was fine. Not the 11/10 masterpiece some people tend to praise, but surely atleast an 8/10 on my scale.

Still, I find it pretty sad that people is still talking about Horizon but can't find anything more than "its got GOAT graphics!!" after 6 months. Is it fun? Is it enjoyable? Is it coherent between gameplay and level design? There's a reason BOTW will be talked about for years to come and HZD won't. Same as people still talked about SM64 and, until they announced a remake, forgot about the Crash trilogy: because it wasn't fun.

And this is coming from someone that has owned more Playstations than Nintendo consoles.

Many people have praised Horizon for more than it's graphics, in the very thread you're referring too. Horizon does a lot of things superbly as well as graphics.

I haven't played Arkham Knight either, for the same reason. The batmobile/tank sounds tedious and I can't bring myself to play through it.

The notion that you need to solve puzzles using the tank in order to progress in the story makes me die on the inside a little bit every time I remember it for some reason

> Overwatch is ugly
> Nintendo is overrated

You know, I agree with you on some of the things you said, but I am really curious, what are your favorite games/genres? you seem to find something you hate in everything!!
Don't get me wrong. You did win this thread indeed, but I just wanna know

Melchiah

...people who would hold up the relationship between Ellie and Ethan as a higher water mark for games...

Who's Ethan?

EDIT: This guy perhaps? =P
http://thelastofus.wikia.com/wiki/Ethan
Ethan is a minor character and antagonist who appears in The Last of Us. He is a Firefly who is
ordered by Marlene to escort and restrain Joel in the hospital while Ellie is being prepared for surgery to remove her brain. He is voiced and mo-capped by Robin Atkin Downes.

You make some really excellent points that brings to mind some of the comments Naughty Dog people made about the transitions from fantastical games (Crash, Jax) to this more-grounded cinematic approach (Uncharted and the Last of Us), I think you should read up on it. I think you can find some interviews with ND developers talking about the mid-2000 transition. Here is a good place to start.

This is an interview with Gavin on IGN's Unfiltered show about the time he decided to leave the studio, and why they felt the need to do something new.

As I mentioned, I remember reading more than one article about that subject specifically.

wbEMX

- Ocarina of Time is a vastly overrated game. Majora and ALttP are both better.
- Fallout 4 and Final Fantasy 15 are both fantastic, yet flawed games.
- 3D Mario games turned kind of crappy after Mario Galaxy 2. Hopefully Odyssey is the return to form.
- Horizon may be beautiful, but it's not really fun to play.
- The Last of Us, while being a good game, is one of the most overrated games I ever came across, especially after everyone hyped up the game's ending for me.

Same as people still talked about SM64 and, until they announced a remake, forgot about the Crash trilogy: because it wasn't fun.

Dude, what?

Like, ok, you don't like Crash but this is just plain wrong. The original trilogy has a huge fan following and there was a ton of demand for Crash to return because of the love they have. Even the first game, considered by far the most uneven game of the three, sold a shitton on PAL PSN when they rereleased it and it never dropped from the best selling PS1 classics. It sold more and had better legs (and still has) than MGS, FF7 or Resident Evils just to give a few examples.

I have no idea about HZD cause I haven't played it and how it will be remembered but Crash definately never went away from peoples minds.

- The Last of Us, while being a good game, is one of the most overrated games I ever came across, especially after everyone hyped up the game's ending for me.

The thing is I feel like if you hadn't gone in with that expectation it would have been far easier to be in awe of it. I'm in the same boat as you and haven't finished it but could recognise the quality of the game while playing it and how if you went in with no expectation or knowledge it could have been a great unfolding experience.

I didn't even stick it out through the end. For me the pacing was the biggest flaw of the game, it felt like moving through mud at times. I went in expecting one of the defining games of a generation and just lost interest after a number of hours.

I need to revisit it again later – tough when this years games are what they are – but I certainly left disappointed.

> Overwatch is ugly
> Nintendo is overrated

msty.gif

Really thought I was alone in this. Hearing this shite after the glorious, moody, atmospheric, beautiful music of Super Metroid was such a disappointment.

Not a controversial thought.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You know, I agree with you on some of the things you said, but I am really curious, what are your favorite games/genres? you seem to find something you hate in everything!!
Don't get me wrong. You did win this thread indeed, but I just wanna know

Morrigan loves Dark Souls 2, and AFAIK she also likes Bloodborne and I think also Dark Souls 3.

Calling all platinum games weak in the gameplay department, I think that's the first I've ever seen anyone doing it in GAF tho XD

Naughty Dog's games are like cheap fast food. Kind of, sort of fun/tasty while you are consuming them, but on the whole pretty unfulfilling and if you think about what you liked, the seems are immediately apparent.

Resident Evil 6 and Revelations 2 are better games than Uncharted 1-3 and The Last of Us. (haven't played U4 yet)

Edit: Fallout 4 and Final Fantasy XV are both absolute garbage held up by people who have no understanding of good combat design. I admit that F4's gamefeel is pretty ok. The rest is total bollocks from top to bottom.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I agree with you to a smaller extent, I think it piqued at that tho when ND admitted that they thought up setpieces in their head and then said they tried to make a game around it

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Edit: Fallout 4 and Final Fantasy XV are both absolute garbage held up by people who have no understanding of good combat design. I admit that F4's gamefeel is pretty ok. The rest is total bollocks from top to bottom.

Hey, Final Fantasy XV's gameplay is pretty alright too. It's all the other things (except graphics and animation) that suck big time, lol.

Melchiah

Calling all platinum games weak in the gameplay department, I think that's the first I've ever seen anyone doing it in GAF tho XD

I wouldn't call them weak, but based on the demos none of their gameplay is to my taste, and I've tried Bayonetta, Vanguish and Nier: Automata. The difference is, that I don't label them mediocre, trash or unplayable, just because I don't find them enjoyable.

Wamb0wneD

> Overwatch is ugly
> Nintendo is overrated

Yea...no.

Agreed with everything else though. Found Bloodborne's lore more interesting than Dark Souls.

i don't really want an open world pokemon MMO, and that if it did happen it would be bad

That's not really controversial. Most people with sense see that this wouldn't be a good idea. But I mean we had someone recently who said pokemon should do away with random encounters so....Lots of strange folk around.

Top Bottom