• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford: Wii U Aliens Colonial Marines is best looking version

Luigiv

Compared to the Xbox, which came out the same year, certainly.

The power gap between the Xbox and GCN wasn't actually all that large. And even if your blind and disagree with that, remember that the original Xbox was something of a special case, being that it was the only system in the history of videogames specifically designed to never be profitable. Anyone can make a powerhouse if they completely ignore costs.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This is exciting, still weird to hear people praise such features like online and graphics of a Nintendo system after Wii. This is something I can use to though. :)

Some posters on both "sides" need to tread lightly in this thread though.

Yagharek

Dev makes a comment that the Wii U is more capable than PS360: "Well, duh! The other consoles are 7 years old!"

Dev makes a comment that the Wii U is on par or even less capable than PS360: "I knew it! This is Nintendo after all!"

Specifically named president of a company makes a comment about the Wii U: "Who's gonna believe him? lol"

Anonymous sources make comments on the Wii U: "These guys obviously know what they are talking about."

Anonymous sources use funky and amateur language when describing certain technical processes: "Maybe he does not understand English well, despite the above-average sentence structure and use of every other word in the language"

Makes me wonder sometimes...

So true. No need to wonder though. Most times the agenda is transparent.

salpa

Banned
Rebel Strike looks better than anything I ever saw on the Xbox, and, if it was upscaled to HD, would probably look better than most games out today.

FPSs on the Wii U could be great if developers supported using the touchscreen to look and your left hand to move and shoot, like Goldeneye for the 21st century.

Rich!

Rebel Strike looks better than anything I ever saw on the Xbox, and, if it was upscaled to HD, would probably look better than most games out today.

If I owned it, I'd try it out on Dolphin.

I still remember back when the Gamecube came out. Halo was revolutionary, but me and my mates were all absolutely awe-struck by Rogue Leader on the Gamecube. We had never, ever seen anything that close to the movies. It was fucking unreal.

And it still impresses today - you cannot say that about Halo CE's graphics, unfortunately. Gameplay still holds up though.

Emitan

I'd still try it.

then curl up into a miserable mess, crying in anguish before booting up Xenoblade again

ahhhh, bliss.

Did you know that a Rogue Squadron Trilogy game was nearly completed for Wii? Then Lucas Arts canned it as part of their "No good Star Wars games" strategy.

Rich!

Did you know that a Rogue Squadron Trilogy game was nearly completed for Wii? Then Lucas Arts canned it as part of their "No good Star Wars games" strategy.

Yeah, knew about that.

It really shows something about just how incredible that series is when you consider that absolutely none of the Rogue Squadron games are properly emulated yet. Not even RS1 - it's one of only two N64 games that haven't ever been emulated properly (the other is Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, not counting the 64DD games). And the fact that a gamecube launch title is STILL unplayable on Dolphin, whereas I can play through a Wii game like Xenoblade in full v-synced 1080p is mindblowing.

RIP Factor 5.

edit: just remembered, they also made the N64 Indiana Jones game!! Ha. No wonder it doesn't work - it even ran in 60fps 480p on a real N64. An absolute fucking miracle that game was.

goomba

Banned
YO GET THAT SHIT OUTTA HERE! PICK A SIDE, MAN! WHO'S IT GONNA BE?!

WiiU for sure, the motion tracker gimmick has me.

I just mean i dont really care which version has the shiniest textures or the fastest loading times, whats important is the atmosphere and gameplay.

salpa

Banned
Yeah, knew about that.

It really shows something about just how incredible that series is when you consider that absolutely none of the Rogue Squadron games are properly emulated yet. Not even RS1 - it's one of only two N64 games that haven't ever been emulated properly (the other is Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, not counting the 64DD games). And the fact that a gamecube launch title is STILL unplayable on Dolphin, whereas I can play through a Wii game like Xenoblade in full v-synced 1080p is mindblowing.

RIP Factor 5.

I think Factor 5 were the wizards of our time.

Not sure if he was serious, but this guy on another forum I used to frequent also claimed he worked for them. He even leaked code samples every now and then. At the time, I knew next to nothing about programming, so I couldn't possibly determine what it all did.

Skiesofwonder

Yeah I seriously doubt that.

And Riddick (Xbox) looks better then Rebel Strike.

USC-fan

Banned
Dev makes a comment that the Wii U is more capable than PS360: "Well, duh! The other consoles are 7 years old!"

Dev makes a comment that the Wii U is on par or even less capable than PS360: "I knew it! This is Nintendo after all!"

Specifically named president of a company makes a comment about the Wii U: "Who's gonna believe him? lol"

Anonymous sources make comments on the Wii U: "These guys obviously know what they are talking about."

Anonymous sources use funky and amateur language when describing certain technical processes: "Maybe he does not understand English well, despite the above-average sentence structure and use of every other word in the language"

Makes me wonder sometimes...

You are changing the statements. The system is built using 3 core things: ram, CPU and gpu.

We know it has more ram . Gpu is more modern and has to run another screen. This has to be more powerful or you couldn't run ps360 games with another screen.

CPU is the wild card. Cell in the ps3 is a beast. That could make the statement wiiu CPU is less capable of the ps3 CPU. Or course the devs can't go inti details with the nda.

I think you are going to have a ps360(ps2) vs wiiu(Xbox). The only problem is the next Gen systems. It would be Xbox vs Xbox 360.

NBtoaster

The power gap between the Xbox and GCN wasn't actually all that large. And even if your blind and disagree with that, remember that the original Xbox was something of a special case, being that it was the only system in the history of videogames specifically designed to never be profitable. Anyone can make a powerhouse if they completely ignore costs.

What suggests the power gap was small?

I'm not sure I believe that the Xbox was designed to not be profitable, but I suppose it's true that MS was willing to spend alot more.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
More threads to legitimize the WiiU. Sigh...

All that's needed to legitimize the WiiU is Nintendo. It's legitimate and it's going to be awesome simply because it will be home to some of the best exclusives gaming can offer next generation.

I'm an avid nintendo fan, and the Umote looks awesome from my perspective...but saying it's better for a shooter than the Wiimote REALLY makes me question him. I really need to get my hands on that thing, because that actually boggles my mind.

rpmurphy

Of the consoles I don't doubt it considering the past E3 reveal. But the controller being the best for FPS, I am skeptical... hard to top Wii's FPS controls.

JABEE

I'm getting excited for the next generation Wii. If this is really a next generation machine, I'll be very pleased.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Can't believe how desperately people want to believe that the Wii U will be underpowered.
If they are positioning the Wii U to be a next gen console and a mid range PC is kicking the Wii U port up and down the street then I would still consider that to be underpowered. But if they can get it running at 1080p/60fps with high res textures I'll be confident that the console can run with the big boys next gen.

I'm an avid nintendo fan, and the Umote looks awesome from my perspective...but saying it's better for a shooter than the Wiimote REALLY makes me question him. I really need to get my hands on that thing, because that actually boggles my mind.

Maybe they're doing some weird shit with the camera control and/or touchscreen.

I mean after all, the Classic Controller is similar in stick and button layout so being adamant about it being better than all Nintendo's controllers is interesting.

Skiesofwonder

Play RE:Revelations for 3DS with gyro settings and you will believe.

Rich!

More threads to legitimize the WiiU. Sigh...

All that's needed to legitimize the WiiU is Nintendo. It's legitimate and it's going to be awesome simply because it will be home to some of the best exclusives gaming can offer next generation.

Yep. I'll be doing the same as I did this gen - a Nintendo console for the exclusives, and my PC for everything else. I'd rather spend the money a PS4/720 would cost on a new CPU/GPU combo, and enjoy the best possible graphics for years to come.

Entirely depends on the games though. If the other two consoles have INCREDIBLE exclusives, I'll bite - but this gen they just didn't grab me at all. I really couldn't give a shit about the power of a console, just give me great games like the Wii has this gen, and I'll be happy.

Skiesofwonder

Not sure, I liked that scheme but I found the regular scheme more accurate.

Maybe I have to get used to Gyroing.

Well using the analog to aim broadly while using gyro to make small adjustments is the best of both worlds. OOT also makes great use of this.

Rich!

Not sure, I liked that scheme but I found the regular scheme more accurate.

Maybe I have to get used to Gyroing.

I thought it was absolutely incredible. Took a while to get used to, but was accurate as hell once I got the hang of it. Same goes for the Vita's equivalent mode on Uncharted - which is more similar to the Wii U pad's tech, due to the magnetometer.

Based on the Vita, I totally believe Randy. Pulling off headshots in Uncharted Vita using the Gryo motion whilst running using the two analogue sticks was absolute fucking bliss

King_Moc

Banned
Compared to the Xbox, which came out the same year, certainly.

You can always tell when someone has never played Rogue Squadron.

Er, the N64 was the underpowered one compared to the Playstation and the Dreamcast. The Gamecube was actually quite powerful.

Or Perfect Dark. I mean, wtf? The N64 less powerful than the original Playstation? Seriously, go back and actually compare the games.

PS1 had games as good looking as Majora's Mask, did it? Or Conkers Bad Fur Day? They look like they're from a different gen.

Maybe they're doing some weird shit with the camera control and/or touchscreen.

I mean after all, the Classic Controller is similar in stick and button layout so being adamant about it being better than all Nintendo's controllers is interesting.

I'm so hyped for e3 right now. Maybe we will get an onstage demo from them, considering how positive they are about the system and control method.

Play RE:Revelations for 3DS with gyro settings and you will believe.
I did. Wiimote + Nunchuck is better from a gun mechanics perspective since you can emulate holding style, wrist movement, etc outside of just moving the cursor alone. I did like having a combination of analog gyro in the Ocarina Remake though. Felt pretty damn natural, but that is a different type of game I suppose.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Yep. I'll be doing the same as I did this gen - a Nintendo console for the exclusives, and my PC for everything else. I'd rather spend the money a PS4/720 would cost on a new CPU/GPU combo, and enjoy the best possible graphics for years to come.

Entirely depends on the games though. If the other two consoles have INCREDIBLE exclusives, I'll bite - but this gen they just didn't grab me at all. I really couldn't give a shit about the power of a console, just give me great games like the Wii has this gen, and I'll be happy.

Same plan here. I'm rapidly running out of time to play anyhow. :(

I can't give up Valve, Blizzard, and Nintendo though. D:

Luigiv

What suggests the power gap was small?

The games and the specs? Yes the Xbox was more powerful but not by any extreme measure. Both systems definitely fit squarely within the same generational ballpark, along with the PS2 too (and the Gamecube was definitely closer to the Xbox than the PS2). Each system had it's advantages and disadvantages compared to the others.

I'm not sure I believe that the Xbox was designed to not be profitable, but I suppose it's true that MS was willing to spend alot more.

Microsoft's plan with the original Xbox was always to lose money building up the brand and then start making profits with it's successor. The Xbox hardware never once made a positive margin in it's entire 4 year life span.

Rich!

Same plan here. I'm rapidly running out of time to play anyhow. :(

I can't give up Valve, Blizzard, and Nintendo though. D:

Having a PC as your main gaming go-to is totally justified when you end up getting bargains like Arkham City for £5 and Rayman for £9.99.

The amount of money I've saved is ridiculous - the price of building the damn thing has effectively been written off due to the money I've saved on buying games compared to if I'd got a console.

Anyway, considering I have a baby on the way, I may end up not playing on anything other than the Wii-U - if that. Scary thought.

BurntPork

Banned
You are changing the statements. The system is built using 3 core things: ram, CPU and gpu.

We know it has more ram . Gpu is more modern and has to run another screen. This has to be more powerful or you couldn't run ps360 games with another screen.

CPU is the wild card. Cell in the ps3 is a beast. That could make the statement wiiu CPU is less capable of the ps3 CPU. Or course the devs can't go inti details with the nda.

I think you are going to have a ps360(ps2) vs wiiu(Xbox). The only problem is the next Gen systems. It would be Xbox vs Xbox 360.

Two things:

The Cell isn't a standard CPU. Really, there are barely any CPUs that match it's peak computational performance even today. It's peak performance is rated at 230 GFLOPs. The most powerful Core i7 is rated at 65 GFLOPs. As you might imagine, it's just not comparable to normal CPUs. It's a totally different beast.

The other consoles aren't going to be 10x as powerful as Wii U. That's just crazy. There will barely be an Xbox vs. 360 difference between current consoles and the other next-gen systems.

TAS

Wow..that was some serious positive feedback from the developer. It just confirmed what I instictively knew already: WiiU is a next gen system and it's going to kick some serious ass. The sad part is I instictively get the feeling Sony and MS are going to rip off Nintendo's controller interface ideas ONCE AGAIN.

Wow..that was some serious positive feedback from the developer. It just confirmed what I instictively knew already: WiiU is a next gen system and it's going to kick some serious ass. The sad part is I instictively get the feeling Sony and MS are going to rip off Nintendo's controller interface ideas ONCE AGAIN.

If it takes off, I wouldn't be surprised.

Not sure when their systems are coming out though.

Top Bottom