• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day (Suda51, Crispy's) localization announced

Astarte

Well, I'm excited. It looks like a pretty cool pick up and play game, but god damn suda please direct something.

Tizoc

I'm a little confused about something. So the Short Peace features appear to be getting an official English release based on the english trailer.
Would this mean that Short Peace BluRay will also come with the game?

CamHostage

I'm a little confused about something. So the Short Peace features appear to be getting an official English release based on the english trailer.
Would this mean that Short Peace BluRay will also come with the game?

There might be a Blu-Ray also (and it might include the game, as this is how Short Peace is releasing for homes in Japan) but it sounds to me like Short Peace is a PSN exclusive digital release, movie and game.

According to the press release, "NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. today announced that SHORT PEACE and Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day will be coming to the Americas in spring 2014 exclusively for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. "

NotLiquid

Nope, supervisor or some such.

The last game he truly directed was No More Heroes.

If he REALLY did this one(like, really), then I can't wait.

I thought the Tokyo Jungle guy did this, though?

Suda51 is only listed as the producer. You guys can take your balls home now.

Still looks neat.

There might be a Blu-Ray also (and it might include the game, as this is how Short Peace is releasing for homes in Japan) but it sounds to me like Short Peace is a PSN exclusive digital release, movie and game.

According to the press release, "NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. today announced that SHORT PEACE and Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day will be coming to the Americas in spring 2014 exclusively for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. "

There better be a Blu-ray of the movie, or I'll just buy it in Japan in April.

I'm pretty sure he was the producer on Liberation Maiden.

Suda was the Director, Writer and Game Design for Liberation Maiden

but god damn suda please direct something.

Suda will be the Director, Writer and Game Designer for the newly announced game Lily Bergamo

He hasn't been this hands on since No More Heroes 1 and Fatal Frame IV

19vqbe.jpg

2r9qid.jpg

37kpyx.jpg

http://gematsu.com/2013/09/lily-bergamo-protagonist-named-tae-ioroi

zeopower6

Does this mean that Short Peace won't have a physical Blu-Ray release? That's disappointing.

Seems like because they're bringing over the set of movies digitally, we're also getting Ranko.

I think it mainly sold 2,000~ copies because it was a compilation of shorts and people just aren't as interested.

Not sure where the PS3 version fared a few weeks ago but the movie on its own moved about 3,000~ copies.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=736823

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUutRy-zkZk
Seems like they are bundling everything together if this reveal trailer is anything to go by.

The End

are we sure this isn't going to be a BR/PS3 hybrid like uh... Tekken Hybrid?

zeopower6

We don't usually get many of those here (Japan gets them way more often... Macross Frontier's movie(s?), .hack//The Movie, Eureka Seven, etc) so I don't know if they'd want to bring that over...

It seems like a bunch of news outlets also got info saying that Ranko was PSN-only.

Shin-Ra

Namco actually publishes Japanese games for console and generally seems to do a decent job of it. I wonder what's the secret to their success?!

Astarte

Suda was the Director, Writer and Game Design for Liberation Maiden

Suda will be the Director, Writer and Game Designer for the newly announced game Lily Bergamo

He hasn't been this hands on since No More Heroes 1 and Fatal Frame IV

I don't believe. Killer is Dead also got the "hey he's the director" interviews, but look at what happened. I refuse to believe that he's director until his name shows up as such in the game; also he's not credited as the director of Liberation Maiden. I looked through the credits recently and nope, it's someone else.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm really interested in this game, but I've seen people saying that it can be completed in an hour and is way too easy.

CamHostage

As has been said, it's a possibility, but it doesn't sound likely (also, Japan is terrified of reverse-importation, I'm not sure it'd make sense to them to ship in America within the same year as Japan and charge less than the $60 or so this movie costs in Japan?) The BD isn't up on RightStuf or Amazon, but then again, not everything Bandai Namco announced yesterday is up on Amazon just yet.

Actually, I wonder if the Short Peace release on PSN will be the four pieces and the game as we think it will be, or if they might actually sell "Short Peace" as a bundled product. I'm not sure if PSN can release "ISOs" of BDs that would run self-contained (these hybrid discs must also have forked content pockets for video and game material) but they for sure can use PSN's bundling system to require you to purchase all components at once if that's the deal. I'm sure the Japanese licensers would prefer Short Peace be experienced as it was meant to be seen rather than piecemeal. (Although then again, Combustion is touring separate and is in awards contention, so maybe I'm talking out of my ass...)

If they don't go that route, most fans will be happy as they can buy what they want, so hope for that... can't get that menu though. (BTW, why does downloadable video still not have menus, I saw playable menu system demos in the MP4 format like 10 years ago.)

Gbraga

I wish we could get that menu too. Can't they sell the whole thing as it is in the japanese version, only digital?

Actually, I wonder if the Short Peace release on PSN will be the four pieces and the game as we think it will be, or if they might actually sell "Short Peace" as a bundled product. I'm not sure if PSN can release "ISOs" of BDs that would run self-contained (these hybrid discs must also have forked content pockets for video and game material)

Didn't they do that with the Team ICO HD set? Not sure about quality now I think about it.

As far as the SP disc goes, when played on a PS3 the video content is stashed under the video list, with the game in the game list on the XMB.

On a sidenote, I didn't realise that hybrid discs are playable on dedicated blu ray players (ie not a PS3) until someone in the pickups thread asked me to test the theory. It kicks straight into the movie, no problem (mine is a hacked region-free player).

that trailer kinda looks like the film is included with this.

is the whole anthology film included with the game? Because why else would the english trailer show any other parts of the movie?

CamHostage

Didn't they do that with the Team ICO HD set? Not sure about quality now I think about it.

Perhaps, and that is for sure how Square Enix is going to sell FF X/X-2 HD on PSN, if I remember correctly they stated that they don't plan on selling them individually.

Quality has nothing to do with it though, it's just two downloads (or Short Peace could be one full-length movie download for Chapter Stops to each short film... PSN MP4 does allow Chapter Stops, I hope?) sold through a single credit card transaction.

As far as the SP disc goes, when played on a PS3 the video content is stashed under the video list, with the game in the game list on the XMB.

Right, there's a content fork on the disc. A standard player goes to the video folder; the PS3 crawls the content tree and displays content under both media pockets. Pretty cool way to distribute content. Doesn't seem like the BD can reference the game once in Video Mode (the Ranko game is not on ThePeoplesBureau's menu, right?) to cross-boot, but still lots of options in the box. I assume the option to write discs this way might work with other BD players (say Microsoft wanted to put some Halo game on the Halo TV BD; doesn't the Star Wars DVD/Battlefront II demo work that way?) but Sony has always had this multimedia layout as part of its disc format plans, going back to PSP UMDs even if I remember right.

PSN distribution of Short Peace will be done its own way, however.

that trailer kinda looks like the film is included with this. is the whole anthology film included with the game?

Yes, Bandai Namco is distributing the game and the film on PSN. (However, it seems more like the game is included in the film rather than the other way around ... assuming they are bundled, don't expect to pay like $15 for a PSN side-scroller and get a free movie out of the deal.)

Doesn't seem like the BD can reference the game once in Video Mode (the Ranko game is not on ThePeoplesBureau's menu, right?) to cross-boot

Correct. The game has its own menu with no reference to the video section, and the same with the video menu - so it's back to XMB if you want to re-open one or the other.

Curiosity is a strong and powerful force.... I clicked the video not knowing what to expect, and I left wanting a game I'd never heard of before. Well played Suda51.

Top Bottom