• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day (Suda51, Crispy's) localization announced

CamHostage

Same here.
Why did this only sell 2000 copies? The trailer if anything looks great.

Short films don't sell, sadly.

There is also a version of Short Pece on Bluray that does not include the game with it. I'm guessing the sales of it weren't big either, though.

Ah, the 2k copies was for the game-pack version? Makes sense. That went on sale 1/16 (and didn't seem to get much press from what I saw of Japanese talk.) It's still not going to be a blockbuster, but maybe the overall numbers aren't as ugly.

I wish we could get that menu too. Can't they sell the whole thing as it is in the japanese version, only digital?

What is possible and what they will do are two different things, unfortunately. I'm not sure how far a PSN video file can allow them to go (I don't buy movies from PSN so I don't know, but it doesn't allow Menus, right? How about Chapter Stops?) but considering that Tekken Hybrid is not sold as a digital product (TTT HD isn't even sold digitally... actually, neither is TTT2 strangely enough,) it's hard to figure that Namco Bandai would pioneer a new direction with this short film/game set. (To be fair, Tekken Hybrid was a weird release with two game products and a movie whereas this is four movies and a game, so the approach might not apply to the past product, but still...)

The art for Short Peace is out there, BTW, if you want to make your own graphic (a PS3 or PS Vita background, for example.)

https://www.facebook.com/shortpeacemovie/photos_stream
http://shortpeace-game.bngames.net/

Rarity

I'm really interested in this game, but I've seen people saying that it can be completed in an hour and is way too easy.

I've heard the same, so while I'm very interested in this game, I'll wait to see the price point. I'll play it eventually though.

Guys, I own the hybrid BD and the game itself takes about an hour and twenty minutes to complete. About 30 of those minutes are devoted to animation.

Tsukigime's Longest Day is basically a short film/game mix that fits well with the Short Piece package.

If this isn't coming with the movie proper, than it's going to be DL only. Nobody is going to pay full price for half an hour of gameplay.

You can check out my full playthrough here: http://www.twitch.tv/elliotryo/b/495900289

It's short but very cool. I'd love to see them expand it into a bigger game at some point.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I only played 2 stages so far but this game is pretty neat. It's kind of like bit-trip runner with more open stages and better music. :)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Does there seem to be any truth to the "you can beat it in an hour" claims?

well i just finished it, so maybe!

the whole thing was very strange. fun, but strange. i was kind of hoping there would be more platforming stages that really ramped up the challenge, but instead it kind of got boss-heavy toward the end.

the cutscenes were absolutely bonkers though. very funny too.

CamHostage

Weird, Longest Day (and maybe also the Short Piece collection?) seems to be getting a retail release in Europe and Australia.

1391173356-short-peace-pack-ps3-pegi.jpg

Does there seem to be any truth to the "you can beat it in an hour" claims?
well i just finished it, so maybe!

the whole thing was very strange. fun, but strange. i was kind of hoping there would be more platforming stages that really ramped up the challenge, but instead it kind of got boss-heavy toward the end.
Guys, I own the hybrid BD and the game itself takes about an hour and twenty minutes to complete. About 30 of those minutes are devoted to animation....If this isn't coming with the movie proper, than it's going to be DL only. Nobody is going to pay full price for half an hour of gameplay....

It's short but very cool. I'd love to see them expand it into a bigger game at some point.

Japanese Amazon.com reviews for the game (or package) were not favorable (but you two seem to be happier with it overall than Japanese game buyers,) so I'm not sure Namco Bandai's plan here, but hopefully smart pricing is a big component of their plan. It can't just follow the Japanese release method (which already seems not to be the case given the PSN destination, but we don't know pricing or individual availability,) it should be treated as an important but hopefully not premium product.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Do you think you got enough value out of it considering what you paid for it?

Well, I have a 4 other short films on this disc to check out, so I guess it depends if those are any good. :p

It kind of feels like a difficult thing to judge with standard 'value' metrics. I'm not sure how much I'd pay for it on it's own, but alongside everything else it's a decent bit of fun.

For the record, I'm perfectly happy with the whole package. This is a short game/anime hybrid included with a fantastic anime compilation.

I didn't expect anything more than a brief experimental piece.

Don't buy it specifically for the game. Do it because you want Short Peace as a whole.

Takao

Banned
when was this released in Japan?

January 16th of this year.

It didn't chart in either Famitsu's or Media Create's sales charts, so I had to use Dengeki's numbers:

47/- PS3 Short Peace: Tsukigime Ranko no Ichiban Nagai Hi Bandai Namco Games 14/01/16 1,838 1,838

The regular home releases (no game) of Short Peace sold 565 copies on DVD, and another 1,056 on Blu-Ray.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
So, we got the whole thing, including the movie? Nice.

But then again, i remember my country retarded law regarding movie import, which will increase the import cost based on movie direction...Dammit!

dreamfall

Gimme gimme!

Suda, how I heart thee. Stylistically looking brilliant as always, I hope the 2D platforming has great mechanics- keep it tight!

Weird, Longest Day (and maybe also the Short Piece collection?) seems to be getting a retail release in Europe and Australia.

Then I shall support this (probably), as long as it isn't full price. I was fine with Liberation Maiden at 8€ and I'll happily pay a little more for a package.

Tizoc

Japanese Amazon.com reviews for the game (or package) were not favorable (but you two seem to be happier with it overall than Japanese game buyers,) so I'm not sure Namco Bandai's plan here, but hopefully smart pricing is a big component of their plan. It can't just follow the Japanese release method (which already seems not to be the case given the PSN destination, but we don't know pricing or individual availability,) it should be treated as an important but hopefully not premium product.

Niiiiiiiiiice when will the pre-order be up?

Koppai

I'd be there day one probably if it was PS4. Stop developing for PS3 Japan, please.

With love,
America and Europe

Remember Japan was still playing catchup to the HD era. They are just now hitting their stride. Looks cool but only an hour and a half o_O

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Was also one of the misguided few that bought this at launch. Two things to consider before buying this:

1. As others have said, the game is about an hour long, cutscenes included. There's only 10 stages which can be beaten in 2-5 minutes each, with 3 of them being boss fights.

2. The trailers by themselves are a little deceptive. From what they show it seems like a straightforward storytelling experience with great character designs by Kozaki Yusuke, but the animation style changes around quite a bit and gets very very Suda.

Some screenshots for example (mild style spoilers):

The game is definitely not something you should purchase if you have no interest in the films as well. In Japan the retail release was full price msrp at $60-$70, but adjusting for blu-ray film prices in the west I wouldn't pay more than $25-30 for it, or $10-15 if they decide to release the game standalone.

randomkid

Yeah I haven't really watched anime since the 90s and now that I'm checking Wikipedia I had no clue the Akira director had his hand in Roujin Z and Robot Carnival too, that's really cool. Anyways these shorts look great, so I'd be happy to pay $40 for the complete package.

I'm not gonna click those links but if the style is less Fire Emblem/NMH artist and more pre-2005 Suda I'll be happy!

Tizoc

Shopto is having it for 43 Pounds, oof, that BETTER be a place holder price because with how short the game is I'd get this for the same price as a regular BluRay...

takoyaki

How long do the animated shorts run?

68Min.

but be warned, the game itself could be shorter than the Anime if you rush through the game. It took me about 90 Minutes to complete the game. It was a lot of fun, the art-style is incredible, the cut-scenes were whacky and imaginative and I love the ending of the game. But if you buy it mainly for the game, it's pretty expensive.

Top Bottom