• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapper Nelly arrested after rape accusation

Keri

People stated earlier that if he was arrested then there must be evidence. He wasn't charged so that throws that kinda thought out the window.

It's fair to assume there's evidence, given how rare it is for a rape accusations to result in an arrest, but now it sounds like the police may have arrested him, simply as a means of bringing him in to give a statement, which is weird and possibly indicative of racism. A white person may have just been asked to come in voluntarily to give a statement? Although, maybe the police did believe they had solid evidence and the prosecutor has declined to bring charges? It's not that uncommon for prosecutors to decline rape cases, absent very clear evidence (like a video or witness statement), because these cases drag down their conviction rates.

So the girl lied about getting raped? Horrible.

No. There's still no evidence she lied. The only thing that we can know for certain is that, at the very least, the prosecutor has declined to bring charges.

Future

Yeah, the reactions in this thread are embarrassing considering how little we knew at the time the story was posted. Do better next time, GAF.

GAF is like most people. Make judgements minute one with no evidence. It’s amazing justice systems can ever work simply cuz everyone is so goddamn biased and they cannot help it

“I’ve seen Nelly live once. I don’t believe the girl”

“Women rarely come forward. Since she did, it must be true”

“This other random video is proof that nelly is a creep. I believe the girl”

“Girls are all over stars like this. She’s a liar”

That's interesting. Aren't charges usually filed after an arrest after allegations like these?

I'm surprised the videos of the concert didn't have a bigger reaction until now. Sure it was all an act, a performance but he was more or less flirting with the little girl. He should have known better.

That being said I don't believe this means he is anything.

Innocent until proven guilty, not going to armchair jury trial this shit with no facts or any idea of what happened. If he did it fuck him. But until it's proven he has, not much to be said.

Edit: I see comments above about a video. I haven't seen that yet.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Innocent until proven guilty, not going to armchair jury trial this shit with no facts or any idea of what happened. If he did it fuck him. But until it's proven he has, not much to be said.

Edit: I see comments above about a video. I haven't seen that yet.

There's a difference between "innocent until proven guilty" and the garbage people are spouting in this thread.

Between comments about girls on tour buses knowing what they're in for, jokes about Nelly, misconceptions of consent, and now amateur lawyers, this is one of the worst threads in Gaf history.

And once again, innocent until proven guilty is for the law to decide. People can have whatever opinions they want to have, and taking the moral high ground when you literally have no room to stand on is some self entitled shit.

ThornDust

Neo Member
Yeah ok. Not sure I believe the girl

Innocent until proven guilty surely

Famous music star that has girls throwing themselves at him and he has to go and commit rape?

Of course we'll see what happens when more info comes out. But these guys don't need to rape anybody there are plenty of groupies to go around

And people ask why women don't report when they're sexually harassed especially when the harasser's famous. It takes guts to even report a popular person because they know people will believe the famous person more than them.

Rape is about power not sex. Kindly educate yourself.

Was talking to a friend of mine about the videos and I showed it to him. He's a rather open minded guy but he also said this was very off, rather creepy really. He isn't even sure it was an act. Now I don't know about that, because if not.... Jesus.

But even if it was an act, this was flirtatious behavior and just damn wrong. And I honestly find it shocking if truly nobody in that crowd thought "yo wtf man" and that most of them actually cheered this on. And again, surprises me how mild the reaction to this was on the web.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
People stated earlier that if he was arrested then there must be evidence. He wasn't charged so that throws that kinda thought out the window.

People get released with no charges, then get charged later, all of the time.

Surely you know this.

Woman refuses to testify and wishes she had not called 911 because she feels the system will fail her:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article178795156.html

The woman who accused rap star Nelly of raping her in Auburn after a concert is dropping her pursuit of criminal charges, her lawyer says.

Karen Koehler, the woman’s lawyer, issued a statement Friday afternoon saying that her client wanted to stop the investigation and would refuse to testify in King County court.

“She wishes she had not called 911 because she believes the system is going to fail her,” Koehler wrote.

Woman refuses to testify and wishes she had not called 911 because she feels the system will fail her:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article178795156.html

fucking sad

Also, I'll never understand how in the US, the victim is the one with authority over the case. As in, they decide if charges are laid or not. That's not how it should be. In Canada, the prosecutor is the one who lays charges; the victim is a witness. So you don't get instances where someone or some people could pressure the victim in dropping the case.

fucking sad

Also, I'll never understand how in the US, the victim is the one with authority over the case. As in, they decide if charges are laid or not. That's not how it should be. In Canada, the prosecutor is the one who lays charges; the victim is a witness. So you don't get instances where someone or some people could pressure the victim in dropping the case.

My understanding is criminal matters it would be the state or county. But a uncooperative victim puts a nail into the coffin. It's sad that she didn't pursue this,so the system could work

Dude Abides

Banned
fucking sad

It's the same in the US, but as a practical matter prosecutors defer to the alleged victim because if they are uncooperative there isn't much of a case.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
fucking sad

But if the witness doesn't want to testify, in a case that will come down to who the jury believes more... you really have no case.

That's not hard to understand at all.

Barren Mind

So all we know at this point is that he is accused and was arrested. There is nothing yet to suggest it either happened or didn't happen. Am I missing something?

Ducarmel

fucking sad

The state can still pursue charges against Nelly if they belive they have enoguh evidence to go after him without her help. But chances are without her testimony any evidemce they have means nothing and no sane judge in the world would ever force a rape victime to testify or face contempt of court.

Media

I honestly don't blame her. It's take a hell of a lot of strength to go through the system as a rape victim, especially when the rapist is famous.

Not pursuing charges is her right... but IMO she should've. He'll go free now, probably emboldened to repeat his behavior, all the while puffing his chest out about this accusation being bullshit.

Ratrat

The whole process would be harrowing even if she did get justice. Thats why its called a second rape. I cant imagine how much worse it would be when a celebrity is involved.

LQX

Considering what is going on right now in Hollywood how could any lawyer representing her think the odds are against her if? I think it is the total opposite. She would get overwhelming support.

Considering what is going on right now in Hollywood how could any lawyer representing her think the odds are against her if? I think it is the total opposite. She would get overwhelming support.
Nah. Just read this thread. You're still facing an uphill battle as a single unknown accuser vs a celebrity.

DJwest

This is totally messed up. On one hand, if Nelly really raped her, he goes home without punishment as the odds are against her. On the other hand, if Nelly is innocent, his name will remain forever tainted by this case. This is messed up.

Top Bottom