• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare might not be forced to make Kinect games but anything else gets canned

crozier

yeah, you and everybody nobody else.
A Kameo sequel could push me towards buying an X1 (eventually) in addition to the PS4. Hell, if they just greenlight a couple of those games mentioned in the OP they can have my money. Just let Rare do their thing...

Sponge

Banned
Something else that should be added to the OP. There was apparently another KI in development for Xbox 360 back in the day. There's concept art for it on this site.

http://www.eddiesharam.co.uk/ConceptArt.htm

VuyHoZV.jpg

5iE8ee5.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
ITT, I learned: Rare leaks a lot of their prototype ideas out.

The worse thing about it, is that they looked like they wanted to work on a good variety of genres. That's something I loved about games back in the day; companies could all try to bring their own unique twist to a variety of playstyles.

This didn't always work out, but if started innovations that others could refine as time moved on.

Sounds like Chris Seavor should have just been given his own mini-division for XBLA, and made 1 summer of arcade game each year. Would have increased Microsoft's true exclusives, gotten a lot of interesting, varyingly-memorable characters created, and saved Rare's name some, so that there could be more said of them than "hey, they make Kinect games!"

codhand

A Kameo sequel could push me towards buying an X1 (eventually) in addition to the PS4. Hell, if they just greenlight a couple of those games mentioned in the OP they can have my money. Just let Rare do their thing...

im with you on the last part for sure, but around here seems people claim rare isnt rare anymore, lotta people since moved on...

nintendo might not be much better a home, retro prolly isnt forced to make donkey kong either, but .....

I wouldn't mind if someone had a lengthy list handy of where they all exactly have moved to. Detective GAF.

Let me help! Off memory AHEM:

Flippin Pixels: A lot of the handheld team including the team lead Gary Richards, but there's confusion as his Linkedin says he's also at a company called BigBit.

Nyamyam: A few folks including folks from between Diddy Kong Racing, Stair fax Temperatures, Kinect Sports, etc. Working on Tengami along with David Wise for the music!

Grant Kirkhope: Was at Big Huge Games until deaded, he's seemingly semi-freelance (he's I think a main contractor of Spark Unlimited, but he's still doing other stuff thank god).

David Wise: Freelance, now also working on Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze muthu fuckas!

Gory Detail: Formed by Chris Seavor, and good bud Shawn Pile is also on board. Working on Rusty Pup.

Crytek UK: Was Free Radical Design, formed by the shooter team. The leads like David Doak and Steve Ellis flew the coop though. Norgate (composer) is still there.

Zoonami: Formed by Martin Hollis, also Ed Sludden (background artist on Conker) worked there, did all the art on Bonsai Barber! The team seems to be dead but most (sans Hollis) formed Otterly for iOS stuff...

Rhys Lewis: Was a programmer on the original Banjo, now at Retro! :D

Kevin Bayliss: Original designer of DK and Diddy himself! Left in 2005 for surprisingly a music career!

A lot of others are freelance like Mark Betteridge (studio head), and a few other composers (Loveday I think is gone).

Robin Beanland, the Mayless brothers, Craig Duncan are among those still trapped I MEAN still there.

Edit: Forgot about Eurocom, which housed a few folks from both Rare and Free Radical, one Rare person was someone who did the renders for DKR, who then did the multiplayer in Goldeneye Wii.

None of the images or links are loading for me. /:
Are you using FF? Try using Chrome. I was having issues in FF seeing anything on unseen64.

Sounds like Chris Seavor should have just been given his own mini-division for XBLA, and made 1 summer of arcade game each year. Would have increased Microsoft's true exclusives, gotten a lot of interesting, varyingly-memorable characters created, and saved Rare's name some, so that there could be more said of them than "hey, they make Kinect games!"
I don't know if he would have liked that but that sounds amazing to me!

Then, people would be complaining that Nintendo was making Rare make Wii Sports Carnival or whatever. All these games sound good, but would any of them sell as much as all of the Kinect games they've made?

Because you know just how Nintendo would utilize Rare? Look at how they're handling their relationship with Retro studios.

jay

Is Rare even really "Rare" as we used to think off, these days? I was under the impression that the original founders and main persons here now no longer work there.

No, but people have really strong emotional attachments to logos.

Are you using FF? Try using Chrome. I was having issues in FF seeing anything on unseen64.

I don't know if he would have liked that but that sounds amazing to me!

I'm using Chrome and the site doesn't load at all. I'll try IE.

Edit: Nope. :( Could someone upload these somewhere else?

Wow some of these look like great concepts, such a shame I miss the old Rare. Truthfully I enjoyed the last few games, Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Kameo (PD0 and Nuts and Bolts not so much). Still this is what MS does to their first parties, I can't think of a single (correct me if I'm wrong) developer that was happy to be owned by them. Working with them seems to go well, but once your on their in house payroll it seems like things get ugly fast.

Flippin Pixels: A lot of the handheld team including the team lead Gary Richards, but there's confusion as his Linkedin says he's also at a company called BigBit.

Nyamyam: A few folks including folks from between Diddy Kong Racing, Stair fax Temperatures, Kinect Sports, etc. Working on Tengami along with David Wise for the music!

Grant Kirkhope: Was at Big Huge Games until deaded, he's seemingly semi-freelance (he's I think a main contractor of Spark Unlimited, but he's still doing other stuff thank god).

David Wise: Freelance, now also working on Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze muthu fuckas!

Gory Detail: Formed by Chris Seavor, and good bud Shawn Pile is also on board. Working on Rusty Pup.

Crytek UK: Was Free Radical Design, formed by the shooter team. The leads like David Doak and Steve Ellis flew the coop though. Norgate (composer) is still there.

Zoonami: Formed by Martin Hollis, also Ed Sludden (background artist on Conker) worked there, did all the art on Bonsai Barber! The team seems to be dead but most (sans Hollis) formed Otterly for iOS stuff...

Kevin Bayliss: Original designer of DK and Diddy himself! Left in 2005 for surprisingly a music career!

A lot of others are freelance like Mark Betteridge (studio head), and a few other composers (Loveday I think is gone).

Robin Beanland, the Mayless brothers, Craig Duncan are among those still trapped I MEAN still there.
Nice! Yeah, Starfire Studios has Chris Tilston and Mark Edmonds. I think a couple more Rare guys are there as well.

Silky

Banned

Edit: Forgot about Eurocom, which housed a few folks from both Rare and Free Radical, one Rare person was someone who did the renders for DKR, who then did the multiplayer in Goldeneye Wii.

Gregg Mayles (along with his brother Steve, artist at Rare) and Ken Lobb are still involved with Rare/Microsoft. Gregg Mayles is the lead designer for Banjo-Kazooie, and Ken Lobb is obviously known for his work with Killer Instinct.

Crytek UK's current work is on Homefront 2, but they've since worked on the multiplayer for the Crysis series.

Grant Kirkhope did the sweet tunes for the Mickey AM2 reboot game! He also has all of his work on bandcamp available for free.

Mindlog

Savannah was one of various prototypes in development at Rare Ltd. during 2006/2007. As the project remained in prototype stage and was not greenlit, only few elements were set in stone, but it could have been some sort of nature simulator, more than a realistic Viva Pinata.
hippo10.jpg

NO! That sounds fantastic. It's similar to what I wanted from, Afrika. Someone needs to step up with MS's gaming brands. Even Nintendo's online strategy seems more coherent than whatever the fuck is going on at Microsoft. This is part of the reason spinning off the consumer arm amuses me. That's installing ventilation to clear out some smoke instead of putting out the fire. There's no reason for me to believe that the problems with their consumer products aren't also holding back the performance of MS's core competencies.

Rare is my favorite developer of all time. Phil Spencer should be forced to answer questions as to why they canned these titles in relation to his remarks about forcing rare to make Kinect shovel-ware.

To be fair, the Fast and the Furriest looks like the very definition of "Kinect shovel-ware" and that was in prototyping the day they released the Xbox 360.

Sponge

Banned
There was also the interview on NotEnoughShaders with Donnchadh Murphy stating that Rare wanted to make Killer Instinct 3 but Microsoft ultimately pulled the plug.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/08/21/donnchadh-murphy-chats-about-rare/

Are there any Rare games you would like to see as HD remakes on Xbox Live Arcade?

Probably the same game every Rare fan wants to see and that’s KI3 (Killer Instinct 3). We all wanted to make KI3, but Microsoft [was] more interested in broadening their demographic than making another fighting game. So it never got made, I doubt it ever will.

I think the concept art I posted earlier could possibly tie in to this.

Silky

Banned
Quote from Chris Seavor:

If Rare were still with Nintendo today, do you think the company would have still been the same as it was all those years ago?

“Pretty much. Tim and Chris would still be around, Mark B, Simon, loads of other people who subsequently left as well… Even me maybe :) A company isn’t defined by bricks and mortar. It’s a people thing, so yeah , bar a few tweaks it would have been pretty much the same, both the good and the bad."

I think Rare's secretive nature is the key to all of this conspiracy that MS forces the team to make nothing but Kinect games.

Microsoft's exclusive line-up would be killer if Rare actually did something besides Kinect.

Seems like most of the talent has left though, so who knows if they are even capable of making things other than kinect sports.

Sponge

Banned
I wonder if that Nintendo attempt to buy back Rare rumour had any truth to it...

That would be impossible unless Microsoft would be willing to sell the studio. It'd be like Nintendo trying to get Naughty Dog or another competitors studio. It'd be pointless considering so much talent has left. Microsoft won't let go of the IP rights either, so Nintendo's best bet is housing old Rare talent.

Phamit

I dont know, seems like the no kinect games didnt sell so much copys and they made 5 non kinect games.

I can see projects like kameo 2 or perfekt dark gets canned, when the predecessors sold bad.

The kinect sport games seems the first successful games from rare since years, so to get greenlit those games is much easier

Besides that Rivals looks fantastic so far

Sponge

Banned
]The kinect sport games seems the first successful games from rare since years, so to get greenlit those games is much easier

Most of Rare's games didn't work well under Microsoft. I feel like that's because Rare's audience was at it's highest with Nintendo. Even Diddy Kong Racing DS sold decent and that was after the buyout. So in a way, yes the Kinect games sold better than what Rare did before, but it's a shame.

Should mention, if anyone remembers the Banjo successor thingie that Grant and others talked about, they were saying it'd be made using Unity.

Now what console offers that for free? Will someone remind me, perhaps any of you?

Sponge

Banned
Should mention, if anyone remembers the Banjo successor thingie that Grant and others talked about, they were saying it'd be made using Unity.

Now what console offers that for free? Will someone remind me, perhaps any of you?

That doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon from what Grant has said :(

Servbot24

Banned
Wow, Kameo looks really really bad. That character design does not translate to a "realistic" style. Looks like a very serious woman in a very ridiculous Halloween costume.

Yeah. It's embarrassing just to look at it. Glad that one didn't make it through.

LTWheels

In someway I don't blame MS as their non-Kinnect games on the 360 did not sell well enough.

Maybe things would have been different if more people had brought VP and N&Bs.

Hopefully the interview regarding how Rare's head has been turned due to the reaction to KI3 will lead to something.

Also MS's digital studios seem to be more open to creating more risky products. Things like KI, Crimson Dragon and Lococyle would not have been made as retail games.

I think there is a market for something creative by Rare in the $20 range; that was not previously available when these concepts were cancelled. The $60 retail model is not the only viable model anymore.

Memino

Banned
Why not banjo karting rather than nuts and bolts? It's not like there is an overload of mascot karting games...we have sonic racing and mario, would have been a perfect diddy kong racing replacement. Ah I'd rather not think of what could have been, rare is rare only in name for me now.

Epcott

Had some of these came out, I may have bought a 360. Rare seemed to have some variety, a shame whats happened to them :(

You are a legend, thank you!

Tengami looks really cool, didn't know former Rare people were on it.

NotLiquid

They knew it themselves...
iyOPpc7inlIn6.gif

I remember seeing this trailer back the day it was first revealed.

The promise of new moves was one thing, but then, that one moment. That one moment of seeing Banjo take off, running into the distance.

I thought that was actual game play footage, that it'd be how the game would actually move and look like. Those two seconds were the most excited I had ever been. "Banjo was back" I said to myself. I hadn't planned to get a 360 at the time, but this changed everything.

"Buy a 360 or no Banjo", my friend said.

8WJvYfK.gif

Sponge

Banned
I remember seeing this trailer back the day it was first revealed.

The promise of new moves was one thing, but then, that one moment. That one moment of seeing Banjo take off, running into the distance.

I thought that was actual game play footage, that it'd be how the game would actually move and look like. Those two seconds were the most excited I had ever been. "Banjo was back" I said to myself. I hadn't planned to get a 360 at the time, but this changed everything.

"Buy a 360 or no Banjo", my friend said.

8WJvYfK.gif

Man, that trailer still gets me to this day. That was the reason why I picked up a 360. I never would have imagined we would end up with Nuts & Bolts.

Top Bottom