• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare might not be forced to make Kinect games but anything else gets canned

Raven77

Rare is my favorite developer of all time. Phil Spencer should be forced to answer questions as to why they canned these titles in relation to his remarks about forcing rare to make Kinect shovel-ware.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Reading the brief descriptions a lot of them were prototypes.

Studios make tons of prototypes of different games that never get made. A lot of prototypes may only have had a few months work done.
Yep, also this statement seems to apply to present-day Rare and all of those cancellations were pre-Kinect. A bunch of other MS studios prototype projects that don't see the light of day either, so Rare is not some anomaly. And of course, there is the difficult (for some) truth that Rare's Kinect projects are their most successful in years.

Hell, Sony studios prototype projects that don't see the light of day either, so it is not necessarily unique to MS.

maxcriden

If you read the names of the project leaders you will see Chris Seavor who has worked at Rare since Killer Instinct and make Conker's Bad Fur Day what it is today. You will also see Chris Tilston who was the game designer for Killer Instinct and Mark Edmonds who programmed for GoldenEye, PD and PDZ.

Right, but Seavor is gone now, I think. I think he's working Rusty Pup, which looks great. And Tilston it seems is no longer there either.

Firehead

What the hell are the Stamper brothers doing nowadays anyway? You'd think they'd have opened a new studio by now, since they left Rare.
Are they just no longer in game development?

Goddamn, that's one depressing OP.

So many potentially great games too...Ordinary Joe, Kameo 2, Urchin, Savannah and Banjo Karting.

Oh, what could have been...

ZEkpXNs.gif

Sponge

Banned
Thank you so much for this thread. I was trying so hard to explain this to people in the Phil Spencer thread.

People say Rare died with Nintendo, but truth be told Microsoft never let Rare shine.

maxcriden

Do you blame them? Based on this list, it seems like their creativity was squashed so they of course went to look for greener pastures.

Honestly, I think over-bearing publishers refusing to greenlight creative projects are going to continue to push more developers into making their own indie games and crowd-funded games.

Not at all. I agree with you completely.

To be fair, most of those were before Kinect existed.
Yeah true. But we don't know what they are working on now. We know most of these as a lot was leaked in people's portfolios after many people left Rare pre/during Kinect Sports 1. Maybe in a couple of years as people transition jobs we will learn more about what they have been working on since then.

"I don't force anything because if somebody doesn't like it they can quit" isn't really a way of saying you're not forcing things.

And just how is Rare doing in terms of retention?

Barakov

Gold Member
Ugh. I would've liked to play a great majority of those. Kinect needs to die in a fire. This makes me even more bummed to see what Rare has been reduced to.

All - or nearly all - of the games canned in the OP were in development/prototype before Kinect even existed.

It must be incredibly demoralising to have to many projects canned though.

Paskil

Well that sucks. Rare was my favorite N64 developer. I especially like the concept art for Urchin. I couldn't get into the new PD, but the N64 game stands as one of my all time favorite games.

Toad.T

Banned
OP, how could you forget about Banjo And Kazooie? I know it's a kinect based N&B sequel, but it still was canceled. I can't link it, with me being on my phone and all, but I'm sure someone knows what i'm talking about.

All - or nearly all - of the games canned in the OP were in development/prototype before Kinect even existed.
Yeah as I mentioned though we know about them because tons of information leaked when many employees left before/beginning of Kinect. We don't really know what other projects they have been working on the past years thanks to the lack of leaks. Maybe in a couple of years more will get leaked through interviews and portfolios.

akira28

I guess bottom line is we really need to see the Xbone and Microsoft fail if gaming is to survive this next generation.

Logash

I guess bottom line is we really need to see the Xbone and Microsoft fail if gaming is to survive this next generation.

Nah, what we need is for Rare to try and get back on track, even if a lot of their team has left. I think the PR success of KI will be at least enough for them to try and revive one of their old franchises.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
don't be surprised if one or two of those are still in the works for XB1 in some shape or form. We know Rare is working on other stuff and not just Kinect Sports lol

Banjo Karting and Urchin should be the kind of games made for XBLA and Perfect Dark and Kameo are franchises worth salvaging. It's like buried treasure there if they treat it right.

Coolwhip

Banned
Nintendo should just give Chris Seavor and a few of the all star Rare team a truck with money to let them start a new Nintendo exclusive studio.

DO IT NINTENDO!

Us Nintendo fans can use some oldschool Rare excitement again...

Then, people would be complaining that Nintendo was making Rare make Wii Sports Carnival or whatever. All these games sound good, but would any of them sell as much as all of the Kinect games they've made?

Oh please. Nintendo would not have wasted Rare that way. You don't see Nintendo forcing Retro to make "Wii Sports Carnival" do you?

Right, but Seavor is gone now, I think. I think he's working Rusty Pup, which looks great. And Tilston it seems is no longer there either.

Yep, Rusty Pup is heading to Wii U and 3DS, Seavor's well known to have SLAMMED MS in previous interviews, looking at the OP, I'm shocked he didn't leave sooner, his games were the bulk of the chopping block.

I almost wonder if he had this game in mind while at MS and kept it close to his chest, CAUSE YOU KNOW, MS would've shit canned it anyway. REALLY smart idea if so, should've kept one or two of the other IP ideas as well, I highly doubt he got to keep any idea once the team started it and MS got involved in any capacity; you speak it, they own it.

Sponge

Banned
don't be surprised if one or two of those are still in the works for XB1 in some shape or form. We know Rare is working on other stuff and not just Kinect Sports lol

Banjo Karting and Urchin should be the kind of games made for XBLA and Perfect Dark and Kameo are franchises worth salvaging. It's like buried treasure there if they treat it right.

These were before Microsoft restructured Rare (aka to those who don't understand that, fired/layed off tons of people who had been with Rare for years). I'm not getting my hopes up when all Microsoft did was let Rare bleed talent.

It must be incredibly demoralising to have to many projects canned though.

This actually makes me wonder how this compares to other studios. Is it just unique to the Rare/Microsoft relationship, or something a lot of studios go through trying to greenlight/approve their games?

"Rare's first Kinect project was Kinect Sports, released in November 2010. Despite average reviews,[24] the game was a commercial success, selling three million units as of May 2011."

Can you tell me which of the above games were likely to sell 3 million copies on XBox 360? I mean, if we're talking about survival here, we have to talk about dollars and cents.

Now, if you mean survive creatively, whatever, but if studios did what people on this forum wanted, even more of them would be bankrupt.

Gartooth

Rare is my favorite developer of all time. Phil Spencer should be forced to answer questions as to why they canned these titles in relation to his remarks about forcing rare to make Kinect shovel-ware.

I'm in full agreement, Rare was my favorite developer growing up and what MS did to them is sickening.

The studio as it is now is dead, with only a few stragglers from their prime time remaining. Honestly the only way MS could do right by Rare at this point in time is to find external developers that could do justice to the original Rare IPs and have them take up such projects. Whatever members of the original Rare that are left at the studio should oversee the development of new entries in the IP they helped to create as consultants.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Don't forge Banjo X and Conker 2!

I would have bought:
Banjo X
Conker 2
Ordinary Joe
Arc Angel
Kameo 2
Banjo Karting
Urchin
Sabreman Stampede
Banjo-Kaoomie

I would have bought a console just for one of these games:
Banjo X
Conker 2
Banjo Karting
Kameo 2

Or for two of the list above. Microsoft is the devil >.<.

Top Bottom