• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rarest game in your collection?

Vangellis

I have quite a bit of rare stuff but i cant remember all of it most is packed away.

Off the top of my head

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Radiant Silvergun
Guardian Heroes
DC ikagura, actually have a shitload of import DC games. Not sure how rare those are...
All the import saturn capcom fighting games with the cart... Streetfighter vs Xmen etc
2 boxed samba de amigo maracas
Herzog Zwei (mint in box unopened)
About 100+ boxed with manual sega master system games. 3D glasses, trackball controller. Im sure some of that is rare. Like a boxed Phantasy star with manual.
Lunar sega cd

Im sure there is more, one of these days I will open the boxes and revisit it :p

bengraven

Linkzg said:
Uh, is Castlevania SOTN in the original case still rare?

Wish I would have kept mine. Bought it used for $20 from Gamestop in 2000 and had no idea...none...

This is my rarest:

41WuuY4EvuL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

With strat guide.

Sanjay

eXistor said:
Really? I got this not too long ago for €10 and saw it in another store recently for €5 in a bargain bin.

Yeah I got mine's for £7.99, now fetches around £20 on ebay.uk.

Kevtones

Zelda: OoT Limited Edition brand new

shit load of rare PS1/PS2 stuff (including sealed copies of Poy Poy, Einhander and Silent Hill non-gh) - every good Atlus game (a lot of them brand new)

thetrin said:
The print run for MS5 was only 200-300? Interesting. I have an AES copy of MS5.

I was specifically talking about the US/Euro version. As with all Neo Geo games there were many more of the Japanese version made than the US/Euro version.. How many more I'm not really sure. Regardless of which version you have it's something that could be nearly impossible to find in 10 years time, just as Metal Slug 1/2/X are nearly impossible to find these days.

DunpealD

I don't know if they are rare, but here we go:

SNES:
Kuniokun no Dodgeball(great party game with many options including combining special shots, stage changes and so on. I can only recommend it)

Saturn:
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Guardian Heroes(also the JP version)

Dreamcast:
Project Justice

PS:
Master of Monsters(horrible game)

Rival Schools
Evil Zone

PS2:
Glass Rose
Legend of Legaia

Ico(first print)
Xenosaga 2(PAL)

Maybe there are some other titles but these are the only ones which come to my mind right now.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I guess it would be Last Blade 2 on AES, US pressing. Direct from SNK America itself as a matter of fact.

Meanwhile, I find it slightly humorous that if this thread went on for another 500 posts or so with some games coming up as frequently as they have so far (import Saturn games, Lunar PS1 Vic Edition, &c.), this thread would singlehandedly show those games as not being "rare".

bengraven

dog$ said:
I guess it would be Last Blade 2 on AES, US pressing. Direct from SNK America itself as a matter of fact.

Meanwhile, I find it slightly humorous that if this thread went on for another 500 posts or so with some games coming up as frequently as they have so far (import Saturn games, Lunar PS1 Vic Edition, &c.), this thread would singlehandedly show those games as not being "rare".

You're right, we've proven there's a least half of dozen of each game in circulation. Pretty damn common. :lol ;)

Another treasure:

motw.jpg

While there have been many 2D fighters I've enjoyed no game outside of the original Street Fighter 2 has managed to hook me the way Mark of the Wolves did.

Edit: If you look closely in the upper left you can see a garbage bag full of game boy games. Classy.

Wonderdog

Have a copy of MGS3: Subsistence Limited Edition and a sealed MG Saga Vol 1. Coincidentally enough, they're both on eBay now. Haha!

Other games - Suikoden 1-5, Final Fantasy Advent Pieces limited edition bundle, Fatal Frame 1-3 (all US and Japanese versions), and one game that I'm positive is incredibly rare (but also not worth anything).

It's a copy of MacFarlane's Evil Prophecy for PS2 that was never released to the public. The back has a typo on it and Konami recalled all copies of it before it hit store shelves.

larvi

Going by prices on Amazon this appears to be pretty hard to get:

DSCN7895e.JPG

I also have orginal boxed copies of Daggerfall, Ultima V & VI and the Lost Treasure of Infocom and many other PC RPGs.

Here's some goodies for giggles:

zxs_ghouls.jpg

Ghouls & Ghosts.. For the Sinclair ZX Spectrum.. Yeaaah.... Whaaaaat? Is there an ad for Michael Jackson's Moonwalker tucked in there with it? Awesome factor +10.

zxs_goonies.jpg

Goonies. Everyone loves it. Not particularly worth much, but this took a very long time to find.

Mooreberg

Probably Virtua Fighter Remix and Christmas NiGHTS. I think everything else I own are games that were widely available at retail.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
NotMSRP said:
Goonies II > Goonies
Oh, come on...the Goonies shown there isn't even related to Konami's Famicom game(s).

I friggin' loved the DataSoft Goonies. I still have my Commodore 64 version.

Whimsical Phil said:
Oh, come on...the Goonies shown there isn't even related to Konami's Famicom game(s).

I friggin' loved the DataSoft Goonies. I still have my Commodore 64 version.

I've been looking for a complete in box copy of the Commodore 64 version for what seems like ages. I saw one on eBay maybe 5 months or so ago, but it was pretty beat up. :(

Is yours complete or disk only? Where da pix is at!?

Whimsical Phil

The Mighty Schwein said:
I've been looking for a complete in box copy of the Commodore 64 version for what seems like ages. I saw one on eBay maybe 5 months or so ago, but it was pretty beat up. :(

Is yours complete or disk only? Where da pix is at!?
The picture is in storage where the game currently is at the moment. It is complete, though. One of the few legitimate games that I owned for the C64.

I do have a picture of this handy, though. My complete copy of the C64's Transformers: Battle to Save the Earth by Activision. I even got it signed by David Crane at a Classic Gaming Expo a couple years ago.

Signed-TransformersC64.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
What's a good place to find out if a game is rare or not? It's not something I ever think about when buying a game, new or used.

Rayne.S

Banned
Issun23 said:
Here it is, it's practically the whole European press pack for Shadow of the Colossus (sans standalone demo disc, which I have but is not pictured).

30dazrm.jpg

Right, gonna have to pull some strings now :D Thats too good too pass up on !

Whimsical Phil said:
The picture is in storage where the game currently is at the moment. It is complete, though. One of the few legitimate games that I owned for the C64.

I do have a picture of this handy, though. My complete copy of the C64's Transformers: Battle to Save the Earth by Activision. I even got it signed by David Crane at a Classic Gaming Expo a couple years ago.

Signed-TransformersC64.jpg

Well, now thats pretty slick. Complete C64 games are tough find indeed. Whenever you mosey on out to storage you've got to get that Goonies C64 and take a pictures of the box + contents for me. When I eventually do get one I'd like to know that it is actually complete with all the various paperworks and such.

Htown said:
What's a good place to find out if a game is rare or not? It's not something I ever think about when buying a game, new or used.

Ebay. The word rare is tossed around a lot. Many equate high value to being rare, such is not always the case. IE: FF7 for the Playstation isn't even close to being rare, just desirable.

The digitpress rarity guide is also pretty good.

Egg Shen

I wasn't as meticulous with the boxes and articles with the Apple games as I am today, everything is...somewhere...but here are a few from that collection along with a few others. Everything is kind of stored or buried beneath other stuff, but these are a few of the ones that I had time to get to:

deathlord_disks.jpg

ghostbusters.jpg

rocky_horror.jpg

wasteland-1.jpg

The disks are somewhere...

And here's one for the IBM PC:

ultima_9_de.jpg

And a few console titles:

ff3_and_ad.jpg

games_games_games.jpg

Whimsical Phil

The Mighty Schwein said:
Well, now thats pretty slick. Complete C64 games are tough find indeed. Whenever you mosey on out to storage you've got to get that Goonies C64 and take a pictures of the box + contents for me. When I eventually do get one I'd like to know that it is actually complete with all the various paperworks and such.
That's assuming, of course, that I can find it in the piles of boxes in the storage unit. I'll give it the old college try, though. I do seem to remember it coming with some sort of fold-in map (Mad magazine style). That may be a false memory, though.

Speaking of complete C64 games, I also have a complete copy of Kid Niki: Radical Ninja for the Commodore. It's part of my near complete Kid Niki collection (I still need the Apple II version...and the Japanese arcade board if you want to get technical).

KidNikiCollection.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the Japanese Kid Niki games in that picture are fairly hard to come by, too.

Yes the famicom Kid Niki 2/3 are quite hard to find. I managed to get part 2 some time back, but have yet to see part 3 pop up (though I admittedly haven't been looking all that hard). There is also a chance that I don't know the proper japanese name for part 3. My search only hits "Kaiketsu Yanchamaru" or "Kaiketsu Yancha Maru".

Whats the deal with the two Kid Niki NES carts? Is there some sort of label variation there that I am not seeing?

Whimsical Phil

The Mighty Schwein said:
Yes the famicom Kid Niki 2/3 are quite hard to find. I managed to get part 2 some time back, but have yet to see part 3 pop up (though I admittedly haven't been looking all that hard). There is also a chance that I don't know the proper japanese name for part 3. My search only hits "Kaiketsu Yanchamaru" or "Kaiketsu Yancha Maru".

Whats the deal with the two Kid Niki NES carts? Is there some sort of label variation there that I am not seeing?
You've got the proper Japanese game (although I'm not entirely sure if "Yancha Maru" is one word or two), so part three must not be popping up much.

There's a variation in the shell for the two NES games that doesn't show up in the picture. One has the clips on the end and the other doesn't.

More Sinclair ZX Spectrum picks:

zxs_choice1.jpg

The ZX Spectrum is like the Commodore in the sense that it is very surprising in what was ported to the system. Thats why I like it so.

Whimsical Phil said:
There's a variation in the shell for the two NES games that doesn't show up in the picture. One has the clips on the end and the other doesn't.

Stupid me, should have realized that. What makes it worse is I probably have both the 3 screw and 5 screw versions. :lol

GreekWolf

Lunar and Popful Mail (still in mint condition with cases/manuals) for the Sega CD.

Last year, I swear that I saw a shrinkwrapped Custer's Revenge at the local flea market. :lol

Panzer Dragoon Saga For Sega Saturn i bought at Kmart back in the late 90's.. its never been opened, still has the plastic wrap on the case. I remember the day i bought it, i went there in so much excitment to get Tomb Raider For Saturn as i just bought a saturn a week before.. man when i got home. that Tomb Raider for Saturn blew my mind.

Im a huge Panzer Dragoon Series Fan, by the way

KID NIKI COLLECTION TOTALLY WINS THIS THREAD.

Alex Anderson said:
To be fair, the thread title is "Rarest game in your collection?" not "Which EXTREMELY rare games do you own?" It's asking people to participate regardless of whether or not they own some unreleased game numbering in the tens or happened to work for Ziff Davis in 1998.
Yeah, but if ICO is seriously the rarest game in someone's collection then they must only buy mega-hits. That game sold hundreds of thousands of copies. That goes for a lot of stuff in this thread. These people must own something that sold less than 100k. I know everyone must still own a copy of, like, Eggs of Steel or some other weirdo, bomba turd they got for Christmas as a kid.

dog$ said:
I'm thankful none of my Ketsui owning friends have posted here. I was worried they'd expose me as a sham.

Belgand said:
Any ideas on the relative uncommonness of Boktai? I mean, I'm not a collector, I bought it used (and sadly without the manual) and I don't intend to ever sell it (or, for that matter, any of my other games), but I would suspect that it probably didn't sell in large quantities and since it's not really something you can easily emulate owing to the unique hardware I could see the demand growing over time.
There's actually a patch or dump of the game that uses button presses to adjust the sun sensor. I've always wanted to try it cuz Boktai seemed neat and, y'know, leaving the house sucks.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
wasteland-1.jpg

it's so beautiful - what a game. I have my copy in storage in the UK (C64 version).

I hope that Fallout 3 really nails the Wasteland feeling (plus i want to scream through LA style places initially running from , but later totally owning Slicerdicers!)

Magnus

Final Fantasy III SNES, Marvel vs Capcom 2 PS2, MGS3 Sub LE PS2 -- had several other SNES carts like CT, SoE, SoM, FFII and others that I sold last year.

Xabora

No pics atm:

FF7 PC
Lunar Silver Story: Complete
Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager
Red Baron PC [With Floppys]
Magic Candle III

FF III SNES - Not at my location... not really sure where its at currently. o_O

Few others, need to root around a bit.

From my collection, I'd say Donkey Kong Country, GoldenEye, and Banjo-Kazooie are all rare games.

In all seriousness, the only game I have that might apply to this thread is Chrono Trigger in its original box.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This thread reminds me that I need to take new pics of my collection (too bad it's split between the US and Japan).

Here is another pic of the sets I have (for the rest of my rares, check out posts on page 4):

mgsvenus.jpg

iidesuyo said:

The Neo Geo CD version of Last Blade? Eeewwww

I'll stick to my AES version, thanks.

Rydias

Dunno if any of this is rare. Other than a few Tengen games, and just general collectibles, not sure really of what is and isn't collectible.

SD533545.jpg

SD533546.jpg

SD533547.jpg

Squaresoft Summer of Adventure bag and the three music sample CDs that came with preordering/buying the games. FFVII Soundtrack in the Amano art set. CT in SNES, PSX, Super Famicom, Player's Guide, and Japanese Soundtrack forms. Dragon Warrior IV cart, III complete, VII complete. Lunar 1 & 2 on PS, Dragon's Lair 1 & 2 for CD-i, and FFVI and Bahamut Lagoon complete for Super Famicom, and FF1 complete for Famicom.

me said:
To be fair, the thread title is "Rarest game in your collection?" not "Which EXTREMELY rare games do you own?" It's asking people to participate regardless of whether or not they own some unreleased game numbering in the tens or happened to work for Ziff Davis in 1998.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Yeah, but if ICO is seriously the rarest game in someone's collection then they must only buy mega-hits. That game sold hundreds of thousands of copies. That goes for a lot of stuff in this thread. These people must own something that sold less than 100k. I know everyone must still own a copy of, like, Eggs of Steel or some other weirdo, bomba turd they got for Christmas as a kid.

I was replying to DCharlie's implication that only extremely rare games have a valid place in the thread, not the actual responses from people to the thread title's question. And I agree some are posting some pretty ridiculous stuff, like "black label" versions of games, when these games had to sell hundreds of thousands of copies in order to get a Greatest Hits type release.

I hope it's just people not knowing what the word "rare" means. My first thought when I saw the thread was, "There will be about 80 posts telling dummies that valuable does not automatically equal rare."

Top Bottom