• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rarest game in your collection?

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Are the Japanese versions of Mars Matrix and Project Justice for the DC considered rare? What about Stupid Invaders?

I also have a two-disc version of "Evil Twin" for Dreamcast that I was given to use to write a preview of the game... although I don't think anyone in the world is even mildly interested in it.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
dark_chris said:
I just got this awhile ago.
I can't believe I am the only one who has this
This is the original 1997 version of Dragonball GT: Final Bout. Came out much before Dragonball came to the US

pic of the disc

That's because it had been reissued since then. It can be bought new for about 30 bucks or so.

marwan

Banned
carlosp said:
Big US Boxes version of this ps1 game:

rotk4.jpg

good thing you mention that, i still have my copy of WipeOut and Konami's Track and Field from the old soft box. I'm at work, so i'll post pictures once i get back home from the office.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
dark_chris, I don't even consider that rare. I have two complete/mint copies of the original and yea it was worth a lot of money before, but I don't care about it much now... I actually regret not selling it when it was commanding high prices lol.

dark_chris

MarkMan said:
dark_chris, I don't even consider that rare. I have two complete/mint copies of the original and yea it was worth a lot of money before, but I don't care about it much now... I actually regret not selling it when it was commanding high prices lol.

Yea I just noticed when i saw it on Amazon for $30 for the original.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
maybe it's the internet making the world a smaller place, or maybe it's just plain differences of definition of rarity, but i'm not sure a lot of games listed are legitimately rare.

Some might be expensive, but only things like the Elemental Gearbolt case strike me as legitimately rare.

I wonder if there is a real listing out there based on number of copies produced?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DCharlie said:
maybe it's the internet making the world a smaller place, or maybe it's just plain differences of definition of rarity, but i'm not sure a lot of games listed are legitimately rare.

Some might be expensive, but only things like the Elemental Gearbolt case strike me as legitimately rare.

I wonder if there is a real listing out there based on number of copies produced?

Many people are confusing niche and rare.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The Mighty Schwein said:
I think I've posted this picture around these parts before but here it goes again:

metalslugessentials.jpg

Those really aren't all that rare though, at least not when it comes to US/Euro Neo Geo games. I guess it's a bit ironic when I think the least rare Neo Geo games there are Metal Slug 4 and Metal Slug 5, both of which had a print run totaling 200-300. :lol As a well known console with officially released games the Neo Geo sort of kind of does a hell of a good job redefining the term "rare".

The print run for MS5 was only 200-300? Interesting. I have an AES copy of MS5.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
DCharlie said:

Obviously, there are a lot of games in here that were produced in the hundreds of thousands, so you're right IFF those games sold well at the same time.

Quite some games in here were mass-produced, but didn't sell. There are rarities among those because many produced copies were thrown away at some point.

Some of those oddly rare games are very well-known, so one might not suspect rarity. Such an example would be KoF 98.

To find out whether or not a game is legitimately rare, you have to know how many people bought it. That you might find difficult for games from before 2000.

I only know of trade price listing sites, which do not necessarily indicate rarity, only demand.

thetrin

wmat said:
Obviously, there are a lot of games in here that were produced in the hundreds of thousands, so you're right IFF those games sold well at the same time.

Quite some games in here were mass-produced, but didn't sell. There are rarities among those because many produced copies were thrown away at some point.

Some of those oddly rare games are very well-known, so one might not suspect rarity. Such an example would be KoF 98.

To find out whether or not a game is legitimately rare, you have to know how many people bought it. That you might find difficult for games from before 2000.

I only know of trade price listing sites, which do not necessarily indicate rarity, only demand.

It's largely reserved only for Neo Geo titles, but there are working lists for games that list their rarity based on both quantity in existence, and demand.

The most rare game I can think of is a US version of Kizuna Encounter for Neo Geo AES. There are apparently only 6 known copies in existence, and those who find and prove the existence of any additional copies are awarded $300 just as a finder's fee.

eXistor

Sanjay said:
422a_1.JPG

So far the price has increased around two and a half it's original. In another ten years I shall be rich.

Really? I got this not too long ago for €10 and saw it in another store recently for €5 in a bargain bin.

DCharlie said:
And even that doesn't seem all that exciting to me. The game itself is exactly the same as the retail release, isn't it? I wanna see some rare games, not common games with rare junk in a box!

I have some arcade stuff that could probably be considered rare depending on the criteria. I have a US Solomon's Key PCB, which I have never seen for sale anywhere in the 10 years I've owned it, and believe me I've been looking! I'm the one who dumped the ROMs, even. It's kinda funny actually, the Tecmo Classic Arcade compilation for Xbox uses the Japanese ROMs and came out before I did the dump -- I'm guessing that even Tecmo themselves didn't have the code for the US version around anymore. I'm not even sure if it got a proper US arcade release, or if it was just some sort of prototype situation. The Japanese PCBs are more common but still only come up a couple times a year on Yahoo and sell for $6-700. (In case you're wondering, there's really no difference other than the title screen, which is actually uglier in the US version! :)

Some other semi-rare PCBs I own include games like Libble Rabble, Outfoxies, Cowbows of Moo Mesa, Technic Beat, Eco Fighters (US/Blue.. used to sell for a mint until people MAME'd it and realized they didn't really like it that much!), Megaman the Power Battle, Tenkomori Shooting, etc. Like most things listed in this thread, none of these are super-duper rare, but they'd require some pretty annoying amounts of searching and money to track down. Unlike stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga, which is on eBay 24/7/365 if you happen to want to pony up the cash for it.

I've owned a lot of rare dedicated cabinets as well, but in recent years I've been trying to concentrate more on games I actually like to play. Having something the size of a fridge sitting there just because it's "rare" gets old when you realize you never really want to play it (see: Williams Turkey Shoot), and the same goes for owning games in inferior/weird formats just because of their rarity (Joust/Tempest cocktails, etc). I do own a Pop'n Music 14 (Fever), though, which could be considered rare in the US -- I think there are 10 cabinets in the entire US, last I checked. And about a million in Japan. But hey, try getting one shipped over here. It's not fun!

Last year I found a stash of very old arcade games that included the second-known-to-exist game "Hi-Way" by Atari, and the only-known-to-exist (really) "Pursuit," also by Atari, which had only been seen in promotional flyers beforehand. I passed them along to a friend of mine who runs an arcade museum and aspires to own (and include in the exhibit) every Atari game. If it ever comes your way be sure to check it out, he has some really awesome pieces in the lineup.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Rarest games I currently have in my collection (back home!) are probably Rakugaki Showtime for the PS1 (is this even valuable now that it's on PSN?) and Final Fight Revenge for the Saturn.

I've sold a lot of the rarer stuff I've owned over the years, including stuff like Kizuna Encounter and Waku Waku 7 for the Neo-Geo and Panorama Cotton for the Mega Drive.

You're not talking "rare" unless you're talking about incredibly hard-to-find games for older platforms, like the orange stripe/Euro versions of certain Neo games. Anything from the last gen? Pfffft.

Amarox

The Mac version of Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire. I assume it's quite rare since the PC version fetches $200 on eBay.

DCharlie said:

To be fair, the thread title is "Rarest game in your collection?" not "Which EXTREMELY rare games do you own?" It's asking people to participate regardless of whether or not they own some unreleased game numbering in the tens or happened to work for Ziff Davis in 1998.

LiK

these are what i thought of at the top of my head:

suikoden 1 and 2
ring of red
ogre battle, tactics ogre, ogre battle 64
all black label squaresoft games, hehe

ghibli99

Hmm... I still have my original Apple //e copies of Bard's Tale, Wasteland, Dragon Wars, Autoduel, Archon II Adept, and Adventure Construction Set. Pretty sure I have Way Out, too, one of the coolest FP 3D maze games of its time. I'd post pictures, but they're in a box at my parents' house in a different state.

Fox

Banned
uhm, i've a lot of interesting items for this topic.

1213742449839114.jpg

1213743439084784.jpg

1211795946916876.jpg

1213637859738905.jpg

1203856183418839.jpg

sorry but steel battalion is in the basement, lack of space in my room : (

Bootaaay said:
Megadrive games;

SP_A0325.jpg

SP_A0326.jpg

SP_A0332.jpg

SP_A0336.jpg

SP_A0337.jpg

SP_A0303.jpg

Panzer Dragoon saturn collection;

SP_A0204.jpg

Saturn rarities;

SP_A0202.jpg

SP_A0196.jpg

SP_A0197.jpg

SP_A0198.jpg

SP_A0199.jpg

SP_A0200.jpg

SP_A0201.jpg

Shining Force III collection;

SP_A0205.jpg

SP_A0206.jpg

SP_A0207.jpg

Snatcher PAL;

SP_A0292.jpg

SHMUPS collection;

SP_A0191.jpg

SP_A0192.jpg

SP_A0193.jpg

SP_A0194.jpg

SP_A0195.jpg

SP_A0208.jpg

We have got be be brothers separated at birth, I think I own 90% of what you posted above. <thumbs up>

Belgand

Any ideas on the relative uncommonness of Boktai? I mean, I'm not a collector, I bought it used (and sadly without the manual) and I don't intend to ever sell it (or, for that matter, any of my other games), but I would suspect that it probably didn't sell in large quantities and since it's not really something you can easily emulate owing to the unique hardware I could see the demand growing over time.

Fun game though aside from the fact that apparently sitting directly under the sun at noon in the middle of July wasn't enough to get the light sensor to full even after calibrating it in complete darkness in a windowless closet at night. Plus, well, when you're in enough light to be able to get a good reading you have terrible glare on the screen so you can't see what's going on.

I have a number of the games listed here but here are two of mine that were the most challenging to get my hands on.

Konami's Firefighter F.D. 18 - PS2

Atlus' Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - PS2

Lunar 1 and 2 on the PSOne were tough to find as well.

Ravidrath

Mine would be Rakugaki Showtime, Cubivore, Alien Soldier, Yuyu Hakusho and Dracula X.

Shame I don't really care about rarity any more... I should probably offload some or all of these.

Issun23

Issun23 said:
The Shadow of the Colossus white box went on sale in Japan at the time of release. It's just the game, a necklace and a shirt tucked away in a big carton box. But there's only 1000 of them so it is kind of special too. Oh and it came in a Shadow of the Colossus themed bag and with a video disc.

Top Bottom