• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

MRORANGE

I'm thinking of trying to build something fun for my bonus 4 year old son, using the raspberry pi 3 that I have doing nothing at the moment. Thinking of either creating a table with a built in screen / controllers so that he can play games, or something else fun that allows him to watch cartoons or play somehow. I was therefore looking at some screens, and I see that there's an official raspberry pi 7" screen. I have a hard time trying to build a mental image of the size, and wonder if it won't be a tad on the small side?

And just out of curiosity, do you know any cool projects made with it? :)

Reddit is a good place to look, also check OP:

So I was scraping in emulation station.. Not only does it take an eternity, but there are enough errors that it makes the automatic process pointless unless you want mystery roms.

This wouldn't be much of a problem but for two things:

- After scrape, actual rom name is not shown, in favor of the name of whatever it thinks the game is

- You can't move forward or backward during a scrape.. So you can't just scrape separately a few that you doubt to be correct, and you can't just have it scrape for perfect matches or matches within 90 percent certainty, then do the rest manually or skip roms that don't seem to match.

Is it possible to scrape from PC before even putting roms onto pi? And if so, does that mean scraped info is stored with roms in rom folders?

Koren

Is it possible to scrape from PC before even putting roms onto pi? And if so, does that mean scraped info is stored with roms in rom folders?
Just looked at emulation station website, data is apparently stored into an XML files (waiting for an update that will use a SQLite database).

All details about the XML files (locations and structure) there:
https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStation/blob/master/GAMELISTS.md

Yes, you can do a scraping pass on a PC, and transfer it to the raspi (at any time)

You can also retrieve the file to correct it on your PC and move it back.

You can directly edit the file via ssh.

You can even use a PC to scrape the data while storing the results directly on the raspi (sshfs is a great tool)

ZeroCoin

- After scrape, actual rom name is not shown, in favor of the name of whatever it thinks the game is

You should be able to see the filename if you edit the metadata of the ROM. Should be at the top of the edit window above the current game title.

If you are using retropie, you can go into setup and add the scraper tool. Much quicker and a lot more reliable than the GUI scraper. I use the auto scraper and then use the GUI to finish up the handful that were missed.

anderoo

Neo Member
Hello all! I will join this party soon :)
Got my RaspberryPi and I plan to built it into a MadCatz Tournament stick (360/pc).
I read that there might be troubles and you need specific drivers, but other posts seem to suggest it should work out of the gate. Also conflicting results in 64gb sdcard support?
I also ordered two 8bitdos controllers. I had the chance to hold one today and wow they are amazing!

Anyway, so my first steps are:
Install RetroPi
Check if stick works
Check if it works with other controllers together
Then begin the huge part of modifying the stick (cables internally, give it usb ports and so on.)

edit: last post on page :(

I'm using the 360 Madcatz TE and it works perfectly with Retropie out of the box.

I'm also using a 64GB SD. This Toshiba Exceria and had no issues.

MRORANGE

If I buy this lcd screen, will it work with Recalbox out of the box, or with some tinkering, or not at all?

I see some drivers but those are for linux

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.co/MCO-435711747-pantalla-tactil-raspberry-pi-32bb-lcd-touch-_JM

With SPI/GPIO LCD's a bit of tinkering is needed, depending on the driver board this can either be pretty easy or just plain infuriating.

I've got two working so far:

2.4" spi lcd (cheap on ebay, 2.8" versiion should also work)
3.2" waveshare lcd (ebay, scarce now but look for clones.)

both run at 60fps

UPD0MsZ.jpg

If you do get that screen please tell us if it works, at 3.5" it would be a great LCD screen and it's pretty cheap on ebay.

derFeef

I'm using the 360 Madcatz TE and it works perfectly with Retropie out of the box.

I'm also using a 64GB SD. This Toshiba Exceria and had no issues.

- If the MadCatz is just a usb stick and not wireless then it should be fine.
- Some 64GB cards may not work, haven't really tried, I stick to 32gb usually.

Here are some arcade stick/pi ideas to get you started:

http://imgur.com/gallery/hAh0e
http://bencao74.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/arcadeforgede-pijamma-project-building.html
http://lifehacker.com/this-raspberry-pi-powered-arcade-stick-is-pre-loaded-wi-1481961115
http://jh-interact.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/raspberry-pi-based-4-player-arcade.html

Thanks for the replies and links! :)
I am currently thinking. Somehow it would be neat to have a sole stick as a portable retro arcade, on the other hand I want to keep the sticks functioniality. I am currently checking what cables I need to wire it internally and how I would do the USB ports on the stick. Maybe I am just putting usb cables to the outside - which would be the uglier but easier version.

Harlock

Scrapping is the weak point of Retropie. If the name has other characters, dont work. And sometimes find the wring game. And changing that is also slow. Really needs a web interface for that. I believe the nes Classic hack is doing a better job with that, at least for cover art.

Dragoshi1

Hey guys, I'm turning a second Pi I got into a PSX Retropie, or trying to anyway.

What's the max size sd card the pi can take?

And, if it can't take more than 32gbs(Which is what I have in it currently), then is there a way to load all games right off the USB, and a way to stop the Pi from auto-copying the games to the sd when the usb is plugged in?

Costia

Hey guys, I'm turning a second Pi I got into a PSX Retropie, or trying to anyway.

And, if it can't take more than 32gbs(Which is what I have in it currently), then is there a way to load all games right off the USB, and a way to stop the Pi from auto-copying the games to the sd when the usb is plugged in?

Official max is 32. I am using a 64gb sandisk card. A 128gb card might work as well, but it seems that above 32gb some specific card models work and some dont.

You can play roms from a usb without copying. But AFAIK it's not a menu option - you will have to mess around with mounting the USB drive at the correct location and disabling the copying script.

darksunpr

Quick question. I installed retropie on a raspberry pi a few months ago and everything is working great. My gf fell in love with it and want it one for herself, so I bought one and just did an IMG of my sd card and installed that img on another sd card for her Pi. Now my issue is that hers doesnt have sound and I have no idea why.

Tealmann

Is there any way to enter the Wifi password without a keyboard?
My pi zero doesn't have built in wifi and there's only one usb port. The keyboard doesn't work plugged into a hub so I can't have both a wifi adapter and a keyboard plugged in at once.

MRORANGE

Is there any way to enter the Wifi password without a keyboard?
My pi zero doesn't have built in wifi and there's only one usb port. The keyboard doesn't work plugged into a hub so I can't have both a wifi adapter and a keyboard plugged in at once.

Try this:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

add this info to the bottom:

Code:
network={
        ssid="<SSID of your wifi network>"
        psk="<the password for this network>"

then either reboot and see if it works, if not do this:

Code:
sudo wpa_action wlan0 stop

sudo ifup wlan0

... it's probaly better to buy a usb hub tbh.

So these are a thing now for the RPi.....

be nice to hook the RPi up to CRTs

Nice!cant SCART provide 5v power to the Pi by any chance from the TV ?

Harlock

Quick question. I installed retropie on a raspberry pi a few months ago and everything is working great. My gf fell in love with it and want it one for herself, so I bought one and just did an IMG of my sd card and installed that img on another sd card for her Pi. Now my issue is that hers doesnt have sound and I have no idea why.

You tried a clean install? Maybe just copy the roms and scrap files (images anx XML).

Game Guru

Hey, what sort of Starter Kit would you guys recommend in regards to making a Raspberry Pi Gaming Box? Also which distro would you guys recommend for one at this point in time? I want to build one, but I have not gotten the parts I need for it yet.

btrboyev

It can handle up to at least a 256gb card. I use a 128gb

btrboyev

Scrapping is the weak point of Retropie. If the name has other characters, dont work. And sometimes find the wring game. And changing that is also slow. Really needs a web interface for that. I believe the nes Classic hack is doing a better job with that, at least for cover art.

Are you using the selphs scraper or the emulsion station scraper? Don't use the emulation station scraper.

Harlock

Are you using the selphs scraper or the emulsion station scraper? Don't use the emulation station scraper.

I tried install the selphs scraper, but I got nothing found or something like that when I input: sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh in the command line, after quitting the emulationstation.

But almost all my games has cover art by now. What the regular scraper dont find is Neogeo and Arcade.

Iced

Can anyone give me some tips on how to configure my Fighting Stick 3 in Recalbox for Mame? I booted up Street Fighter and all the buttons are wrong. I'm assuming I want:

1 2 3
4 5 6

But I don't know how that corresponds with the button configuration in Recalbox.

MRORANGE

Can anyone give me some tips on how to configure my Fighting Stick 3 in Recalbox for Mame? I booted up Street Fighter and all the buttons are wrong. I'm assuming I want:

1 2 3
4 5 6

But I don't know how that corresponds with the button configuration in Recalbox.

Does RecalBox use FBA? if so then this link will give you an idea on how to configure it.

I had the asame issue a year ago, since emulationstation mapped buttons across all platforms - even though they were in the wrong position.

derFeef

So I am currently putting together a list of USB/HDMI jacks to built into my arcade stick.
I am facing a few problems during the planning phase here ;) I will go with Neutrik jacks since that's what everyone recommends and I have seen it being used in many stick mods.

Now there are USB and HDMI jacks available, but no micro usb ones that I could use for the power adapter. The USB jacks are USB B on the inside so there is not a good way to convert a USB jack to micro USB power. (I hope that makes sense). Any ideas from you guys how I could provide power to the raspberry pi without too much tinkering?

edit, I guess it would not really work that way. Power adapter > miro USB to USB A > USB Jack > USB B to USB A cable > USB A to micro USB adapter > Raspberry PI.
I am not sure the 2.5A can be provided then? Seems a bit much ;)

edit2: I guess a more easy way is to just fixate the USB power cable and then hide it inside the cable try the stick already has.. that's not that elegant but way more hassle-free :)

1 2 3
4 5 6

Set the controls for FBA to arcade instead of Gamepad.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Guys i have an INCREDIBLY dumb question, can a normal pc/notebook motherboard do the same things that RPi do? I mean i see that most of the RPi projects rely on the GPIOs but i don't see GPIOs in normal MBs or did i miss them? Is there somthing else?
Sorry again for the dumb question but i know nothing about these things.

Guys i have an INCREDIBLY dumb question, can a normal pc/notebook motherboard do the same things that RPi do? I mean i see that most of the RPi projects rely on the GPIOs but i don't see GPIOs in normal MBs or did i miss them? Is there somthing else?
Sorry again for the dumb question but i know nothing about these things.

you will need an encoder, the I-PAC 2 is most commonly used, i think. but there are hacks for using the controller of an usb-keyboard for example

Dezzy

I''ve been interested in the RPi for a livingroom emulation box.

I see that it has no power switch, but I want a better way to power it on and off than just pulling the plug. It'd be hooked up via HDMI switch, and if it's powered on all the time, the switch won't auto-select other devices. What's the best way to be able to power on and off?

Also, for a total newbie, what's the best stuff to get for it, such as power supply, case and memory card?

kafiend

I see that it has no power switch, but I want a better way to power it on and off than just pulling the plug. It'd be hooked up via HDMI switch, and if it's powered on all the time, the switch won't auto-select other devices. What's the best way to be able to power on and off?

Also, for a total newbie, what's the best stuff to get for it, such as power supply, case and memory card?

Maybe a usb with a power switch?

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/...t=1325260929&gclid=CP3UlvmDkdICFQ-3GwodWu0GoA

MRORANGE

I've started down the rabbit hole of building a bartop. Does anyone have experience using these sanwa snap-in style buttons in a 1/2" MDF board?

9DvKChG.jpg

Are the tabs strong enough to hold the buttons firm?

12mm is fine if it's mdf.

So I am currently putting together a list of USB/HDMI jacks to built into my arcade stick.
I am facing a few problems during the planning phase here ;) I will go with Neutrik jacks since that's what everyone recommends and I have seen it being used in many stick mods.

Now there are USB and HDMI jacks available, but no micro usb ones that I could use for the power adapter. The USB jacks are USB B on the inside so there is not a good way to convert a USB jack to micro USB power. (I hope that makes sense). Any ideas from you guys how I could provide power to the raspberry pi without too much tinkering?

edit, I guess it would not really work that way. Power adapter > miro USB to USB A > USB Jack > USB B to USB A cable > USB A to micro USB adapter > Raspberry PI.
I am not sure the 2.5A can be provided then? Seems a bit much ;)

edit2: I guess a more easy way is to just fixate the USB power cable and then hide it inside the cable try the stick already has.. that's not that elegant but way more hassle-free :)

are you looking for something like this? but a micro USB? I haven't come across one like you want. Ebay is the best bet for stuff like this.

Could you use a micro usb breakout board and then solder wires to it and power it through GPIO pins using 5v and GND?

^^^ good option, bear in mind you should never turn off your pi directly with a switch as it will corupt the micro SD card over time and can cause damage to the Pi. There are Power switchres that use GPIO pins to send a shutdown signal that turns off the pi for you.

derFeef

Yeah I thought about a breakout board, that may work for sure!
But I found out that the Tournament Edition stick has really tight space. WIthout heavy modding and removing almost all of the plastic inside it's going to be tough to fit everything in. Currently there is no chance of fitting the jacks and cables.

MRORANGE

Yeah I thought about a breakout board, that may work for sure!
But I found out that the Tournament Edition stick has really tight space. WIthout heavy modding and removing almost all of the plastic inside it's going to be tough to fit everything in. Currently there is no chance of fitting the jacks and cables.

Hmm that's a tire it one, if you can't even fit breakout board I would honestly gut the stick and make me own enclosure out of wood or something.

Is it possible to edit the metadata for ROMs through that as well?

Not yet.

I've been following this thread for a while now, and I think I'm interested in using this (or something similar) as the basis of a 2-player bartop arcade machine. I'm not really interested (nor do I have the space or tools) in cutting wood, though - are there any recommendations for a nice kit for a 2-player machine? It doesn't need to have a giant/heavy screen...just 2 players, and able to make use of a RPi3 or even similar small Android or Windows boxes.

MRORANGE

I've been following this thread for a while now, and I think I'm interested in using this (or something similar) as the basis of a 2-player bartop arcade machine. I'm not really interested (nor do I have the space or tools) in cutting wood, though - are there any recommendations for a nice kit for a 2-player machine? It doesn't need to have a giant/heavy screen...just 2 players, and able to make use of a RPi3 or even similar small Android or Windows boxes.

eBay: arcade cabinet raspberry pi

Will usually do the trick if you're just looking for a pre cut cabinet.

Is it possible to have Retropie / Recalbox write your saves to a dropbox or other online repository to create "cloud saves" between different pi's?

My girlfriend and I play a lot of old games together, and it would be awesome to be able to pick up our progress when we switch from her place to mine.

StereoVsn

Are there any rumors on Pi 4 release? Thinking about getting one to tool around but figure might as well wait if 4 is around the corner.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good case with a fan for cooling? Most that I saw off Amazon or couple other places were not great.

MRORANGE

Is it possible to have Retropie / Recalbox write your saves to a dropbox or other online repository to create "cloud saves" between different pi's?

My girlfriend and I play a lot of old games together, and it would be awesome to be able to pick up our progress when we switch from her place to mine.

Do t think there's is one for Dropbox yet, but there is one for google drive:
https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_...omate_nightly_backups_of_your_retropie_saves/

MRORANGE

Got the Waveshare 3.5 ...... I would not bother getting it, cannot get 30fps stable without gltichign the device and the colour pallet just goes to fucking shit and back:

It also seems really stretched for a 4:3 device, I am pretty sure the panel is a 16:10 aspect ratio.

Waveshare 3.2 is the best bet for portable screens then unfortunately.

Top Bottom