• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

Well I installed the BIOS required it's allowing Metal Gear Solid to run now. However I'm getting a really sluggish performance. It's all still default settingsans I haven't tweaked anything yet for fear of making it worse. Having had a quick look online, no one else seems to be having my issues.

I think I'm gonna go through a tutorial again from scratch and see if there was something I missed or did wrong, cause I don't know where to start meddling with settings for PSX. Dropping the resolution, which is pretty elementary adjustments, made no difference at all. =/

Would this power supply from my Sony Z3 Compact be sufficient for a Pi 3b?

CSecIkq.jpg

That's a charger not a power supply; regardless of what its charging wattage is it's not designed to be used as a long term high amperage continuous direct current draw. It's always best to get a 2.5A+ power supply. For the short term, it should do.

Is there an easy way through retropie to change which connected controller is port 1, port 2 etc. I have one NES30PRO with analog sticks that is needed for some PSX games, but the standard NES30 seems better for other games so I'd like to be able to easily switch what is recognized as player one and two.

npm0925

Can you do a fresh install of RetroPie and/or Recalbox without a keyboard? Does Recalbox support native bluetooth yet? And do both applications allow you to drag and drop ROMs from a PC via wifi?

Costia

Can you do a fresh install of RetroPie and/or Recalbox without a keyboard? Does Recalbox support native bluetooth yet? And do both applications allow you to drag and drop ROMs from a PC via wifi?

On retropi you will need a keyboard to enter the wi-fi password. Besides that i think you can get along with controller only.

Well I installed the BIOS required it's allowing Metal Gear Solid to run now. However I'm getting a really sluggish performance. It's all still default settingsans I haven't tweaked anything yet for fear of making it worse. Having had a quick look online, no one else seems to be having my issues.

Are you getting the rainbow colored square?

Are you getting the rainbow colored square?

I do remember seeing a rainbow coloured square that filled the screen, I think when I first turn the Pi on. I thought that was a splash image but I haven't noticed it since changing theme. If you mean a rainbow square showing while the game is playing - no haven't seen one then. I haven't seen anything in the top right corner while playing to indicate an issue.

If I'm throwing roms into a retropie rom folder, do they have to be in that root folder, or can they be divided into further folders?

For example, I have Super Famicom and Super Famicom Satellavision in separate folders.. can I just throw those two folders into the retropie snes rom folder, or must I put only the rom files in there?

edit:

Also, does retropie MSX emulator also read MSX 2 roms?

If I'm throwing roms into a retropie rom folder, do they have to be in that root folder, or can they be divided into further folders?

For example, I have Super Famicom and Super Famicom Satellavision in separate folders.. can I just throw those two folders into the retropie snes rom folder, or must I put only the rom files in there?

edit:

Also, does retropie MSX emulator also read MSX 2 roms?

There is only one way to find out! Try it and report back :p

Dragoshi1

Anyone know what's up with the MAME emu not working with a controller?

I tried playing a Metal Slug, but nothing works, and none of the buttons is the Coin.

The controller itself works(A wired xbone controller) in other emulators just fine, it's only MAME that's giving me an issue.

There is only one way to find out! Try it and report back :p

Okay, I did it.

I threw in a folder with more roms in it, for MSX2 in the MSX folder, for Supergrafix in the PCEngine Folder, and for Satellaview in the SNES folder, and none of them would show.

Here are my impressions for the first time testing this out:

- The button config is a little confusing.. it's seems to be system wide, but different systems have buttons in different positions, right? When configuring the Xbox controller, which it recognized, I had to ignore the Xbox button faces and set the buttons as if it were an SNES controller based on the button config list of ABXY.. But there's no triggers or stick clicks on an SNES controller, so why are those in the config list?

- Famicom Disk System has it's own folder, and it senses the roms, but none of them work... what's going on here?

- There's a notable lag. I'm not home, and it's not my set, but I put gamemode on and turned off everything that would seem to interfere... it helped, but it's still not good enough for me. I'll have to try this on my own set, but right now, I'm a little worried.

I haven't yet done any scraping or anything.. I'm surprised things have been working well enough this far. So I've got to figure out how to get supergrafix games, msx 2 games, and famicom disk system games, to work.. Also, haven't begun to see how to get MAME working yet. I also have a few psone roms, which are archived in zip and rar formats... haven't tried yet, but I wouldn't know how to put these into the folder.. keep them zipped or extract?

sp3ctr3

Wow, that's pretty mindblowing.

I have a question as I've been thinking about building a dedicated custom tabletop version with a Pi2+ running an Android emulator and Super Hexagon.

Is it possible to boot directly to Super Hexagon in the Androind emulator on PowerON?

GG-Duo

Has there been any updates to Emulation Station, or is that project basically dead? The game-management/sorting options on it are kinda horrible.

So I made a retropi last year with a pi 2 and 2 of 8bitdos nes30 pro controllers. I havent updated anything since finally getting everything to work smoothly . Is there an easy way of auto updating retropi and/or emulation station? Will that break my controller configurations? Im assuming there have been some software improvements.

Why is it such a pain in the ass to get the wireless 360 gamepad working with OpenELEC? Spent the good portion of a night to get it working, only for it to break later in the night due to some libgd errors.. At the end of the day I gave up and will try again tonight. But ARGH it's a PITA.

I have a wireless keyboard I want to leave plugged into my retropie via USB and have Bluetooth PS3 controllers connected. However, when I start up Retropie it sets my keyboard as controller 1 and my ps3 controller as player 2. Is there any way around this without unplugging my keyboard and restarting?

So I made a retropi last year with a pi 2 and 2 of 8bitdos nes30 pro controllers. I havent updated anything since finally getting everything to work smoothly . Is there an easy way of auto updating retropi and/or emulation station? Will that break my controller configurations? Im assuming there have been some software improvements.

As far as worrying about breaking your setup you could always make a backup of your microsd card to your computer.

As far as updating I believe the first step is to update the Retropie-Setup Script under the Retropie Setup menu. Not sure what to do from there.

How do you activate codes in Retropie for SNES games? I have some old button combination codes for games that just aren't working, and I'm being told that you have to activate the codes within the emulator first? The weird thing is, the Konami code works just fine for NES games.

MICHAEL JACKSON'S MOONWALKER -- lol -- can someone help me with the proper configuration to get this to play?

I have Advance Mame .94 and Mame 2003 both up and running, but can't for the life of me get this to play, and I've tried the "bootleg" version, to no avail.

Game boots up to a black screen and kicks me back out to the emulator menu no matter what I try. :(

A week or so on and I'm starting to think I've got a dud Pi3. I followed this tutorial again, reflashed the SD card and got RetroPie up and running... all seems well. However I'm still having issues with Metal Gear Solid (.PBP file). On default/unchanged settings it runs but as soon as I'm near a soldier in the opening area the games becomes sluggish and borderline playable. I'm surprised because I can't find anyone else online having the same issue and I can't find any specific tweaks that could make a difference.

I've read people find a bit of variation in performance between Pi units.. is this once of those scenarios?

Pbp is a psp file format. Why not try an Iso or a Bin/Cue? Psp is too stronk

Well I tried Disc1 of Metal Gear Solid initially and it ran the same, then I tried a PBP as an alternative option and no difference. I had the PBP on my desktop when setting up the Pi again and copied it over as it was there. I could try Disk 1 but I'm certain there will be no change.

Okay, so I was worried my retropie was laggy because of the huge amount of roms I had on it.. so I set up another retropie on the small included SD card. Same lag. It has to be my tv but I don't have time to check on something else. Seems snappier in the menus, but I can't be sure.

Anyway, I was wondering, is there a way to properly shut off the system other than just hitting the switch on my power adapter? I see there is a system shutdown, but when I tried that, it actually reboot itself on its own... so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to shut it off quickly before it has a chance to reboot?

As retropie boots up, it says something in the startup text like 'dirty bit'... 'something something fs failed to unmount correctly' or something.. It did this on both sd cards, so I guess it's normal? Or might it be referring to me suddenly shutting off the device?

Another question... Would it be better to only have the OS on the SD card, and put the roms on a USB storage? That way, the SD is read only, and thus might not easily be corrupted? Would it be possible that the roms load more quickly too, that is, less input lag, assuming it's not just my tv??

What do you guys think?

edit: I wanted to check out some filters.. So I went to the config in retroarch.. The shaders aren't listed there even though I can find them in the quick menu while in a game...

edit2: Why is it that if I run an NES game at a lower resolution... say.. 320 x 240, why does it output like there aren't enough pixels to render the game screen? Isn't that a native NES resolution?

Ripenen

Okay, so I was worried my retropie was laggy because of the huge amount of roms I had on it.. so I set up another retropie on the small included SD card. Same lag. It has to be my tv but I don't have time to check on something else. Seems snappier in the menus, but I can't be sure.

Anyway, I was wondering, is there a way to properly shut off the system other than just hitting the switch on my power adapter? I see there is a system shutdown, but when I tried that, it actually reboot itself on its own... so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to shut it off quickly before it has a chance to reboot?

As retropie boots up, it says something in the startup text like 'dirty bit'... 'something something fs failed to unmount correctly' or something.. It did this on both sd cards, so I guess it's normal? Or might it be referring to me suddenly shutting off the device?

Another question... Would it be better to only have the OS on the SD card, and put the roms on a USB storage? That way, the SD is read only, and thus might not easily be corrupted? Would it be possible that the roms load more quickly too, that is, less input lag, assuming it's not just my tv??

What do you guys think?

edit: I wanted to check out some filters.. So I went to the config in retroarch.. The shaders aren't listed there even though I can find them in the quick menu while in a game...

edit2: Why is it that if I run an NES game at a lower resolution... say.. 320 x 240, why does it output like there aren't enough pixels to render the game screen? Isn't that a native NES resolution?

Not sure how it would work to run roms off a USB drive. I don't have a ton of roms but I don't experience any lag at all.

You might try a different SD card. Here's info on how different cards perform: http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

Why is it that if I run an NES game at a lower resolution... say.. 320 x 240, why does it output like there aren't enough pixels to render the game screen? Isn't that a native NES resolution?

That much I can answer without a Pi. No. Native NES is 256x240. It's supposed to be anamorphic 4:3, and games tend to not care about glitches in margins that would be overscanned, and according to some it should be blurred horizontally too - anyway it's not 320x240 "natively".

MRORANGE

Really happy with the WaveShare 3.2 LCD, going to get the 3.5 now, should hopefully run on the same driver set, if not the worst case scenario it will run at 30fps.

Some people have actually been using the 3.2 for GBA screen / Pi Zero mods.

for less than $15 it's a great screen and beats the composite 3.5 by miles

Had another retro night with a few mates the other weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions as to why I can't get more than 2 controllers to pair to the Pi? Can't get them paired by Bluetooth and can't get wired ones to detect in game. I've got an 8bitdo snes layout controller (with the nes aesthetic) and we're trying to pair 2 DS4's and a wired snes controller but can never get more than 2 controllers paired.

Short of wiping the whole thing and starting from scratch I don't know what else to do but I've been stalling on that because there's literally thousands of games on there.

OmegaDL50

Really happy with the WaveShare 3.2 LCD, going to get the 3.5 now, should hopefully run on the same driver set, if not the worst case scenario it will run at 30fps.

Is there a way to get one of these without the touch support. I am thinking of using the 5 inch version to make basically a handheld that is equivalent in size to the bottom half of a 3DS XL (The top screen measures 4.8 inches so the WaveShare screen at 5 inches should work adequately for my needs.

Now I just need to use a controller to gut and create a custom 3D Printed housing to create my own Raspberry Pi handheld.

MRORANGE

Is there a way to get one of these without the touch support. I am thinking of using the 5 inch version to make basically a handheld that is equivalent in size to the bottom half of a 3DS XL (The top screen measures 4.8 inches so the WaveShare screen at 5 inches should work adequately for my needs.

Now I just need to use a controller to gut and create a custom 3D Printed housing to create my own Raspberry Pi handheld.

Just peel off the touch screen layer.

Managed to get the xpad driver working on openelec. only to find out that it can only emulate keyboard presses and couldn't manage to figure out a decent keyboard map setup that will work comfortably for both menus and playback.

At least CEC works so there's that.. But I'm really sad I didn't go for OSMC :(

derFeef

Hello all! I will join this party soon :)
Got my RaspberryPi and I plan to built it into a MadCatz Tournament stick (360/pc).
I read that there might be troubles and you need specific drivers, but other posts seem to suggest it should work out of the gate. Also conflicting results in 64gb sdcard support?
I also ordered two 8bitdos controllers. I had the chance to hold one today and wow they are amazing!

Anyway, so my first steps are:
Install RetroPi
Check if stick works
Check if it works with other controllers together
Then begin the huge part of modifying the stick (cables internally, give it usb ports and so on.)

edit: last post on page :(

MRORANGE

Hello all! I will join this party soon :)
Got my RaspberryPi and I plan to built it into a MadCatz Tournament stick (360/pc).
I read that there might be troubles and you need specific drivers, but other posts seem to suggest it should work out of the gate. Also conflicting results in 64gb sdcard support?
I also ordered two 8bitdos controllers. I had the chance to hold one today and wow they are amazing!

Anyway, so my first steps are:
Install RetroPi
Check if stick works
Check if it works with other controllers together
Then begin the huge part of modifying the stick (cables internally, give it usb ports and so on.)

edit: last post on page :(

- If the MadCatz is just a usb stick and not wireless then it should be fine.
- Some 64GB cards may not work, haven't really tried, I stick to 32gb usually.

Here are some arcade stick/pi ideas to get you started:

http://imgur.com/gallery/hAh0e
http://bencao74.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/arcadeforgede-pijamma-project-building.html
http://lifehacker.com/this-raspberry-pi-powered-arcade-stick-is-pre-loaded-wi-1481961115
http://jh-interact.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/raspberry-pi-based-4-player-arcade.html

blahness

Where are you seeing this for less than $15? I can only find it between 25-30.

Rimshot

I'm thinking of trying to build something fun for my bonus 4 year old son, using the raspberry pi 3 that I have doing nothing at the moment. Thinking of either creating a table with a built in screen / controllers so that he can play games, or something else fun that allows him to watch cartoons or play somehow. I was therefore looking at some screens, and I see that there's an official raspberry pi 7" screen. I have a hard time trying to build a mental image of the size, and wonder if it won't be a tad on the small side?

And just out of curiosity, do you know any cool projects made with it? :)

Top Bottom