• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

Lettuce

Big news for RetroPie, it now has a web interface for adding content and changing settings and it's really easy to use.

- Monitor Raspberry Pi info and termperatures
- Add roms and BIOS through the web interface drag + drop
- Modify scripts and RetroArch configs.

cd8rZyY.png

Gonna give it a try tonight if I can.

Are you not able to add box art with this browser app?

MRORANGE

Has anybody here had issues with ModMyPi in the UK?

I ordered some hardware from them last week for delivery today, they delivered it but the box is empty. now they're wanting me to pay to send the box back to them before they'll deal with it.

No problems with them butying stuff from them but I mostly use pimoroni now

Are you not able to add box art with this browser app?

Nope.

JP

No problems with them butying stuff from them but I mostly use pimoroni now.
I think and hope it's all sorted out now.

I'd ordered my second Pi 3 and a FLIRC USB dongle from them a few days ago and the package turned up today, the Pi 3 was fine but the FLIRC box was empty when I opened it.

I spoke to them online and they insisted on me sending the box back to them and they would then send a replacement. It's the first time that I'd used them and I wasn't happy having to pay postage sending an empty box back due to a mistake that had happened on their somewhere.

I just wasn't sure if I was being played or something.

It seems that they'd completely misunderstood my issue and believed that I had issues with a Pi 3 case, which wasn't even a part of my order but eventually realised where they'd gone wrong and agreed to send a replacement to me tomorrow.

The strange thing is that the FLIRC box was actually sealed when I received it so it's probably not their doing at all but obviously my issue was with them rather than their supplier or whoever was to blame.

I've not heard of Pimoroni before, I'll have look through their stuff later on.

Out of interest, does anybody else have any recommendations of shops such as these in the UK that they use?
Here's the keyboard that I use for the most part. But I haven't tried to use a Bluetooth keyboard so I can't really speak to whether that would be better out not. I prefer to just use a USB dongle and not worry about pairing or support. Also use it for my PS4.
I have a K400r and it works fantastic with the pi. Just pair it once on the PC and then insert the dongle into the pi - even the touchpad works out of the gate and everything. I can only recommend it.
Thanks, after a lot of flicking between keyboards and trying to decide which to buy I finally settled on the Rii Mini Wireless Keyboard i8+ as it's pretty highly regarded for this type of thing. Obviously I'm not getting anything like the quality of a substantial mechanical keyboard but it isn't going to be used for the same things either.

It cost me about £15 from Amazon and it'll be here tomorrow to try.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Got my Retro Pie last night. Pretty cool. I need a keyboard to set it up properly.

Also need to get an on/off switch for it. I feel weird just leaving it on.

Qwark

Anybody have experience with putting together a PiGrrl? I'm a noob at hardware engineering but I'd like to learn and I like the idea of a handheld Pi. I'm just not sure if this is a good project to start with.

Anybody have experience with putting together a PiGrrl? I'm a noob at hardware engineering but I'd like to learn and I like the idea of a handheld Pi. I'm just not sure if this is a good project to start with.

I just bought one, as I know my skills would not be up to it. It arrived today. Decent, but I wish it had a better screen. I might swap that out.

Qwark

I just bought one, as I know my skills would not be up to it. It arrived today. Decent, but I wish it had a better screen. I might swap that out.

Oh, then you can speak on quality a bit. How is the battery? I'm expecting like 3-5 hours? Also, there is an HDMI out, correct? Couldn't really tell from the pictures, but you'd be able to connect it to a TV and sync up wireless controllers? And, is there hardware audio control? Or do you have to go into the software settings to adjust that?

Also, question for any hardware people. I'm buying my first solder iron. Tin vs Lead? I know tin is a worse solder, but is it that much worse that I should still consider lead, despite its environmental and health dangers?

Oh, then you can speak on quality a bit. How is the battery? I'm expecting like 3-5 hours? Also, there is an HDMI out, correct? Couldn't really tell from the pictures, but you'd be able to connect it to a TV and sync up wireless controllers? And, is there hardware audio control? Or do you have to go into the software settings to adjust that?

Also, question for any hardware people. I'm buying my first solder iron. Tin vs Lead? I know tin is a worse solder, but is it that much worse that I should still consider lead, despite its environmental and health dangers?

No audio or HDMI out.

No hardware audio control, but the pre-configure software so it can be done with a button combo (very straightforward). Overall its so so but the configuration is excellent.

Battery lasted a good long while. I didn't time it, but probably 4 hours.

Lettuce

Has anyone managed to get CD PC Engine games to work in RetroPie?. I have them working fine on Retroarch on windows and have copied the same files (BIOS and game iso's) and placed them in the correct folder but when i go and load the game it just resets back to Emulation Station

plainr_

Really happy with the WaveShare 3.2 LCD, going to get the 3.5 now, should hopefully run on the same driver set, if not the worst case scenario it will run at 30fps.

Some people have actually been using the 3.2 for GBA screen / Pi Zero mods.

for less than $15 it's a great screen and beats the composite 3.5 by miles

I wish I visited this thread and saw this post last week before I bought a replacement composite screen.

Oh well, I'm just glad I finished my GameBoy Zero. :)

Noob Alert! Noob Alert! Noob Alert!

Is Raspberry Pi an option for making retro games look great on a HDTV?

Framemeister isn't an option financially. And the Retron 5 doesn't get the greatest reviews (lag and other issues).

Framemeister isn't an option financially. And the Retron 5 doesn't get the greatest reviews (lag and other issues).

it depends on your level of needs

Pixel perfect is really not possible. However, for casual effects, it can be quite good

please mind that complex effects add a bit of input lag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvSrrdV5VeU

ScOULaris

It's a fucking fantastic option for making retro games look great on an HDTV. I use floob's video manager, which gives me a bunch of awesome borders to mimic the look of CRT TV's for old consoles and handhelds as well. While the Pi can't handle some of the more complex and CPU-intensive shaders out there, it has plenty of options that can easily accomplish what the Framemeister could or even surpass it.

Here's a picture I took a while back of Super Mario World running on my Retropie.

I'm using a border that replicates the look of an old CRT TV and a combination of filters and scanlines with proper integer scaling to give it that truly authentic look.

btrboyev

Has anyone managed to get CD PC Engine games to work in RetroPie?. I have them working fine on Retroarch on windows and have copied the same files (BIOS and game iso's) and placed them in the correct folder but when i go and load the game it just resets back to Emulation Station

The cue file has the have the .bin filename exact, otherwise they don't work. Open up the .cue file in notepad and the bin file name is at the top of the cue. Make sure it matches 100%

spons

Gold Member
About to move myself to the Media Markt and get a Raspberry Pi kit. One question:

I have a non-Bluetooth Xbox One controller and from what I read, the Windows 10 Wireless Receiver isn't supported (properly). The only solution right now is a long ass Micro USB to normal USB cable?

About to move myself to the Media Markt and get a Raspberry Pi kit. One question:

I have a non-Bluetooth Xbox One controller and from what I read, the Windows 10 Wireless Receiver isn't supported (properly). The only solution right now is a long ass Micro USB to normal USB cable?

Just normal USB.

spons

Gold Member
Got it a couple of hours ago. Setting this up was laughably easy. My Xbox One controller works perfectly when wired, and installation is literally just writing an image to a Micro SD card and booting the thing up. 15 minutes of work, which includes the entire download of RetroPie.

I only wonder why I didn't jump on this earlier.

Darrenf

I'm stuck at the Dreamcast Date Time screen. I can't select start. I'm using a DS4 and my buttons are configured. What can I do?

Is there any real performance differences between Lakka/Retropie/Recalbox on a Raspberry Pi 3b?

Preferably I want to go with the simplest option to set up (even if it has less emulators) but I'll go to the extra effort if PS1 performance is appreciably different between the diff OS.

Kinan

Is there any real performance differences between Lakka/Retropie/Recalbox on a Raspberry Pi 3b?

Preferably I want to go with the simplest option to set up (even if it has less emulators) but I'll go to the extra effort if PS1 performance is appreciably different between the diff OS.

They are all based on the same libretro base, all tunable in all possible parameters (linux), so I do not think there are big speed differences to expect, apart from bugs here and there. I tried retropie and it works fine, but will probably install recalbox as soon as 4.1 release is there just to make it more hassle-free for kids.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
hey guys been watching this thread way to long before saying what cool things you can do with a pi 3 /zero/zero w

UcqImGxl.jpg

$4 bluetooth controller 20 hours battery life same as a snes controller.
only size to a key.
Useless but a fun keychain. I am ordering a second one for mp on the go.

DAFkMKLl.jpg

pi3 with a 8bitdo snes controller and a 5 inch touch screen works perfect NO sound so sound over bluetooth. I am using the jbl extreme.

VxqeGuMl.jpg

best Bluetooth controller for pi3.
I am using it to control my snes normally.
For 2 player mode you will need 2 snes controller emitters.

pi zero and pi zero/w
Get the zero w it's the cheapest solution.
so you dont need a bluetooth/wifi adapter
You can emulate all until snes
kEVhvhCl.jpg

pi 3 emulates till n64/ps1 best pick
sB9HTkFl.jpg

Arcade cab running on a pi3 got my kit from pimoroni
seems legit was about 160 euro's i live in europe tho .

if anyone got questions how to set up crap just Pm me!
peace!

hey guys been watching this thread way to long before saying what cool things you can do with a pi 3 /zero/zero w

UcqImGxl.jpg

$4 bluetooth controller 20 hours battery life same as a snes controller.
only size to a key.
Useless but a fun keychain. I am ordering a second one for mp on the go.

DAFkMKLl.jpg

pi3 with a 8bitdo snes controller and a 5 inch touch screen works perfect NO sound so sound over bluetooth. I am using the jbl extreme.

VxqeGuMl.jpg

best Bluetooth controller for pi3.
I am using it to control my snes normally.
For 2 player mode you will need 2 snes controller emitters.

pi zero and pi zero/w
Get the zero w it's the cheapest solution.
so you dont need a bluetooth/wifi adapter
You can emulate all until snes
kEVhvhCl.jpg

pi 3 emulates till n64/ps1 best pick
sB9HTkFl.jpg

Arcade cab running on a pi3 got my kit from pimoroni
seems legit was about 160 euro's i live in europe tho .

if anyone got questions how to set up crap just Pm me!
peace!

Where did you get this screen, and how easy is to set it up with retropie?

MRORANGE

Where did you get this screen, and how easy is to set it up with retropie?

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/hdmi-8-inch-lcd-screen-kit-800-600

It is this one, very easy as it's HDMI, just have to add two lines to the config.txt to run at native resolution.

Iwas going to get it for my arcade build but I opted for a bigger screen at 10" at the same resoluteness looks great:

The only real benefit of the 8" is you can run it off USB power.

Moreche

I've just ordered a Pi 3 from Pimoroni so I'm looking forward to introducing my son to emulation of the old arcade classics but how easy is to get them running on our HDTV using this?
I already have a 8bitdo controller that I use for out Nintendo classic mini.

Spukc

no my screen was

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-Inch-800x480-HDMI-TFT-LCD-Touch-Screen-for-Raspberry-PI-3-2-Model-B-B/32664395270.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.WI2zFb

20 bucks if you look good you can get it for 15
setting up retropie is super easy

I've just ordered a Pi 3 from Pimoroni so I'm looking forward to introducing my son to emulation of the old arcade classics but how easy is to get them running on our HDTV using this?
I already have a 8bitdo controller that I use for out Nintendo classic mini.

super easy if you get stuck send me a pm

Spukc

np man enjoy!
It was a big jump for me too.
Years ago i had a pc just powerfull enough to run gba games.
Ah memories <3

Chucker

Has anybody had any luck getting a TES+ (PS3/4) or SFIV SE (360) stick to play nice?
My emulationstation mappers are fine, but when I go to configure in RetroArch I don't have a confirm button and all of my buttons are mixed up.

Any ideas?

Spukc

Has anybody had any luck getting a TES+ (PS3/4) or SFIV SE (360) stick to play nice?
My emulationstation mappers are fine, but when I go to configure in RetroArch I don't have a confirm button and all of my buttons are mixed up.

Any ideas?

tried TE1 ps3 it worked for me
you can press start+select to change controls!

BigBlueBanana

Neo Member

I use Recalbox and it's really easy to set up. I run all kinds of PS1 games on it and have had no problems.

Do it!

I tried to put one together. I got the soldering down, but after powering on the screen and going to the game selection screen. None of the buttons work. I followed the instructions exactly regarding the wires and connecting/soldering them to the right connectors, so I'm. It sure what's going on.

Top Bottom