• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

MRORANGE

RetroTink - Component, S-Video and Composite adapter for the Raspberry Pi

IMG_7177.jpg

results look pretty good:

69f8590a-1677-11e7-98fc-eab2b2548db2.JPG

They are all based on the same libretro base, all tunable in all possible parameters (linux), so I do not think there are big speed differences to expect, apart from bugs here and there. I tried retropie and it works fine, but will probably install recalbox as soon as 4.1 release is there just to make it more hassle-free for kids.

I use Recalbox and it's really easy to set up. I run all kinds of PS1 games on it and have had no problems.

Do it!
I tried Recalbox first but didn't have any luck (might be because I'm on a Mac). Tried an image of Retropie and that worked straight away so I've just gone with that.
Impressed I haven't needed a keyboard to set it up and could do everything I needed to with a 360 controller.

So is there a way to do HDMI to 15hz 240p ypbpr component? Im reading that there is an adapter gert666 that will give you 31hz RGBHV but how would you do RGBHV to component?

I really want to get a pi on my Trinitron. I can get a Wii and PS2 i suppose but id really like the flexability of the pi instead.

Those tink things look sweet but maybe unnecessary.

Hey GAF,

I'd like to ask you something regarding the controllers and the way you're mapping them.

I bought a Raspberry Pi 3B last week, for our association, where we mostly play fighting games / smash / retro games. I installed Retropie on it, with a 64GB microSD card.

The PI is working great, but we have a big issue with how the controller mapping works. We're 10-12, taking turns on some fighting games, and we're having a really hard time reconfiguring the arcade sticks / pads / hitboxes every time.

Is there an easy way to config each game we launch ? (Tried to made some .cfgs but the sticks we're using are really, really different from each other)

Thanks !

Dark Rider

Any news on when the next pi hardware is going to be released?
last time I checked it was not powerful enough for a perfect emulation of the N64, Sega Saturn, PS1 and the dreamcast so I decided to wait. Bonus points if it could perfectly do up to the psp and nds on the handheld front.

amnesiac

last time I checked it was not powerful enough for a perfect emulation of the N64, Sega Saturn, PS1 and the dreamcast so I decided to wait. Bonus points if it could perfectly do up to the psp and nds on the handheld front.

2019 apparently. http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-hard...spberry-pi-4-stymied-by-technical-limitations

I think N64 and Sega Saturn are more problematic on the software side than the hardware side. Even the best PC emulators for them aren't perfect.

MRORANGE

This question gets asked so many times it might as well be in the OP.

Dark Rider

2019 apparently. http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-hard...spberry-pi-4-stymied-by-technical-limitations

I think N64 and Sega Saturn are more problematic on the software side than the hardware side. Even the best PC emulators for them aren't perfect.

That is too far away :(
I agree the software side need improvement but hardware brute force also help when the software is lacking. Thank you.

This question gets asked so many times it might as well be in the OP.

I apologize I didn't go back to check. Including it in the OP is a good idea.

MRORANGE

That is too far away :(
I agree the software side need improvement but hardware brute force also help when the software is lacking. Thank you

I apologize I didn't go back to check. Including it in the OP is a good idea.

No offence taken.

It's just a question that continually comes up, people are hoping for a new iteration every year and it ain't gonna happen for a while. The Pi Foundation is a organisation designed to help kids code first - anything else is just extra. Don't get me wrong the adoption of the Pi is mostly by people who are using it for projects, but at this current time the Pi Foundation is quite happy with how the pi3 performs for the educational sector purposes. It has very interest in making it more powerful to run retro games ;)

Dark Rider

No offence taken.

It's just a question that continually comes up, people are hoping for a new iteration every year and it ain't gonna happen for a while. The Pi Foundation is a organisation designed to help kids code first - anything else is just extra. Don't get me wrong the adoption of the Pi is mostly by people who are using it for projects, but at this current time the Pi Foundation is quite happy with how the pi3 performs for the educational sector purposes. It has very interest in making it more powerful to run retro games ;)

I understand it is not the primary focus but I don't see any harm in having two iterations to serve both purposes. I accept that it is their project and they can focus all their effort on their primary objective only which is why I'm here sitting on side line just waiting for it to serve my purposes.

DocSeuss

Two questions:

1) can I take my GBA games, back them up, run them on my retropie (I prefer the TV to my DS Lite screen!), and then put the saves back on the GBA carts, so I can transfer my Pokemon to the next generation carts?

2) if I shut my retropie off, am I correct in thinking the only way to power it back on is by unplugging it and plugging it back in? Is there any kind of power switch?

MRORANGE

Two questions:

1) can I take my GBA games, back them up, run them on my retropie (I prefer the TV to my DS Lite screen!), and then put the saves back on the GBA carts, so I can transfer my Pokemon to the next generation carts?

2) if I shut my retropie off, am I correct in thinking the only way to power it back on is by unplugging it and plugging it back in? Is there any kind of power switch?

Technically you can, if you find out the file formats and have the tools to dump roms off carts, I think some people were using Decrypt9 for GBA VC on 3DS if I recall but overall it's very very messy.

I have no idea on how to re-import saves onto a flash cart, unless it was one of those memory carts.to store multiple games.

Ovarll its very tricky to do and not much information on how to do it.

ZeroCoin

Since Nintendo is pulling the nes classic and I never got one, I'm gonna do a reto pie setup. When will the pi4 be out?

No announced plans or timetable for the pi4. Better off building around a more powerful competitor if you need the power or settling for a pi3 for the foreseeable future.

Crayons

Banned
I just impulse bought one of these. I'm hoping it'll be able to teach me more about computers.

It'll be here tomorrow. I'm excited.

Since Nintendo is pulling the nes classic and I never got one, I'm gonna do a reto pie setup. When will the pi4 be out?

2019, or 2018 at the earliest. Raspberry Pis aren't exactly consumer eletronics, so they don't follow the programmed obsolescence of smartphones, PCs and whatnot.

The Raspberry Foundation needs to secure a hardware compromise that can achieve a meaningful upgrade from the Pi 3 while keeping the price at US$ 35. Yeah, it's a really, really hard thing to do and explains why there isn't a Pi 4 coming up soon.

Bottom line is, you can pretty much buy a Pi 3 now without any fear of seeing it became surpassed by a Pi 4 anytime soon.

Bloodember

I want to make a handheld retro gaming console. Where do I find a resource that tells me what all I need that I don't have to tear a controller apart but make what I need using breadboards, a 3d printer and of course the electronics I need?

MRORANGE

I want to make a handheld retro gaming console. Where do I find a resource that tells me what all I need that I don't have to tear a controller apart but make what I need using breadboards, a 3d printer and of course the electronics I need?

Sudo mod and adafruit have a few guides on how to make a raspberry pi handheld.

Also try thinverse for cases for handhelds.

Selling my pi 3 with case, controller and memory card if anyone is interested (UK).

Built it for my son, but he hasn't really taken any interest. PM for details.

Bloodember

Sudo mod and adafruit have a few guides on how to make a raspberry pi handheld.

Also try thinverse for cases for handhelds.

Thanks. I found some resources for what all I would need and ordered most of it off of amazon and got the others from my local Microcenter. As for the case, I'm designing that myself and printing it with my 3D printer.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
As a dad I'm looking to make a build for the family. I've got questions I hope you can take a moment to answer.

• How do you manage saves in a multiuser machine?
  • RetroPie - Easy enough for a 5 year old?
  • How do you assign a player to a controller for multiplayer?
  • If I want to switch types of controllers (ie SNES controller to a SNK style Joystick configDoes it remember controller settings or do you need to set them up each time.
  • Any prefab kits or plans for tabletop arcade stick 4 player cabinet?
  • Do you have to compile/install RetroPie in Raspian or does it launch through the folder? Any Mac to Pi resources?

deadlast

2019, or 2018 at the earliest. Raspberry Pis aren't exactly consumer eletronics, so they don't follow the programmed obsolescence of smartphones, PCs and whatnot.

The Raspberry Foundation needs to secure a hardware compromise that can achieve a meaningful upgrade from the Pi 3 while keeping the price at US$ 35. Yeah, it's a really, really hard thing to do and explains why there isn't a Pi 4 coming up soon.

Bottom line is, you can pretty much buy a Pi 3 now without any fear of seeing it became surpassed by a Pi 4 anytime soon.

Thanks that sounds like a 3 is ok to start with.

Now is the a package deal that is the most recommended?

Well no chance I get an NES classic now. I want one of these, how big a difference am I looking at to buy one that comes with everything than build my own kind of thing. And whats the best way to get this stuff online?

Well no chance I get an NES classic now. I want one of these, how big a difference am I looking at to buy one that comes with everything than build my own kind of thing. And whats the best way to get this stuff online?

It takes maybe half an hour to set up and there's tonnes of great Youtube videos out there to walk you through. Honestly, it's super easy to do.

waxer

Starting work on a cheap bartop build for family....Which probably means for me :) Money is tight and third son due to be born in a few weeks.

Got a second hand 22" widescreen monitor(was cheap) and a pi3 coming.

Have a 32gb sd card and old x-arcade controller in storage plus some z680 Logitech suround speakers with a lepai amp. Figured why not push budget to cabinet.

Any tips on cheap cabinet ideas. I'm thinking 9mm MDF as almost half the price of thicker stuff. And some stick on chrome trim instead of t trim so don't need to buy the slot bit.

Going to try and build to a look similar to tinyarcademachines that I came across on YouTube.

Considering I'm skimping on price I see AliExpress have silk posters of Capcom vs etc. Thinking spray paint unit gloss white and glue poster on sides. Hoping the glossy plastic look of poster will go well with out a varnish coat.

Marquee is my last bargain hurdle. Plexiglass isn't the cheapest and already spent more than I planed originally. With wood lighting etc I'll be creeping towards $150

So i have been reading that Recall box is easier to setup and has better emulation of the games than retropie. Thoughts on that, the OP only has retropie.

Also what is motionblue, I saw some vids on it.

OmegaX

I just assembled my Raspberry Pi 3 case with fan. I got it from Ali Express but it seems to be a knock off of the LoveRPi Performance Pro Active Cooling Case, just without the heart logo sticker. It's a tight fit, and the SD card is easy to put in but extremely difficult to remove. I had to use tweezers to get it out. Also, the fan is really loud for being so small. Apparently, the original case gives you the option to connect the fan to 5V or 3.3V, but this knock off only offers the 5V option which is why it's so loud.
I hope this helps keeping temperature down while playing games.

Dizzy-4U

So i have been reading that Recall box is easier to setup and has better emulation of the games than retropie. Thoughts on that, the OP only has retropie.

Also what is motionblue, I saw some vids on it.
I got a Pi 3 a couple of days ago. Installed both Retropie and Recalbox in different SDs.

My initial thoughts are that Recalbox has better interface since stuff like wifi config, language options, retroarch options and more are integrated into the frontend itself where in Retropie you go into a separate software to do all that.

Having said that, I prefer Retropie. Out of the box it worked flawlessly with everything up to date and much better documentation. In Recalbox I run into controller issues, outdated emulators and inverted controls in the UI (using a wired 360 controller). Maybe they are easlily fixed? I don't know but the fact remains that I had none of that with RetroPie.

About the emulators running better on Recalbox, from what I read it's just because the emulators (N64 specially) are preconfigured to a lower resolution. So of course it's gonna run better. If you lower the resolution in Retropie, you'll get the same performance.

Again, I've only got the Pi a fews days ago, so take everything I said with a grain of salt. I will continue to test Recalbox so I can form a more educated opinon on it. But so far I'm finding Retropie to be the better option.

I got a Pi 3 a couple of days ago. Installed both Retropie and Recalbox in different SDs.

My initial thoughts are that Recalbox has better interface since stuff like wifi config, language options, retroarch options and more are integrated into the frontend itself where in Retropie you go into a separate software to do all that.

Having said that, I prefer Retropie. Out of the box it worked flawlessly with everything up to date and much better documentation. In Recalbox I run into controller issues, outdated emulators and inverted controls in the UI (using a wired 360 controller). Maybe they are easlily fixed? I don't know but the fact remains that I had none of that with RetroPie.

About the emulators running better on Recalbox, from what I read it's just because the emulators (N64 specially) are preconfigured to a lower resolution. So of course it's gonna run better. If you lower the resolution in Retropie, you'll get the same performance.

Again, I've only got the Pi a fews days ago, so take everything I said with a grain of salt. I will continue to test Recalbox so I can form a more educated opinon on it. But so far I'm finding Retropie to be the better option.

Thank you.

So now I'm reading more about motion blue and other retropie "images". So are these files you install from scratch or do you download retropie then add that too it to change the interface. Apparently there are many images.

I want the menus to look really cool with artwork and summaries.

Just curious, is there anything like this, but includes a power supply with an on/off switch? This is the perfect bundle for me, but I hate the idea of pulling the power cord whenever I want to turn it off.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6Q2GSY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I would love a power button Pi with the ability to pop a hat on top. I've decided the RetroTink is easily the best YpBpR solution out there and I was thinking how nice a power button would be.

shimrra

Anyone have any issues with running MAME or NeoGeo? I got a RP3 and followed the instructions and the old consoles games run great its just Mame & NG that just doesnt want to run.Really frustrating.

Dizzy-4U

So, I was able to install a 500gb 2.5" HDD and now I can run everything without worring about space. The HDD is connected to 2 usb ports on the pi (using my WiiU "y" usb cable).

I was really surprised because I have a 2a power supply connected to the pi and I thought it wouldn't be enough. I've seen a looooot of videos showing how hard drives can be power hungry but I haven't seen any of the Retropie warning icons at all.

Let a few PSX games run for a couple of hours and nothing. They all play perfectly. I even installed video snaps and everything runs fine. So I don't know how the hell I'm running this with only 2a.

muteki

Anyone have any issues with running MAME or NeoGeo? I got a RP3 and followed the instructions and the old consoles games run great its just Mame & NG that just doesnt want to run.Really frustrating.

Do you have the bios and/or are you running the right romset version for your emulator?

MAME/Arcade is hit and miss in general but I haven't had issues with the NeoGeo games I've tried.

Jinroh

I tried the curved scanlines shader and it looks fantastic. But the problem is that it kills the framerate for all emulators.

Would overclocking a pi 3 solve this issue?

blahness

The theme is still under development here is what is currently works and what is being worked on.

Here is a list of all 40 systems already supported
(* = not released yet):
Arcade
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari Lynx*
Colecovision
Commodore 64
Famicom
Family Computer Disk System
Final Burn Alpha