• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Hmmm think ive found my next RPi project....

Thought that would be a great source for a cheap NES Classic Mini shell, but it's not exactly cheap either. And you'd have to do some modding to make the controller ports use USB.

Dizzy-4U

A little tip for those having sluggish performance on EmulationStartion. Resize your boxart images.

I could barely move the cursor without stutter all over the place. Resized the boxarts to "max width 400" or "max height 400" (whichever is bigger) and now it runs butter smooth.

It's strange though since video snap playback is smooth and those are big files.

So, I'm looking at ordering a Raspberry Pi for gaming.

I'd like a Pi with every gaming system and game ROM already installed, with HDMI output and two wireless controllers.

I have no idea what the best Pi to buy is. Can anyone recommend what to buy? I'd really rather buy a bundle off ebay than buy my own. I'm just looking for general thoughts here. Is there any particular model of Pi that I should be on the lookout for, and what is the "best" software to have installed on it? Any help at all is appreciated. I am going to read through this thread, but I thought I would make a post too.

Again, I'd rather just buy a pre-setup bundle on ebay, but I'm not sure if those are a good deal or not. I don't mind paying a small premium if someone does the work for me.

So is there a place where I can get a Zero at its actual price? Would love to start a Pi emulation project, and I definitely have a bunch of the required cables lying around.

zoodoo

So I am undecided between snes30 and nes30 pro for a raspberi pi3 for emulation. I ordered a canakit but still thinking about the controller.

I am mostly interested in 8/16bit games plus some arcade fighters.

Does the snes30 work well wirelessly? Is it tricky to pair? Do I have to pair it often or is it just one time?

Also retropie or recalbox?

So I am undecided between snes30 and nes30 pro for a raspberi pi3 for emulation. I ordered a canakit but still thinking about the controller.

Does the snes30 work well wirelessly? Is it tricky to pair? Do I have to pair it often or is it just one time?

I'm contemplating the same thing. I guess I could pull out an xbone or ds4 for PS1 games if need be

Another question/concern I have is installing new emulators. I went through the install package process and put name and ppsspp on there, but I don't see any new folders pop up for isos/ROMs. I even put a psp iso into a rom folder I made labeled 'psp' and still nothing comes up. Am I doing something wrong here? Also, what's the best version of mame to use, the ones that came with the build or the newer experimental ones?

breadtruck

Built mine over the weekend. Its pretty cool. I need a better controller though. Ive always known the 360 d-pad was trash, but retro games really make that aspect stand out.

I was gonna get the mini NES case as my personal "screw you" to Nintendo for not being able to get an official NES Classic, but my brother, who has been into Pis since they were originally introduced, suggested the FLIRC aluminum "giant heatsink" case. So I went with that. Looks classy as fuck (lol)

Dizzy-4U

Has anyone tested PSX games with overclocking?

I wonder if overclocking helps with the stuttering on some games when they are in enhanced graphics mode. Standard resolution works fine on stock speed so no need to overclock there.

PizzaFace

Banned
Planning on setting a Pi up soon for gaming purposes, quick question though. How is the input lag? Is there any? I have OpenEmu on my Mac and the slight input lag there really puts me off

Planning on setting a Pi up soon for gaming purposes, quick question though. How is the input lag? Is there any? I have OpenEmu on my Mac and the slight input lag there really puts me off

Turn your TV on game mode. AND your receiver. I forgot about the receiver monkeying with the signal. Even with a bluetooth DS4, there's not a noticeable lag when playing Mario.

Dizzy-4U

Out of the box, I noticed input lag when I installed RetroPie. Changed a few options and now I'm good to go. Tested it with rhythm games and no problems.

I do still notice a slight input lag when I'm using a bluetooth controller (Wii U Pro in my case) but with the wired 360 controller I have no issues.

ScOULaris

There will always be some input lag when it comes to emulation on an HD TV, but you can tweak some settings here and there to make sure it's as minimal as possible. Your TV will ultimately be the input lag bottleneck in most cases, but enabling Game or PC Mode (whichever your set has) will eliminate most or all of that added processing lag.

I've gotten my Retropie setup to the point where everything feels pretty much perfect to where I can play precise platformers without perceiving much delay at all. When you have everything set up, let me know in this thread and I can give you a few suggestions for making input lag as low as possible.

joeblow

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6FFNY4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QB6F9I0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And buy the microSD of your choice.

Don't worry about software. You take your sd card and you write the retropie image to it and your done. Just put roms on it then.

If you want, you can also find images with games already on the image, but that's all I can say.
Thanks for the post. This will work with my PS3 wheel to use on my PS4 with a GiMX gadget?

J7MB0

Neo Member
Does anyone know if I can have my Pi boot directly into Kodi but also allow me to open Retropie in the more rare times when I want to? My TV controller works with Kodi, so the ability to have it boot right into Kodi means I don't have to have any kind of controller plugged into the Pi at any time.

If I dual boot, I'd still have to have another input plugged in to select Kodi. And with my current setup of Kodi being installed over Retropie, I have to have another input plugged in. I just can't tell if there is a way around this.

Follow this guide:

http://www.matthuisman.nz/2017/03/retropie-kodi-dual-boot.html?m=1

I have a setup based on this and works quite well. That is of course if you like having LibreElec as the backbone of your Kodi, which is my case. Bear in my mind also that you may end up with half sd space allotted for each distro by default.

ZeroCoin

I have both an SNES30 and an SFC30 Pro. I really like them both and tend to use the SFC30 more often. The only thing that may be a deal breaker for some people is that the SFC30 feels much smaller than the SNES30. If that's an issue, stick with the SNES30 and use a DS4 or Xbox One controller if you need analog.

zoodoo

I have both an SNES30 and an SFC30 Pro. I really like them both and tend to use the SFC30 more often. The only thing that may be a deal breaker for some people is that the SFC30 feels much smaller than the SNES30. If that's an issue, stick with the SNES30 and use a DS4 or Xbox One controller if you need analog.

Thanks!

I'll stick to snes30 then.
I already have ps4 and xbox one controllers for psx.

Raspberry Pi GAF, I come to you on hands and knees. I have zero technical know-how. Like, I sometimes struggle with super basic things. I am utterly hopeless but I really want some sort of portable raspberry pi emulator thing. What can I do, GAF? Is there some super detailed, idiot-proof tutorial? Or better yet, is there some place online where I can buy an already-built raspberry pi portable? Thanks for any help you can give me.

zoodoo

Is it easy to pair (SNES30)? I want to play wirelessly

olimpia84

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6FFNY4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QB6F9I0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And buy the microSD of your choice.

Don't worry about software. You take your sd card and you write the retropie image to it and your done. Just put roms on it then.

If you want, you can also find images with games already on the image, but that's all I can say.

Is there a limit / recommended size for SD cards? I know handheld systems like the 3DS sometimes don't accept larger cards.

Bloodember

Raspberry Pi GAF, I come to you on hands and knees. I have zero technical know-how. Like, I sometimes struggle with super basic things. I am utterly hopeless but I really want some sort of portable raspberry pi emulator thing. What can I do, GAF? Is there some super detailed, idiot-proof tutorial? Or better yet, is there some place online where I can buy an already-built raspberry pi portable? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Your in luck, there are many of them. Just do a google search and pick your poison.

dawid

How good are the Sega Saturn emulators for retropie? I know PSX works like a charm, but i guess it's not that easy to assume that Saturn has the same great support..

deadfolk

Thinking of getting into this.

What are the most recent systems which can be emulated well on a Pi 3?

PS1? N64?

Not really interested if performance is poor, e.g. sound cutting out or whatnot.

MikeRahl

PS1? N64?

Not really interested if performance is poor, e.g. sound cutting out or whatnot.

From what I gathered PS1 is almost 100%

N64 is spotty at best. Going to have more luck with Nintendo developed games but probably going to be looking at overclocking it.

PSP games have some good compatability.

There is a DS emulator that apparently was pretty good but has recently been delisted. Mixed reports whether it's because it's a beta and the guy is sick of hearing complaints or he wants to figure out some way to monetize it.

There is a dreamcast emulator but I dont think anyone has much luck with that.

I just finally built mine last night so this is coming from knowledge around forums, not personal experience.

deadfolk

From what I gathered PS1 is almost 100%

N64 is spotty at best. Going to have more luck with Nintendo developed games but probably going to be looking at overclocking it.

PSP games have some good compatability.

There is a DS emulator that apparently was pretty good but has recently been delisted. Mixed reports whether it's because it's a beta and the guy is sick of hearing complaints or he wants to figure out some way to monetize it.

I just finally built mine last night so this is coming from knowledge around forums, not personal experience.

Thanks a lot! Just want to temper my expectations before I begin.

blahness

PS1? N64?

IMO, PS1 is pretty much perfect and N64 is no where near and is not really worth messing because of the poor performance.

MikeRahl

How good are the Sega Saturn emulators for retropie? I know PSX works like a charm, but i guess it's not that easy to assume that Saturn has the same great support..

I don't even think there is a great Saturn emulator for the PC. It was really weird hardware.

blahness

A few games do work pretty much perfect. The ones that I have tested and can confirm are Cosmic Smash and Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage. Granted, I have not played through either of them to completion, so I am not sure if there are any issues further in. Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 are totally playable too though expect some fps drops here and there.

MikeRahl

A few games do work pretty much perfect. The ones that I have tested and can confirm are Cosmic Smash and Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage. Granted, I have not played through either of them to completion, so I am not sure if there are any issues further in. Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 are totally playable too though expect some fps drops here and there.

Did you get the dreamcast games working with an overclock or just stock?

zoodoo

Got my raspberry pi3 and installed recalbox :)

Nes, gc and gb games look really nice on my tv. Now I have to tweak the snes and gba settings to look better.

How do I save custom mapping for each console????

On the recalbox website, it says: Go to Quick Menu the controls

But when I go to quick menu I dont have the "controls" option in that screen. However in settings i have "Input" and I can change them but they dont save. Please help!
I am using recalbox version 4.2

BigDes

There a way to scrape roms on PC and then transfer the data to the pi?

Bit annoying that the built in scraper takes so long on the pi.

I only have three snes games, shouldn't take an hour to scrape.

zoodoo

There a way to scrape roms on PC and then transfer the data to the pi?

Bit annoying that the built in scraper takes so long on the pi.

I only have three snes games, shouldn't take an hour to scrape.

Google xml universal scraper. Way faster.

Dizzy-4U

Nes, gc and gb games look really nice on my tv. Now I have to tweak the snes and gba settings to look better.

But when I go to quick menu I dont have the "controls" option in that screen. However in settings i have "Input" and I can change them but they dont save. Please help!
Retroarch keeps changing the menu every time they update. It's hard to keep track where everything is located for each version. I know that Recalbox is using an old version of retroarch (pre 1.5.0 I think) so the options you're looking should stil be there but in different places.

BigDes

Ok, got the XML Universal Scraper

Tried to connect it over SSH to the Raspberry Pi (running Retropie) and keep getting hit with either Rom path not found error or

Roms Path for autoconfiguration can't be reached

So I have no idea. Google is less than helpful.

Any ideas?

Aw, I went and looked up your answer and didn't read your question: You weren't asking about Retropie. However, your answer should still look like: https://retropie.org.uk/docs/RetroArch-Configuration/#hardcoded-configurations

ZeroCoin

Ok, got the XML Universal Scraper

Tried to connect it over SSH to the Raspberry Pi (running Retropie) and keep getting hit with either Rom path not found error or

Roms Path for autoconfiguration can't be reached

So I have no idea. Google is less than helpful.

Any ideas?

You should probably make sure that emulation station isn't running.

If that still isn't working, you can just install the Sselph scraper in the tools. It worked very well for me. Here's a guide on how to set it up.
Scraper Guide

zoodoo

I switched from recalbox to retropie and everything is so much better. My mapping issue is gone. I guess some of the cores in recalbox are too old.

I got my 2 snes30 controllers setup and working perfect. I am in retro heaven now!!!

Why did I wait so long to get a raspberry pie?
Now I can play megaman zero with a snes controller and wirelessly. Sooo good.

Tomorrow I am doing a barbecue with family and a buddy who's into retro games. Perfect timing!!

Top Bottom