• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

Got my retrotink today to add component out to the pi. It's fucking awesome. I've never mastered the art of taking a picture of a TV, so know that these pics don't do it justice:

LqrWzeY.jpg

3kPL2vL.jpg

YnKHB3W.jpg

It takes a bit of time to get setup, without using the developers provided retropie image at least. But, it's worth it. The only downside really is that emulationstation itself kind of looks like shit in 240p. I don't know if it's possible for someone to make a low-res theme made just for it. But, I hope it is and that it happens eventually.

ubiblu

Not sure if users on here oppose of Arcade Punks and pre-made images, but i've tested the new Mad Little Pixel 16GB (V4) and it's fantastic. Great theme, great selection, 95%+ working. Only complaint is switched Select/Start/L/R for FBA-based titles. A quick trip to Retroarch fixed that up just fine.

And it comes with Pepsi Man, which is basically a prerequisite for a solid image these days.

GG-Duo

Is the feature that supports the nice 3D-looking box art already available in the newer RetroPie releases? Or is that still in beta?

Yazuka

Just got a Raspberry pi 3 and I'm playing around with Retropie. All so very new...
How do I best turn the thing on and off? Any other things I would think of?

Eklesp

Just got a Raspberry pi 3 and I'm playing around with Retropie. All so very new...

Leave it on forever and ever...

There are some switches out there you can install.

Just ordered my pi zero w from adafruit, expecting it on Wednesday. Have to wait till next month to get the 3d printed part to make the NES controller build, but that'll give me a month to get everything set exactly how i want it and get a ton of testing in.

Won't it get hot and stuff?
I'm very, very new to all this..

No more than your computer or phone would.

My pi w doesn't come in till Wednesday, is there any emulator or version of blue stacks that can simulate a pi environment so i can start building and customizing an image?

Benedict

I have a bought a separate power plug with a switch, so I turn it on and off there.
A bit of a hassle but better than leaving it on all the time.
There are power plugs you can turn on and off with a remote control which makes it easier.

DocSeuss

Do not turn it off with the switch. Turn it off in the Pi itself. Only use the switch to turn it on or you risk your unit...

cRIPticon

Do not turn it off with the switch. Turn it off in the Pi itself. Only use the switch to turn it on or you risk your unit...

Well, you won't risk hurting the Pi at all, just the OS/image on your memory card. If you choose to do this, just make sure you made a backup image of your memory card so, if it ever becomes corrupt, you can restore the image.

M3d10n

Got my retrotink today to add component out to the pi. It's fucking awesome. I've never mastered the art of taking a picture of a TV, so know that these pics don't do it justice:

It takes a bit of time to get setup, without using the developers provided retropie image at least. But, it's worth it. The only downside really is that emulationstation itself kind of looks like shit in 240p. I don't know if it's possible for someone to make a low-res theme made just for it. But, I hope it is and that it happens eventually.
You can use 480p on EmulationStation and 240p on the emulators themselves. Define a custom 240p resolution in the config.txt and edit the videomodes.txt to set each emulator to use that instead of the default. Works like a charm.

To avoid scaling artifacts, make the custom resolution 1920x240 (yes, CRT TVs will accept this just fine) then enable integer scaling in each emulator, adjusting their horizontal scaling to whichever integer factor is closest to 1920px. Make sure bilinear filter is disabled too. Looks glorious.

Yeah, I did all that as he suggests on his site. Shit looks fucking great in game. But, I'd like a theme with some bigger ass text. Shit can be hard to read and kind of janky looking in 240p. There is also some bad overscan going on in the menus, even in his videos, so I assumed there's nothing to do about it.

Also, random question. Is there a way to turn off the "push any button for options" or whatever when a game is loading. That shit isn't child friendly.

Dizzy-4U

Also, random question. Is there a way to turn off the "push any button for options" or whatever when a game is loading. That shit isn't child friendly.
https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Runcommand/

Scroll down to the "Configuring Runcommand" section. You want to disable "Launch Menu Joystick Control"

By the way, if you don't want kids messing around and breaking everything, there is a kid friendly build of emulationstation that you can download (directly from the pi, no need to download anything elsewhere). You can lock a lot of stuff and even hide games if you think they are too violent of whatever.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Child-friendly-EmulationStation/

waxer

ETA prime on YouTube has a tutorial to add a momentary button to start and shutdown. Super cheap and if building arcade can just use arcade button.

Is hot glue nonconductive?

I was thinking of putting a Pi0W in an NES or SNES cart and I was thinking of ways to secure it.

It's not nonconductive. It's literally just plastic with a low melting point.

There's a guide out there for a pi cart using NES cartridges including setting up a small usb hub and led to tell when it's on or not.

My pi zero w just came in. Setup emulation station and transferring some roms to test her out. My ds4 connected via Bluetooth without issue which is great since i plan on doing the nes controller project on it and it'll make two player super simple.

(Edit) tried a little overcoming to see if i could push it enough to play breath of fire 3 on ps1 since it's running about 90%... No such luck. It's not stable with any sort of overclock. Oh well, I'll invest in a pi3 (or likely by then, a pi4) when i have the spare funds for my next project.

(Edit 2) for some reason shaders aren't working on snes games, but do everywhere else. Weird.

(Edit 3) so pcsx-rearmed (non libretro) is significantly faster, and plays many games full speed on regular clocked pi zero... But it doesn't accept the default controls? Or something, controller doesn't work and not sure how to set it correctly for it.

(Edit 4) seems I've opened a whole can of worms trying to run rearmed... If anyone has an up to date guide on getting it setup and being able to exit back to emulation station I'd be most grateful. Really wanting to run breath of fire 3 and 4 on this little guy.

Harlock

Looks like a NES style SNES controller. Says NEXT on it.

Works for all the other roms just fine but not at all for. Neo Geo. Can't even exit the game, have to reset the Pi.

You can try change the neogeo emulator (you access this config pressing the button in the prompt before each game start).

Okay, only two problems I'm having left with Pcsx-rearmed (non LR)

#1 and less important is i can't select a bios file. Not too huge, most games seem to be working fine with HLE.

#2 i can not get it to correctly assign directions on a DS4 controller. I can probably force it via manually entering config except I'm not sure where the non LR version of pcsx of hiding it's config file.

So close to having a working ps1 emulator setup on the pi zero! I can almost taste it.

Bloodember

Is it possible to set up an NES30 with RetroPie wirelessly with only the NES30?

If you already have bluetooth enabled, yes. If not you will at least need a keyboard to activate bluetooth. If no keyboard, plug the NES30 into it and turn bluetooth on. There are instructions on their site how to do this.

Boy, I am not a fan of the d-pad in the NES30. It registers diagonal and left and right inputs way too easily when I am pushing up and down. Could I open it up and replace the rubber contacts with those from a standard NES controller to fix that?

Qwark

I also finished my first Pi project! After months of procrastination, learning how to solder, and one melted powerboost chip, it actually works! Mostly anyway.

It's a Pocket PiGrrl from Adafruit. The case is supposed to glow in the dark, but the light from the screen prevents it from glowing, so I didn't really think that one through. I think I'll go with a translucent one for my next attempt.

I've got 3 problems I'm still trying to sort out.

1) No sound, I hope it's a setting that I'm missing somewhere, I think I soldered it correctly.

2) The up button causes the screen to turn off, and letting go makes the screen come back on, it does move the cursor though at least. There was a step to cut one of the leads on the screen that assigned a button to turn the screen on/off. Maybe I didn't cut that lead well enough.

3) The action buttons are iffy. My 3D print was a little uneven around the abxy buttons causing friction and my breadboard is a little on the small side so pushing these buttons can cause it to move around. I think I'm going to just redo the breadboard and file out the button holes so they fit better.

Overall, pretty fun project, and not an expert, but I think I have a handle on soldering now. Gonna take a break on this for a while (once I fix the above issues), but I'd like to make a PiGrrl 2 that uses a Pi 3 so that I can play PS1 games on the go.

I have a Raspberry Pi I use at the moment for video playing but the way it's set up it boots directly in to the video player (OSMC I think). Does Retropie do the same thing, or would it be possible to use the same Raspberry Pi for both apps? I mean I know it will, but I'm not sure how to install both and have a choice of which to boot in to at load up.

I would be getting a RPi 3 specifically for this, I wouldn't be using the old one so it would be a clean install.

Qwark

I have a Raspberry Pi I use at the moment for video playing but the way it's set up it boots directly in to the video player (OSMC I think). Does Retropie do the same thing, or would it be possible to use the same Raspberry Pi for both apps? I mean I know it will, but I'm not sure how to install both and have a choice of which to boot in to at load up.

I would be getting a RPi 3 specifically for this, I wouldn't be using the old one so it would be a clean install.

It would boot directly into Retropie. I think you can configure it to run multiple things and just boot into a desktop by default, but I couldn't get it to work very well. I think it would be easiest just to use separate SD cards.

It would boot directly into Retropie. I think you can configure it to run multiple things and just boot into a desktop by default, but I couldn't get it to work very well. I think it would be easiest just to use separate SD cards.
Using separate SDs sounds a bit fiddly, or inconvenient at least. Maybe I will just use one for each, since I'll have two any way. Thanks though.

ddikxela

On the pi3 the headphone jack carries video. I have a RetroPi setup in my car using composite cables.

Buy a cable thats compatible with Apple products because the Pi uses the same pole order on the 3.5mm jack.

I literally had a half dozen variants of this cable laying around my place from back in the day and I had to buy a 'new' one because of that :/

For anyone else that has cables lying around that dont show picture when plugged in you can always try plugging a different coloured plug into the video port before driving out to buying additional cables(as cheap as they are).

I think I have the red plug connected to my composite port to get picture.

Model-B-Plus-Audio-Video-Jack-Diagram.png

So I was stupid and used the default scraper. I deleted the scraped files but I ended up deleting the descriptions for the RetroPie menu screen too. How can I fix that?

JEKKI

grrr... frustrated rn... can anyone help me configure two controllers?

I've always used a USB saturn pad, but now I got a SNES pad I wanna add too, but I want to add it as player 1, and let the saturn pad be Player 2.

I can get the new pad configured no problem, but it defaults to Player 2 always!!

when I restart the Retropie with only the SNES controller plugged in, it's Player 1, but once I plug in the Saturn pad (without restarting the pi) it goes back to being Player 2.

how do I set one controller as P1 and the other P2??

JEKKI

I'm also trying to get Mame working...

why do some roms work (Bucky O Hare) while others kick you back to the selection screen (Cowboys of Moo Mesa).

I'm putting everything in the mame-libretro folder... do I need to do any additional configs??

Dizzy-4U

I'm also trying to get Mame working...

why do some roms work (Bucky O Hare) while others kick you back to the selection screen (Cowboys of Moo Mesa).

I'm putting everything in the mame-libretro folder... do I need to do any additional configs??
Mame is a bit tricky because there are a lot of mame versions and all of them require specific roms to work.

I think, by default, the emulator is mame-2003 so you need the specific rom for that version (0.78).

I'd suggest reading the doc since it could be quite confusing: https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Arcade/

Weird issue:

My girlfriend and I are playing Road Rash three on Genesis on my pi setup with Recalbox. Every single time we qualify for all 5 races on level 2 to head to level 3 it doesn't move up to level 3. Anyone got any idea? Bad rom dump maybe?

Mindman

So I started fresh with RetroPie 4.2 after wanting to start over with my 4.1 install. 4.2 emulation is stuttery by comparison... like the side scrolling in games just isn't smooth like it was in 4.1. Are there any fixes for this? I'm running all default configs on a Pi 3b. I'd like to stay on the latest version if at possible.

Top Bottom