• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

Any vids or docs on how to configure things for the lowest input lag on the nes emulator? I'm making a setup for a friend who may notice a fraction of a second delay in things like Tecmo Super Bowl.

Dizzy-4U

Any vids or docs on how to configure things for the lowest input lag on the nes emulator? I'm making a setup for a friend who may notice a fraction of a second delay in things like Tecmo Super Bowl.
Do you know your way around retroarch?

- Disable threaded video <------ (This was the big one for me, reduced input latency by a lot).

- Change graphic driver to Dispmanx

- Use a wired controller.

Edit: I think you can use the "configuration editor" inside the retropie options to set these values to default.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Configuration-Editor

For the life of me I can not get SFIII Third Strike to work on my RP3. I think I'm doing something wrong.

You have to use libretro FBA Next I believe. I also think you have to have a specific version, one that has all the data in a single .zip file.

I got mine to work. PM me if you are still having problems.

zoodoo

For the life of me I can not get SFIII Third Strike to work on my RP3. I think I'm doing something wrong.

You are probably running the wrong rom version. i had the same issue with most arcade games until I found the right rom versions, then everything worked perfectly.

zoodoo

i am still in love with my pi3 + retropie. I have been playing soul blazers and just finished it. It's so nice to play those games on an HD tv and find that they still look very good. I just launched lufia on snes and damn, it looks really nice even with the default shader.

Thanks for this. I'll be playing around with these settings next time I'm on tinkering.

Do you know your way around retroarch?

- Disable threaded video <------ (This was the big one for me, reduced input latency by a lot).

- Change graphic driver to Dispmanx

- Use a wired controller.

Edit: I think you can use the "configuration editor" inside the retropie options to set these values to default.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Configuration-Editor

Dishwalla

Banned
So I'm trying to set up RetroPie and have gotten to the point where you are supposed to load ROMs, but I am stuck on a configuration screen. I am past the point of configuring a controller, but I try to add Roms and nothing happens. I am at a screen that looks similar to this:
c6bbdb3a-3734-11e6-998f-8cc714a320ce.png

except there are two Retropie logos on either side of the center one, and where it says "13 games available" it says configuration. I am trying to add ROMs via USB as described here, but it's not working. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Bloodember

So I'm trying to set up RetroPie and have gotten to the point where you are supposed to load ROMs, but I am stuck on a configuration screen. I am past the point of configuring a controller, but I try to add Roms and nothing happens. I am at a screen that looks similar to this:

except there are two Retropie logos on either side of the center one, and where it says "13 games available" it says configuration. I am trying to add ROMs via USB as described here, but it's not working. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Did you restart the Pi after you put the USB drive in? That's seems to be the only way I can get ROM's to load anyway.

elguero

All of my components just came in! Super excited to get this set up later today. My friends are thrilled at the idea of playing Mario Kart with wireless controllers &#128540;

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a bit frustrated. I followed the instructions in the OP and everything worked fine, but I decided to do a fresh install with the full version of Raspian and now the hotkeys won't work at all in any of the emulators. For that reason, I can't exit out of any of the roms once I've launched them. I tried messing with the input settings in retroarch, but none of the hot keys work at all. I'm frustrated because this worked fine before, and I just wanted to mess around in Linux as well. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a bit frustrated. I followed the instructions in the OP and everything worked fine, but I decided to do a fresh install with the full version of Raspian and now the hotkeys won't work at all in any of the emulators. For that reason, I can't exit out of any of the roms once I've launched them. I tried messing with the input settings in retroarch, but none of the hot keys work at all. I'm frustrated because this worked fine before, and I just wanted to mess around in Linux as well. Any help would be much appreciated.
Go into the controller configuration in emulation station (press start where you'd choose emulator or rom) and make sure you have the "hotkey" button set correctly. It's default on whatever your controllers select button is.

Go into the controller configuration in emulation station (press start where you'd choose emulator or rom) and make sure you have the "hotkey" button set correctly. It's default on whatever your controllers select button is.

Ok, thanks. I'll try it when I get a chance.

Edit: does that mean I need to press the hotkey button to enable hotkeys? I don't remember that option before, but I was running an older version of retropie

deadfolk

Ok, thanks. I'll try it when I get a chance.

Edit: does that mean I need to press the hotkey button to enable hotkeys? I don't remember that option before, but I was running an older version of retropie

Well I've only just set up mine, but with my PS3 controller I have to hold down the PS button and press start to exit a rom.

Intel_89

I set up a pi 2b yesterday with retropie 4.2, most of what I've tried seems to work perfectly but I was wondering if anyone knows if Micromachines 2 supports 4-players if I plug 4 usb controllers to the system.

I don't have that many controllers to try this out but if it was possible it would be great for meet ups with friends!

I set up a pi 2b yesterday with retropie 4.2, most of what I've tried seems to work perfectly but I was wondering if anyone knows if Micromachines 2 supports 4-players if I plug 4 usb controllers to the system.

I don't have that many controllers to try this out but if it was possible it would be great for meet ups with friends!

As long as the emulator supports multitap (i think all that can, do) it's not a problem.

enewtabie

Getting my pi 3 delivered today. Decided I wanted to put together a barcade cabinet for the new house we are moving to in August. Gotta figure out the artwork,but excited to start working on the pi.

eso76

Just a quick question.
I was wondering if it is possible to connect the raspberry pi to an ultimate jpac interface.

Some guy I know has a MAME cabinet with a really old pc inside that he had to fiddle around with to get to work with the CRT monitor and interface. Especially the monitor (I think he had to install some unofficial firmware for the GPU to handle the right frequency for the monitor).

I'm going to buy the cabinet from him and I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the old pc with a pi.

Dizzy-4U

PSA: Latest EmulationStation update for Retropie adds "Favorites", "Last Played" and "All" to the main menu. I've been testing them and they work perfectly.

Fularu

Banned
So I tried FBA on the pie 3b over the weekend

Most games ran like crap (with Taiden 2 and Raiden DX beeing unplayable with how slooooowwww they were).

Now I had a CRT filter going on, I'll try disabling it, is it really that taxing on the pie?

Also the unit keeps asking me to setup my controller whenever I start it which gets super annoying (not to mention that it fails to register half of the button inputs of my TE2+ fightstick for PS4 or almost all of my Hori Hayabusa fightstick for the xbone).

So far my experience is a prety disapponting one (albeit not too expensive at about 90$ cnd)

ScOULaris

PSA: Latest EmulationStation update for Retropie adds "Favorites", "Last Played" and "All" to the main menu. I've been testing them and they work perfectly.
Can I just update Emulation Station through the package manager without issue? I'm running on a slightly older version of Retropie (I think 4.0).

Also, it shouldn't affect any of my per-core or per-game configs right?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm always wary of causing issues with my build because it's set up exactly how I want it currently.

So I tried FBA on the pie 3b over the weekend

Most games ran like crap (with Taiden 2 and Raiden DX beeing unplayable with how slooooowwww they were).

Now I had a CRT filter going on, I'll try disabling it, is it really that taxing on the pie?

Also the unit keeps asking me to setup my controller whenever I start it which gets super annoying (not to mention that it fails to register half of the button inputs of my TE2+ fightstick for PS4 or almost all of my Hori Hayabusa fightstick for the xbone).

So far my experience is a prety disapponting one (albeit not too expensive at about 90$ cnd)
It's probably the filter you're using. Most of them aren't made with the pi in mind.

Try using the crt-pi filter instead. All FBA games should run perfectly with that.

Dizzy-4U

Can I just update Emulation Station through the package manager without issue? I'm running on a slightly older version of Retropie (I think 4.0).

Also, it shouldn't affect any of my per-core or per-game configs right?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm always wary of causing issues with my build because it's set up exactly how I want it currently.
I updated retropie a couple of times and it didn't touch any of the configs. It just updated the emulators and plugins to the latest version. Everything else was left intact.

The way I did it now, was to just update the emulationstation frontend alone instead of the whole package.

So I went Retropie Setup ---> Manage Packages ---> Manage Core Packages ---> EmulationStation ---> update from binary.

It updates EmulationStation to 2.4.0.

ScOULaris

I updated retropie a couple of times and it didn't touch any of the configs. It just updated the emulators and plugins to the latest version. Everything else was left intact.

The way I did it now, was to just update the emulationstation frontend alone instead of the whole package.

So I went Retropie Setup ---> Manage Packages ---> Manage Core Packages ---> EmulationStation ---> update from binary.

It updates EmulationStation to 2.4.0.
Okay, that's what I figured. Thanks for the clarification.

Got rasp 3 yesterday and setting up retropie was quite easy. Works very nicely! I wonder if there are any "the best" settings for snes and ps1. 4:3 aspect ratio and crt-pi-curved shader looked nice, but couldn't find setting for integer scaling which is mentioned a lot. Have to tinker around more when I get the time.

ScOULaris

Got rasp 3 yesterday and setting up retropie was quite easy. Works very nicely! I wonder if there are any "the best" settings for snes and ps1. 4:3 aspect ratio and crt-pi-curved shader looked nice, but couldn't find setting for integer scaling which is mentioned a lot. Have to tinker around more when I get the time.
I use all of the 1080p presets included in Floob's video manager script.

https://github.com/biscuits99/rp-video-manager

They all have borders to emulate either a retro TV or handhelds and preset filters, integer scaling and positioning. Looks perfect to me.

BONUS: The overlays included in that have built-in scanlines, so there's no impact to performance like you'd get with shaders.

Fularu

Banned
So I managed to fix the slowdown issues on my Pi.. but not completely. They come from the Pi accessing the SD Card and writing on it at random times.

Any way to disable that? Also for some strange reason, my WiiU Pro Controller is perfectly recognized but it just won't register my hotkey button when I press it (despite it beeing configured with the tool).

Can't find anything online about that. It kind of sucks to have to turn off and back on the unit to switch games.

Harlock

A little advice if you connected the PS3 controller by bluetooth: you need remove the driver to install another bluetooth controller, like the Snes30.

I also had to edit the 8Bitdo SNES30 GamePad.cfg file because the controller worked in emulationstation, but the buttons was wrong with games. Used the config here:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/8Bitdo-Controller

Retropie is like PC from the 80s/90s, everything is magic, everything is possible, everything don't work in the first try.

btrboyev

Was looking for this myself, but all I saw was a $5 discount on the Pi case that looks like an NES. :p

Don't buy it. Actually don't buy any acrylic or plastic case. The Pi3 runs hot. Buy an aluminum case like the flirc. The entire case acts as a heat sink.

How hard is it to set this up? Is it better to buy a kit like this one https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Starter-Kit/dp/B01C6Q2GSY/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1499874752&sr=1-4&keywords=raspberry+pi+3? I am pretty bad at setting up hardware.

Also, any recommendations for a wireless controller?

There really is no hardware to "setup". It's all one board. Those kits just gather a few niceties together for people who either don't have a charger or don't want to get the pieces together themselves.

There's nothing wrong with the kits per see if all you want any to do is get emulation station up and running, but part of the fun with the pi's is how customizable and how you can tweak every part of the package including the case and software.

Kerrinck

There really is no hardware to "setup". It's all one board. Those kits just gather a few niceties together for people who either don't have a charger or don't want to get the pieces together themselves.

There's nothing wrong with the kits per see if all you want any to do is get emulation station up and running, but part of the fun with the pi's is how customizable and how you can tweak every part of the package including the case and software.

Do they work as media centers as well? Netflix and XBMC more specifically.

How hard is it to set this up? Is it better to buy a kit like this one https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Starter-Kit/dp/B01C6Q2GSY/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1499874752&sr=1-4&keywords=raspberry+pi+3? I am pretty bad at setting up hardware.

Also, any recommendations for a wireless controller?
I have this very case on my old Pi 2 and it's not bad certainly does the job. I have this case with my Pi 3 and love it, it's kinda sexy!

Do they work as media centers as well? Netflix and XBMC more specifically.
This is exactly what I use mine for, so absolutely.

Really there's very little to set up. If you want to use it for XBMC, you can just download one of the packs, install it on to the SD card and it does all the work for you. I think I used this tutorial as a guide, it was really simple.

RedBoot

Don't buy it. Actually don't buy any acrylic or plastic case. The Pi3 runs hot. Buy an aluminum case like the flirc. The entire case acts as a heat sink.

Oh, I didn't. Just noticed it was the only "Prime Day" deal. I got a kit, so I'll be using one of the standard plastic cases for now, but I'll look into an aluminum one down the line, particularly if I start doing anything heavier on the CPU.

Bloodember

Would anyone here recommend this?

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA3525527084

Sale ends in a few days, but I'm not entirely sure if it's worth it. It would be the first one I own and I'm hoping either it's good or I can get recommended something else.

If you want a 7" touch screen, I don't see anything wrong with it. The only thing is the screen is only 1024×600. Which I believe many 7" screens for the Pi are that resolution.

jluedtke

It took some time, but we finally finished our arcade coffee table using oak, a Raspberry Pi, HD TV, and parts from FocusAttack.com. It was a project with my son, and we wanted to make it as much of a functional piece of furniture as possible. Here it is...

DEzt9pwXgAA-_jP.jpg

DEzt9rVXcAAQex_.jpg

DEzt9s7XsAI1zWM.jpg

We have a couple minor adjustments to make, but it turned out pretty much exactly how we hoped.

I hope you guys like it!

I use all of the 1080p presets included in Floob's video manager script.

https://github.com/biscuits99/rp-video-manager

They all have borders to emulate either a retro TV or handhelds and preset filters, integer scaling and positioning. Looks perfect to me.

BONUS: The overlays included in that have built-in scanlines, so there's no impact to performance like you'd get with shaders.

This looks pretty cool. Is there anything to scrape up all the appropriate overlays and such though?

ScOULaris

This looks pretty cool. Is there anything to scrape up all the appropriate overlays and such though?

You just install that Video Manager on your Retropie setup and then run it. From there you can install and apply all of the overlays and/or shaders that have been pre-configured there to simulate that authentic CRT look.

Here's an example of how the default overlay and shaders look for Super Mario World on my TV.

oni-link

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a SNES Mini, but I was wondering if a it's a concept I could pretty much replicate with a Raspberry Pi, so basically I have a few questions:

1) Could I essentially build a Pi that plugs into my TV and lets me play NES/SNES/GBA games with a USB controller?

2) Is there anywhere that sells this kind of thing, or would I need to learn how to do this from scratch?

3) How difficult would doing this be for someone who has never even built a PC before?

Thanks in advance

Top Bottom