• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

Ecto311

Maybe a dumb question but would the rp3 have an easier time with games on a smaller lower res lcd monitor vs 1080p? Thinking about building an arcade machine and wondering if it's a better route than wide screen.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I'm partial to this model personally. Matches my original unit from when I was a kid.

IMG_20170725_181207_1.jpg

Definitely wish I had gotten in when they were that cheap.

Wow. They were 10 bucks at one point?! I got a couple when they were 20 bucks, and thought that was a great price.

The Sega Genesis Mini is fantastic. I can play Sega Genesis games, Sega CD games, Sega Master System games, and some Sega arcade games damn near flawlessly. It really is awesome. I can't wait to have it sitting next to an SNES Mini.

danyboypremier

Neo Member
Anybody else had this?
Also a big issue would also be media storage for a Rasperry Pi/NUC style HTPC no? Really don't want to have a NAS device as well.

Maybe I don't understand the question, but you can put an external hard drive on it. I use mine like a seed box, with an external hard drive.

Random questions about a passing fancy of an idea, does the Pi 3 run as long as it's plugged in (auto-correct, basically)? And is it possible to get it to boot without showing any signs that it's a Pi booting? Or to boot directly into a single emulated game through RetroArch/RetroPie without going into a menu or OS/shell?

Thinking about making a custom arcade cabinet but don't really want to make it obvious that that's how it's being done.

Random questions about a passing fancy of an idea, does the Pi 3 run as long as it's plugged in (auto-correct, basically)? And is it possible to get it to boot without showing any signs that it's a Pi booting? Or to boot directly into a single emulated game through RetroArch/RetroPie without going into a menu or OS/shell?

Thinking about making a custom arcade cabinet but don't really want to make it obvious that that's how it's being done.

Yes on both. If you want to get fancy you can put a coin slot on it and even get it to accept quarters for credits in games.

Do note that all takes a little bit of extra tinkering though.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
My modded Xbox original is dying out. I bought a PS4 controller with the pic USB Bluetooth thing. Does that work? I also have a Wii U pro controller which inhace heard works great.

My modded Xbox original is dying out. I bought a PS4 controller with the pic USB Bluetooth thing. Does that work? I also have a Wii U pro controller which inhace heard works great.

You don't need that with a ds4. Connected mine wireless within a minute or two. Assuming a pi3 or pi0w

danyboypremier

Neo Member

On Pi3. The setup for my WiiU controller was easy, but don't know why, I got input delay.

oni-link

How difficult would you say setting up a wireless controller with a Pi?

Thinking about getting the 8Bitdo NES30 Pro Wireless Controller

Probably gonna order my Pi tonight, but still on the fence over which controller to get

Edit: I just ordered a Pi, this will be the first PC I've ever built!

How difficult would you say setting up a wireless controller with a Pi?

Thinking about getting the 8Bitdo NES30 Pro Wireless Controller

Probably gonna order my Pi tonight, but still on the fence over which controller to get

Edit: I just ordered a Pi, this will be the first PC I've ever built!

PS3, PS4, Wii U Pro all work with the Pi 3 out of the box since it has BT.

The 8BitDo will work with it just fine as well.

However, everything I've read, the Wii U Pro is the way to go if you already have one somewhere.

oni-link

PS3, PS4, Wii U Pro all work with the Pi 3 out of the box since it has BT.

The 8BitDo will work with it just fine as well.

However, everything I've read, the Wii U Pro is the way to go if you already have one somewhere.

I do have one, so I don't need anything else to set it up, no wireless adaptor or anything?

Will i need to somehow get it disassociated from my Wii U? I don't want my Wii U to switch on when I'm using my Pi

Trogdor1123

Hi folks, I want to build a retropi system but I'm really not good at all with this stuff. In fact I'm really technologically illiterate.

I'd want something super easy to use, as in boots from the controller like the ps4 and has an access menu like the new super nes.

Would this be possible with a raspberry?

Fredrik

Hi folks, I want to build a retropi system but I'm really not good at all with this stuff. In fact I'm really technologically illiterate.

I'd want something super easy to use, as in boots from the controller like the ps4 and has an access menu like the new super nes.

Would this be possible with a raspberry?
Absolutely! :) Put the RetroPie image on a micro SD card using online guides, connect a USB controller and a TV/monitor with HDMI and start it up. You'll be advised to map the controller buttons at the start menu. Then there are guides on the net how to transfer games to it. It's really not difficult. Just Google whatever problem you have and you'll find a solution, the RPi community is very helpful.
In the end you'll probably invest more time on it, making it perfect for you, just because you can and because it's fun. The stock RetroPie appearance and funcionality is still great though.

Not sure if you can boot from the controller though? But you can just leave it powered on, I have several Pi's which are always connected and powered up.

Trogdor1123

Absolutely! :) Put the RetroPie image on a micro SD card using online guides, connect a USB controller and a TV/monitor with HDMI and start it up. You'll be advised to map the controller buttons at the start menu. Then there are guides on the net how to transfer games to it. It's really not difficult. Just Google whatever problem you have and you'll find a solution, the RPi community is very helpful.
In the end you'll probably invest more time on it, making it perfect for you, just because you can and because it's fun. The stock RetroPie appearance and funcionality is still great though.

Not sure if you can boot from the controller though? But you can just leave it powered on, I have several Pi's which are always connected and powered up.
Sounds pretty good but I was definitely hoping to find a way to get it to boot from a controller. As the unit and my chair are pretty far apart (or rather, will be).

ZeroCoin

Sounds pretty good but I was definitely hoping to find a way to get it to boot from a controller. As the unit and my chair are pretty far apart (or rather, will be).

It's such a low power draw that most people just leave it running all the time, no booting needed. If you really wanted to turn it off and on, you could always hook it up to some kind of power strip or even a smart outlet that you could remotely control. When the pi gets power, it boots. Clearly not as clean as always listening for a power on signal.

From looking over reported power usage from some various sources...

PS4 in rest mode uses 10W
PS4 off uses .3W
Pi3 idling uses 1.4W

I do have one, so I don't need anything else to set it up, no wireless adaptor or anything?

Will i need to somehow get it disassociated from my Wii U? I don't want my Wii U to switch on when I'm using my Pi

The Pi3 has WiFi and BT. No adapter needed. I'm not sure how BT profiles work, it's probably dependent on the device, someone else in the thread might be of more help.

Yes. Each controller is recognized on a different port

Cool, you just plugged in the adapter and it worked? No extra anything from github or such?

I have 2 snes30 8bitdo controllers working on my pi3 just fine.

I just haven't been able to find a definitive answer re: 2 Wii U Pro controllers specifically.

Fredrik

It's such a low power draw that most people just leave it running all the time, no booting needed. If you really wanted to turn it off and on, you could always hook it up to some kind of power strip or even a smart outlet that you could remotely control. When the pi gets power, it boots. Clearly not as clean as always listening for a power on signal.

PS4 off uses .3W
Pi3 idling uses 1.4W
Yup I have all my Pi's powered on all the time. For the arcade Pi I just turn on the monitor and the Pi is instantly there ready for action. Can't get better than that!

Trogdor1123

PS4 off uses .3W
Pi3 idling uses 1.4W

While not the controller itself, you can always get one of those remote power switches relatively cheaply since the Pi will turn on as soon as it gets power.
Oh that's perfect then. I actually have my TV and electronics on a switch that sends power once any ir frequencies are received. What is boot time on a 3? Any issue with it corrupting somehow when the power is cut off?

oni-link

The Pi3 has WiFi and BT. No adapter needed. I'm not sure how BT profiles work, it's probably dependent on the device, someone else in the thread might be of more help.

Thanks

I've watched a few set up vids and most people seem to do the initial set up with a keyboard and a wired controller, so I'm a little worried that if I get a wireless controller it won't be enough to get me set up

btrboyev

Maybe a dumb question but would the rp3 have an easier time with games on a smaller lower res lcd monitor vs 1080p? Thinking about building an arcade machine and wondering if it's a better route than wide screen.

it doesn't really make a difference. Games run well at 1080p. If you want to use attract mode, it runs way better at 720p

btrboyev

Recently got one of these are there any decent N64, Nes, Megadrive USB controllers you can use with this

Foget about N64 emulation on the Pi. It's not good enough to consider. It's not he hardwares fault. N64 emulators for retro arch suck ass and are not optimized well for non PC hardware.

Thanks

I've watched a few set up vids and most people seem to do the initial set up with a keyboard and a wired controller, so I'm a little worried that if I get a wireless controller it won't be enough to get me set up

Oh yah sorry, you'll need to use a USB keyboard and mouse to get to the point where you can attach a wireless controller to the Pi.

Oh that's perfect then. I actually have my TV and electronics on a switch that sends power once any ir frequencies are received. What is boot time on a 3? Any issue with it corrupting somehow when the power is cut off?

Couldn't tell you the boot time on a 3 since I only have a zero w. No, there is no chance of an issue with the power cutting off as long as you properly shut down the system from the menu, just like you would any PC.

Trogdor1123

Is there a good guide for noobs on how to make something equivalent to a snes classic? Or at least very close. I want to see if I can do it before ordering.

Also, does a wireless 360 controller work out of the box?

Is there going to be a raspberry pi 4 soon? Should I wait?

For those of you using Dualshock 4's wirelessly, how long have you had your controllers? According to this, newer DS4 bluetooth doesn't work without extra trickery. We got our controllers in late 2016 and they do not run out of the box. And installing ds4drv proved to be a waste of time - our DS4's can connect now but the latency is unreal. We ended up buying a few really long usb cables.

Fularu

Banned
Is there a good guide for noobs on how to make something equivalent to a snes classic? Or at least very close. I want to see if I can do it before ordering.

Also, does a wireless 360 controller work out of the box?

Is there going to be a raspberry pi 4 soon? Should I wait?

2019 at the earliest for a Pi4

oni-link

Oops sorry, no mouse. You definitely need a keyboard tho.

I can use my PCs keyboard, then I'll try and do the initial set it up with a USB connected DS3, then once that's done, I should be able to use the Pi's bluetooth to set up an 8Bitdo NES30 Pro Wireless Controller

That should work, right?

For those of you using Dualshock 4's wirelessly, how long have you had your controllers? According to this, newer DS4 bluetooth doesn't work without extra trickery. We got our controllers in late 2016 and they do not run out of the box. And installing ds4drv proved to be a waste of time - our DS4's can connect now but the latency is unreal. We ended up buying a few really long usb cables.

I don't think this is actually true... It's the theory that new ones have issues... but my DS4 that came with my PRO worked perfectly out of the box with my Pi Zero W. I think it really is just more luck of the draw.

Top Bottom