• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

zoodoo

What's the menu button for n64 emulator (using mupen 64)?
I am using a snes30 and for all the other emulators it's SELECT + X but that does not work for n64.

Chanc3r

Neo Member
Is there a recommended button mapping for MAME?

I'm using an NES30 Pro and the default can be cumbersome, with most 3 button games using X, Y and B and ignoring A. I realise this is simple to change, just wondered if there was a recommended config that would, for example, always have jump and attack mapped to the same buttons?

Debating on getting a Pi 3 right now as I have $40 credit to use on Google Express (thank you groupon!) and buy a Pi 3 at Frys.

I'm mostly new to setting up a Pi, but is there any tips or info I should know before diving in to making a gaming setup?

MRORANGE

Debating on getting a Pi 3 right now as I have $40 credit to use on Google Express (thank you groupon!) and buy a Pi 3 at Frys.

I'm mostly new to setting up a Pi, but is there any tips or info I should know before diving in to making a gaming setup?

nope, just jump in and just go with the flow, its pretty easy really.

oni-link

I'm still having issues getting PS1 games to work, do I leave the PS1 roms in a Zip file in the rom folder, and then just add a bios file to the bois folder?

NeoGeo titles are showing on the Pi but the games don't load, even with the bios in the bios folder

I'm still having issues getting PS1 games to work, do I leave the PS1 roms in a Zip file in the rom folder, and then just add a bios file to the bois folder?

NeoGeo titles are showing on the Pi but the games don't load, even with the bios in the bios folder
I think NeoGeo games need to be in zip files while PS1 I just had loose in folders by memory

amnesiac

You have to unzip the PS1 roms. You usually get two or three files, a bin and a cue (depends on the game), so put those in the PS1 roms folder. It won't work if you keep them zipped. Yes, just add the PS1 bios to the bios folder.

Neo-Geo and arcade is trickier because you have to have the exact rom version that works with the emulator. Look at this: https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Neo-Geo. I assume you're using lr-fbalpha, so you have to find the FB Alpha v0.2.97.40 roms for it. Neogeo roms stay zipped btw.

Got the Bluetooth 8bitdo SNES pad today. This plus retropie is now my ultimate retro setup. As cool as original hardware is this is just way more convenient. Tiny box and no wires. Love it.

Videospel

I got a Pi 3 yesterday and set it up with RetroPie. Pretty neat! I already had Retroarch installed on my PS3, but this is more convenient and quiet.

I also really like the scraping feature to get metadata on roms. It's not very good at choosing the correct title for a certain rom though, Sonic gets the metadata of Sonic 2 and things like that. I guess there is no better way to scrape for metadata than to use the included function? Going through each rom manually is not an option either.

EDIT
I found this guy's list https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic...for-popular-systems-covers-challenge-accepted

I got a Pi 3 yesterday and set it up with RetroPie. Pretty neat! I already had Retroarch installed on my PS3, but this is more convenient and quiet.

I also really like the scraping feature to get metadata on roms. It's not very good at choosing the correct title for a certain rom though, Sonic gets the metadata of Sonic 2 and things like that. I guess there is no better way to scrape for metadata than to use the included function? Going through each rom manually is not an option either.

I'm considering plugging my keyboard back in to sort out that stuff. It seems to be very picky with exact naming.

Harlock

Having a USB keyboard in the house is very useful sometimes. Yesterday I have to run a command line because the Retropie lost permission to write the config file when you change the default emulator for a specific rom (very common in arcade games).

ScOULaris

EDIT
I found this guy's list https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic...for-popular-systems-covers-challenge-accepted

The included scraper is not very good. Use sselph's scraper instead with the -use_nointro_name=false flag.

See more about it here:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Scraper

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

I ripped my PSX games as bin and cue files, then put them in the PSX roms folder. Works great.

Having a USB keyboard in the house is very useful sometimes. Yesterday I have to run a command line because the Retropie lost permission to write the config file when you change the default emulator for a specific rom (very common in arcade games).

Yeah I have one of those small Logitech wireless keyboards with the usb dongle. Not something for typing an essay on but great for this.

Having so much fun this afternoon with this thing. I haven't found a great wireless solution for games that use analogue sticks, DS4 seems way too intermittent. So I'm just going to buy a 10 foot usb extender for that stuff and do it wired.

Don't think I'll be doing much PS1 or N64 on this but you never know. It's like £5 anyway.

Videospel

I accidentally deleted the NES config files. Can these be downloaded somewhere without reinstalling the entire system?
Otherwise, if someone could just pastebin the contents of emulators.cfg and retroarch.cfg from their NES config folder I would really appreciate it!

EDIT
Went to the terminal, entered setup and updated all main packages, that did the trick.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Will the wireless Xbox 360 controller work on retropi out of the box? Does it need the dongle? Or use without? Every guide uses a wired one but doesn't state it's required

oni-link

You have to unzip the PS1 roms. You usually get two or three files, a bin and a cue (depends on the game), so put those in the PS1 roms folder. It won't work if you keep them zipped. Yes, just add the PS1 bios to the bios folder.

Neo-Geo and arcade is trickier because you have to have the exact rom version that works with the emulator. Look at this: https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Neo-Geo. I assume you're using lr-fbalpha, so you have to find the FB Alpha v0.2.97.40 roms for it. Neogeo roms stay zipped btw.

Im trying that re:pS1 games now, I'll let you know how it goes

I'm really lost with the NeoGeo files, I have a bios (in the bios folder) and roms in Zip files in the neogeo folder, they just wont load

ScOULaris

Im trying that re:pS1 games now, I'll let you know how it goes

I'm really lost with the NeoGeo files, I have a bios (in the bios folder) and roms in Zip files in the neogeo folder, they just wont load

Put the neogeo.zip BIOS file in the neogeo ROMs folder.

Also, make sure you have the right neogeo.zip. Sometimes the file can be incomplete.

oni-link

Put the neogeo.zip BIOS file in the neogeo ROMs folder.

Also, make sure you have the right neogeo.zip. Sometimes the file can be incomplete.

Does the PS1 bios file go in the bios folder or the PS1 rom folder?

My Neogeo bios is also in a zip folder, I'll try moving it over

I use all of the 1080p presets included in Floob's video manager script.

https://github.com/biscuits99/rp-video-manager

They all have borders to emulate either a retro TV or handhelds and preset filters, integer scaling and positioning. Looks perfect to me.

BONUS: The overlays included in that have built-in scanlines, so there's no impact to performance like you'd get with shaders.

Can anyone help me with this? I downloaded, unzipped and run v1.2 of the videomanager on my pi3 with retropie 4.2 but it won't work. When I want to install the required files within the videomanager, i always get this:

ksptxP5.jpg

I've followed the github descripton to install the zip on my pi. I run the videomanager.sh from /home/pi/rp-video-manager/

ScOULaris

Can anyone help me with this? I downloaded, unzipped and run v1.2 of the videomanager on my pi3 with retropie 4.2 but it won't work. When I want to install the required files within the videomanager, i always get this:

http://i.imgur.com/ksptxP5.jpg

I've followed the github descripton to install the zip on my pi. I run the videomanager.sh from /home/pi/rp-video-manager/

Did you run all of these commands?

Code:
wget https://github.com/biscuits99/rp-video-manager/releases/download/{release-number}/rp-video-manager.zip
unzip -o rp-video-manager.zip
rm rp-video-manager.zip
cd /home/pi/rp-video-manager
chmod 755 videomanager.sh
./videomanager.sh

From your screenshot it looks like you might have already installed the files successfully. Try applying your overlays and or shaders from the previous menu now, restart your Pi, and see if they've applied.

Did you run all of these commands?

Code:
wget https://github.com/biscuits99/rp-video-manager/releases/download/{release-number}/rp-video-manager.zip
unzip -o rp-video-manager.zip
rm rp-video-manager.zip
cd /home/pi/rp-video-manager
chmod 755 videomanager.sh
./videomanager.sh

From your screenshot it looks like you might have already installed the files successfully. Try applying your overlays and or shaders from the previous menu now, restart your Pi, and see if they've applied.

Yes, I've run all of these commands. The overlays and shaders are definatly not there. When I try to apply the overlays in the video manager I get the same file/directory not found errors. Can't choose any of it in retroarch either.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
No, Xbox 360 controllers use a proprietary wireless signal, not bluetooth.
But with the dongle will it work right away? Or should I go Xbox one?

Also, any audio issues with ff6? Retroarch on vita didn't play the sounds properly and if this is the same I think I'll pass

Man, I have spent the entire day trying to get a plex server up and running on RP3. I got a long ways after running into a multitude of errors. But, it does not like my hard drive. I can't get it to auto-mount at start, and after it is disconnected once, I have only managed to get it to reconnect one time without burning down and starting over. Going to bed, gonna bang my head against it some more tomorrow and see if I get anywhere.

Bloodember

Also, any audio issues with ff6? Retroarch on vita didn't play the sounds properly and if this is the same I think I'll pass

I have no idea, I don't think it has the drivers, you will have to try it. If you go Xbox One, make sure it's the newest one with Bluetooth.

Dizzy-4U

The Xbox 360 dongle works with no issues. I connected 4 wireless controllers and played multiplayer with friends. You don't need to install anything, plug it in and it works.

TriAceJP

The 360 controllers are bad so do yourself a favour and get the Bluetooth enabled One controller. World of difference.

If you would like I can test out the dongle for the 360 if that's really the way you want to go.

Try a different core. SNES2010 has worked the best on the RP3 for me.

deadfolk

Man, I have spent the entire day trying to get a plex server up and running on RP3. I got a long ways after running into a multitude of errors. But, it does not like my hard drive. I can't get it to auto-mount at start, and after it is disconnected once, I have only managed to get it to reconnect one time without burning down and starting over. Going to bed, gonna bang my head against it some more tomorrow and see if I get anywhere.

I had similar problems and I think it turned out to be power related. How are you powering the drive?

oni-link

I've managed to get some PS1 games working, but some are not working and I can't really tell why some work and some don't, also some are in a folder in the PS1 ROM folder and work, and I'm wondering if this matters or not

Also on my main TV the SNES games look a little wider than the NES titles, does the NES has a different aspect ratio or does the default SNES emulator stretch the image a little?

I can't answer definitively but I think it's something to do with CRTs having rectangle shaped pixels?

But if you press select + Y (top face button) mid game, go to quick settings then options you can force to 4:3 in NES

oni-link

I can't answer definitively but I think it's something to do with CRTs having rectangle shaped pixels?

But if you press select + Y (top face button) mid game, go to quick settings then options you can force to 4:3 in NES

I just don't want the games to be stretched, if they didn't render in 4:3 on the OG hardware, then that's fine, and the SNES games do look good, I just would rather play the games looking as the developer intended for them to look

Looking into it online NES is best at 8:7. But according to this link SNES gets complicated as they tried to account for it in game development https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/43-87-aspect-ratio-correction-for-snes/

So I guess do what makes you happy?

I think essentially 8:7 is pixel perfect but 4:3 is actually how we played it back then, or is that wrong? Someone more clever can correct me. As long as you aren't stretching 16:9 I can let you off.

I had similar problems and I think it turned out to be power related. How are you powering the drive?

The pi itself? A good 2.5a supply. Keyboard and mouse going to a powered USB hub. External drive also running off it's own power.

There are so many different sets of instructions out there on how to do it, and I've tried a billion of them. Every time I run into a different problem. At one point I had it completely up and running, but I restarted and then it absolutely refused to mount my drive again. It would see it listed if I told it to show me everything, but it wouldn't actually show up as a usable mounted device, just that it was plugged in. Just did another run this morning, and at the end I hit a black screen on boot. So, I'm done for the day. Gonna play some Splatoon 2 then go hang out at a friends. One day spent on it was enough. I'll try again tomorrow or Monday when I'm off.

Looking into it online NES is best at 8:7. But according to this link SNES gets complicated as they tried to account for it in game development https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/43-87-aspect-ratio-correction-for-snes/

So I guess do what makes you happy?

I think essentially 8:7 is pixel perfect but 4:3 is actually how we played it back then, or is that wrong? Someone more clever can correct me. As long as you aren't stretching 16:9 I can let you off.

This is exactly correct. The SNES and NES both used a 256x224 resolution by default (8:7) stretched to 4:3. But it gets complicated for a few reasons. #1: SNES didn't actually use a fixed resolution. Quite a few games had slightly different resolutions or even switched resolutions for certain things (Secret of Mana and SD3 uses Hi-res 512x224 mode whenever text appears to make text easier to read. This is still squished down to a 4:3 aspect ratio on your TV).

As for "how the developers intended"... that's also complicated. Many developers took the time to account for the 8:7 stretched to 4:3. Many others however, didn't. So by large, the result is inconsistent.

The link above in Johnny's post shows wonderfully just how inconsistent it can be.

So TLDR is simply Nintendo didn't have a standard that developers had to adhere to, so 4:3 and 8:7 is inconsistent between, and sometimes within the same, games. So go with what looks best to you. I personally waffle back and forth between beautiful clean square pixels, and CRT-like filters that look more 'correct' in 4:3.

deadfolk

The pi itself? A good 2.5a supply. Keyboard and mouse going to a powered USB hub. External drive also running off it's own power.

There are so many different sets of instructions out there on how to do it, and I've tried a billion of them. Every time I run into a different problem. At one point I had it completely up and running, but I restarted and then it absolutely refused to mount my drive again. It would see it listed if I told it to show me everything, but it wouldn't actually show up as a usable mounted device, just that it was plugged in. Just did another run this morning, and at the end I hit a black screen on boot. So, I'm done for the day. Gonna play some Splatoon 2 then go hang out at a friends. One day spent on it was enough. I'll try again tomorrow or Monday when I'm off.

Did you add it to /etc/fstab?

This is exactly correct. The SNES and NES both used a 256x224 resolution by default (8:7) stretched to 4:3. But it gets complicated for a few reasons. #1: SNES didn't actually use a fixed resolution. Quite a few games had slightly different resolutions or even switched resolutions for certain things (Secret of Mana and SD3 uses Hi-res 512x224 mode whenever text appears to make text easier to read. This is still squished down to a 4:3 aspect ratio on your TV).

As for "how the developers intended"... that's also complicated. Many developers took the time to account for the 8:7 stretched to 4:3. Many others however, didn't. So by large, the result is inconsistent.

The link above in Johnny's post shows wonderfully just how inconsistent it can be.

So TLDR is simply Nintendo didn't have a standard that developers had to adhere to, so 4:3 and 8:7 is inconsistent between, and sometimes within the same, games. So go with what looks best to you. I personally waffle back and forth between beautiful clean square pixels, and CRT-like filters that look more 'correct' in 4:3.

I suppose hindsight is 20/20 and they weren't really in a position to predict fixed pixel displays. At least it's very easy to change aspect ratios in retropie/retroarch

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The Xbox 360 dongle works with no issues. I connected 4 wireless controllers and played multiplayer with friends. You don't need to install anything, plug it in and it works.

The 360 controllers are bad so do yourself a favour and get the Bluetooth enabled One controller. World of difference.

If you would like I can test out the dongle for the 360 if that's really the way you want to go.

Try a different core. SNES2010 has worked the best on the RP3 for me.
Well, I'd prefer to use the 360 controller with the dongle as I already own one so that's a plus. Can you use multiple controller types? My wife has let me know she wants a wireless SNES style controller lol.

Nothing like complications haha.

The 360 dongle should work.

I use the Bluetooth 8bitdo SNES clone pad and honestly I love it.

You should be able to mix. Not tried it but can't imagine why not.

Top Bottom