• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

BigDes

You should probably make sure that emulation station isn't running.

If that still isn't working, you can just install the Sselph scraper in the tools. It worked very well for me. Here's a guide on how to set it up.
Scraper Guide

Thanks.

I figured it out and it was because I am a dumb butt

XML Scraper searches for Retropie on the network and I had given mine a unique name, changing it back to Retropie fixed the problem.

zoodoo

Omg the psx fighting games have not aged well. And I'm not talking in terms of graphics. They play so badly.

Only tekken 3 and street fighter ex 2 are playable.

Dizzy-4U

Omg the psx fighting games have not aged well. And I'm not talking in terms of graphics. They play so badly.

Only tekken 3 and street fighter ex 2 are playable.
What are you playing? Criticom, Cardinal Syn and crap like that?

Some lesser knwon fighters you should definitely look after: Advanced V.G. 2, Eretzvaju (Evil Zone), Slap Happy Rhythm Busters, Asuka 120%, Tobal 2, Critical Blow.

Avoid all the King of Fighters stuff (load times too long and animation frames being cut due to ram limitations) and Capcom stuff it depends, I think the Alpha games play pretty well even though they are inferior versions of the Arcade and Saturn.

If you spend $20 or more on Raspberry Pi components on Arrow.com you get a free Raspberry Pi 3 and overnight shipping.

https://www.arrow.com/en/research-and-events/videos/raspberry-pi-3-giveaway-terms-and-conditions

I ordered the official power adapter, case, and a cheap filler item to push the price above $20.

I just did this too. I ordered a Pi 3 (version b) and got the second one free. Can't beat buy one get one free with overnight shipping.

Maybe I'll fix up the second one and give it to someone as a Christmas or birthday present.

Edit: I found it on slickdeals: https://slickdeals.net/f/10158692-s...pi-3-model-b-project-board-free-free-shipping

amnesiac

I must have gotten one of the last ones because as soon as I placed my order and claimed my free Pi the deal went away. Hopefully I still got it.

MikeRahl

Does anyone have a good compatabilitiy list for N64?

Most of what I hear is that it is pretty poor overall, but some games work well... looking through most of the lists I find they seem to be more of the drunken ramblings of a mad man than anything else.

The ones I've heard work well are Mario 64, Mario Kart, OoT... are there any popular games that are a tire fire and definite stay away from?

I'd be interested in Ogre Battle, Blast Corps and Harvest Moon.

Bloodember

Does anyone have a good compatabilitiy list for N64?

Most of what I hear is that it is pretty poor overall, but some games work well... looking through most of the lists I find they seem to be more of the drunken ramblings of a mad man than anything else.

The ones I've heard work well are Mario 64, Mario Kart, OoT... are there any popular games that are a tire fire and definite stay away from?

I'd be interested in Ogre Battle, Blast Corps and Harvest Moon.
I'm using retropie, and all those games work, I haven't found any games that don't work. I've played about 50 different ones for n64.

Dizzy-4U

Anyone experienced with ibuffalo controllers? I read that the snes model has ghost input problems (in the frontend, not in-game).

I might go with the famicom model since it's cheaper and apparently has no issues.

I am running Recalbox on a pi 3 and was considering altering my resolution for the N64 emulator to 640x480 from the default. Can anyone here comment on how much of a performance boost it really offers?

Bloodember

Hey guys,

Need some help, I've searched and can't find anything. I have a Pi 3 model B, It has been working for the last 2 weeks, now it won't boot at all, tried two different cards. I get the power led but no Act led. The only thing I have done is soldered a header to the run so I can use a tac button to reset it. Is there a way to fuck the board by doing that? Do I need to do something to reset the board?

baberunisei

Anyone experienced with ibuffalo controllers? I read that the snes model has ghost input problems (in the frontend, not in-game).

I might go with the famicom model since it's cheaper and apparently has no issues.

I use the snes model and no issues at all. It's a perfect controller in my opinion.

colinp

Banned
Hey guys,

Need some help, I've searched and can't find anything. I have a Pi 3 model B, It has been working for the last 2 weeks, now it won't boot at all, tried two different cards. I get the power led but no Act led. The only thing I have done is soldered a header to the run so I can use a tac button to reset it. Is there a way to fuck the board by doing that? Do I need to do something to reset the board?

If the "only thing" you've done is put scalding hot pieces of metal on delicate electronics and your problem started after having done that I would imagine there's a good chance you may have fried something.

Bloodember

If the "only thing" you've done is put scalding hot pieces of metal on delicate electronics and your problem started after having done that I would imagine there's a good chance you may have fried something.

I thought so too, but it did work after I put the header on it. I then shut it off and now it won't work, seems the card reader stopped working.

btrboyev

I am running Recalbox on a pi 3 and was considering altering my resolution for the N64 emulator to 640x480 from the default. Can anyone here comment on how much of a performance boost it really offers?

But the default is lower than 640. N64 is simply not worth it yet. Few games run well. The core is just not optimized.

Harlock

You guys are using any scanlines shader? I changed my mind and dont use in most of cases because the crt-pi looks too much dark and the lines thick.

Are there any tricks to making the scraper Retropie uses not fucking blow? It gets tripped up so easily. I can't figure out any way for it to find something as common as Castlevania 2.

Dizzy-4U

I use the snes model and no issues at all. It's a perfect controller in my opinion.
That's great, thanks for the info.

You guys are using any scanlines shader? I changed my mind and dont use in most of cases because the crt-pi looks too much dark and the lines thick.

I use crt-pi sometimes, but It has a linear filter applied that I don't like, so I change it to nearest and everything looks great.

Are there any tricks to making the scraper Retropie uses not fucking blow? It gets tripped up so easily. I can't figure out any way for it to find something as common as Castlevania 2.
Avoid the default scraper. Install Steven Selph's Scraper.

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/scraper

Bloodember

34507648320_58c6a05ab5_h.jpg

Got my Pi 3 working. Here it is in it's new case I printed. Has a front LED, which is purplish blue and the button is for reset and to turn it on from sleep.

Just got a free Sony Trinitron. Any way to hook the Pi to it?

EDIT: Just discovered RetroTink. Ordered. That will be fun to play with. Kind of pointless since I have my RGB modded SNES, NES, and Genesis and an XRGB mini. But, I kind of just want to play around with it.

THE-JUV

does the 8btido usb wireless receiver work with the raspberry pi for those who are having issues getting their nes30, etc. working with the pi 3 through bluetooth?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MTQ9QPB/

I'm thinking of just getting one of these if you can just plug in the USB into the pi 3 and the controller will automatically recognize and work wirelessly with it.

thanks!!

does the 8btido usb wireless receiver work with the raspberry pi for those who are having issues getting their nes30, etc. working with the pi 3 through bluetooth?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MTQ9QPB/

I'm thinking of just getting one of these if you can just plug in the USB into the pi 3 and the controller will automatically recognize and work wirelessly with it.

thanks!!

That's not USB. That's a nes classic/wii remote connection that nunchuck 94 classic controller for wii would use

Just got a free Sony Trinitron. Any way to hook the Pi to it?

EDIT: Just discovered RetroTink. Ordered. That will be fun to play with. Kind of pointless since I have my RGB modded SNES, NES, and Genesis and an XRGB mini. But, I kind of just want to play around with it.

On the pi3 the headphone jack carries video. I have a RetroPi setup in my car using composite cables.

Buy a cable thats compatible with Apple products because the Pi uses the same pole order on the 3.5mm jack.

I literally had a half dozen variants of this cable laying around my place from back in the day and I had to buy a 'new' one because of that :/

Question about the pi zero w, what emulation distros support the onboard WiFi/Bluetooth and do they properly support the 8bitdo controllers?

I eventually want to make a proper pi-cade, but I figured I'd start small and just build an ultra tiny portable emulation box to take over to my brothers from time to time.

(Edit) and how's support for ds4?

Bloodember

Question about the pi zero w, what emulation distros support the onboard WiFi/Bluetooth and do they properly support the 8bitdo controllers?

I eventually want to make a proper pi-cade, but I figured I'd start small and just build an ultra tiny portable emulation box to take over to my brothers from time to time.

(Edit) and how's support for ds4?
Retropie works out of the box. They have a tutorial to get the 8bitdo controllers to work, and they do work I use one myself. The ds4 controller works as well.

shaowebb

Ugh...im running into the audio issue of "retropie plays audio on one monitor but not on another." The monitor I wanna use is an old 19in with a vga and audio in port. I setup an hdmi to vga adaptor and no audio via the monitor. then I tried running a 3.5mm from the a/v jack on the raspberry pi to the audio in on the monitor. Nothing. Tried a speaker with its own power to the a/v. Nothing. Tried the speaker via the a/v with its usb plugged into the raspberry pi as well. Nothing. Tried friggin headphones in the A/V slot...nothing.

Fuck me do I have to config this thing to force it to detect audio from the A/V port when hooked up to a monitor via this adaptor so I can finish making my bartop arcade?

This linux shit is annoying.

EDIT: whew. Fixed. we're in business now.

Retropie works out of the box. They have a tutorial to get the 8bitdo controllers to work, and they do work I use one myself. The ds4 controller works as well.

Super awesome.

I had a pi 2 ages ago and didn't get around to messing with it before selling it... Wanted to make pi cade from it. Now I'm looking at options for the zero... And I'm falling down another rabbit hole where instead I'm tempted to put it in a classic controller of some sort running from a battery pack so i only have to worry about hooking it up via hdmi when i visit people annnnnd arrrrrrgh so many options!

Top Bottom