• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

BPBiorr

How do I reduce input lag on snes?
Its kinda noticable in super mario world.

Are you using a controller connected by Bluetooth? If you are I had a similar problem. Apparently it can be fixed by using an external Bluetooth receiver however I bought a wired controller instead which also fixed the problem.

snack

i was thinking about getting a 8bitdo wireless controller. Will it have noticeable lag when playing games on my pi?

ZoronMaro

Can anyone explain the difference between the distros in the OP? Or is there really just no reason to use anything other than retropi?

Anyone know of a release date on the 8bitdo SNES30 Pro controller? I can't seem to find anything.
They said holiday season this year. That was a few months ago when they first showed it off, but I haven't seen any other info so unless the have a track record I don't know about, I'm hoping for November.

spons

Gold Member
Hmm, might be fine with just heatsinks for SNES, but I don't know with no airflow. Have you looked at something like the Flirc case that uses the whole case as a heatsink?

That's a nice case. As my Raspberry Pi 3 overheats at the slightest load, consider this one ordered. One question though: the GPU and CPU are in the same chip right? So the built-in heatsink of the case should lower the temperature on both?

To the guy above with the N64 problems: a. Pi3 (which I assume you have) really isn't that fast and b. after 2 decades N64 emulation is still poopy. I think underperforming for some of the more heavier games is normal. I tried Perfect Dark on it and even on native resolution, no filters, no whatever it still runs like ass (come to think of it, it had frequent framedrops on the actual console as well).

19Kilo

That's a nice case. As my Raspberry Pi 3 overheats at the slightest load, consider this one ordered. One question though: the GPU and CPU are in the same chip right? So the built-in heatsink of the case should lower the temperature on both?

To the guy above with the N64 problems: a. Pi3 (which I assume you have) really isn't that fast and b. after 2 decades N64 emulation is still poopy. I think underperforming for some of the more heavier games is normal. I tried Perfect Dark on it and even on native resolution, no filters, no whatever it still runs like ass (come to think of it, it had frequent framedrops on the actual console as well).

Yeah, the SoC has CPU, GPU, etc. all in one (The RAM is stacked on top of it too). The smaller heatsink that some cases come with goes on the ethernet controller which is the next hottest component.

Godcannon

So my N64 games have been playing like shit, which is weird to me because my PS1 games play just fine.

Any tips?

You can tinker with emulators and lower video settings to see if increases performance. I don't like to use the lowest though cuz it looks like pixel 64. I played my 64 and pie back to back, and even had some looking better than the 64. Castlevania, Diddy Kong Racing, and more.

Obviously not all n64 games run well(check compatibility list), but if you want N64 to run at its best then get a case with a fan and heatsinks, and overclock imo.

I'll post my settings and emulator prefs when possible.

Edit:
Em:Mupen64plus-gles2rice-highres
Video:CEA1, I guess I did use the lowest but it still looks slightly better than the 64 after testing.

Overclocked to 1350 with fan and hs.

Willenium

I've got a Pi3 and when I try to play Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee on the stock RetroPie PSP emulator, the game runs absolutely perfectly until I try to take a shot. Right when I start my swing, everything but the power gauge goes black and the gauge moves at like 4 pixels per second. Not sure why something like that would slow performance down SO much... Maybe it's a copy protection thing? Any ideas?

Intel_89

Thanks,

What's the N64 emulator like? Do you know if you can plug an N64 controller in, I have an N64 - USB for my laptop

Cheers

It's far from perfect even with a Pie 3 sadly, Mario 64 and a couple of others run quite well but there's a ton of games that are either incompatible or run like crap.

In regards to the adapter, I can't be of much help as I use a DualShock 4.

EDIT: This might be a good video to check out in regards to what you should expect from N64 emulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf6hIuomU8o

Deques

Hootie

y1BERtI.jpg

Who needs a SNES classic?

Just bought the Super Tinytendo case for my RPi3 on Etsy, it's mold-injected and WAY better quality than the 3D printed version I had before. Feels sturdy and the colors are almost exactly like the actual SNES. The fan also seems to be a bit quieter which is great.

BriGuy

Can anyone give me some help/advice? I recently installed the video manager referenced here:

I use all of the 1080p presets included in Floob's video manager script.

https://github.com/biscuits99/rp-video-manager

They all have borders to emulate either a retro TV or handhelds and preset filters, integer scaling and positioning. Looks perfect to me.

BONUS: The overlays included in that have built-in scanlines, so there's no impact to performance like you'd get with shaders.

Basically all I want is an overlay that simulates an old TV and adds scanlines without a shader. I downloaded everything in that package to the pi, but I can't seem to find that particular overlay. Most of the ones I've tried just stack three shaders on top of each other and slow everything to a crawl while leaving a huge black border around the screen. What's the name of the retro tv overlay and where/how do I load it? And would I get any performance benefit dropping things down to 720p from 1080p? Thanks in advance. This is all starting to drive me nuts.

MilkyJoe

The cheap knockoff SNES controllers aren't good. 8bitdo controllers are better, but cost more than the cheap ones.

Installing Retropie isn't difficult. Check some Youtube videos if you feel unsure on how to do

Thanks for the tip.

It's far from perfect even with a Pie 3 sadly, Mario 64 and a couple of others run quite well but there's a ton of games that are either incompatible or run like crap.

In regards to the adapter, I can't be of much help as I use a DualShock 4.

EDIT: This might be a good video to check out in regards to what you should expect from N64 emulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf6hIuomU8o

Hmmm... that's a spanner in the works then as I was mostly looking to play N64 games. Might have to lay off until Pie 4

ScOULaris

Basically all I want is an overlay that simulates an old TV and adds scanlines without a shader. I downloaded everything in that package to the pi, but I can't seem to find that particular overlay. Most of the ones I've tried just stack three shaders on top of each other and slow everything to a crawl while leaving a huge black border around the screen. What's the name of the retro tv overlay and where/how do I load it? And would I get any performance benefit dropping things down to 720p from 1080p? Thanks in advance. This is all starting to drive me nuts.

The shaders are optional. By default when you select the 1080p overlay option from the video manager script menu it will simply apply TV overlays to all console systems in retropie (complete with scanlines) and add handheld-specific overlays for each respective handheld system.

Try using the video manager script to return things to default and then apply only the 1080p overlays without touching anything referencing shaders in the menus.

PS - There's an option in there to install overlay files. You'll need to do that first so the paths created by the script actually point to the overlay files. Sounds like you hadn't done that previously if you were seeing black borders around the screen.

Lettuce

Who needs a SNES classic?

Just bought the Super Tinytendo case for my RPi3 on Etsy, it's mold-injected and WAY better quality than the 3D printed version I had before. Feels sturdy and the colors are almost exactly like the actual SNES. The fan also seems to be a bit quieter which is great.

Do they do a Super Famicom case?

Are there any viable Pi competitors yet? Disheartened to see progress seemingly slow to a crawl.

Wha? There are a ton... But it basically comes down to three choices...

Cheap ($35 and cheaper), well supported(lots of software and support), fast(higher end specs).

Pi is the first two. Intel stick solutions are the latter. Everything else is a weird hodgepodge.

I've got a Pi3 and when I try to play Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee on the stock RetroPie PSP emulator, the game runs absolutely perfectly until I try to take a shot. Right when I start my swing, everything but the power gauge goes black and the gauge moves at like 4 pixels per second. Not sure why something like that would slow performance down SO much... Maybe it's a copy protection thing? Any ideas?

That's because ppsspp doesn't like the fact that the game runs at 30 FPS but when taking your shot the overlay is supposed to run at 60fps (to make timing easier on getting your shot right). This issue exists even with me playing the game on an Nvidia shield TV which is probably the most powerful android device on the market today. Rest assured it's not your setup, it needs a workaround in the actual emulator.

BriGuy

The shaders are optional. By default when you select the 1080p overlay option from the video manager script menu it will simply apply TV overlays to all console systems in retropie (complete with scanlines) and add handheld-specific overlays for each respective handheld system.

Try using the video manager script to return things to default and then apply only the 1080p overlays without touching anything referencing shaders in the menus.

PS - There's an option in there to install overlay files. You'll need to do that first so the paths created by the script actually point to the overlay files. Sounds like you hadn't done that previously if you were seeing black borders around the screen.

That was it! Thanks!

Now to decide whether it's worth the trade-off in screen size...

ScOULaris

That was it! Thanks!

Now to decide whether it's worth the trade-off in screen size...
It is. It uses integer scaling so the image is upscaled properly without introducing any scaling artifacts. This is especially important when using scanlines so they line up properly.

oni-link

Not sure if this is a common issue, but I'm playing the GBA version of FFV and while it looks and controls great, the in game timer seems is be running slower than real time

I can play for half an hour and the in game clock only thinks it's been about 24 minutes

The game isn't running slower than it should be, it's just as I remember it, so I'm not sure why this is happening

Willenium

That's because ppsspp doesn't like the fact that the game runs at 30 FPS but when taking your shot the overlay is supposed to run at 60fps (to make timing easier on getting your shot right). This issue exists even with me playing the game on an Nvidia shield TV which is probably the most powerful android device on the market today. Rest assured it's not your setup, it needs a workaround in the actual emulator.

Thank you! This makes sense.

How do I reduce input lag on snes?
Its kinda noticable in super mario world.

In the video settings:

Turn on Use Fullscreen mode
Turn off Fullscreen window mode
Turn on VSync
Turn off Threaded Video
Turn on GPU hard sync

These settings should be used for most emulation cores.

tbhysgb

Hi guys I'm having trouble and I can't figure out why. This stuff usually doesn't trip me up. I followed the op and I have it all set up and I get to the retro pie screen and from there I can go into settings. I don't know where to put roms, don't know how to get the emulators to show up. I've created a retropie/roms/snes folder to put them in and nothing.

I'm just confused

Sh0k

Hi guys I'm having trouble and I can't figure out why. This stuff usually doesn't trip me up. I followed the op and I have it all set up and I get to the retro pie screen and from there I can go into settings. I don't know where to put roms, don't know how to get the emulators to show up. I've created a retropie/roms/snes folder to put them in and nothing.

I'm just confused

If you have it connected to your network, open up a window in your PC and type \retropie. That should bring you a window with 4 folders, one of them is called ROMS, open up this folder and open the name of the emulator you want to run the roms, i.e. SNES. Here you drop your ROMS, retart Retropie and it should activate the emulator and it will list the roms you downloaded to the folder. At least that the way I add/delete roms from the Retropie.

Fair enough. Thanks

Install raspbian and install MATE on top of that on your memory card. Install emulation station on top of those. Retropie is if you just want a standalone emulation station build without needing anything besides a controller.

I wouldn't bother with ubuntu on pi, it's not built or designed with the low power pi in mind.

Wha? There are a ton... But it basically comes down to three choices...

Cheap ($35 and cheaper), well supported(lots of software and support), fast(higher end specs).

Pi is the first two. Intel stick solutions are the latter. Everything else is a weird hodgepodge.

Ahhh. Just wondering because I'd like to see an advancement towards something that could run anything up through Dolphin (and hopefully older stuff still WIP at the moment like Saturn and N64). I guess the Intel Compute Stick solution would get there sooner given the power and more steady update stream.

ETA: Sorry if this is OT. Just looking at it from the "small emu box/shell angle".

Looking to get a new gamepad to use on my Pi as my old one is playing up.
Is there much difference between the Buffalo BSGP815GY and the iNNEXT other than the turbo/clear additional buttons? Both seem to have decent reviews and the iNNEXT is half the price of the Buffalo.

Looking to get a new gamepad to use on my Pi as my old one is playing up.
Is there much difference between the Buffalo BSGP815GY and the iNNEXT other than the turbo/clear additional buttons? Both seem to have decent reviews and the iNNEXT is half the price of the Buffalo.

Either buy the Buffalo gamepad (the best IMO) or the 8bitdo SNES30. Everything else is just a cheap knock-off with awful buttons and poor durability.

Off the wall question, but have people done well with the computer emulators? I haven't had much luck with the Atari ST or Amiga ones. They boot, but they often don't load the disk image. And just generally, I have a hard time navigating them.

b3b0p

So my N64 games have been playing like shit, which is weird to me because my PS1 games play just fine.

Any tips?

It will always depend, but for me and my tolerance level N64 isn't even tolerable on a powerful PC. For the Pi (3) I don't think it's good for anything except NES, SNES, Game Boy, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis, and TG16 (and maybe some others). Pretty much everything else is poorly emulated or needs more power (Dolphin is decent, but needs power and a Pi even 3 won't cut it even close). Input lag can almost kill any type of emulation. If people notice it in Mario World, try playing NES games that require exact jump timing or enemy dodging or a fast scrolling shooter or one of the best examples is Punch-Out!!. Oi. Lots of YouTube videos on this one.

Top Bottom