• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

Intel_89

It will always depend, but for me and my tolerance level N64 isn't even tolerable on a powerful PC. For the Pi (3) I don't think it's good for anything except NES, SNES, Game Boy, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis, and TG16 (and maybe some others). Pretty much everything else is poorly emulated or needs more power (Dolphin is decent, but needs power and a Pi even 3 won't cut it even close). Input lag can almost kill any type of emulation. If people notice it in Mario World, try playing NES games that require exact jump timing or enemy dodging or a fast scrolling shooter or one of the best examples is Punch-Out!!. Oi. Lots of YouTube videos on this one.

Most MAME and NeoGeo games work flawlessly on Pi3, same goes for PS1 games.

bionic77

What is your definition of flawlessly?

The lag was noticeable on my Pi3 before I gave up on it.

The emulation is far better on PC in my experience.

Though maybe it was because I fucked things up but I could never get the settings to where it felt good enough for me.

I will agree that the games look amazing on Pi, but I was not impressed with how they felt to play.

b3b0p

define this flawless. Because I can't get it flawless enough. Luckily, I don't like Playstation games except maybe 2 or 3. older games on MAME and I did say some others.

Radnom

Has anyone here done any game development for Raspberry Pi? I'm interested in making games for it, but I definitely expected a bit more of a game development community around the hardware by now. Just about anything games related I can find relates to emulation which I'm not really interested in.

Please, anything but Pygame!

Benedict

If I want do do a reinstall of all my games on Retropie, what is the best option?
Is it just to delete the SD card and reinstall them or is there some procedure I should do?

Koren

Has anyone here done any game development for Raspberry Pi? I'm interested in making games for it, but I definitely expected a bit more of a game development community around the hardware by now. Just about anything games related I can find relates to emulation which I'm not really interested in.

Please, anything but Pygame!
Try SDL2 (on Raspbian, for example)... I haven't spent as much time I wanted with this on RPi (but I spent a LOT of time with it on PC), but it's a really nice toolbox to develop games (well, till you try sound, I still have issues with this).

If you can't stand C/C++, there's bindings for D, Ada, C#, Ocaml, Rust... that should (?) work on RPi, I guess...

tbhysgb

ps1 games you only need the eboot right? I've got the bios files on the USB stick too but all I get is nothing. They show up in emulation station but when you load it crashes back to the library.

Or do I have to place the bios on the microsd card manually? I'm missing something small I'm sure but idk what

ZeroCoin

There is no Select on N64.

Select is just the way most people refer to the hotkey button since that's how it's typically bound. If you are using a replica N64 controller, what did you set the hotkey button to when you set it up on retropie? Returning to the menu will be a combination of hotkey+start.

ZeroCoin

If I want do do a reinstall of all my games on Retropie, what is the best option?
Is it just to delete the SD card and reinstall them or is there some procedure I should do?

Not really sure what you mean by 'reinstall'. The games aren't installed, they just sit in the roms folder. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

ps1 games you only need the eboot right? I've got the bios files on the USB stick too but all I get is nothing. They show up in emulation station but when you load it crashes back to the library.

Or do I have to place the bios on the microsd card manually? I'm missing something small I'm sure but idk what

You should copy the BIOS file to the BIOS directory on the microSD. There should be a network share available by default that you can just copy to through windows file explorer.

oni-link

I moved my Pi to my bedroom TV which is a 10 year old LG TV and it works fine but the sound kind of has a fuzzy sound under the music of games (if that makes sense)

This doesn't happen when music in games stops for a second, and it doesn't happen when I use the TV with my Amazon Firestick, so I don't think it's the TV

Any ideas?

Benedict

Not really sure what you mean by 'reinstall'. The games aren't installed, they just sit in the roms folder. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Sorry
I want to remove all of my roms and do another mix.
So I can just remove the sd-card from the Pi, insert it in my computer and do what I please?Without any issues when I insert it in the Pi again?

ZeroCoin

Sorry
I want to remove all of my roms and do another mix.
So I can just remove the sd-card from the Pi, insert it in my computer and do what I please?Without any issues when I insert it in the Pi again?

If you want to remove the roms, I would just delete them from your rom folder and copy the new ones over. I would think that re-imaging the card would take longer than just deleting the roms.

djblue89

Hey guys maybe someone here could help me out, I can’t use any USB controller with Retropie anymore, when I plug a controller I no longer get the gamepad detected screen, just nothing shows up... Any one know how to fix the issue?

ScOULaris

Hm, lr-mame2003 was updated in Retropie 4.3 with a sound fix for Mortal Kombat II. If this means that the game will now play and sound 100% correct then I'll be trying that out ASAP today.

oni-link

I'm trying to set my NES emulator to work in 8:7 as the default 4:3 looks a little off to me, so I'm hitting A after selecting the game and loading up the video settings and I can't seem to find 8:7 anywhere, just a whole list of 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 options

I'm pretty sure this is how I got my SNES emulator to switch to 8:7, though when I tried it with SNES games the 8:7 option was also missing

Is this hidden in another menu somewhere?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Select is just the way most people refer to the hotkey button since that's how it's typically bound. If you are using a replica N64 controller, what did you set the hotkey button to when you set it up on retropie? Returning to the menu will be a combination of hotkey+start.

Where am I setting up the hot key?

There’s like at least 3 places I can bind keys and I only know how to do one, in Emulation Station.

ScOULaris

Dumb question: What's the easiest way to get the update?

You can just update the individual emulator if that's all you're after.

Retropie menu > Retropie Setup > Manage packages > Manage main packages > lr-mame2003 > Update from Binary.

PS - I tested MK2 and UMK3, and they both sound perfect now. They seem to run at full speed too, but I didn't turn the FPS counter on to verify.

Sho Nuff

Banned
You can just update the individual emulator if that's all you're after.

Retropie menu > Retropie Setup > Manage packages > Manage main packages > lr-mame2003 > Update from Binary.

PS - I tested MK2 and UMK3, and they both sound perfect now. They seem to run at full speed too, but I didn't turn the FPS counter on to verify.

Done.

DYNAMITE

Meesh

Just wanted to share, bought my son a NES cartridge Retropie off eBay. I asked for an Undertale theme. It's pretty sweet, the seller put some good work into it, I think my son will be happy!!!
One thing though, how does a guy instal PS1 emulator/games and such? Is it difficult?
Edit: side note, I think this was a much more interesting gift/purchase than the SNES mini would've been.

Just wanted to share, bought my son a NES cartridge Retropie off eBay. I asked for an Undertale theme. It's pretty sweet, the seller put some good work into it, I think my son will be happy!!!
One thing though, how does a guy instal PS1 emulator/games and such? Is it difficult?
Edit: side note, I think this was a much more interesting gift/purchase than the SNES mini would've been.

If it's running retropie, it probably already has the emulators installed and it'll show on the menu when you add the PS1 games to the proper folder. The person who customized it may have uninstalled the PS1 emulator, but it's unlikely and if they did it's a simple job to reinstall it from the menus.

Guy.brush

About to order a Pi 3..

Two questions:
1. I have wireless XBOX360 controllers, are they working ok with RetroPie? How is the input lag or should I go for wired gamepads? If so what is recommended?

2. I want to also play AMIGA games. I read that WHDLoad is the way to go there? Is there a simple tutorial to get games to play from an emulated Amiga hard disk and with simple selection of the game from Emulationstation frontend without the typical hassle of UAE configuration and floppy disk fiddling? Should I use .HDF format?
Basically what is best way to experience AMIGA games nowadays?

Harlock

Install Browser Manager. Besides being easier to copy roms, the interface will show when an emulator needs a bios file not included in the default Retropie installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgQDg6SzBDg

screenshot.png

About to order a Pi 3..

Two questions:
1. I have wireless XBOX360 controllers, are they working ok with RetroPie? How is the input lag or should I go for wired gamepads? If so what is recommended?

2. I want to also play AMIGA games. I read that WHDLoad is the way to go there? Is there a simple tutorial to get games to play from an emulated Amiga hard disk and with simple selection of the game from Emulationstation frontend without the typical hassle of UAE configuration and floppy disk fiddling? Should I use .HDF format?
Basically what is best way to experience AMIGA games nowadays?

I don't think 360 wireless controllers work natively with the Pi.

You gotta do some extra work I believe.

Wii U Pro Controllers work great, their battery lasts forever, and if you're playing a lot of Nintendo games, the button mapping/layout is accurate.

I recently have been spending some time with the SNES classic, and I love the simplicity of the interface. I was wondering if there are any projects out there extending the functionality of retropie, emulation station, or something similar, to "emulate" (lol) the experience of the SNES (and I assume NES) classic.

I have my own RPi3 already running retropie, and currently using that Artbook theme, which I'll admit is really nice, but things like having a nice interface for save states or changing the aspect ratio very easily are REAL nice and easy on the SNES classic. Compared to Retropie's digging through the retroarch menus to adjust aspect ratio or changing save state.

And if there isn't any sort of project would anyone be interested in such a thing? Might be a fun little project.

oni-link

What settings do you guys use for video output mode on NES and SNES games, it's driving me crazy trying to make things look right

It doesn't let you select 8:7 either, unless I'm looking in the wrong place

derFeef

I have not plugged in my pie for a year or so. Should I do a clean install or trigger an update? I don't have any save's or something on there, but I fear configurations for my 8bitdos would be gone, which were a PAIN to get working in games for some weird reason...

Koren

If it's Raspbian (and stable), I doubt you'll have issues with an update. I've updated Debian installs who hadn't been updated for 4-5 years. The only ones that gave me troubles were unstable/testing versions (which is understandable, since packages can disappear in those) or when I try to change the major (which is always a tricky thing to do, but that you won't trigger by just making an update)

You don't lose anything by trying to update anyway (you can always backup the card to be sure), except maybe 10 minutes of downloading.

Wii U Pro Controllers work great, their battery lasts forever, and if you're playing a lot of Nintendo games, the button mapping/layout is accurate.
Any idea whether the switch pad pro is working too without hassle? I'm not fond of the Wii U Pro layout.

Same for Wiimotes (SNES classic pads plugged in a Wiimote could be really nice for 2D games)

If so, I may do an install just to see how it's configured, I've had troubles to configure everything properly in my HTPC. :/

If it's Raspbian (and stable), I doubt you'll have issues with an update. I've updated Debian installs who hadn't been updated for 4-5 years. The only ones that gave me troubles were unstable/testing versions (which is understandable, since packages can disappear in those) or when I try to change the major (which is always a tricky thing to do, but that you won't trigger by just making an update)

You don't lose anything by trying to update anyway (you can always backup the card to be sure), except maybe 10 minutes of downloading.

Any idea whether the switch pad pro is working too without hassle? I'm not fond of the Wii U Pro layout.

Same for Wiimotes (SNES classic pads plugged in a Wiimote could be really nice for 2D games)

If so, I may do an install just to see how it's configured, I've had troubles to configure everything properly in my HTPC. :/

No idea, I just did a quick Google search and a bunch of results came up re: the Switch Pro Con and Retropie, seems like people are working on it, or it works already, IDK.

Camwi

Hi guys, I'm new to this and wondering what kind of kit I should get. Should I get this one, which seems to have everything I need -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6Q2GSY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or should I get a kit with less items? Will getting a Samsung EVO+ (or similar) microSD card have that big of an effect on performance? Is the included case a good one, or do I need one with a fan?

I plan on doing a dual-boot RetroPie/Kodi setup, if that matters for my questions.

Hi guys, I'm new to this and wondering what kind of kit I should get. Should I get this one, which seems to have everything I need -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6Q2GSY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or should I get a kit with less items? Will getting a Samsung EVO+ (or similar) microSD card have that big of an effect on performance? Is the included case a good one, or do I need one with a fan?

I plan on doing a dual-boot RetroPie/Kodi setup, if that matters for my questions.

I used that exact kit and it turned out great. I have used a few different cards over time and not had any issues with speed or failures yet.

As for fans, I would skip. Mine never overheats Even when playing for hours. If you do decide to get more aggressive cooling, I have also heard much better results from the FLIRC case which is just a case that acts as a huge heatsink. It costs like 15 bucks on Amazon too.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Camwi

I used that exact kit and it turned out great. I have used a few different cards over time and not had any issues with speed or failures yet.

As for fans, I would skip. Mine never overheats Even when playing for hours. If you do decide to get more aggressive cooling, I have also heard much better results from the FLIRC case which is just a case that acts as a huge heatsink. It costs like 15 bucks on Amazon too.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

I will go ahead and buy that one then, thanks very much!

derFeef

Scraping issues and controller settings never consistently sticking is still my biggest issue of why I can't fully enjoy my RetroPie :(

Tb0ne07

Starting to gear up for my first Rasberry Pi project. I'm planning on doing a 2 player bartop arcade. I've been researching around but have a question, on the Pi 3b, how many GPIO connections can be used for input? A lot of the tutorials seem to gloss over this part of the installation, or either they are using an ipac. I would like to have 2 joysticks, 8 buttons with each, a start, select, and at least a hot key for menus etc. To me that sounds like I need 27 connections. Has anyone done a Pie 3 project similar to this using the GPIO connections directly on the Pi? Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks and sorry if this has been discussed already, I searched but couldn't find anything.

Starting to gear up for my first Rasberry Pi project. I'm planning on doing a 2 player bartop arcade. I've been researching around but have a question, on the Pi 3b, how many GPIO connections can be used for input? A lot of the tutorials seem to gloss over this part of the installation, or either they are using an ipac. I would like to have 2 joysticks, 8 buttons with each, a start, select, and at least a hot key for menus etc. To me that sounds like I need 27 connections. Has anyone done a Pie 3 project similar to this using the GPIO connections directly on the Pi? Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks and sorry if this has been discussed already, I searched but couldn't find anything.

You're going to need some sort of breakout board. As you note, there simply isn't enough gpio points if you're going to try and wire individuals buttons to it.

Tb0ne07

Ok thanks, so counting the available GPIO pins on the Pi 3 I'm getting 26. So I think if I reduce my buttons to 6 per player I should be able to wire in 2 complete controls plus a few menu type buttons (start select hotkey, etc...)

So i’ve installed retropie but i’m having trouble with my ps3 controller.

I plug it in an go through the input set up but I can’t for the life of me figure it what the hotkey toggle input is or how to exit from a game when I’m in it (or how to use save states or anything)

deadfolk

So i’ve installed retropie but i’m having trouble with my ps3 controller.

I plug it in an go through the input set up but I can’t for the life of me figure it what the hotkey toggle input is or how to exit from a game when I’m in it (or how to use save states or anything)

By default, the PS button is the hotkey. You hold the hotkey and another button to activate certain functions. The default to exit a game is either PS and Select or PS and Start (memory failing me this morning, can't remember which).

Meesh

Thanks for the help, meant to say it earlier.
It's funny, I had everything right, what wasn't was I needed to change emulators....
...i am shame. Lol

Anyone have any recommendations for another go Pi forum until things kick back up around here?

Not a big fan of the official retropie forums.

Top Bottom