• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time preview and screens

BeeDog

From the IGN preview:

Greg Miller said:
... and you can now throw your wrench to break boxes and collect bolts instead of having to run over there and do it.

facepalm.jpg

Esch

Banned
inner-G said:
Art style and direction can can do wonders for a game.

Ratchet is very stylized. R2 was a more 'realistic' looking game and was obviously designed with giant multiplayer in mind, so I imagine that had effects on the graphics as well.

Yeah, I'd agree that Insomniac's engine lends itself better to Ratchet. But just looking at the texture detail and lighting/shadowing quality(and postprocessing)? This just seems so far above resistance, which has lower detail at 30fps.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So so crisp like them baked potato chips. Mmmmm.
Put that on the back of the box J! You know you want to. ;P

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The various spherical moons contain Zoni, which allow you to upgrade your ship’s abilities and weapons, and are also required to face-off against our final uber-boss in replay mode (that’s right, hardcore fans, a special boss you’ll need to get beat to get the last trophy).

THIS is the stuff that i really love! When devs actually put decent effort into trophies. I so cant wait for this game!!!!!!!

Ploid 3.0

AwRy108 said:
Yeah, especially since Guerilla Games failed at adding it to Killzone 2.

I know that not every game needs co-op, but it sure would be nice if games would start to focus more on online co-op rather than online versus.

For instance, the co-op mode in Resistance 2 was great, but Insomniac pretty much abandoned it after launch. I'm hoping that they spend a lot more time on this mode for Resistance 3, especially in terms of adding more maps, more "perks", and more enemies.

I talked about titan quest (a diablo like game) in my last post. If Insomniac blow the doors off of resistance3's co op and make it even deeper, with a sick amount of weapon/gear/abilities, and a lot more levels, and more challenges/maps boy I'll be in heaven. I stayed up many nights exp burning on spec ops, and soldier. My medic is still low level, I never liked being support and healing people in rpgs.

I bet Insomniac could make a rpg or something. They sure have been fooling around with rpg elements for a long time (since Going Commando?). I'd buy a Insomniac multiplayer diablo like rpg. No story needed, I'm just after the loot (I ignored the story in R2's Co op too. I have all the intel by side effect of grinding).

Esch

Banned
Violater said:
Insomniacs textures are always the failing point of the mixed bag. :/

This is probably the reason why their realistic games haven't been so graphically hot.

They've definitely improved with this title though.

MDSLKTR

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
THIS is the stuff that i really love! When devs actually put decent effort into trophies. I so cant wait for this game!!!!!!!

I hope the trophies in the game are interesting and fun to get. The ones in resistance 2 were so bland... The skill points in resistance 1 were so much better.

Violater

EschatonDX said:
This is probably the reason why their realistic games haven't been so graphically hot.

They've definitely improved with this title though.

The forest level in R2 SP was some of their best work.
Future had its moments, but the improved lighting as you said helps. I just don't find and of the flat plainly colored surfaces appealing.
I will admit when shit starts blowing up in Ratchet you hardly have time to remember any of that stuff.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
badcrumble said:
jstevenson are you going to be the guy in the ratchet costume? please say yes.

I wish I could say yes, but I'm too tall for the costume. It can really only accommodate someone at 5'11" maybe, maybe 6'.

h3ro said:
JS, will we be able to invert the Y-Axis in the space shooting segments?

That drove me mad in ToD, pretty much made the space shooter parts a chore, my brain just couldn't adjust to playing without an inverted Y-Axis...

Oh god, please yes.

Almost made the sections in ToD unplayable for me.

Azrael

New info has me excited. ToD was too much like the PS2 games in HD. I hope A Crack In Time is a real step forward for the franchise.

Will there be DLC this time, like maybe new sperical worlds and arena battles added to the game? Also, will there be leaderboards for arena challenges? I realize the online team is focused on Resistance, but some online features would be welcome.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
captscience said:
Oh god, please yes.

Almost made the sections in ToD unplayable for me.

Have no fear - as the IGN preview said, there is no Y-Axis in space gameplay. To keep it simple and prevent people from getting lost (which is a huge issue) that plane is handled automatically. It works really well though.

AndyD said:
Ratchet + Kingdom Hearts space sections + early Ratchet/SMG + Metroidvania-lite genuinely rewarding backtracking and exploration with upgrades and new abilities = Fantastic game I cant wait for.
Fixed :)

Decado

I'll buy if it turns out as well as expected. In terms of action games, R&C is the rare break for me between "the most violent games I can find".

R&C are such easy buys for me. I can't think of another series where I'm completely confident that every iteration will be enjoyable, entertaining, and worth the money. I've bought each one since the PS2 days and that will obviously continue. Call it formulaic, call it what you want. It works.

noah111

Still Alive
Decado said:
Oh yeah, are they finally going to add difficulty levels to this game? The last R&C was really easy.
Considering R&C Q4B (PSN game) had several difficulty levels I assume ACiT will have some as well... or at the very least adjust the difficulty level from ToD.

Raist

Banned
jstevenson said:
Have no fear - as the IGN preview said, there is no Y-Axis in space gameplay. To keep it simple and prevent people from getting lost (which is a huge issue) that plane is handled automatically. It works really well though.

Oh :(

TripOpt55

Wow. This sounds really cool. It seems like it's going to add some serious length to the game too. I love the idea of the difficut platforming sections on some of the moons. It sounds fantastic. I enjoyed ToD a lot, but it felt a little safe. This game looks to be trying some new stuff and just seems like its going to be really incredible. Feels like I'll be playing this forever.

Edit: Also, has Talwyn been in any of the videos. Is she going to be back?

TripOpt55 said:
Edit: Also, has Talwyn been in any of the videos. Is she going to be back?

Actually I've been curious about what's going on with Talwyn also. She better be back! :)

edit: she played a big part in Quest for Booty. I don't remember what happened at the end of that game though..

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Just got the GameCom build Sony allowed a bunch of us to download. Impressions will follow soon, if anyone wants them.

I played the game a few weeks ago with JStevenson showing me the ropes in NYC, and I loved it. Again, good to finally meet you James, always fun to talk some NeoGAF shit with someone else, as brief as it was. :lol

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
xenorevlis said:
This one actually looks like its from in-game:

Several of the images are from gameplay, they just have higher anti-aliasing due to being resized from print sized images down to 1280x720.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
AlphaSnake said:
Just got the GameCom build Sony allowed a bunch of us to download. Impressions will follow soon, if anyone wants them.

I played the game a few weeks ago with JStevenson showing me the ropes in NYC, and I loved it. Again, good to finally meet you James, always fun to talk some NeoGAF shit with someone else, as brief as it was. :lol

Sweet dude, it was good to meet you too and talk about stuff.

The GamesCom stuff is the complete Clank level (you just played some of the puzzles) and then also the Krell demo (which is fun to play around with).

Preview code will be coming in the next couple weeks too.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
jstevenson said:
Sweet dude, it was good to meet you too and talk about stuff.

The GamesCom stuff is the complete Clank level (you just played some of the puzzles) and then also the Krell demo (which is fun to play around with).

Preview code will be coming in the next couple weeks too.

Awesome, looking forward to that.

El-Suave

Space gameplay sounds awesome and even a bit game changing. The space parts are easily the ones that had room for improvement so I'm glad that seems to be addressed in a really neat way. It's also a pretty ingenious way to open the game up for meaningful dlc I guess.

We already know there's more Clank in the game than before, so now I'm curious how the split might be between reglular planet and space gameplay.

Top Bottom