• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time preview and screens

Cesar

Banned
Sentry said:
Here's a new batch weapon/character shots, assuming in preparation for the new trailer at GamesCom (in two days);

A new trailer? Nice. I hope they show a glimpse of a boss. They said during a live chat that the bosses in this game will be the biggest they've done yet:

Bryan Bernal, Insomniac: The boss battles in Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time should be larger and more epic than any that we've done in the past. We can't reveal much right now but definitely stay tuned to hear and see more in the future.

I wonder if they mean even bigger than the Resistance 2 bosses or just the ones in the past R&C games.

noah111

Still Alive
Probably just from the last R&C games. :p

However, there have been some pretty fucking huge bosses on the past, even from ToD.. size doesn't mean squat though, as long as they're well coordinated and whatnot, it's all good. :D

Only 9 pages...?

Why is there so little hype for this?

It looks lovely... So lovely in fact, that i am prepared to forget resistance 2 ever happened at all.

This game is going to clearly rock.

Though i do get quite bored of Insomniacs 'drip drip drip' marketing strategy for their games... it means you don't get big peaks of excitement... and they hold off on things which could generate hype for the entire life of the promo campaign... Like online co op...?

Hopefully, too, they'll show us a world that's not composed of brown rocks soon... do they even listen... Resistance "wow, so brown".... RACTOD "awesome".... R2 "WTF.... even browner (in every way possible)".... RACACIT "oh wo... hang on... brown?"

Give us some screen shot love... plz...

Oh and some PS3 themes would be nice... the RACTOD wallpapers were awesome.

is there going to be home space?

.... Sorry this turned into a bit of a ramble didn't it?

Cesar said:
A new trailer? Nice. I hope they show a glimpse of a boss. They said during a live chat that the bosses in this game will be the biggest they've done yet:

I wonder if they mean even bigger than the Resistance 2 bosses or just the ones in the past R&C games.

Seems to be specific about Ratchet. I mean, how the fuck could Ratchet take on the leviathan haha

Shambles

NinjaFusion said:
Only 9 pages...?

It looks lovely... So lovely in fact, that i am prepared to forget resistance 2 ever happened at all.

I think that most of us are confidant that is it going to be amazing so there isn't much to discuss as we're all just waiting patiently to buy it.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Shambles said:
I think that most of us are confidant that is it going to be amazing so there isn't much to discuss as we're all just waiting patiently to buy it.

Yep. It's a day one purchase for me and because I don't want to have all the surprises in the game spoiled I avoid previews, teasers, etc. I already know it's good. It's an Insomniac game for heaven's sake!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Any chance today of getting a trailer and new info ?

acevans2

NinjaFusion said:
Only 9 pages...?

I am absolutely excited for the game, but there isn't much to talk about. They haven't revealed a whole lot.

You're a little off about Insom's hype strategy. I think they talked about it on the FMS... they trickled little bits out all the time for R2, but for R&CF:CiT they're being more reserved and not showing as much, as often.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sentry said:
Guaranteed actually, from GC. Posted new screens last page, btw.
Yeah but i wanted it today not tomorrow :lol ;)
I want to hear more about the 'replayability'

noah111

Still Alive
Fersis said:
Yeah but i wanted it today not tomorrow :lol ;)
I want to hear more about the 'replayability'
Yeah, same here. Past R&C games have always had a great replay mode, and hopefully this time they will let us know how many times we have replayed the game, like UYA.

Slaylock said:
This surprises me. Given the October 13th Uncharted 2 release date, I was thinking November for ACiT.
Well, then they would have to go against MW2.. if the can release before U2 that would be good. Even a mid-late Oct release wouldn't be that bad.

Slaylock

Sentry said:
Guaranteed actually, from GC. Posted new screens last page, btw.
Finally, Insomniac Games is hinting heavily that Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time will have an October release date.
This surprises me. Given the October 13th Uncharted 2 release date, I was thinking November for ACiT.

Shurs

NinjaFusion said:

I know in my case from the moment we saw the second Lombax I had the expectation that the game would have co-op. With Insomniac saying the game won't have co-op, my hype died down significantly. This, of course, isn't Insomniac's fault, it's my own for hyping up a feature Insomniac never implied would be in the game, but my hype was diminished nonetheless.

Shurs said:
I know in my case from the moment we saw the second Lombax I had the expectation that the game would have co-op. With Insomniac saying the game won't have co-op, my hype died down significantly. This, of course, isn't Insomniac's fault, it's my own for hyping up a feature Insomniac never implied would be in the game, but my hype was diminished nonetheless.

WTF?

They confirmed this?

Seriously... WTF is up with sony devs and campaign co op? Since gears is what 4 years old now?

noah111

Still Alive
NinjaFusion said:
WTF?

They confirmed this?

Seriously... WTF is up with sony devs and campaign co op? Since gears is what 4 years old now?
:lol :lol :lol Wow, just wow.

I never really expected co-op since it's never really happened in the past, but I was hoping for it I suppose.. Just because they introduce a character that plays with you side-by-side for a portion of the game doesn't equal co-op confirmation, especially since characters coming along with you is nothing new to the series. It's unfortunate, but not a big deal IMO. Would love it if IG stopped with their one game per holiday thing, it hinders the games they make.

BeeDog said:
People probably won't agree with me, but I appreciate the game being single-player only. Love gaming at my own leisure, every game can't shoehorn MP just for the sake of filling.

jstevenson: is there absolutely ZERO chance your earlier PS3 games will have trophies?

I agree that MP would be pretty weird, but some class based coop R2 style would work very well with Ratchet. That said, if they don't have something really solid, it may be better to go solo only, there is no reason to waste resources on a coop mode that nobody will play three month after the release.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
makingmusic476 said:
I thought Q4B was the better game. The platforming segments were much more enjoyable. I love the SMG-esque gravity puzzles that involved wandering around the walls of the towers.

I can't compare these to older Ratchets, though. ToD was my first.

Definitely more platforming in this game... including some optional areas that were challenging me the other day as I was playing through.

Madman

NinjaFusion said:
WTF?

They confirmed this?

Forcing co-op into a game that was never intended to have it=bad idea.

Sentry said:
:lol :lol :lol Wow, just wow.

I never really expected co-op since it's never really happened in the past, but I was hoping for it I suppose.. Just because they introduce a character that plays with you side-by-side for a portion of the game doesn't equal co-op confirmation, especially since characters coming along with you is nothing new to the series. It's unfortunate, but not a big deal IMO. Would love it if IG stopped with their one game per holiday thing, it hinders the games they make.

None of Sony's major games other than LBP (made by a small team) have had campaign co op... that was my point. Even though people have been vocal about it.

I was really hoping insomniac would step up to the plate.

Sigh.

Fersis

NinjaFusion said:
None of Sony's major games other than LBP (made by a small team) have had campaign co op... that was my point. Even though people have been vocal about it.

Sigh.
Resistance 1 had CoOp Campaign.
Resistance 2 has a kickass CoOp mode.
Uncharted 2 has a couple of CoOp modes.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/28/ratchets-rocket-a-crack-in-times-new-sapce-gameplay/

3864260404_cdd3ce0c4b_o.jpg

inner-G

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
WTF?

They confirmed this?

Seriously... WTF is up with people thinking every game needs to be Gears?

Moobabe

I don't know what to make of that footage, it didn't impress me as much as I was expecting. Still, there's time to convince me otherwise. Hopefully when the demo releases it has some of the space sections in it.

KZObsessed

Wish the space exploration was from a cockpit view (first person) but oh well looks great. Something I've wanted in Ratchet for a long time. Can't wait.

Cesar

Banned
The new space gameplay looks great, and fun. I'm glad Insomniac finally did something about the lackluster space travelling from the previous games.

Also, I like this part:

The various spherical moons contain Zoni, which allow you to upgrade your ship’s abilities and weapons, and are also required to face-off against our final uber-boss in replay mode (that’s right, hardcore fans, a special boss you’ll need to get beat to get the last trophy).

inner-G said:
Seriously... WTF is up with people thinking every game needs to be Gears?

While there's something to be said for focusing on single player campaigns, there's certainly nothing WTF worthy about wanting to experience a campaign mode together with friends. And while I agree with that co-op shouldn't be force fitted into a mold that doesn't facilitate it, there's also something to be said for considering co-op from the start. I was alright with a strictly SP campaign last time around, but I was hoping for more than that this time. A less than bloody serious competitive multiplayer shooter, inclusion of co-op, something to give Ratchet that extra edge.

And yeah, Sony and its partners have been strangely poor at cooperative campaigns. Split screen co-op or separate co-op modes are nice and all, but it's not enough.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I just wanted to pop in and say that I will be buying this. I will also be buying the GH edition of Future to prepare for this game.

Melt my face Insomniac!

smh @ Co-Op discussions.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Nice.

Been waiting for more Dr. Nefarious. He's the only villain that really seemed to stick so far. I could take or leave the rest.

h3ro

JS, will we be able to invert the Y-Axis in the space shooting segments?

That drove me mad in ToD, pretty much made the space shooter parts a chore, my brain just couldn't adjust to playing without an inverted Y-Axis...

DeadGzuz

Banned
jstevenson, don't you find it odd that you won't get the amazon pre-order bonus for up to 10 days, most of us will be done with the game then! I want the bonus day one to start the game with.

Amazon.com Exclusive Pre-order Bonus Items
Pre-order today and receive two of Ratchet's most bolt-centric power-ups (the Box Basher and Bolt Magnetizer) and 5,000 bolts to help jump start your galactic bank account. Directions will be sent within 10 days after the game releases. Offer good while supplies last. Must be sold and shipped by Amazon.com to be eligible. Limit one per customer.

Peff

We’re also really excited because the designers have created some excellent platforming and hoverbooting moons –and some of them, especially later in the game, will challenge long-time platformer fans.

I really like the sound of this bit.

Because these aren't mandatory missions, Insomniac has cranked up the difficulty here and made reaching the Zoni at the end of the challenge a tall order. One of my favorite challenges from my hour or so with the game was a world that presented Ratchet with these slick silver piers and ramps that he needed to hover boot over and off of. Of course, these chunks of floating metal were suspended over bright orange lava and there was no safety rail to speak of, so shooting off of a ramp, sticking the landing, hopping over a hole in the middle of the track, and choosing which path to take at a Y-junction all had to be done in a matter of seconds

This one too. Perhaps not the evolution that some people wanted as it's still a similar formula, but it is the one I wanted, so bring it on :D

wouwie

Very much looking forward to tune into Space Radio. Will probably end up being hilarious. :D

Screenshots look fab. Honestly, i can't wait anymore.

Ploid 3.0

TTP said:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/28/ratchets-rocket-a-crack-in-times-new-sapce-gameplay/

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3470/3864260404_cdd3ce0c4b_o.jpg[/[/QUOTE]

My goodness, new wallpaper. First thing I thought when I saw this screen was, "Graphics D:." Good job on making this game look good Insomniac.

Edit: Sounds like this game might be pretty challenging. Glad to hear this, I like a game that can kick my butt. I've been playing Titan Quest lately and found some program that allow me to set my level. It got boring fast, I had more fun barely surviving than breezing through. On QFB I set it to the hardest, and kinda found myself in a pickle with limited ammo and tools. I enjoyed trying to beat those waves more than having no problem with them fully decked out on a easier mode.

Esch

Banned
Wow, this game looks amazing. Why does this look so much better than R2? Was there a big jump in their tech since then? Or perhaps it's just the unnecessary scale of R2 that's limiting the overall picture.

The free exploration in space sounds really promsing. Could be very cool for side-quest junkies.

I hope there are ALOT of planets to explore. I was left a bit disappointed last time with Ratchet & Clank Future. This one does sound like a very cool step up.

By the way I really think ratchet could use something like space monster summons, like summon monsters in Final Fantasy.

It would be pretty cool be able to summon these creatures in aid during a battle.

AwRy108

NinjaFusion said:

Sigh.

Yeah, especially since Guerilla Games failed at adding it to Killzone 2.

I know that not every game needs co-op, but it sure would be nice if games would start to focus more on online co-op rather than online versus.

For instance, the co-op mode in Resistance 2 was great, but Insomniac pretty much abandoned it after launch. I'm hoping that they spend a lot more time on this mode for Resistance 3, especially in terms of adding more maps, more "perks", and more enemies.

inner-G

Banned
EschatonDX said:
Wow, this game looks amazing. Why does this look so much better than R2? Was there a big jump in their tech since then? Or perhaps it's just the unnecessary scale of R2 that's limiting the overall picture.
Art style and direction can can do wonders for a game.

Ratchet is very stylized. R2 was a more 'realistic' looking game and was obviously designed with giant multiplayer in mind, so I imagine that had effects on the graphics as well.

Top Bottom