• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank PS4 is the fastest selling game to date in the series

hawk2025

yeah, I hope we aren't missing sales due to that. We do have a strong amount in digital which may have been caused by the shortages

I think it also had top billing with a full spread at the PS Store for a while, including release day, instead of Dark Souls 3 (or maybe they changed back and forth? Don't remember).

Great news. I guess Insomniac knew what they were talking about when they said better graphics sells better than 60fps. Already bought my copy and waiting to really get into it after I finish Dark Souls 3.

samar11

Don't listen to the critics. I just got back from seeing the movie, and it's Ratchet & Clank through and through.

I am still going to watch it to find out why it got rated so badly by the critics lol. What puzzles me is why didnt Sonys own team make the movie instead ?

CREMSteve

Just got back from the movie, wife and I took our kids. Everyone loved it. If you like Ratchet and Clank, you'll enjoy the movie.

Loved the PlayStation Easter eggs!

In hindsight though, it would have been better to see the movie first, then play the game.

Mm, that's fantastic to hear! Hopefully this makes Sony OK the Sly Cooper movie and tag a game along with it so I can finally buy a PS4, eheh.

Also, I have a hunch the movie didn't sit well with critics because it was a video game movie through and through. Critics are looking at it from a movie perspective, and this seems like a tribute to the series more than anything else. With all that in mind, video game writing and movie writing are vastly different from each other because of how the mediums work, so reviewers are probably going to nitpick at it. That's fair, by the way! Not saying it isn't, it's totally called for. I'm just positive I'm going to enjoy the movie regardless of critical reception, as a Ratchet and Clank fan.

No Love

Banned
Well deserved. Insomniac has been A quality for so long now that it's hard to be surprised but they definitely should continue with these R&c "reboots", the magic is still there after all these years.

Kyrios

Looks like I was right in thinking that the game would greatly benefit from Uncharted 4's delay. Very happy for it!

low-G

The game is really really good. I only played R&C3, Tools of Destruction, and this one. I'd never played a R&C before 3, and I LOVED 3. ToD was SUPER disappointing, and I was able to see a lot of level design flaws that made it crappy (same problems of scale which makes Twilight Princess shit).

Now they've brought it back. Loving the game. Also, I wanna note it's one of the best looking games I've ever played, on any platform.

ShutterMunster

I see ads for it on TV all day and there were tons of promotional materials all over the theater today for it.

Just because you haven't seen any ads doesn't mean everyone else hasn't.

Anyway, I hope Activision hits insomniac games up for a Spyro game. I mean Skylanders superchargers really got beaten up by Lego dimensions and Disney infinity 3.0. I doubt their competitors will hold back. I wish they could just separate Spyro fro. Skylanders already.

The movie doesn't have nearly enough marketing to compete with the crop of films already out or Keanu. It is expected to make less than $7 mil this weekend. That is a failure of marketing. It was sent to die. It doesn't appear to be reviewing very well anyway. Shame.

mitchlol

I hope they make a follow up game, however I don't want to see them annualise the franchise. Giving time between games makes them so much more enjoyable when you finally play them. A good 3 years will have me ready for a new game in the series.

I hope they make a follow up game, however I don't want to see them annualise the franchise. Giving time between games makes them so much more enjoyable when you finally play them. A good 3 years will have me ready for a new game in the series.
They were annualized for like 5 years though and were consistently great so I'll take whatever Insomniac wants

They were annualized for like 5 years though and were consistently great so I'll take whatever Insomniac wants

In the PS2 era where things took less work.

I want them to take more time with these games than they have in the past if anything, so that we can get somehting really meaty. Crack in Time, being a fan favorite and all, was sorely low on planets. I know that's probably because they put a lot of work into the space sections and moons or whatnot, but wouldn't it be cool if we could have space travel and moons return, plus 16 planets, with expanded exploration/collecting planets, with a really fleshed out arena that brings back the Annihilation Nation obstacle courses in a much more grand fashion, and a UYA esque multiplayer!.... etc

Ok I know I'm dreaming lol, but my dream automatically dies if they start annualizing them again. I don't think it would be good for the series in the long run either.

oh yeah I forgot to respond to your comment on reddit, yes that was me lol

Love this game. It gave me the same sense of joy a game like Mario 3D World gave me which is saying a lot. Can't wait for the next one (if it happens. (It better happen.))

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Apparently Sony didn't want to and this was insomniacs initiative, from what I read ages ago

I have trouble believing that since sony was also working on the sly movie as well as having the heavnly sword movie coming out. In fact if I remember right sony supposedly was going to try to incorporate their gaming IPs into movies and make more use of it.

In theory it makes a lot of sense since the cut scenes in the game are directly from the movie. It's a double dip for sony since the money/time normally spent making those cutscenes for the game anyways can now be used towards the movie.

The problem in reality is what I said in the other thread- videogames don't "translate" to movies well, because writing in videogames are generally 2nd tier or worse.

Good.

Now bring back armor variety, open ended ship combat/planetoid exploration, the arena, hover boots, and a more fleshed out storyline for the next one pls.

I only hope this doesnt lead to a sequel being a full priced 20 hour title.

I think its been so successful because it was a short, pretty and cheap game. Its a blueprint how to launch kids games (that adults play) on PS4.

Good.

Now bring back armor variety, open ended ship combat/planetoid exploration, the arena, hover boots, and a more fleshed out storyline for the next one pls.

This all costs more money and time. The scope of the game is already perfect for its target audience, which is not the hardcore gamer.

Sagroth

Well deserved. Loved the game(though I wish it had an arena like most of the others in the series). Tools of Destruction is still my favorite game in the series, but this comes close.

Dislike when news is fastest selling but 0 numbers to speak of. Just be nice to see difference in retail and digital as well.

Jstevenson, go tell them to drop some numbers. Can't be that bad.

Guess we can expect another but sequels often don't hit thier marks on the Sony side. They have had good runs and bad with sequels.

If there is a sequel it has to blow away the first to really be a high seller imo

Sony often thinks good sales on one means good in the sequel. Not so often for them. Uncharted is a different story though. I don't see another Ratchet having as much hype unless it's simply doing fantastic things in level design

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
4 films at your local cinema would cost $16.00 (@$4.00/flick)

If each film is 3 hours long you'd be up to 12 hours for four different movies, about the length of R&C which is $36.00

*Looks at London decent theatres tickets for movies less than 2 months old... Sighs...*

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That's fantastic news. I couldn't resist picking it up at that price when it looked so good.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
giphy.gif

Finished the game (on easy) a few days ago, now time to replay Challenge Mode on normal. It's a great game, and the sales are well deserved :)

Fredrik

Congrats Insomniac! R&C 1 was one of my favorite games on PS2!
Got to admit that I haven't really payed much attention to the PS4 version though. Is there a demo available or planned? I want to see how 30fps looks and plays before buying, not really a fan of downgrades in this area tbh.

madmackem

Got to admit that I haven't really payed much attention to the PS4 version though. Is there a demo available or planned? I want to see how 30fps looks and plays before buying, not really a fan of downgrades in this area tbh.
Downgrades?. It doesn't suffer from frame drops etc and motion blur is spot on 30fps is fine for games like this.

Walpurgis

Banned
Excellent news. This game deserves it. $40 was a great idea but just watch the sequel be $60 with the same scope and content as the first game. It's a flawless plan as evidenced by Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 (lol).

I can't remember much of R&C on ps2, but this game controls and runs beautifully for a 30fps title. It's a joy to play.

Top Bottom