• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy |OT| Rip your PS3 a new one

Mik_Pad

Banned
North America Release August 28th - $29.99!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...ection-hits-august-28th-with-sly-cooper-demo/

All that wait for a Sly 4 demo and a PSN avatar, doesn't sound right to me.

Hopefully they will still announce a Deadlock download for preorders as jstevenson keep saying about preordering (SCE leaked that Deadlocked was going to be downloadable) and the demo seems to be included anyway.

Great bonus, have they said when is Sly Thieves in Time releasing??

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
sly 4 demo? yea...rather have a free DL of deadlock( never got to play it)

For me, the Sly demo is great on top of already getting to play these 3 awesome games again with trophies.

In the other Ratchet thread, JStevenson said this when he was asked about Deadlocked or some other bonus "still in progress"..

I would just say that if something else was planned but fell through due to schedule, it would be something we'd still be working to get to the fans, and that we couldn't comment on it until it's ready...

...if something else was planned, of course.

So hope is not lost completely for Deadlocked.. :)

yeah, i love'm all, but the ps3 r&cs have a more 'family-friendly' sense of humor, while the earlier ones were a lot more biting/sardonic...

Exactly -- the new ones just kind of phone it in as far as the writing goes, IMO. Also the weapons aren't a likable to me or something. I don't think Insomniac will *ever* top UYA and GC is a damn close second.

I agree 100% with this:

the only thing that the ps3 Ratchets do better than the ps2 Ratchets are, graphics. Which isn't really a big leap since I consider the first 3 to have better art direction/environments.

ps2 Ratchets have vehicles
better weapons
better levels
Humor is way better
Mother fucking Slim Cognito.

you will see...............eventually.

And you forgot the absolutely ridiculous Captain Quark comic book mini game levels in UYA. So awesome.

While it may have some of the best combat, the level design in UYA takes a major hit compared to GC and the PS3 games, and rehashing multiplayer maps for single players levels was very cheap.

I will purchase this. Three awesome games for $30 right out the gate and a demo for a sequel to another series I love? Take my bolts, Insomniac.

krae_man

*Shrug* - All 4 One has a bad rap.

If you're looking for couch co-op and MP play, it's a pretty fantastic game.

Not really, 99% of the co-op was pointless roadblocks that required a tether to get across. The Ryno Puzzles and the guns having an added ability if everyone uses the same weapon at the same time were the only parts when the co-op was done right, everything else was done poorly(especially the weapons not leveling and the lack of exploration). If you had just made a single player Ratchet game and threw in online co-op completely disregarding if it broke the difficulty or not, you would have ended up with a better game then All-4-One turned out.

Sorry but that's just the way it is.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Not really, 99% of the co-op was pointless roadblocks that required a tether to get across. The Ryno Puzzles and the guns having an added ability if everyone uses the same weapon at the same time were the only parts when the co-op was done right, everything else was done poorly(especially the weapons not leveling and the lack of exploration). If you had just made a single player Ratchet game and threw in online co-op completely disregarding if it broke the difficulty or not, you would have ended up with a better game then All-4-One turned out.

Sorry but that's just the way it is.

Then everyone else would've complained that it was just "another Ratchet game". I played through all of All 4 One solo, and i enjoyed it alot. I found that the AI did a great job in doing what it was supposed to, and maybe only a handful of times it got stuck on something, etc..but it was easily correctable by me moving myself or the camera. The game did have some odd framerate issues, but overall it wasn't anywhere near the total disaster that people make it out to be. I enjoyed it.

Toppot

Then everyone else would've complained that it was just "another Ratchet game". I played through all of All 4 One solo, and i enjoyed it alot. I found that the AI did a great job in doing what it was supposed to, and maybe only a handful of times it got stuck on something, etc..but it was easily correctable by me moving myself or the camera. The game did have some odd framerate issues, but overall it wasn't anywhere near the total disaster that people make it out to be. I enjoyed it.
It was just a big change of the formula, fixed camera, co-op, no weapon levelling (Character does level up but doesn't make much difference), no 'different' play style (like space levels or Clank sections are in normal games) and no really ridiculous guns as far as I remember. (I did have a nerdgasm when two of the RYNO suits combined though)

People were expecting something closer to the normal games and when it wasn't they got hurt. But if they step back and look at it as what it was designed for (I'm guessing 2-4 player co-op for younger players and parents with children) then they will see that Insomniac made a pretty good game.

But All4one is in the past, we have a solid HD collection to play through and a new PSN game coming out later this year to look forward to.

krae_man

"Just another Ratchet game" is better then trying something different and it being terrible. If they had executed better like say they did with Deadlocked it would have been fine, but the game is a buggy glitchy mess with some bad game design decisions on top.

Edit: My copy just arrived in the mail Whooo!

Edit: James, I'm seeing people getting pissed off that the "super awesome surprise you totally need to perorder this game for" is the Sly 4 demo and not Deadlocked. You'd probably be better off being 100% transparent and disclosing what has actually happened(Deadlocked missed cert, so we've dropped the price of the collection by $10 and you can Buy Deadlocked for $10 when it's finished). This is another one of those cases where the games industry being more secretive with information then a political campaign is hurting you. Scrap the PR plan and just be honest.

Himself

But All4one is in the past, we have a solid HD collection to play through and a new PSN game coming out later this year to look forward to.

Because of the reception of all 4 one, I'm curious to see what direction the PSN game will take. Will there be an emphasis on exploration? Will the humor return to the more caustic style of the PS2 Ratchets? New gameplay elements?

I never played Q4B so I'm not really sure how a downloadable Ratchet differs from retail. I'd like to see them use the more bite sized fragment as an opportunity to expriment, as a band would with an EP Vs. an LP.

Toppot

Because of the reception of all 4 one, I'm curious to see what direction the PSN game will take. Will there be an emphasis on exploration? Will the humor return to the more caustic style of the PS2 Ratchets? New gameplay elements?

I never played Q4B so I'm not really sure how a downloadable Ratchet differs from retail. I'd like to see them use the more bite sized fragment as an opportunity to expriment, as a band would with an EP Vs. an LP.
It will be a classic R&C game with some new twists.
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/59423/insomniacs-ted-price-on-ratchet-clank-and-overstrike/
I think it is a experiment with some damage control after All4One probably did less well than expected. Jstevenson has said before that this will have a lot more replayability than Q4B that had basically none. Q4B after all was an experiment, possibly taking R&C into a more episodic route (When it was all the rage).

Q4B didn't go down will critically because it wasn't as complete as a normal R&C game. It was a R&C game just bite sized. Less planets, less back tracking, less weapons, less upgrading, less all round, but the quality was still there looks, humor, puzzles, characters, story, gadgets.

I do see that R&C does need to innovate and it is a good bed for experimenting with but so far they haven't hit a new sweet spot, where as refining and expanding on the tried and tested formula continues to do well with critics and fans alike.

I am very interested to see what they do with this second shot at a PSN size R&C, they have learnt from the past and I hope that means this is better. Though In all honesty I'm happy for them to keep making a full R&C game every 2 years where they refine and tweak the formula.

I could write an essay on the 'formula' but thats for another day =P

krae_man

Man Ratchet 1 is harder then the last few ratchet games I've played. Of course I'm holding off till I get the persuader so that's making things a little more difficult only having my wrench and bomb glove but those sand sharks still fucked me up good.

Toppot

Man Ratchet 1 is harder then the last few ratchet games I've played. Of course I'm holding off till I get the persuader so that's making things a little more difficult only having my wrench and bomb glove but those sand sharks still fucked me up good.
Since the bolts trophy is accumulative there may not be much point waiting to get the persuader to save money, you will simply just get more weapons sooner really. (You will have to buy Devastator pre-persuader to get past towers and flying enemies on later levels)

Don't risk ruining your enjoyment of the game just to be efficient, it is your first play through, enjoy it! The sandsharks can be a pain if you don't have the pyrociter, intentionally so I think so you did buy and try out different weapons, otherwise you just use the bomb glove the whole time and ammo crates only drop bomb ammo making it easier. Bomb gloving most of the game is not easy.

krae_man

I can't remember what I've done in the past. I think I used to just buy the first blaster weapon. But we'll see how long I can make it.

krae_man

Well, I've made it to Pokitaru without buying any weapons. Now I remember this level being a bitch especially the boat segments. Lets see if I can make it to the dude who sells you the persuader.

NBtoaster

Well, I've made it to Pokitaru without buying any weapons. Now I remember this level being a bitch especially the boat segments. Lets see if I can make it to the dude who sells you the persuader.

You still need the Raritanium from Hoven to get the persuader..

krae_man

Managed to get the Persuader only buying the Devastator. Used all that money to buy both Nanotech upgrades right away.

Now that I have some weapons, I can go through and do some of these skill points.

Toppot

Like at the Ratchet and Clank 10th anniversary panel? :p
Why yes V-Ben ;), we may here something at Pax Prime 2012 in Seattle, Washington where on Sunday, September 2nd at 1:30-2:30pm in the Unicorn Theatre, Insomniac will be hosting a Ratchet & Clank: 10th Anniversary Panel where you can join developers from Insomniac Games as they look back on the ten years of the franchise, discuss the Ratchet & Clank HD Collection and Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, and reveal other elements of the Ratchet & Clank 10th Anniversary Celebration with panelists including Ted Price, President and Founder, John Fiorito, Chief Operating Officer, Brian Allgeier, Creative Director, TJ Fixman, Writer, Chad Dezern, Studio Director, Shaun McCabe, Production Director.

Along with other panels from Insomniac Games.

Just incase people didn't know =P

Managed to get the Persuader only buying the Devastator. Used all that money to buy both Nanotech upgrades right away.

Now that I have some weapons, I can go through and do some of these skill points.
Great job so far. So long as you know what the skillpoints are they shouldn't give you too much trouble.

krae_man

First game completed. Just need to do the bolt glitch to get the Ryno and all the gold weapons and the million bolt trophy.

Question: in R&C 2 my shield charger won't upgrade. I'm on my second playthrough and am to obtain every trophy. So am I fucked if this doesn't upgrade? :/

jimi_dini

Question: in R&C 2 my shield charger won't upgrade. I'm on my second playthrough and am to obtain every trophy. So am I fucked if this doesn't upgrade? :/

It does.

Go to planet Grelbin and kill protopets with it. It takes some time, but it will upgrade. Go through the area and when you are out of ammo, just kill yourself. Then buy ammo and repeat. If protopets stop spawning, just fly off the planet and return. They will respawn then.

Oh and it only upgrades, if you KILL something with it. It doesn't upgrade, if it just damages or shields you.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I really hope we get deadlocked, to me that game had the best combat in the series. So god damn fun to just pick up and play compared to the rest.

Shtof

Well, I was a little dissappointed with the future trilogy when I first played it, because the games felt too easy and there was too little work required to get to the top(weaponry, gadgetry). Now, while replaying the PS2 games, I understand why. The huge amount of grinding is taking its toll on my early twenties self, much more than my early teens self.

What probably makes matters worse is that I 100%'ed GC, UYA and Deadlocked back in the day. Like for real. Maxed out all weapons, got all collectibles/skill points. Actually looking forward to replaying Tools of Destruction somewhere down the road. Anyone know if a PSN release of ToD is incoming?

Shtof

I really hope we get deadlocked, to me that game had the best combat in the series. So god damn fun to just pick up and play compared to the rest.

So true. I wonder why they just didn't keep the Deadlocked combat controls in the Future trilogy with the same level and enemy design. So much more fluid and fun to play. Sideways/backwards double jump is a lifesaver.

I agree that if you don't already know it can be a little bit difficult figure out. What you have to do is kill enemies with it while avoiding to get hit. The protopets are an excellent way to upgrade it as mentioned already but if you go to either arena with a bit of time you can get it fully upgraded. Completely upgraded (including buying the Mega version) it is incredibly powerful.

The 4th game is not included in America?

Nope. Gladiator isn't included in the European release either though so it's only surprising if you were hoping that would be the American bonus for having to wait so long (as opposed to the Sly Raccoon: Thieves in Time demo).

Footos22

Almost Platinumed Ratchet and clank 2.
just need 4 more nano upgrades and to buy the zodiac and im done.

Never played 3 so this will be like a brand new game for me.
2 is very glitchy.

have had menus stuck on screen during space battles.
hard lock ups upon flying to a new planet and camera spastications on numerous occasions.
1 was much more solid.

I'm thinking of importing the American version for the Sly demo. Can't wait for that game. Sucks that the 4th game is not included. :/ Perhaps in a 2nd collection with the PSP titles.

Shtof

I'm pretty sure UYA had quick select pause on the PS2. But not in HD release, it seems. Or maybe my version is glitched?

Top Bottom