• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman 3D |OT| Come on, who's the king?

qq more

I may get the 3DS within 2 months from now, but the only released titles that interests me so far are SSFIV and I guess Rayman 3D.

However, I'm really on the fence about Rayman 3D, especially after hearing negative things about the 3DS port. I loved the Dreamcast version (but no longer own it) and I think I can live without the framerate issues (didn't sound really game breaking).

So is there anything I should be aware of in the 3DS port aside from the framerate issues?

Mistle

Load times never really stuck out to me, but I guess they are a tad slow. Nothing to get put off about. Frame rate isn't too bad either, I hardly notice it.

I'm really enjoying it so far, it looks great with the 3D and controls fantastically. I played it on the 64 heaps, and owned it on DS but the controls were unbearable. So yeah, I'm having a blast. I never knew the Dreamcast had a different overworld than the 64, so that was a surprise. Any other differences between the 64 and 3DS versions?

Only thing that really bothers me is the bad sound mixing, I can't even hear Rayman's main attack. Otherwise the other sound effects seem to be fine. Is it possible for Ubisoft to patch the game if they wanted? I guess the ghosting in cut scenes is a little sloppy too, but eh, doesn't lessen my enjoyment.

I loved the controls, felt great - the camera was easier to handle than I expected, too.

But the weird ghosting on the foreground models in 3D were too much for me to take, it really spoiled my experience.

The game looks pretty solid overall as soon as you turn the 3d off. Never finished the DC version, so I will try on the 3DS now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OMG I think the 3d effect looks awesome in this game. It's strongest in the beginning.

I can't do the 3d slider all the way up though. And the 3d in the cutscenes is bad.

I like playing this in 3D with the exception of foreground objects in this game, they are headache inducing and usually out if focus.
No matter where I put the slider, with the exception of the lowest setting, I get blurry, painful foreground.

Also, perhaps my speakers busted (though it hasn't happened on Pilotwings or SF, but the music in the first level sounds horrible with bass. I tried turning the sound down and it still sounded distorted when any bass hit.

Other than those issues, I love the immersion of playing this platformer in 3d, there are quite a few eye ogling moments so far (butterflies!!!)

Truth101

Banned
Y2Kev said:
OMG I think the 3d effect looks awesome in this game. It's strongest in the beginning.

I can't do the 3d slider all the way up though. And the 3d in the cutscenes is bad.

Yeah the 3D in this game is great except for the cut scenes.
I can go all the way up

Sanic

GameE said:
Can't decide if I should get it. :( Maybe when there is a price drop.

Ubi games usually drop in price like a rock shortly after launch, but who knows what'll happen here, this being launch period and all.

Sanic

I've played a bunch of the launch games (except for Pilotwings, which i've played, but not in 3D) and Rayman is the only one I always play in 3D. I still don't feel the 3d is necessary or anything, but it does look awesome and truly is advantageous to gameplay.

Mistle

Just finished Cave of Bad Dreams, I'd forgotten about the "take the gold" option at the end of the level, haha. I don't regret this purchase at all, such a fantastic game. I play with the 3D slider all the way up now and it looks so good.

I'm on the last level now...this is my first time playing through Rayman 2, and I don't know if its a bad port or if the game just didn't age as well as the other big platformers of its time, but its really not doing it for me. For a game that's so highly regarded as one of the best of its time, between the weak sound, uninteresting music, random bugs and glitches...I dunno. Maybe if I played it in 1999 I would have been more impressed (that's not to be a hit against the game, its a serious statement), but I was ready for a game like a Super Mario 64 or a Banjo-Kazooie in its quality. Maybe my expectations were just too high?

I mean, its not BAD, just extremely disappointing and I probably won't miss the game that much when it's over soon.

GameE

Pandoracell said:
Ubi games usually drop in price like a rock shortly after launch, but who knows what'll happen here, this being launch period and all.

Yea I was thinking about that. I dunno. I'll think about it some more.

Aeana

Yeah, I really like it turned all the way up for this game and Ghost Recon. It works pretty well for me.

Edag Plata said:
I'm on the last level now...this is my first time playing through Rayman 2, and I don't know if its a bad port or if the game just didn't age as well as the other big platformers of its time, but its really not doing it for me. For a game that's so highly regarded as one of the best of its time, between the weak sound, uninteresting music, random bugs and glitches...I dunno. Maybe if I played it in 1999 I would have been more impressed (that's not to be a hit against the game, its a serious statement), but I was ready for a game like a Super Mario 64 or a Banjo-Kazooie in its quality. Maybe my expectations were just too high?

I mean, its not BAD, just extremely disappointing and I probably won't miss the game that much when it's over soon.
I had that kind of experience playing Banjo Tooie for the first time on the XBLA, and Banjo Kazooie is one of my favorite games.

So maybe its just a product of the time, because Banjo Kazooie is one of my favorite games ever and Banjo-Tooie, while different is right up there for me. Maybe if I played this back in '99 I'd have a much different opinion.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I dunno, the focus of 3d platformers has kind of gone back to tight, technical platforming challenges vs. the N64 days (compare Galaxy to SM64). You can kinda see how Rayman 2 is in that mold. Very rarely are you asked to do technical platforming, and there's instead a lot of environmental obstacles/puzzles.

But the music is awesome, you crazy.

AniHawk

i think rayman 2 was the first 3d platformer not to have an overworld and feature a-b level design, instead of making you finish a set goal like the banjo games or every 3d mario. it's been so long since i've played spyro that i can't remember how it was designed. maybe rayman 2 was the second.

it is still the one platformer that worked in the ICE WORLD, LAVA WORLD, GRASS/PLANT WORLD idea the most subtly. unlike super mario 64 where you're part of a playground with a volcano, in rayman 2 it felt like everything was actually part of the world.

Y2Kev said:

After playing a bit more I have to actually agree. The intro and the first level kinda threw me off. Maybe I wasn't really used to seeing the 3d either. Overall I really like this game now.

Edag Plata said:

It hasn't aged that well, but it's also a really bad port. Particularly with the sound. I had to manually turn the volume down in the music settings because the music was freaking clipping. Never thought I'd see that in a video game. Not to mention the buggy sound effects (and straight-up missing sound effects).

Though I think even in its day, no one lauded it for it's amazing gameplay. It just has a very unique art direction, both visually and aurally, and that either resonates with you or it doesn't.

Mistle

So the more I play this, the more the laziness of this port shows. Don't get me wrong- the 3D is outstanding and I'm having a blast playing it. However, some things are really lazy. For one, as I've mentioned, the lack of the sound effect for Rayman's attack is ridiculous. How that got overlooked and approved is beyond me. Same with the music, having to turn it down below half way to not blow the speakers and hear the sound effects is so, so bad. I've also noticed that when you get the gold gloves, Rayman's gloves stay white, and the special trail behind his attack sort of glitches up (not obviously, but compared to the original..). I know this isn't a game-breaker but it does show Ubisofts complete lack of love with this port.
And is it just me, or have the visuals been stretched? I watched some vids on YouTube and it quite looks that way :S could just be the vids though. I did notice that the port lacks a lot of the ambient lighting that the DC version had, specially when comparing to the vids.

I just finished Top of the world though, and wow, it really does look fantastic in 3D. Controls great also. I just wish it was more polished when it comes to the small things, y'know?
I had only played the 64 version, and I kind of miss the old overworld, lol.

Oh yeah, do the bonus worlds serve no purpose on this version? What did Rayman used to win?

Lijik

autobzooty said:
Though I think even in its day, no one lauded it for it's amazing gameplay. It just has a very unique art direction, both visually and aurally, and that either resonates with you or it doesn't.
Revisionist history is fun.

Sagitario

So... what's the final verdict on this? I tried the N64 version years ago and I just couldn't get into it, but I would love to pick a good platformer when I get a 3DS and Zelda OoT3D.

AniHawk

Sagitario said:
So... what's the final verdict on this? I tried the N64 version years ago and I just couldn't get into it, but I would love to pick a good platformer when I get a 3DS and Zelda OoT3D.

-frequent and bad load times
-ghosting during cutscenes
-just kind of a sloppy port in general
+tweaked to be a bit easier
+slightly touched up graphics (not that i could tell, but i didn't play the dreamcast version)

if you can overlook those issues (load times pushed my buttons), then you might be fine with the game. but the game itself is nearly identical to the one that came out 11 years ago on the dreamcast. i personally think the game design still holds up, but your mileage may vary.

AniHawk

Mistle said:
Did they decrease the amount of damage enemies give? I noticed that it's near impossible to run out of health as enemies are so weak.
yeah, i think they did. i remember dying a lot when i first played it.

Eric C

This is my first time playing Rayman 2 and so far I'm really, really enjoying this game. I think I'm only about halfway finished, but yeah I like it so far.

• I think it's somewhat easy. I wish it had a little more challenge.
  • Most of the time I don't like using the 3D at all, it ghosts during cutscenes, and sometimes even during gameplay for me.
  • Slowdown is not game breaking and is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be from some impressions.

But overall I think this is a really great game, especially if you've never played Rayman 2 before. I really regret not picking this up on the Dreamcast years ago, even more so since that version supposedly runs at 60fps.

Just got this a few days ago. It's not bad, and despite owning so many platforms that it was released on... I've never played a rayman game. There's definitely some lag, and I wasn't sure if it was just when playing in 3D or what, but it was something that I got used to.

The 3D effect like others have mentioned is pretty great, but suffers from some definite ghosting if you aren't holding the 3DS juuuuuuust right. I didn't experience this on any other game but rayman, so I think ubisoft or the fact that its a port is to blame. Levels feel kind of long, and really bare sometimes. I always feel like there should be more. The music was my main beef. My goodness I have never heard such failed audio production in a videogame. I am not talking about quality of composition, but like someone else mentioned... the clipping. It's awful. It's loud. I don't know how anyone outside of maybe some of the old bands I was in could think it was acceptable. Maybe its because I'm an audio guy, but this gets a pretty big thumbs down from me.

As far as ports go, I'd say its pretty lazy. I haven't played any other versions of this game, but I was itchin' bad to play a platformer in 3D. It was part of the Amazon 2 for $50 3DS game deal, so I can't complain too much, but it will definitely be overshadowed by later platforming game releases on this handheld.

Snaku

Banned
Decided to grab this when I got OoT at Target. Didn't even know they were doing a buy OoT get another 3DS game for 50% off, so that was a pleasant surprise. Now...which to play first.

Kerrby

Banned
Fuck. Is there any way to get save data back? I'm more than half way through the game and decided to have a play now when I just spammed A to get through the annoying menu when I accidentally clicked new game and started a new game over my old save.

Is there anything I can do?

Fuck you Ubisoft and your shitty main menu, seriously who has new game as the first option and above load.

Pissed off, I don't want to play this game from the start again. It has exactly kept my interest.

BooJoh

I grabbed this for free with my $20 credit from Zelda, and it's not bad so far, but I'm a little confused on how saves work. It saves every time I move from one area to the next, and the green lums are supposed to act as checkpoints, but when I try to quit it asks if I want to leave the level. Will I lose all the progress I've made since I was last on the map screen? That seems like an awful long stretch of play per session for a handheld game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You will lose your progress in the level but you will still have all the yellow lums you've collected.

MrMan2k3

For anyone looking to buy this, it's currently on sale at Target for $17.

I've never played any version of Rayman 2 before (though I have played the PC version of the original Rayman) so I decided to pick it up.

Baron

Just bought it at Target on sale. My first 3DS game purchase (barring Xevious 3D).

Had it for Dreamcast and loved it, but never finished it. I shall now rectify that mistake at last.

Grabbed this for $15 via Amazon on Black Friday.

The core game itself is as great as its always been, and its actually fairly technically sound, which surprised me, as there seems to be a lot of negative impressions regarding framerate and whatnot.

Its easily the best portable version of Rayman 2 thus far, including Rayman 2, Rayman 2 iOS, and playing the PSOne game via a PSP.

Graphics are the best they'll get and seem to be on par with the Dreamcast version, minus a lighting effect here or there and the odd missing sound effect.

Controls are they best they've ever been for a portable game too, considering the DS' lack of analog, the PSP not emulating the analog stick for PSOne games, and the iOS version lacking any sort of sticks whatsoever.

Definitely a great title if you can find it for cheap. Don't pay over $20 for it, however.

Top Bottom