• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Jungle Run revealed

Wortany

Oh boy, oh boy, more Rayman, and it looks great.
The treasure levels were really fun so I'm buying this Day 1!

ektoll

First review (in french sorry). It's awesome. And €2.39
http://bit.ly/ORjQHt

From the review:

4 worlds, sud-divided in 40 levels; only one button for everything, that means jump in world 1, fly in W2, jump on walls in W3 and smash in W4. Easy at the start, difficulty seriously rising in mid-level 3, no boss but achieving a perfect (100 lums per level) grants you a "death teeth" and allow to you to play more difficult and time-trialed levels.

As said, the tester (Bertrand Amar! remember Re7 on CanalJ :3 ) really loved the game, said it's a masterpiece, beautiful.

6a01310ffb1fb0970c017d3bdc08ee970c-200wi

If you have anything else, just get Rayman Origins. That said, this is a lot better of an idea than porting Origins with touch controls. So torn!

Haunted

Not a huge fan of auto runners, isn't there a way for devs to make this a proper platformer with full control? One button always feels so limited.

Art looks really nice again, though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Not a huge fan of auto runners, isn't there a way for devs to make this a proper platformer with full control? One button always feels so limited.

Art looks really nice again, though.

You have traditional consoles and handhelds for such games.

Kouriozan

I guess I'll need to buy a iPad if this trend continue...
It hurts me to miss some great video game because I'm a video game fan after all.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I guess I'll need to buy a iPad if this trend continue...
It hurts me to miss some great video game because I'm a video game fan after all.

i have a feeling iPad mini will be the perfect device for such cases....will probably get one just for my iOS gaming needs, while i rock a Android smartphone.

Micerider

i have a feeling iPad mini will be the perfect device for such cases....will probably get one just for my iOS gaming needs, while i rock a Android smartphone.

That's an iPod Touch :p

Okay, I know what you mean, but we can certainly wait for a near future roll-out of 6-7 inches iPad eventually, they just can't miss that market.

SmokyDave

But I mean, does anyone here really prefer auto runners to a full platformer?

I don't know if I prefer them but I'm happy to live in a world where I can play Rayman Origins on the sofa for an hour and Rayman Jungle Run when I'm out and about with 10 minutes to kill. Horses for courses.

Of course, I haven't played it yet so I'm speaking hypothetically.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is this game only based around levels like the chest chasing stuff in Rayman Origins? If so, that is great news :) I loved those levels, and when i played it for the first time, i was actually wishing for a game that was based only around levels like this. Too bad i dont have any iOS or Android devices, but still cool to see such a game (if the game is like i think it is).

EDIT: Yep, seems to be a game like i thought it was :)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
So it's basically a succession of chest runs from Origins? Sounds like a really good fit, especially on iPad.

these chest runs are some of my favorite levels in the game. i wish there were an entire game of nothing but chest runs that i could play on a console. on top of that, i'd play an entire game of the bug-riding shooter levels.

RAYMAN ORIGINS is so fugging good.

Mario007

You can play this on Nexus 7 as well, or Galaxy Note and soon will be able to play it on Xperia T or RAZR HD. All these have big enough screens for this type of games.

These are the kinds of games that work well on the iOS market, too bad this game will mostly be ignored by the casuals in favor of things like song pop and draw something :/

Katzii

From the youtube description:

"A trailer for Ubisoft's upcoming iOS game, Rayman Jungle Run. Rayman runs automatically through each level, collecting lums, while you control the jumping, flying, and punching. Coming to the App Store on Sept 20. Check www.slidetoplay.com for our hands-on preview."

Only 2 weeks to wait! that's what I like with iOS, you don't have to wait very long to get the games that are announced, sometimes they're even just out of the blue :)

And there's me not bothering to click on the videos and actually watch it in action, hahahah. Can definitely get behind this if it's not too costly, then, cheers!

Hm. This looks like we could have a genre king here. Granted, it's almost expressly a shitty genre (the only acceptible ones I've played have been "Robot Unicorn Attack", which was pretty great, and "Dragon, Fly!", which was a quantum leap above mediocre).

A few more titles of this quality and maybe I'll finally work up to having had purchased the equivalent of one console game on my phone, revenue-wise.

ektoll

Man, that was a glowing review. I wish he'd specified whether it was retina on the iPad though. Grrr.

Roll on September 20th.

I asked the author of the test on twitter to know if it was Retina, he's not sure but for him, it looks like so ;)

Anyway, after Rayman Origins at 1080p/60fps on consoles, I'm confident in Ubi to give Rayman the resolution he deserves.

Shiggy

As I liked the chest run levels (even though I did not like the collision detection), I will definitely buy this one.

This looks really good for an iOS game. Easily something I'd plop a few bucks down on and play at work or something if I...worked...or had an iOS device....sigh.

Still, though, this is mobile gaming done right.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nice! Another limited and shorter counterpart of a console game on iOS! On fire, indeed!
The game is clearly designed within the limits of touchscreen devices.

There is no way in hell Rayman Origins could function on one of these devices. The game is simply too difficult and requires too much precision.

Agent X

This looks like it could be a fun little game, with attractive graphics straight out of Rayman Origins. I'm interested!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rayman on my iphone? Hell yes. It's obvious that platformers are best with a gamepad, but thankfully Ubi is going in the right direction with touch over virtual controls. At least touch is designed with the strengths and weaknesses of the hardware in mind, virtual controls often feel like a flimsy replacement of "real" controls. This could be gud, so bought.

rezuth

"Here is a license that you know and love but in a streamlined format better suited to a mobile device!"

Look at it that way. Last I checked, Rayman Origins is still available for Vita. I strongly recommend it.
I'll much rather have these types of games on mobile. Save those others for the big screen in the living room.

Apple sold 25 (twentyfive) million iphones in just 3 months, did you know ?

actually smartphones are on fire, much popular than 3DS and Vita; so don't be surprised to see so many announces related to iOS and Android games instead of 3DS and Vita...

take a look at TGS list

And so what?
Also fridges are more populare than 3DS and Vita :D

Btw, I looked at the TGS list, and I saw porting, porting, porting, some interesting game, low-budget games, low-budget games, portings. still have to see a project on par with many 3DS / Vita games on iOS, but still :p

Yeah, I don't get the complaints on this. This is not shoehorning in some much more complex game by neutering it or sticking crappy virtual d-pads all over the screen in a game designed for buttons. This is taking assets and a framework from a great console game and using them to make a good looking portable game that works well on the go for a good price. This is what I'd like to see more of from iOS.

Smart game choice as well, as Rayman and the UbiArt framework used scaling of nice high-res assets already. So they don't have to worry about mucking up sprite art on a high-res screen, I'd imagine that it's going to look fantastic.

DR2K

Banned
You know when a game is revealed the platform is usually in the thread title. Yeah I know some people hate touch screen gaming Wario, but it should at least inform people that do like it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You know when a game is revealed the platform is usually in the thread title. Yeah I know some people hate touch screen gaming Wario, but it should at least inform people that do like it.

The game looked so good that I didn't realize it was iOS

Top Bottom