• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends coming to Xbox 360/PS3, all versions releasing in September

miksar

But now Ubisoft has disappointed hundreds of thousands of their fans by delaying an almost completed game for a further seven months so inferior versions of Rayman Legends lacking features can be released at the same time as the Wii U version.
OK, this is a joke petition alright.

So, even though you have no proof the Wii U version was ready, you're going to boycott all of their games because of... who knows why.
Ubisoft didn't state that they needed more time to complete the game like they did the first time. The sole reason mentioned by them is to have all versions launched at the same time.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Wow, I can't believe how angry I am about this. Come September, I'll have other games to play on the Wii U and funds will be more scarce. I was really looking forward to playing this soon, seeing as how now there are no solid release dates for any high-profile Wii U games. God fucking damn it.

I bought this system predicated on the fact that there were several "launch window" titles I was going to be able to play by March. Nintendo promised me this. Now, the only exclusive game, post-launch, that was set to hit before March is gone to September. I am now legitimately disappointed in the Wii U launch and I feel like I've been lied to (which I know is stupid, but I can't help it).

Ugh...

untitled2miu5h.png

wow LOLOL

AniHawk

If Origins bombed hard, wouldn't the better business plan have been to not make Rayman Legends at all?

origins bombed because we didn't get beyond good & evil 2. remember they said that if we wanted beyond good & evil 2, we should buy rayman origins. instead they made rayman legends. buy rayman legends if you want a new prince of persia.

Gravijah

Ubisoft didn't state that they needed more time to complete the game like they did the first time. The sole reason mentioned by them is to have all versions launched at the same time.

They didn't state much of anything, so it's all crazy assumptions.

RobbieNick

So, even though you have no proof the Wii U version was ready, you're going to boycott all of their games because of... who knows why.

If it wasn't ready they'd say so. Instead, they officially stated the reason for the delay was to make it a multiplatform release.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If Origins bombed hard, wouldn't the better business plan have been to not make Rayman Legends at all?

I do often wonder how much of Rayman Jungle Run contributed to the future success of Rayman 2d platformers being made. Console sales with middling success, grab those assets and then take Rayman Castle Run to the bank.

This reminds me of the Bayonetta 2 thread but in reverse... I find that many find it amusing that Wii U owners got burned by a game that was less than 20 days away.

This only fuels fanboy fires, not sure how many really will end up picking up Rayman Legends on PS3 / 360 at full price during the same month that GTAV comes out.

Be honest you find Wii U owners salty tears amusing but seriously this game will be ignored by you until you have finished your big holiday AAA titles. Not even talking about your PS4 launch titles and Xbox next titles. I would really love to see how many people thanking Ubisoft for this port actually end up supporting it before the bargain bin.

Wii U owners just got screwed, this is just not good for the health of the platform, the issue is Feb. 26th was not that far off.

The major news here is what is going on between Nintendo and Ubisoft relationship.
This is as harsh as EA announcing the Mass Effect Trilogy before Wii U's ME3 Special Edition.

Wii U owners don't have to do anything out of spite. Just like you have GTAV coming September and other AAA titles around that same time. Wii U owners will have Nintendo IPs they want to invest in during that time. Right now was a great time for Rayman Legends for us Wii U owners. September will not be a good time, we just got burned... of course if Nintendo drops a major first party the same day as Legends the choice is very clear that Ubisoft will have to wait to get my money.

Fair is fair... be honest will you support Rayman Legends this September or is the only reason you are posting happily here is because you are enjoying the fact that Nintendo just got burned a little more?

I'm sure if we did a poll of Wii U owners at least 95% of them also own a PS3 or 360. I'm one of them (Wii U & 360). If they were to release on the 26th of this month it would still have to compete with the following games which will be released within 30 days of that date:

Dead Space 3
Aliens
Bioshock
Gears of War
Crysis 3
Metal Gear
Tomb Raider
etc,etc,etc.....

That's a tough lineup of games to compete against (and doesn't include 3ds,ps3,pc,vita exclusives) so i'm not sure if delaying it is that big of a deal for most people.

Madouu

It really is just business though. Half the marketing price but the same result, getting to please investors with "sold so many copies" headline while omitting the (across 3 platforms) qualifier.

Its not like these decisions were come to by some random Nintendo hating exec that woke up and pondered how he could best piss of Nintendo fans this month. Hell, even worse it sounds like the game was struggling to meet this release date anyway if our little Ubisoft birdie in this thread can be believed. Game will no doubt be a better one because of a delay. Miyamoto's rule and all that.

I hope those that feel slighted or whatever can get over it and support this game does come round. I definitely won't be picking up GTAV at launch because I know it doesnt need it, but a beautiful 2D platformer like Rayman surely does. If you want more of a game, you buy it at launch to show that support. If Rayman Legends sells the most on the WiiU platform, that will give Ubisoft raw data they can't ignore next time they have to make one of these decisions.

Business. Its ALWAYS business. Pays to remind yourselves of that every now and then.

I'm happy to see a more balanced and less spiteful comment from you on the subject as you do make good points when you're not just being unnecessarily aggressive.

We all agree that it is business, but the way we look at it here in these boards is mainly from a consumer point of view. I sure want more of good 2d platformers but I sure also don't want more of this scenario happening. I was planning on buying the game in the next few weeks at its full price because I wanted to support 2d platformers, now if I do it in September, I will be supporting both 2d platformers and a business decision I do not agree with as a consumer. I am not willing to do that. I'll probably just pick up the game somewhere along down the road when it is cheaper.

daakusedo

The wiiu exclusive murfy content being used as a consolation prize by ubisoft is disturbingly funny too, when we already know it will be a con in here, and coming from the demo, that would be kind of justified. But that's not much, cause controlling a main character will only lead to slightly less boring levels, I don't think you can save the ones built around those mechanics. You take Teensies trouble from the demo, there's basically nothing to do for rayman. The two others levels not being fascinating was another problem also. I find it strange how few levels they showed since the beginning.
On an unrelated note, spotted a rayman garou in the pic that come with the delay announcement, connection to sonic unleashed is not helping it for me...

Did anybody actually believe it was exclusive in the first place?
Yeah I don't see why anyone would think that (or how Ubisoft thought they could get anyone to think that) since Rayman Origins was ported to every platform ever and it was made with super cross-platform tools to begin with. Not to mention the dev comments about how the Wii U version was an easy port (due to the RAM or whatever) compared to the other platforms they were working on.

I did expect some amount of timed exclusivity simply due to them working on the Wii U version first however. I assume the gamepad features are still exclusive, of course.

test_account

XP-39C²
You might be on to something. They funded a sequel so we shouldn't be surprised by their terrible business decisions.
Ubisoft said that Rayman Origins was profitable for them about a year ago:

http://www.gamesradar.com/ubisoft-rayman-origins-turned-profit-could-be-long-term-seller

"While exact budget or sales figures weren't released in the conference-call between Ubi and its investors, the company confirmed that Rayman: Origins has turned a profit and "has the capacity to become a long-term seller for the company.""

I guess that maybe Rayman Legends would be cheaper to produce now that they have the game engine ready (that was done for Rayman Origins).

OctoWara289

Neo Member
Let me preface this by establishing that companies are certainly capable of making erroneous decisions. With that out of the way, is your position really that they know this will have a detrimental impact on the sales of Rayman, but are doing it anyway because of... insert reason here?

I am aware that people/companies can make mistakes, there's no doubt; however, when a game is set to release 3 weeks from now and it gets postponed to 7 months from now to accommodate the reveal of its non-exclusivity for 2 past-gen consoles, it's a huge slap in the face. Maybe they think their sales will be fine, since it would only make sense for companies to believe in what they're putting out there, but I'd like to think they know better than this. Nintendo is not in a very good situation with the Wii U right now, and many including myself were looking forward to purchasing this game in the current "software drought", and now we get this b.s. Nintendo will be releasing big things by the end of this year, I'm assuming, around the time when this game will come out, as well as PS3 and 360's major end of the year games, too.

It just doesn't make sense, and the picture of it not making sense is very clear, which is what leads me to believe that they don't care. They're doing it because they can. Because f- Nintendo, and f- us. Also, if this game were slated to come out 3 weeks from now, you'd think it's DONE. Nothing to be worked on, but shipping the games out to retailers. I highly doubt that they will change much of the game in those 7 months on an already completed game.

origins bombed because we didn't get beyond good & evil 2. remember they said that if we wanted beyond good & evil 2, we should buy rayman origins. instead they made rayman legends. buy rayman legends if you want a new prince of persia.

Laughed way too hard at this.

Sissel

We all agree that it is business, but the way we look at it here in these boards is mainly from a consumer point of view. I sure want more of good 2d platformers but I sure also don't want more of this scenario happening. I was planning on buying the game in the next few weeks at its full price because I wanted to support 2d platformers, now if I do it in September, I will be supporting both 2d platformers and a business decision I do not agree with as a consumer. I am not willing to do that. I'll probably just pick up the game somewhere along down the road when it is cheaper.
you should still buy it. You're buying it to support 2d platformers, not Nintendo.

What?

Didn't Origins sell 2M+ between all of the platforms? Not sure if I would say it bombed. It's not like they spent $70M developing the game.

AniHawk

people claiming rayman would have the market to itself. uh, maybe (sega racing and mickey did comparatively well), but software on the wii u is selling horribly. nintendo needs to hugely reinvent the system before anything takes off on it. it's their fault they made an unattractive device that no one knows what the hell it is. third parties needed a system with a decent userbase and nintendo let them down by not building one.

Subtle

Ubisoft said that Rayman Origins was profitable for them about a year ago:

http://www.gamesradar.com/ubisoft-rayman-origins-turned-profit-could-be-long-term-seller

"While exact budget or sales figures weren't released in the conference-call between Ubi and its investors, the company confirmed that Rayman: Origins has turned a profit and "has the capacity to become a long-term seller for the company.""

I guess that maybe Rayman Legends would be cheaper to produce now that they have the game engine ready (that was done for Rayman Origins).

Well I hadn't seen that before. Also I believe it's a new engine.
EDIT: Or at least it's been updated.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well, the bad news is I just threw my Wii U out the window. The good news is I just threw my Wii U out the window.

I do often wonder how much of Rayman Jungle Run contributed to the future success of Rayman 2d platformers being made. Console sales with middling success, grab those assets and then take Rayman Castle Run to the bank.

Um considering Jungle Run was released after Legends was announced, I'd say not at all.

NotLiquid

Am I to understand that this is a huge deal because it was Wii U's big game leading up into he 2nd half of the year? And now since it's been delayed there's no noteworthy release until fall?

Most people expected it to be ported eventually. The reason why it's a big deal though is because they pulled the Wii U release just so they could simultaneously launch all versions in September when it was originally due three weeks from now. The Wii U version should arguably have been done by now and they're holding out on releasing that version when the console is both lacking games and would have been released to no competition.

majik13

except it was planned to launch in 3 weeks time, and had a playable demo several months ago. I think it is reasonable to believe that they would have had a completed game then.

Yes you can work on a game until the end of time, but that isn't the point.

I bought Rayman Origins after it bombed specifically because I don't want Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Madouu

you should still buy it. You're buying it to support 2d platformers, not Nintendo.

I suspect you haven't read or understood what I wrote. Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in which case I'll rephrase: I am not buying it at launch because of the delay. Nintendo has nothing to do with it, I'm pretty happy the game is going multiplatform. I am extremely disappointed that the game is getting delayed in this manner and I'm not willing to encourage Ubisoft to reproduce such business decisions with other games on whatever platform, so nope.

miksar

people claiming rayman would have the market to itself. uh, maybe (sega racing and mickey did comparatively well), but software on the wii u is selling horribly. nintendo needs to hugely reinvent the system before anything takes off on it. it's their fault they made an unattractive device that no one knows what the hell it is. third parties needed a system with a decent userbase and nintendo let them down by not building one.
Why would games sell well if most of them are lazy and late ports? ZombiU did better than all multiplatform games, and it is a game that is highly unusual for a Nintendo platform. And I don't think that Rayman would sell worse than ZombiU to be honest.

Nerazar

Thanks for saving me some money, Ubisoft -.-

I would love to see the same kind of "treatment" with Sony and Microsoft. But no, PS4 and XBOX3 will get Watchdogs and all the other next-gen titles from the start, whereas the WiiU will get Just Dance 5, Rabbits Land 2 and what else, because the system is not selling well enough in February/March.

Legends will bomb horribly, I guess.

Hex

Banned
Sucks about the delay, us Vita owners know about a thing or two about dry seasons between releases but it is still a game worth looking forward to.
I will say though that I am very glad that I will get to play this, will most likely be on PS3 unless there is some kind of Kinect add on (though will wish futilely for some Vita love also)
This was definitely the gem of the E3 reveal.

It just doesn't make sense, and the picture of it not making sense is very clear, which is what leads me to believe that they don't care. They're doing it because they can. Because f- Nintendo, and f- us.

We can probably argue that executives can demonstrate incompetence, but I honestly don't think anyone is really interested in tanking sales of their own software to spite a console manufacturer, and certainly not customers that want to buy their product.

Wow, I can't believe how angry I am about this. Come September, I'll have other games to play on the Wii U and funds will be more scarce. I was really looking forward to playing this soon, seeing as how now there are no solid release dates for any high-profile Wii U games. God fucking damn it.

You know that money you were going to use on Rayman Legends later this month? Save it and buy the game in September.

Fox Mulder

Holy shit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's only ONE full price game coming out for the Wii U in Feb. And it's Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2.

Dayuummm. Might have to get one of the launch titles at a discount this month or else I'll starve.

according to wikipedia, the 360 had two game release in February after launch, Full Auto and Fight Night Round 3. The PS3 only had Virtua Fighter 5 and MLB2k7 in its first February.

February sucks if you're looking for tons of games due to the holidays just happening, but it doesn't look like the WiiU will start picking up tons of third party releases like the 360 and ps3 did. It's only going to be a Nintendo box folks.

+Aliken+

How about the "all versions" in the news is just referring to the 360 and Ps3 versions?
Or are there other sources that mention this Wii U delay?

Top Bottom