• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready Player One - SDCC Teaser

Bronx-Man

Banned
LAUNCH THE MISSILE~

iron-giant-attack.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So, about the Iron Giant:

If the Iron Giant is being USED by this kid as a means to win, I dont' know that I'm gonna like that.

Like, the Giant isn't a rock 'em sock 'em robot. The whole point of him is that he learns he isn't a gun. He is who he chooses to be.

So Cyclops chooses to pilot the Giant like Jaeger to win Wonka's factory or some shit? And I'm supposed to cheer for that?

Ehhhhhhhhh.
Yeah this is what I'm worried about

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
This last page is funny.

Also, I want to clarify it is page 11, cause i use 100 ppp like an adult. Or a baby, i'm not sure which is for which anymore.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This is the way it's going to be going forward, to a certain degree. Unless people take the time as they grow older to go back over all their old forum posts, blog posts, social media comments and other things, a person's entire digital youth is going to be available for everyone to see. Jokes in poor taste, casually racist comments that you've outgrown as you've matured, cyberbullying remarks that were partly responsible for someone committing suicide... all this stuff is just there, unless people take an active interest in periodically cleaning house once in a while.

Anybody born in the last ten years can potentially have every incriminating remark they've ever made online since they became techno/literate preserved forever. It's going to be interesting to see how people going for job interviews 10 years from now clean up their online presence to make sure nothing incriminating comes out that could cost them a job.

This is so true. I found some old posts I made 15 years ago and it's hard to believe that I wrote them. Good point.

Ploid 3.0

The trailer and comments from fans on youtube made me pick up the book on google play. I sort of wish it was a netflix or hbo series but it probably needs the movie budget for the cg stuff. 2 hours for all of that.

JCHandsom

This thread has given me life, much like how Iron Giant gave his life in the 1999 cult classic The Iron Giant directed by Brad Bird.

Not

Banned
So let's lay it out there. Who thinks this shit is going to be in a Spielberg movie? This is a thread about the movie and not the book, right? It's getting tiresome.

The best part of the book was the conceit. National Treasure in a VR world. Awesome.

It was OVERPOWERED by the execution. I'm actually optimistic, but the trailer didn't give me hopes that they'd remove the dumbass narration entirely. Ernie Cline co-wrote the screenplay. You KNOW that shizz got voiceover.

The Bechdel test will be incredibly far from where we start. Here's us, right? We're in Santa Monica just getting onto the I-10. The Bechdel Test is just coming into Tallahassee.

z3phon

I read part of the book on my lunch hour today...

What the hell is this? It honestly reads like fan-fiction written by a 17-year-old.
No kidding. After hearing all the hype about the book and finally reading it gotta say i was left pretty disappointed.
Writing was pretty bad. Also i dont know anything about the author so he might actually be a gamer but while reading the book it felt as if it was written by someone who didnt know much about video games.

Dhx

The best part of the book was the conceit. National Treasure in a VR world. Awesome.

It was OVERPOWERED by the execution. I'm actually optimistic, but the trailer didn't give me hopes that they'd remove the dumbass narration entirely. Ernie Cline co-wrote the screenplay. You KNOW that shizz got voiceover.

Well, you certainly nailed it in concept. It's National Treasure in VR more or less once it gets rolling. And Cline may have written the screenplay, but Spielberg will do whatever he wants, and the studio will be 100% behind him. The rights are sold. Cline is a token at this point to be used for marketing.

The VO in the teaser doesn't concern me. I trust Spielberg enough to not go that route.

The Bechdel test will be incredibly far from where we start. Here's us, right? We're in Santa Monica just getting onto the I-10. The Bechdel Test is just coming into Tallahassee.

Eh. This movie could go in many directions that pass or fail the "Bechdel Test (3/3)." It's not exactly a sign of quality one way or the other, but, it's certainly something every writer should consider as one of many general self-checks during the writing process to keep themselves honest.

No kidding. After hearing all the hype about the book and finally reading it gotta say i was left pretty disappointed.
Writing was pretty bad. Also i dont know anything about the author so he might actually be a gamer but while reading the book it felt as if it was written by someone who didnt know much about video games.

Yup, he's a gamer that doesn't understand games or game design.

Not

Banned
Eh. This movie could go in many directions that pass or fail the "Bechdel Test (3/3)." It's not exactly a sign of quality one way or the other, but, it's certainly something every writer should consider as one of many general self-checks during the writing process to keep themselves honest.

I just meant as part of a larger problem stemming from the role of women in the book. Fantasy creatures with fake agency. We'll see if it jumps along into the movie.

Come on. Could someone who didn't know much about video games write this?

Arbogast had then assembled a dream team of creative consultants and contractors to help make his bold claim a reality, luring some of the videogame industry’s brightest stars away from their own companies and projects, with the sole promise of collaborating on his groundbreaking new MMOs. That was how gaming legends like Chris Roberts, Richard Garriott, Hidetaka Miyazaki, Gabe Newell, and Shigeru Miyamoto had all wound up as consultants on both Terra Firma and Armada— along with several big Hollywood filmmakers, including James Cameron, who had contributed to the EDA’s realistic ship and mech designs, and Peter Jackson, whose Weta Workshop had rendered all of the in-game cinematics. 

Chaos Terrain had created its own custom games engine for both Terra Firma and Armada, using many of the same programmers who had worked on previous combat-simulation game series like Battlefield, Call of Duty, and Modern Warfare, and on existing aerial and space combat simulators like Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, and EVE Online.

In case my sarcasm wasn't obvious, Armada, a book entirely about video games, makes it clear he doesn't understand them at all.

kubus

Yup, he's a gamer that doesn't understand games or game design.
This is what really annoyed me in the book. Cline just keeps piling on stuff and adding things to the Oasis that he thinks is cool. The Oasis is not a fantasy, nor a sci-fi nor a millitary MMO, it's fucking everything all at the same time. There's samurai, cowboys, space marines, jedi's, soldiers, androids, etc. all co-existing in this game. How does PVP work between a player with a gun and a player with a sword? Shit doesn't make sense.

I read that in his other book Armada the main game is made by all the best game designers in the world, like Gabe Newell, Shigeru Miyamoto, Hidetaka Miyazaki etc.You have to be either clueless about how the game industry works, or 12 years old, to write something like that. (edit: beaten by above poster :p)

I'm actually optimistic, but the trailer didn't give me hopes that they'd remove the dumbass narration entirely. Ernie Cline co-wrote the screenplay. You KNOW that shizz got voiceover.

If the leaked script is anything to go by... lol

The movie starts with narration by Wade and ends with narration. Even worse, there's an epilogue where a little kid named Ernie just finished learning about Wade's story and how Aech made Oasis 2, and then decides to solve Aech's scavenger hunt.

Also, Artemis has sex with Wade the first time they meet, then she bails the next morning because "we cant be together :(", gets kidnapped immediately after, and Wade is sent on a mission by Ogden to save his girl. Which he does, obviously. This all ties into one of the challenges of the hunt or something. I also don't think it pass the bechdel test...

But this is a really early version of the script so HOPEFULLY all of this is edited/removed. If not... welp.

Aiii

So not worth it
So let's lay it out there. Who thinks this shit is going to be in a Spielberg movie? This is a thread about the movie and not the book, right? It's getting tiresome.

And yet it's totally fair game to talk about the shitty source material to an unreleased adaptation.

Even more so when said shitty writer got screenplay writing credits on the adaptation.

Every time I enter this thread, I'm hoping discussion has turned to Spielberg's work on the movie. It's interesting that he's shouting in the Volume again ala TinTin.

There have been articles this week saying he sought tech help from Cameron in how to shoot this film, but I have a feeling they've misunderstood and are referring to the time when Spielberg trained with Cameron for TinTin specifically.

But you know. Source material is shit. So let's talk for another 10 pages about that.

I wish for this every time Spielberg announces any project, but usually it becomes a discussion about how much his movie will suck or how much he's "lost it". Then again, I keep wishing for him to make another Munich, so meh.

Huh. It's something how he professes to save women from being treated like objects by treating them like objects.

WAIT, inspired by his FUTURE WIFE???

tumblr_n3y48uNc3d1r7y19zo1_250.gif

G-Fex

In case my sarcasm wasn't obvious, Armada, a book entirely about video games, makes it clear he doesn't understand them at all.

That's amazing. Does every character from every videogame come out at the end of the book with everything for a HUGE party?

Hektor

Call of Duty AND modern warfare huh 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I asked this earlier in the thread, but I don't think anyone answered.

I've read the book and didn't mind it. It was just a fun, quick, mindless read. If you can remove any sort of pre-conceived ideas that this book is bad and read it for what it is, you'll enjoy it as such. There are MANY shittier books out there. This is just kind of a cool "romp through nerd pop-culture" that you can knock out in a weekend if you're looking to get back into reading (which is exactly how I treated it).

However!

The trailer for this movie looks NOTHING like the book. I don't seem to remember a lot of what the trailer advertised. Is this movie supposed to be based on the book's world instead of being based off the book's story?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I asked this earlier in the thread, but I don't think anyone answered.

I've read the book and didn't mind it. It was just a fun, quick, mindless read. If you can remove any sort of pre-conceived ideas that this book is bad and read it for what it is, you'll enjoy it as such. There are MANY shittier books out there. This is just kind of a cool "romp through nerd pop-culture" that you can knock out in a weekend if you're looking to get back into reading (which is exactly how I treated it).

However!

The trailer for this movie looks NOTHING like the book. I don't seem to remember a lot of what the trailer advertised. Is this movie supposed to be based on the book's world instead of being based off the book's story?

A lot of the book really need to be changed to make it to the big screen. The over reliance on the references in nearly part alone to actually advance in the game wouldn't work nearly as well for a big budget block buster targeted at general audiences. They'll fill it with references but actually relying on those to move the story along would have been problematic at best. Not only that but a lot of the books actual events and puzzles wouldn't really be all that fun or interesting to watch so I think Spielberg doing his own thing with the idea and world is the best thing we can all hope for.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
A lot of the book really need to be changed to make it to the big screen. The over reliance on the references in nearly part alone to actually advance in the game wouldn't work nearly as well for a big budget block buster targeted at general audiences. They'll fill it with references but actually relying on those to move the story along would have been problematic at best. Not only that but a lot of the books actual events and puzzles wouldn't really be all that fun or interesting to watch so I think Spielberg doing his own thing with the idea and world is the best thing we can all hope for.

I think changing to a visual medium would work better in some cases and worse in others. At the beginning of the book there's a load of footnotes describing the visual references to Heathers in a video ("the mourners are actually all actors and extras from the same funeral scene in Heathers") which come off as really clunky and pointless, but in the film version could probably just use those scenes without being explicitly pointed out, which would be much better as an easter egg style reference. However, later scenes where the character has to quote along with a scene from another film without making mistakes would just be ridiculously boring to watch.

Moving the references to the background without explicitly highlighting them would solve a lot of the issues people have with the book which is all tell and no show, the character is constantly pointing out references because it's not a visual medium and it comes across as smug and "check this out" rather than world building. It wouldn't solve some of the awful dialogue and character traits, but that's undeniably going to be changed by the scriptwriters anyway.

I had to attend quite a lot of meetings in the last year talking about VR, and "Ready Player One" has been dropped as a reference quite a lot (mostly by people who are not involved in game design, coding, or digital art making actually).

I thought I better read it then, and wow, it's such a regressive piece of garbage. If they stay true to the book, the film will be a gamergater's troll bait topic for years to come.

Edit:
To sound less bitter about having read the whole of "Ready Player One", if the movie turns out fine, a lot of people will have done a pretty stellar job of turning around a difficult source material.

I mean, does it really matter if the book was a crap book

you know what else was a crap book when it came out

41qGU9Lq-eL._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

knowing Spielberg, he can often turn crap, into greatness just look at Jurassic Park which was another mediocre novel

Aiii

So not worth it
Honestly feel that JP is a mediocre story that people love due to special effects and nostalgia.

So yeah, guess twenty years from now the ten year olds from today will buy lootcrates full of RPO merchandise.

"Arbogast had then assembled a dream team of creative consultants and contractors to help make his bold claim a reality, luring some of the videogame industry’s brightest stars away from their own companies and projects, with the sole promise of collaborating on his groundbreaking new MMOs. That was how gaming legends like Chris Roberts, Richard Garriott, Hidetaka Miyazaki, Gabe Newell, and Shigeru Miyamoto had all wound up as consultants on both Terra Firma and Armada— along with several big Hollywood filmmakers, including James Cameron, who had contributed to the EDA’s realistic ship and mech designs, and Peter Jackson, whose Weta Workshop had rendered all of the in-game cinematics.

Chaos Terrain had created its own custom games engine for both Terra Firma and Armada, using many of the same programmers who had worked on previous combat-simulation game series like Battlefield, Call of Duty, and Modern Warfare, and on existing aerial and space combat simulators like Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, and EVE Online."

Uhh what the...

I wonder if the movie will miss the underlying main point of the book as much as nearly everyone who reads it does - i.e. that pop culture indulgence is nothing more than a means to placate and distract the masses from mega-corporations destroying the world with greed.

I wonder if the movie will miss the underlying main point of the book as much as nearly everyone who reads it does - i.e. that pop culture indulgence is nothing more than a means to placate and distract the masses from mega-corporations destroying the world with greed.

That may be the unintentional message, but you just need to look at Cline in his Deloean to know he didn't do it on purpose.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...

Does it count if you know, but don't care?

Pilgrimzero

Hey guys I know it's page 22 but has anyone mentioned how shitty this book is and posted examples?

Just wanted to make sure people knew so we could have an ongoing rant.

Hey guys I know it's page 22 but has anyone mentioned how shitty this book is and posted examples?

Just wanted to make sure people knew so we could have an ongoing rant.
It's what keeping the thread kicking and screaming, like that film by Noah Baumbach, who went on to collaborate with Wes Anderson on The Life Aquatic.

Top Bottom