• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend some comedians?

cormack12

Gold Member
Hey Gaf,

Not a comedy expert in any way, but bit bored looking for something to just make me laugh these days. Here's some likes and dislikes. Looking more for stand up routines but suggestions on shows are OK too (like TV series rather than full sitcoms though). Cheers, will pop back later for some suggestions......

Richard Pryor
Eddie Murphy
Mitch Hedberg
Robin Williams
Lee Evans
Sarah Silverman
Bill Hicks
Improv. stuff like Who's line is it anyway (with Greg/Colin etc.)

Tried but not really a fan of
Dave Chapelle
Louis CK
Al Murray
Amy Schumer
Aziz Ansari
Kevin Hart

John Mulaney is pretty good. He has a (or two?) stand up's on Netflix. I'm personally a fan of his and Nick Kroll's "too much tuna" bit, and subsequently loved their Broadway thing, which is also on Netflix.

If you're really into actual improv, podcasts are pretty great. Improv4humans is that in its pure form. Comedy Bang Bang is a bit looser.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Michael McIntyre is a right laugh innit.

*Silly voices silly voices*

Can't get enough of it.

Fbh

I saw a special of Trevor Noah the other day on Netflix and loved it.

He does a lot of impressions and accents (talks a lot about his experiences interacting with people from around the world) so you have to like that sort of thing. But I found his humor to be pretty clever combining jokes with social commentary.

Unfathomability

Neo Member
I have been beating the "female comedians" drum in basically every topic about stand-up since I joined, and am not about to stop now. Here are some of my favorites (a bit hard to match to your "likes", but don't really fit your "dislikes" either, so ymmw).

Natasha Leggero
She has a bit of the Silverman "uncaring asshole" vibe, and does it very well. Condecending, haughty, and really sardonic. Really cool.

Sara Schaefer
Self-critical, kinda quiet, good storyteller.

Maria Bamford
Alt-comedy legend - her act is really inventive and at times weird. Really good at voices and characters.

Emily Heller
Dweeb, looks at the world as an outsider (even more than most standups, I feel).

Aparna Nancherla
Anxious, jumpy, ironic. Really well-crafted jokes delived with apparently *no* confidence. Hilarious still.

Kate Willett
"No love for a piece-of-shit woman". Her stand-up feels like a thesis delivered in the form of personal stories.

Jackie Kashian
Middle-aged lady-geek, a lot of her jokes and stories can double as life advice. One of my all-time favorites.

I really enjoy all of these, but no stand-up is for everyone. Each have at least one album on Spotify.

SexyFish

Banned
Hannibal Burress
John Mulaney
Bill Burr

I also love Donald Glover's standup but you're not going to find much besides Weirdo and his Comedy Central bit.

Doug Stanhope for your fix of nihilistic, self-destructive drunken debauchery. He's frequently compared to Hicks and Carlin (much to his annoyance), was a mate of Hedburg's back in the day. He's not for the faint of heart, but in my opinion is one of the very best comedians working today.

8byte

Banned
Here are some comedians on Spotify you should check out:

Tommy Johnnigan
Billy Wayne Davis
Nate Bargatze
Tig Notaro

These are all comics who are hilarious, smart, and not yet super famous.

Gastone

Well, the ones i like are:

Eddie Murphy (Delirious is the best stand-up ever)
Eddie Izzard
Alan Carr
Jimmy Carr
Denis Leary
Dave Chapelle
Ali Wong
Chris Rock
Kevin Bridges

Aske

Off the top of my head...

For improv:

- Hollywood Handbook (Hayes Davenport and Sean Clements)
- Wild Horses (Erin Whitehead, Stephanie Allyene, Mary Holland, Lauren Lapkus)
- Nick Kroll and John Mullaney
- Jessica St. Clair and Lennon Parham
- Paul F. Tomkins

For stand-up:

- Katie Crown
- Ron Funches
- Chelsea Peretti
- Stewart Lee
- Jen Kirkman
- Eliza Skinner
- Myq Kaplan
- Howard Kremer
- Tig Notaro
- Nikki Glaser
- Rhea Butcher
- Karen Kilgariff
- Deborah DiGiovanni
- Mary Mack
- Zack Gakifianakis

Edit:

TV Shows:

- Kroll Show
- Kroll Show
- Kroll Show
- Bajillion Dollar Properties
- Broad City
- Brooklyn 99
- Rick and Morty
- Metalocalypse
- Archer
- The Sarah Silverman Program
- Kroll Show

Darksol

Dane Cook
Carrot Top
Larry the Cable Guy

/s

But seriously, a lot of good suggestions have already been provided.

Luschient

Co-signing all the Norm MacDonald suggestions.

Go watch a few episodes of Norm MacDonald Live on YT. There's always at least a few times each episode I'm in fucking tears.

New002

A lot has already been covered.

Check out Emo Philips.

Wikipedia said:
Emo Philips is an American comedian. Much of his stand-up comedy makes use of paraprosdokians spoken in a wandering falsetto tone of voice.

He's a pretty unique and unconventional guy with a routine to match, and has been doing stand-up for a long, long time. I really dig his style. I saw him last year I think at a screening of UHF where he was a guest/commentator and he was amazing.

Ecto311

Dave attell and Jim Norton are a few of my favs you didn't list yet. Been listening to some old opie and anthony episodes on youtube and goddamn is it good. Wish I listened back in the day when they were airing. Jim kills it on that show 99% of the time. His chip chipperson podacast is fantastic too.

Machine

I'm glad to see a few people recommend older material. Other old stuff worth checking out:

Redd Foxx
Sam Kinison
Steve Martin

AlphaDump

Gold Member
John Mulaney is pretty good. He has a (or two?) stand up's on Netflix. I'm personally a fan of his and Nick Kroll's "too much tuna" bit, and subsequently loved their Broadway thing, which is also on Netflix.

If you're really into actual improv, podcasts are pretty great. Improv4humans is that in its pure form. Comedy Bang Bang is a bit looser.

John Mulaney is hilarious, definitely would recommend his 2 standups.

Bill Burr - I liked his last two specials, but the ones prior I loved
John Mulaney
Nate Bargatze - a really unique delivery, reminds me so much of how I think it's crazy

Here are some of my favorite. Not all of them are as well known.
Nate bargatze
Tj miller
Jeff dye
Brandt Tobler
Rory scovel

jobrro

You could try Ricky Gervais' stand-ups. I'd start with the first one (Animals) and go in order if you like it.

Haven't seen it in a long time, so not sure if it holds up.

Top Bottom