• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore DE Details Revealed (Reduced Load Times, 2 New Overworlds, 10 Dungeons + More)

Shiggy

Does the combat get better

It doesn't change over the course of the game. You can get 3 new weapon types, but as they are just part of the DLC, the core game doesn't really put any emphasis on them.

So if you dislike it now, it probably won't get any better for you later on.

blakep267

Sorry, I hadn't posted the other half of the image:

Chances for a Recore sequel look very slim though :(
Comcept seems to be out anyway, and I'm not sure if Microsoft really sees a future for the IP.
You don't really need comcept tbh. Armature and asobo(with DE) did the development and Staten wrote the game. If armature isn't on board then there wouldn't be any further games

Shiggy

You don't really need comcept tbh. Armature and asobo(with DE) did the development and Staten wrote the game. If armature isn't on board then there wouldn't be any further games

Comcept's input was pretty decisive for the design/planning of the game. But then the Mighty No. 9 and Red Ash debacles happened, and it's obvious why Microsoft downplayed their involvement. For the DLC they probably weren't involved anymore though.

Colbert

Banned
And there are dinosaurs. Recore: Zero Dawn.

You spoiled the future game!

Also nice to see the game finally get some love on GAF. The game is so much underrated imo and game play has not changed with the update. The only part that was disappointing with the game was that it took 1 year to finally deliver the proposed tank frame.

Shiggy

You spoiled the future game!

Also nice to see the game finally get some love on GAF. The game is so much underrated imo and game play has not changed with the update. The only part that was disappointing with the game was that it took 1 year to finally deliver the proposed tank frame.

Reading some of the reviews from last year I cannot recognise the game ;)

It's a shame they didn't get to work on the game for one more year and maybe with a different engine from the start.

PaulloDEC

Looks great, I bought the game about a week back. Haven't loaded it up yet cause I'm trying to wait to play it on the X but this screen alone is making it hard.

I think the game cops a fair amount of flak for not looking exceptional in a market crammed with exceptional looking games, but honestly I think it's still pretty attractive. It was a great choice to set the new DE content at night, makes for some really cool vistas.

obsidian3o9awu.jpg

obsidian2psxpe.jpg

Sygma

Finished floor 5 of Eden Tower but couldn't figure out how to beat Victor. Will try again next days.

If you don't have the "tutorial messages" on then you ll have to tinker a bit with the combat gameplay, since it's a very specific element of it that you need to use

Finished the game and the side content. Absolutely raped the last boss while being under leveled which really surprised me, since the 2 bots in front of the dungeon were lvl 40 and pretty much were 2 shotting me if I let them catch me off guard. Fun stuff, love T8 NK but the real show stealer is definitely Seth with his adorable personality / lines. He cracked me up the whole time

When I had an X1, this was honestly one of my favorites. I loved the setting and the gameplay. Found it very rhythmic, and it scratched a sci-fi platformer itch that I didn't know I had. Loved the cadence to each fight, especially as the game progressively got harder or more complex. Do you pull an orb out for components, or destroy the enemy completely? And who is on your team when you do it.

Was it flawed? Of course. But I hope anybody getting to experience this for the first time enjoy it. I think it was actually a very special, underrated gem. Up there, for me, with Alpha Protocol, Spec Ops: The Line, and I'm others I'm sure.

I'd recommend just giving it a shot. Imo, it's better then you think.

Colbert

Banned
If you don't have the "tutorial messages" on then you ll have to tinker a bit with the combat gameplay, since it's a very specific element of it that you need to use

Victor down. Second fight was easier due to the fact I used the
Y-
Button accordingly. I also put Mack into the FL-1 frame which made the fight much easier as he never died and always had enough super power.

blakep267

Victor down. Second fight was easier due to the fact I used the
Y-
Button accordingly. I also put Mack into the FL-1 frame which made the fight much easier as he never died and always had enough super power.
YEah. Mack in the Fl1 frame is almost a one hit ko in some instances. The bean just tears through people.

I've found the yellow core to be wholly useless for the most part. Duncan in the dog or gorilla frame does tons of aoe damage and Mack in the spider frame gives you the sweep or the beam in the FL1er frame

Colbert

Banned
YEah. Mack in the Fl1 frame is almost a one hit ko in some instances. The bean just tears through people.

I've found the yellow core to be wholly useless for the most part. Duncan in the dog or gorilla frame does tons of aoe damage and Mack in the spider frame gives you the sweep or the beam in the FL1er frame

I just returned to the game after a year of absence but iirc I always used Seth in my FL-1. Its the first time I switched. Man, fights would be much easier I did this earlier. Nevermind.

Seth is good in Spider frame for offense. The rest of the time he's too defensive. The Tank shield is put on Joule, which is nice, but his K9 skill is rubbish. If his Ape skill taunted that might be something... As it is Mack and Duncan lead the way for me, usually Flier/Ape for combat. Ape AoE is very handy.

Shiggy

Did all of the traversal and arena dungeons now (and none of the voluntary adventure dungeons). In Shifting Sands another traversal dungeon popped up but I hadn't found all cells to open it up and then the storm started.

I also finished the second dungeon in Starving Sea (arena dungeon), which was pretty easy as I already was at level 39. Having done many of the dungeons, I also have quite a few health upgrades now. Also quickly picked up the final weapon upgrade so that I have all three now.

In total I'm at 78 prismatic cores in and there are still many to find. I'm not sure if I'll do the searching for all of them. I guess there are 100 in total? I also still need to finish Eden Tower floor 5 and the final boss.

blakep267

Did all of the traversal and arena dungeons now (and none of the voluntary adventure dungeons). In Shifting Sands another traversal dungeon popped up but I hadn't found all cells to open it up and then the storm started.

I also finished the second dungeon in Starving Sea (arena dungeon), which was pretty easy as I already was at level 39. Having done many of the dungeons, I also have quite a few health upgrades now. Also quickly picked up the final weapon upgrade so that I have all three now.

In total I'm at 78 prismatic cores in and there are still many to find. I'm not sure if I'll do the searching for all of them. I guess there are 100 in total? I also still need to finish Eden Tower floor 5 and the final boss.
There were 82 total cores pre patch. Not it's how many they added for DE

I guess this I can't complete this game. I am on Tower level 2 and there's an area where enemies spawn with holes in the floor and a barrier around it. I beat the enemies and fell. The checkpoint updated, but my spawn point is before the arena with the barrier up. If I restart, the barrier is down and it goes up when I enter and no enemies return. I can't progress!

Shiggy

There were 82 total cores pre patch. Not it's how many they added for DE

I could try to count on the map, was just too lazy.

I guess this I can't complete this game. I am on Tower level 2 and there's an area where enemies spawn with holes in the floor and a barrier around it. I beat the enemies and fell. The checkpoint updated, but my spawn point is before the arena with the barrier up. If I restart, the barrier is down and it goes up when I enter and no enemies return. I can't progress!

That part seems pretty buggy. I encountered the same error, but instead of restarting, I went back to the previous save spot in that level. Then going back the barrier was gone and enemies were respawning. Maybe try going back to the crawler and then coming back to this area, read somewhere that this helped someone else.

bumpkin

I keep reaching gates I can't get through and cores that seem impossible to get. You know, like the ones that spawn 3-5 tough enemies and trap you in an energy bubble after you see a lonely pod sitting in the sand and attempt to remove it. Argh.

Mapping target swapping to the right stick instead of giving the player camera control while aiming was an absolutely stupid design decision. It makes encounters against multiple enemies way more frustrating than they should be.

Colbert

Banned

You may have to restart the floor from the beginning. That should reset that save point! Hopefully!

You may have to restart the floor from the beginning. That should reset that save point! Hopefully!

I did! It reset it! I fell again after ten minutes of trying the battle! It locked me out again! Fuck this fucking shit game! Did anyone test this after a fucking year and a rerelease? This is one of the few game I played for fucking 15 hours(50 cores) and am going to delete immediately.

Shiggy

I did! It reset it! I fell again after ten minutes of trying the battle! It locked me out again! Fuck this fucking shit game! Did anyone test this after a fucking year and a rerelease? This is one of the few game I played for fucking 15 hours(50 cores) and am going to delete immediately.

When the barrier is up and you respawned outside, try going back to the past platform where your progress gets saved (you need to go backwards in the level). Then immediately go back to the platform with the enemies where the barrier should be down now.

But from the sounds of your post you also died repeatedly during that battle. For me, it definitely was the hardest in the game so far.

Probably answered already but if i buy the vanilla edition do i get the definitive upgrade?

Yes, you can just download a patch.

hollams

Gold Member
Game will not save progress anymore. I am early in the game, at the dungeon where you get the last color weapon. I beat that dungeon then went on to where you get another robot and then fast traveled back to my home base to make some improvements then quit the game.

Go back into the game and my save file has me back at the beginning of that dungeon.

Happened twice so I'm probably finished with this game. So frustrating.

Shiggy

Finished Eden Tower Level 5 and the final boss. At level 40 and with the weapon upgrade that lets you target several enemies it was pretty easy. Seeing as Starving Sea has level 45 enemies, I'm not sure if I'll finish the new final boss. I also don't really feel like finding all the boxes and remaining 30 cores (I'm at 82 now).

Overall I really enjoyed the game and think it's definitely worth 20 EUR. It obviously feels a bit like a rushed project with how the story ends, the platforming can be a bit frustrating at times, and the loading times are still too long. But I had fun with the exploration, the dungeons, and the combat.

Game will not save progress anymore. I am early in the game, at the dungeon where you get the last color weapon. I beat that dungeon then went on to where you get another robot and then fast traveled back to my home base to make some improvements then quit the game.

Go back into the game and my save file has me back at the beginning of that dungeon.

Happened twice so I'm probably finished with this game. So frustrating.

On Xbox One or Win 10? That would also make me stop playing the game.

Colbert

Banned
OT and not related to any comment above. Just made a meme may come in handy. Based on FL-1 and a certain head module:

d52XZvK.gif

Sygma

use the quick travel to get back to the entrance of the tower (even if you dont see the map you can still use quick travel). You basically can't fall there or you get that odd stuff, it happened to me too

I keep reaching gates I can't get through and cores that seem impossible to get. You know, like the ones that spawn 3-5 tough enemies and trap you in an energy bubble after you see a lonely pod sitting in the sand and attempt to remove it. Argh.

Mapping target swapping to the right stick instead of giving the player camera control while aiming was an absolutely stupid design decision. It makes encounters against multiple enemies way more frustrating than they should be.

I don't find this an issue, with practice. Just don't move the stick unless switching to benefit from combo or facing an enemy who is more dangerous.

For those fights, indeed for any multiple mob fights, I suggest throwing everything at the first target: shots, corebot attacks, corebot switches. This kills the thing and gets you a likely 10 combo for an instant extract on the next.

----

The falling in floor 2 issue hit me too. Really poor. I just reset the game and the savepoint had me just before that arena. Job done. Not ideal but not the end of the world.

hollams

Gold Member
Finished Eden Tower Level 5 and the final boss. At level 40 and with the weapon upgrade that lets you target several enemies it was pretty easy. Seeing as Starving Sea has level 45 enemies, I'm not sure if I'll finish the new final boss. I also don't really feel like finding all the boxes and remaining 30 cores (I'm at 82 now).

Overall I really enjoyed the game and think it's definitely worth 20 EUR. It obviously feels a bit like a rushed project with how the story ends, the platforming can be a bit frustrating at times, and the loading times are still too long. But I had fun with the exploration, the dungeons, and the combat.

On Xbox One or Win 10? That would also make me stop playing the game.

Windows 10 is where my game won't save. I spent an hour trying to get HDR working and then this happened.

Played for about a few hours now. Not sure if I want to keep going. The platforming aspects are pretty fun, but the combat is just...no. The fighting is mind numbing. I feel like I'm on auto pilot for every encounter.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just booted this up after installing the patch. All of my characters immediately leveled up to 32 after I killed the first enemy, so I guess EXP was carried over.

Looks like there's 1 new chest and 11 new Prismatic Cores in the old overworld areas, since that's what I'm missing and I had 100%. Fast travel load times are way better. Unfortunately the game still has bad stuttering problems where it'll freeze for half a second every so often.

There's some odd bugs like old already complete objective markers appearing. Like, there was an power cell marker on my map for a dungeon I already opened, so I found it and had Mack dig it up and it just disintegrated and the marker disappeared. There was this bug where an objective marker was permanently stuck on a spider ladder in the Cradle that's still happening too.

That T4NK dungeon you could get into in the original seems to have closed too.

Edit: Upon reopening it, I see that it's an entirely different dungeon now.. It's no longer Quicksand Rally, but Tumbledown, and it no longer has any Prismatic Cores in it. So there are now there are 2 cores that can only be obtained by playing the vanilla version first.

Edit: The post sandstorm Shifting Sands has an entirely separate collectible checklist. The ones that are obtainable in both versions overlap. A good deal more Prismatic cores and half a dozen health upgrades. So far I've collected all of the new collectibles in the old areas except for 3 Prismatic Cores in the original Shifting Sands layout. A bunch of the new cores here have been from Rogue Corebots that only spawn during sandstorms. I've swept the zone pretty thoroughly so it must be more of those. A couple of the core icons for these appear if you get near the area they will spawn in, but most of them don't unless the storm's going.

Edit: I was right. Got em all. Total Prismatic Core count is 112, so there were 30 new cores to get in the world and the new dungeons. Now on to the Starving Sea.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just finished getting all 1500g. Kinda disappointed there wasn't really an ending. I thought with the new plot revelations there'd be one, but I guess it's for the sequel if it ever comes.

I've done almost everything there is to do in this game other than max out Seth and actually build every blueprint part. Also stuck on 31/33 Rogue Corebots in the bestiary, which is driving me crazy. Want to get them before I put this down.

Shiggy

Wanted to take my system back online and so finally had to buy the game. The Russian Microsoft store has the game for just RUB 419 (I paid about EUR 6.30 in the end), and as the Xbox One is region-free, you can download it without any issues. Gift cards for the Russian store are available online.

Just finished getting all 1500g. Kinda disappointed there wasn't really an ending. I thought with the new plot revelations there'd be one, but I guess it's for the sequel if it ever comes.

I've done almost everything there is to do in this game other than max out Seth and actually build every blueprint part. Also stuck on 31/33 Rogue Corebots in the bestiary, which is driving me crazy. Want to get them before I put this down.

Seems likely, going by the comment from Shannon Loftis in her recent Gameinformer interview.

"Announcing ReCore: Definitive Edition was a little bit of a signal to people that got into the world of Far Eden and fell in love with these characters that we believe that that’s an IP with a lot of legs. "

I still need to pick it up, but those are encouraging words to read if you're a fan.

Shiggy

Just finished the DLC story. Not sure if the final boss just glitches on me, but I killed him in like 5 seconds by spamming bit attacks on him.

Top Bottom