• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore DE Details Revealed (Reduced Load Times, 2 New Overworlds, 10 Dungeons + More)

Colbert

Banned
They just killing it! Great fan support!

RECORE DEFINITIVE EDITION FANKIT available

It's a Fankit! What's a fankit? A fankit is a bunch of free downloadable stuff you can use to create something exciting or items you can simply enjoy as is. This particular kit, of course, revolves around the ReCore Definitive Edition!

The ReCore Definitive Edition Fankit includes:

Wallpaper: 1920 x 1080 (desktop)
Wallpaper: 720 x 1080 (mobile)
Music from the Soundtrack: ReCore's main theme in mp3 format
Font: The Corebot font in ttf format

https://communitysiteswest.blob.cor...wp-content/uploads/2017/08/ReCoreDEFankit.zip

If you'd like more ReCore freebies, you can also download the original fankit we released when ReCore first released.

The Original ReCore Fankit includes:

Livestreaming Assets: 3 different color overlays for livestreaming
Icons: 4 different ReCore icons
Logo: 1 ReCore logo
Wallpaper: 1 1920 x 1080 wallpaper

https://communitysiteswest.blob.cor.../wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Recore_FanKit.zip

Source: https://www.recoregame.com/recore-definitive-edition-fankit/

P.S. The best thing is the font! So cool!
ewKXyxC.png

Kneecap

Well, I bought this game on the windows store and I can't for the life of me see how to download it and install it on my PC. Sheesh but that MS Store interface sucks. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

Update. I figured it out, but that windows store interface is terrible. Hurricane Harvey terrible.

Well, I bought this game on the windows store and I can't for the life of me see how to download it and install it on my PC. Sheesh but that MS Store interface sucks. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

Update. I figured it out, but that windows store interface is terrible. Hurricane Harvey terrible.

Not gonna defend the Store that has trouble downloading shit (?!!!!), but doesn't install appear on the contextual menu beneath an item's name?

Anyway. Recore. Woop!

Sygma

I'd do Tower before Eye/the new area. Floor 5 of Tower is level 28, Eye is 36 at entry, and the gun addons are powerful.

The 'backtracking' thing is understandable from a 'critiquing inelegant game design' POV, because it forces it on the player, but the flipside is that it's not backtracking; if you race the story you've not explored 75% of the game, which is a real shame.

I think Eye is now the real 'end-game'. The 'fix' for Tower is also inelegant, but will be less frustrating for new players.

I got storms in SS after
beating Victor mk1 and Floor 1, then leaving the Tower. Presumably all it requires is beating Victor mk1.

Thanks ! and interesting, makes sense in regard of what Joule says after you re done with what is in your spoiler tag

Jawmuncher

Kinda mad that the new dungeon is fucking level 36. You beat the game at like 25. Where am I supposed to get 9 levels from (currently 27). None of the arena's even push enemies out that high.

PaulloDEC

Kinda mad that the new dungeon is fucking level 36. You beat the game at like 25. Where am I supposed to get 9 levels from (currently 27). None of the arena's even push enemies out that high.

Yeah, I've played a couple of the new dungeons and the bosses especially have been something else. Many, many deaths.

The final Tower floor is 28 - you don't have to be at that level to beat it, so I assume you don't need to be 36 for Obsidian. Furthermore, there are plenty of 30+ enemies in the new area, so far anyway, so they're probably a good bet.

choco-fish

That's quite a push up from the level I was at the end of the game, I can remember having to leave the tower twice to finish levelling up. The tower kinda ruined the game for me, all that beautiful open World replaced with a giant platforming section with forced choke points.

Hopefully this update has some great exploration sections/decent dungeons. Fingers crossed they've got it right with the update it's a nice surprise that they went back and tried to improve the game but it needed to be done sooner, game has such promise.

I want to buy the physical release for Xbox One, is everything included on the disk? I have some trouble finding an english UK copy for a decent price too, is the release limited?

Jawmuncher

The final Tower floor is 28 - you don't have to be at that level to beat it, so I assume you don't need to be 36 for Obsidian. Furthermore, there are plenty of 30+ enemies in the new area, so far anyway, so they're probably a good bet.

You definitely have to be more than 28 to beat this boss in the eye of obsidian. Looks like you can't even damage it
EDIT: you can beat the boss at level 29

rmatheso

On level 2 of the Tower right now. Darn those jumping sections with balls and force-fields. I had to grind a bit just to get the 30 prism cores to enter the tower. Some platforming dungeons only have the extra prism locked behind beating the time. There would be no way I would finish the game if you needed all 50 cores before.

That said, switching loadouts at those robot checkpoints is real handy because you need different combinations of robots/cores to get additional prism cores.

They really did fix the game here, with instant loads after dying which is a godsend on those platforming areas.

Devs, Good job fixing the game.. just don't release another broken like that again.

It's been a season of attempted redemption for last summer's most flawed games. First, No Man's Sky. Now ReCore.

http://kotaku.com/50-weeks-later-ma...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow
Nice! Stephen Totilo at Kotaku is taking a look at the Definitive Edition:
http://kotaku.com/50-weeks-later-major-update-improves-flawed-xbox-exclu-1798665976
...you might enjoy the new addition's difficult... jumping puzzles...

[gif showing Totilo dying at a relatively straightforward platforming section]

...It always merged good art direction with some satisfying and slightly puzzle-oriented shooting and jumping action and it always suffered from that being offset with some some overly hostile level design...
Seems like Totilo is finding the traversal/platforming dungeons to be difficult/hostile, but I'll mention that they seem pretty fair/fun to me, personally. I'm continuing to find that it's the (optional) challenge to achieve all objectives within a time limit that can be difficult in some cases, but otherwise the traversal/platforming stuff is quite fun, but not really too difficult. Curious to know what other folks here think about this.
http://kotaku.com/50-weeks-later-major-update-improves-flawed-xbox-exclu-1798665976
...ReCore's big new update shows the risk of fixing this kind of ship while it's out at sea... some of the Achievements I've earned while playing new dungeons show that few others are experiencing them. So far, as little as .68% of the game's player base appears to have even dipped back in to get the T8-NK. (The patch also is part of new copies of the game, so there are also likely new players who simply have yet to reach it). Achievements I've earned for playing the expansion's new dungeons show even smaller numbers...

For some of the new dungeons that are not part of the ‘Eye of Obsidian' adventure sequence, the numbers are especially low: the 'Stockpile Surge' and 'Devil's Dance' dungeons are currently only at 0.02%. I came upon these two dungeons and unlocked them while exploring
the Shifting Sands
, but it seems like they could be easy for players to miss (especially for returning players who have already searched original game's overworld and thus might call it quits after searching the 'Starving Sea' and completing 'Eye of Obsidian').

Jawmuncher

Tanks, Buddy seems like it can get glitched. I have 66% on it despite using all the cores for the kill command multiple times. I spent 30 minutes exploring and swapping the cores.

For me the difficulty/frustration level is strange as a newcomer. I'm in the Shifting Sands area, and I might come across a few enemies above my level and die in two hits due to the lock on not functioning the way I'd like. It'll respawn me miles and miles away, and I have no idea where I was. Or sometimes I'll fight them again and somehow they die super quickly and I don't even know what went on.

Or I'll fall from way up high some super long platforming section and survive and be nowhere near where I need to be to try again, maybe not even know how to get back.

Nabs

I'm liking this game a lot more than I expected. I would have never bothered if not for the free glitch the other day. Locking it to the WS seems like a huge mistake.

The game's fun so far. I'm enjoying the platforming with Seth. I had to jump through some hoops to get my Steam Controller functioning, but it was 100% worth it. Not having to lift my thumb from the camera or movement to Jump/Dash/Change Ammo is huge.

I hope I'll be able to knock this out before they lock me out.

Ennosuke

Yeah you only need 30 cores now for the whole tower, story wise, I've only done Pylon 512 and I'm a third of the way there already.

Cool, that is awesome! I have like 38 right now. Did a lot of exploring before going into the Tower. I hope that I will be able to beat the Tower. Did it become easier?

derFeef

I'm liking this game a lot more than I expected. I would have never bothered if not for the free glitch the other day. Locking it to the WS seems like a huge mistake.

The game's fun so far. I'm enjoying the platforming with Seth. I had to jump through some hoops to get my Steam Controller functioning, but it was 100% worth it. Not having to lift my thumb from the camera or movement to Jump/Dash/Change Ammo is huge.

I hope you support it if you really like it tho. And yeah, paddles are grat for this game :)

Tanks, Buddy seems like it can get glitched. I have 66% on it despite using all the cores for the kill command multiple times. I spent 30 minutes exploring and swapping the cores.

Yeah mine was odd. I had *definitely* done all three cores in it, no dice. I tooled about doing other stuff, hit Y during a fight, and ping, up it came.

As for difficulty. All I can say is, as a massive, massive fan of 3D platformers and exploring games, ReCore's platforming could do with being even more brutal. I love how so many jumps and sequences look impossible, and then you pull it off and feel ace. That .gif in the Kotaku article of being hit by falling boulders is kinda odd: they work on patterns, all the platforming is a giant pattern game. Observe, learn, attempt. Right up my street.

/gush

Edit: if the lockon is being odd, it may be because the enemy dashed. Can throw you very fast, have to reacquire or change targets. That said the combat can be a bit fiddly at times.

blakep267

So after you get tankbot and before you get to the SS you have to go to the initial area and when a race. I did that but now there are 2 chests that seem to be out of reach. How are you supposed to go about getting them. The ramps are all turned off

Shiggy

12 hours into the trial version now, and despite repeatedly attempting to continue with the story, I still haven't started the Warren yet. I have 38 cores now and considering I spent the last few hours solely on exploring the world and doing the arena dungeons, I can see why 45 cores would be seen as a high requirement.

I also wonder how you'd level up without exploring the world. I'm at level 26 now, but after the last story segment and before grinding I was maybe only at level 17 or 18.

Colbert

Banned
12 hours into the trial version now, and despite repeatedly attempting to continue with the story, I still haven't started the Warren yet. I have 38 cores now and considering I spent the last few hours solely on exploring the world and doing the arena dungeons, I can see why 45 cores would be seen as a high requirement.

I also wonder how you'd level up without exploring the world. I'm at level 26 now, but after the last story segment and before grinding I was maybe only at level 17 or 18.

The old way. Grinding.

Shiggy

Grinding makes it sound so bad. It was very inelegant, though.

For me it wasn't a negative as I was exploring the world and just fighting enemies. So I didn't go out with the objective to level up. But those who were just following the story were probably in for a bad surprise there.

I'm sure with more time and a higher budget the game could have been so much more.

Sygma

Cool, that is awesome! I have like 38 right now. Did a lot of exploring before going into the Tower. I hope that I will be able to beat the Tower. Did it become easier?

Tower is exactly the same

Enemies in the game received a bump in both damage and hp so the combat sections are tougher than they were

Does anybody know of any reviews or review updates for the Definitive Edition? Seems like a pretty major update that should warrant at least updates to reviews. But I found nothing noteworthy so far.

I am one the fence of buying this game. Even just because it's something quite different to play on the Xbone.

Does anybody know of any reviews or review updates for the Definitive Edition? Seems like a pretty major update that should warrant at least updates to reviews. But I found nothing noteworthy so far.

I am one the fence of buying this game. Even just because it's something quite different to play on the Xbone.

Totally unbiased not at all fanboy take: buy it.

Not seen any reviews.

gamz

Buy gamepass for a month. It's on there.

JimmyF

The boss in The Scalding cell was just awful, like it wasn't even play tested or something.

There is always radiation and a big robot dog that can hit you off the platform in toxic waste and if you try to get back up the platform he will just stand by the edge preventing you from ever getting back up.

And at the same time this annoying flying robot that keeps stunning you while the big dog kicks you off the platform again and again, basically the strategy is to never get hit...awful game design.

I would be surprised if you didn't get $20 worth of enjoyment out of the game even if you don't finish it and that's as someone who only played the half finished, buggy launch game.

Schlomo

Can anyone tell me how to turn on HDR in the PC version? I tried updating drivers and turning HDR on for the desktop, but nothing seems to make the game output HDR.

As for the game itself, I like it overall, but it's unfortunately pretty buggy (crashes after cutscenes, missed event triggers and such).

choco-fish

If you are enjoying it then don't you owe it to the developers to actually pay for it?

...All I can say is, as a massive, massive fan of 3D platformers and exploring games, ReCore's platforming could do with being even more brutal. I love how so many jumps and sequences look impossible, and then you pull it off and feel ace. That .gif in the Kotaku article of being hit by falling boulders is kinda odd: they work on patterns, all the platforming is a giant pattern game. Observe, learn, attempt. Right up my street...

Agree entirely with all of the above, in particular with the bolded point. But I can certainly understand if it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Some other impressions (from the OT) that matched my own experience with the game, for folks who are curious.

Toadthemushroom posted this in another thread:
GameCentral (Metro) review just went live. I might have to check this out - skipped ReCore.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/01/recore-definitive-edition-review-bigger-better-faster-6894607/

From a quick web search, it’s actually the only scored review of the Definitive Edition that’s coming up for me. Some excerpts:
http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/01/recore-definitive-edition-review-bigger-better-faster-6894607/
When ReCore was originally released, almost exactly a year ago... what was most frustrating is that it clearly could have been a great game. Why it was released in the state it was we have no idea, and we’re equally surprised that Microsoft was willing to fund this massive, free, update. But thank goodness they have, because this finally looks and plays like the game it always should have been… A full sequel is needed to completely fulfil on ReCore’s potential, but we suspect that is hoping for too much. We would welcome it though, as this is now a thoroughly enjoyable action adventure…

In Short: Half the price it originally was, but now twice as good – this third person take on Metroid Prime has been remastered into the game it always should have been.

Pros: Movement and combat controls are excellent, and corebots add variety. Joule is very likeable. Tons of new content, gameplay, and graphical fixes.

Cons: The end game is still problematic and the whole experience needs to be shorter, not longer. Bland art design.

Score: 7/10

Stephen Totilo's take on the Definitive Edition doesn't have a score attached, but Kotaku doesn't use scores for their reviews:
Stephen Totilo
Aug 31, 2017
...ReCore was fun from the start but suffered from bad loading times, questionable mission-gating and an overall lack of polish, to say nothing of its obviously missing content… ReCore’s big new update shows the risk of fixing this kind of ship while it’s out at sea… So far, as little as .68% of the game’s player base appears to have even dipped back in to get the T8-NK…

Even if few are playing it, the expansion helps the game a lot. For starters, T8-NK is good. You can ride him through ReCore’s vast desert zones and get to places more quickly. It’s both pleasing and an indictment, since it highlights the fact that releasing ReCore last year without T8-NK was like releasing The Witcher 3 without the horse…

The launch version of ReCore on Xbox One had load times long enough for bathroom breaks. Early patches helped and this new one slashes them more, leading to near-instant revival during combat deaths. It still leaves fast-travel between zones at 40 seconds to one minute [on Xbox One]. Thankfully, some smart changes to the map and to the amount of inventory and party management you can do at fast-travel stations makes it less necessary to leave one zone to go to another. Less need to travel makes the longer load times less of a liability…

The new update lessens the bad and adds some mostly good. It doesn’t solve ReCore’s problems but makes the overall game far easier to recommend. It’s a better game now...

Compare the above (Totilo's take on the Definitive Edition) to his original review of the game, from last year:
http://kotaku.com/recore-the-kotaku-review-1786741869
Stephen Totilo
Sep 16, 2016
...In modern gaming, potential is never completely squandered. Even a day before the game was out, a spokesperson for the game’s publisher, Microsoft, said the development team is “committed to improving where we can.” A big patch that shortens load times, squashes the bugs, makes the map more usable and even allows all of the bots to be swapped in and out at will could address a lot of ReCore’s problems. Perhaps, at some point, ReCore will be worth backtracking into to explore some more.

I began ReCore having a marvelous time. By the end, I had begun to resent it. It wasn’t that I felt rushed; I allowed myself extra days to play. It was just that the game is such a heart-sinker. It was created by people whose work I’ve greatly respected, but ReCore just doesn’t feel ready for all of us to be playing it.

Jawmuncher

Most people aren't doing the other 4 dungeons because they're tied to random storms in that area. Which is hella dumb. You literally have to sit on your ass and just wait for them to be "revealed". Really dumb of them to add 4 new dungeons like that.

blakep267

Most people aren't doing the other 4 dungeons because they're tied to random storms in that area. Which is hella dumb. You literally have to sit on your ass and just wait for them to be "revealed". Really dumb of them to add 4 new dungeons like that.
That was always kinda the promise. Sandstorms would reveal new secrets etc

Zedox

That was always kinda the promise. Sandstorms would reveal new secrets etc

Yea, when they first talked about ReCore...we were supposed to get new areas to be revealed through storms. I'm glad that they put that in. Does it suck if you want to get to it when you want? Yes...but it does make sense and I'm glad they kept with their promise. I do think that there is probably a more elegant way of doing it.

Yup. Another part of Recore you have to work with really. No reason it could not have been better implemented, but at the same time no reason to 'sit on your ass' waiting. If a storm starts, finish up and go elsewhere. Come back and bingo.

I wanted to pipe in to say that I'm really enjoying this game! Didn't play it originally upon release, so the DE is a fresh experience for me. 'Fresh' is actually a great way to describe the gameplay experience here - lots of interesting mechanics and design choices that I can't recall ever having been combined exactly like this.

I urge everyone to give this thing a try for $20.

Also, you can totally feel the Metroid Prime vibes. Things like music cues, lock-on aiming, feeling of isolation, etc.

So I can't find Recore Definitive Edition on the Win10 store. Only see "Recore."

Am I missing something?

EDIT: nvm I'm a dumbass it auto updated. sweet.

Shiggy

Another "I'm not continuing with the main story" post from me. I did the first dungeon in Starving Sea and it was the first time for me that I really disliked the game. It was the dungeon where you get the grenade addons. I really disliked the platforming and also the enemies at the end. Was definitely the hardest part so far.

Another "I'm not continuing with the main story" post from me. I did the first dungeon in Starving Sea and it was the first time for me that I really disliked the game. It was the dungeon where you get the grenade addons. I really disliked the platforming and also the enemies at the end. Was definitely the hardest part so far.

It was ace! Love how tricky it is :D

Eh, horses for courses.

Top Bottom