• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore DE Details Revealed (Reduced Load Times, 2 New Overworlds, 10 Dungeons + More)

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the first dungeon. It's okay so far but I kind of hate the combat. It's bad. Remapping the controls would be a solid option to have as well.

For me, ReCore is one of the games where the Elite controller really shines. Staying on the move during combat is kind of essential, I think, and just the basic layout of having the face buttons mapped to the paddles feels perfect in those moments. I don't know what it would feel like to take my thumb off the right stick (sacrificing camera control) during a busy fight in order to evade with a quick dash-jump or land a corebot attack, but I don't think I would like it at all.

Obviously that's no help whatsoever if you're using a normal controller, I just think maybe I understand what you're saying. I'd recommend an Elite controller to anyone who appreciates a deeper level of control with their games, who maybe goes into remapping buttons and stuff. It's well worth the investment, I think. I love the thing.

I pray for ReCore to be one of their manstays like Halo, Gears, Forza as the foundation of the game is rock solid. They can make it a little bit more cinematic, have less stuff on the hud but more visual cues for stuff and make the game more detailed (graphical upgrade) and it would be an AAA game worthy of it. The story is pretty good and has a good foundation to expand upon as well.

I feel like ReCore is going to be apart of their "new IP" group with Sea of Thieves, and Ori.

I have to assume that Microsoft has future plans for recore if they went out the way to fix and repromote the game in this way.

From your lips to Spencer's ears.

I was watching some streams and I'm seeing that nobody shoots the yellow boxes that are lying around. I haven't played the early levels in a year but I thought it was obvious that they contained extra goodies. People just walk past them

I wonder if it's an age thing, younger gamers have grown up with a lot of games with lots of tooltips, highlighted objects, popup hints etc. whereas older games grew up shooting everything and exploring lots of nooks and crannies just in case.

Although, thinking about it a bit more, it's probably because they want to keep the stream moving because there is nothing exciting about blowing up boxes and collecting parts

gamz

That boss right after you go to the crawler for the second time was a bitch to beat. Quite the escalation. What the hell do I do with the scraps that you combine and shit?

Also, I saw a YouTuber that was where I am but was shooting a big red ball thing? How do I do that?

Shiggy

That boss right after you go to the crawler for the second time was a bitch to beat. Quite the escalation. What the hell do I do with the scraps that you combine and shit?

Also, I saw a YouTuber that was where I am but was shooting a big red ball thing? How do I do that?

You press RT for the "fast shots" and RB for the "charged shots". If you enable the red-coloured weapon upgrade (dead right), the charged shots are red and can damage red enemies faster. These charged shots look like a red ball.

I just finished the Core Foundry and did some backtracking to level up my character. Am level 16 now (with some enemies that I found level 20 or above) and have 17 prismatic cores. 5 hours into the trial version so far.

gamz

You press RT for the "fast shots" and RB for the "charged shots". If you enable the red-coloured weapon upgrade (dead right), the charged shots are red and can damage red enemies faster. These charged shots look like a red ball.

I just finished the Core Foundry and did some backtracking to level up my character. Am level 16 now (with some enemies that I found level 20 or above) and have 17 prismatic cores. 5 hours into the trial version so far.

Ah! Thanks man!

Your last line cracks me up. 5 hours into the trail version.

blakep267

You can combine or split parts depending on what a frame needs. Only the higher level frames require pristine parts etc so your likely gonna need to split the higher level parts to worn etc and craft frames from blueprints

Shiggy

Where do I find the Tank bot? It told me to go to the rebel camp, but where's that?

Edit: you get there when talking to the fast travel bot.

Gator86

For me, ReCore is one of the games where the Elite controller really shines. Staying on the move during combat is kind of essential, I think, and just the basic layout of having the face buttons mapped to the paddles feels perfect in those moments. I don't know what it would feel like to take my thumb off the right stick (sacrificing camera control) during a busy fight in order to evade with a quick dash-jump or land a corebot attack, but I don't think I would like it at all.

Obviously that's no help whatsoever if you're using a normal controller, I just think maybe I understand what you're saying. I'd recommend an Elite controller to anyone who appreciates a deeper level of control with their games, who maybe goes into remapping buttons and stuff. It's well worth the investment, I think. I love the thing.

Yeah, I'll probably plop down cash for an Elite at some point.

I don't know about Recore though. I'm like 2.5 hours in and my snap judgment of it is "what is Horizon had way more platforming and was also bad?" The post apocalyptic open world, chatty female protagonist, machine animals, and such make the comparison stick out too much for me. I got bored and went back to Final Fantasy 14.

I'll give this another shot over the weekend to try and push through to see if it clicks.

It is a very different kettle of fish to Horizon (!). Far 'gamier', despite robots and ladies and post apocalypse. Very different sensibilities.

Really loved this game but didn't end up finishing it because of the amount of Prismatic cores needed to advance in the Tower. I just didn't enjoy trying to find them in the world. Seeing that they adjusted this has me super excited to return to it!

Gator86

It is a very different kettle of fish to Horizon (!). Far 'gamier', despite robots and ladies and post apocalypse. Very different sensibilities.

Yeah, they're clearly going for different things, but a lot of the trappings are quite similar in nature. My issue with the game so far is less superficial similarities to Horizon and more that nothing has grabbed me so far. The combat is meh early on and the platforming while surprisingly okay isn't exactly a huge hook yet.

Still planning to put more time in though.

Where do I find the Tank bot? It told me to go to the rebel camp, but where's that?

Not sure if you found it already, but perhaps this would be a good excuse to plug the Digital Guide that the dev team put together, as it may be of interest to others:
https://twitter.com/ReCoreGame/status/902292509161734145
28 Aug 2017
We have a printable + digital GUIDE & MAP for those who want to dive into the latest adventure in #ReCore DE!
https://www.recoregame.com/recore-definitive-edition-printable-digital-guide-maps/

avg8NLb.png

munroe

Really loved this game but didn't end up finishing it because of the amount of Prismatic cores needed to advance in the Tower. I just didn't enjoy trying to find them in the world. Seeing that they adjusted this has me super excited to return to it!

Yeah you only need 30 cores now for the whole tower, story wise, I've only done Pylon 512 and I'm a third of the way there already.

Sygma

Not to sound rude but this was straight up an overblown "psychological" bad reason rather than an actual issue in game.

I think you needed 50 cores total. They added Prismatic Cores literally everywhere in the definitive edition in order to access the end game dungeons easier ... and it just kinda feels less adventurous, but much more streamlined. They re literally handing 3 to you in side dungeons now : |

I just reached E tower floor 1 on my new save, after the warrens, with 48 cores in ~6h30 , didn't touch a couple of dungeons but yeah. (none of the ones needing the flying bot + of course the high levels ones from lvl 25)

Speaking of ! anyone knows if the Sandstorms in Shifting sands are triggered after clearing E tower ?

Should I do Eye of the obsidian (as in, the dlc content) before clearing tower ? kinda afraid it ll completely trivialise the combat encounters of the towers tho, in regard of the gun upgrades you get in the new zone ...

witness

Holy shit I had no idea the update was out and that the game is now on Gamepass! Downloading now, perfect time to dive into this over the long weekend.

Zedox

I didn't even put my paddles on my elite for ReCore yet...that will be done tomorrow when I play again. Especially now that you gotta press the face buttons twice for the different functions (when you play the new dungeons...). Thank god I bought an elite controller. Best, hands down.

I'm playing the new dungeon Shadow Walls or something and the boss on that one is pretty difficult (probably also because i'm wrapping my head around the controls again after not playing for almost a year. So much fun as there was so much going on at the same time...shit got crazy and it was dark trying to figure out who the shoot...loved it.

Not to sound rude but this was straight up an overblown "psychological" bad reason rather than an actual issue in game.

I think you needed 50 cores total. They added Prismatic Cores literally everywhere in the definitive edition in order to access the end game dungeons easier ... and it just kinda feels less adventurous, but much more streamlined. They re literally handing 3 to you in side dungeons now : |

I just reached E tower floor 1 on my new save, after the warrens, with 48 cores in ~6h30 , didn't touch a couple of dungeons but yeah. (none of the ones needing the flying bot + of course the high levels ones from lvl 25)

Speaking of ! anyone knows if the Sandstorms in Shifting sands are triggered after clearing E tower ?

Should I do Eye of the obsidian (as in, the dlc content) before clearing tower ? kinda afraid it ll completely trivialise the combat encounters of the towers tho, in regard of the gun upgrades you get in the new zone ...

I'd do Tower before Eye/the new area. Floor 5 of Tower is level 28, Eye is 36 at entry, and the gun addons are powerful.

The 'backtracking' thing is understandable from a 'critiquing inelegant game design' POV, because it forces it on the player, but the flipside is that it's not backtracking; if you race the story you've not explored 75% of the game, which is a real shame.

I think Eye is now the real 'end-game'. The 'fix' for Tower is also inelegant, but will be less frustrating for new players.

I got storms in SS after
beating Victor mk1 and Floor 1, then leaving the Tower. Presumably all it requires is beating Victor mk1.

When I first played the game I only had a regular controller. Playing now with the elite, after being used to the paddles is indeed game changing.

So good.gif

Shiggy

I'd do Tower before Eye/the new area. Floor 5 of Tower is level 28, Eye is 36 at entry, and the gun addons are powerful.

The 'backtracking' thing is understandable from a 'critiquing inelegant game design' POV, because it forces it on the player, but the flipside is that it's not backtracking; if you race the story you've not explored 75% of the game, which is a real shame.

I think Eye is now the real 'end-game'. The 'fix' for Tower is also inelegant, but will be less frustrating for new players.

I got storms in SS after
beating Victor mk1 and Floor 1, then leaving the Tower. Presumably all it requires is beating Victor mk1.

How/where do I unlock the three new weapon types?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't even put my paddles on my elite for ReCore yet...that will be done tomorrow when I play again. Especially now that you gotta press the face buttons twice for the different functions (when you play the new dungeons...). Thank god I bought an elite controller. Best, hands down.

I'm playing the new dungeon Shadow Walls or something and the boss on that one is pretty difficult (probably also because i'm wrapping my head around the controls again after not playing for almost a year. So much fun as there was so much going on at the same time...shit got crazy and it was dark trying to figure out who the shoot...loved it.

Sounds good! I'm looking forward to getting into the new dungeons.

I agree, the Elite is the best controller I ever held. To be honest I'm pretty much using all four paddles for every game now. It just feels so good, now I've got the hang of it. I actually went a bit overboard for a while there and started creating my own different button layouts, trigger sensitivities and stuff like that for every single game I own... It got a bit out of hand, having all the different profiles saved in the controller settings. I've dialled that back a bit now :-D But yeah, I think when you use the paddles for ReCore it will literally be a game-changer.

blakep267

Should I go to Starving Sea already or will I be underpowered? It's my current objective as I found the entrance to that area, but for the main game I've just entered Shifting Sands.
What's your level. I'm at lvl 20 with 33 cores and I essentially beat the game last year; the enemies were level 25 so I was getting washed so I left for a little while

Shiggy

What's your level. I'm at lvl 20 with 33 cores and I essentially beat the game last year; the enemies were level 25 so I was getting washed so I left for a little while

I need to check, but I think I'm at level 17 or 18. Have been trying to level up on the overworld as enemies were at level 20-25.

Haven't been able to try it out yet and honestly i'm now waiting for X to release so i'll start playing it on that. But have the loading times indeed been improved that drastically?

I need to check, but I think I'm at level 17 or 18. Have been trying to level up on the overworld as enemies were at level 20-25.

The new area has enemies in mid-late 30s at points, and presumably higher in the story dungeons, so probably best not to go there just yet.

PaulloDEC

I beat the game last year (including the entire E-Tower) and I'm getting routinely thumped in the new area. Myself and my bots are all around level 28.

I'm wondering if I'm going to have to do the E-Tower again (I believe the game places you back just before you started it when you choose to jump back in after finishing the story) just to grind myself up a few levels.

Shiggy

The new area has enemies in mid-late 30s at points, and presumably higher in the story dungeons, so probably best not to go there just yet.

I actually went to the Starving Sea area now because I was curious. Lots of tank bots roaming around. I found the first dungeon in this area, but quickly moved back to explore Shifting Sands. I definitely need to level up first.

Already have 30 cores now, and I haven't done many dungeons and haven't started with the Warren yet.

Can anyone confirm that the physical edition Microsoft is selling has the DE content on disc and isn't just the original disc that'll get an update?

Zedox

I beat the game last year (including the entire E-Tower) and I'm getting routinely thumped in the new area. Myself and my bots are all around level 28.

I'm wondering if I'm going to have to do the E-Tower again (I believe the game places you back just before you started it when you choose to jump back in after finishing the story) just to grind myself up a few levels.

Yea, I think I may go back and get things I was missing in the other areas to level up and ish just because this new area is no joke and I love it.

Cels

i've been looking at videos and gifs of this game and one kind of minor thing jumps out to me

the font they use is really similar to the one nvidia uses for its branding, it it's not the same one

gamz

Haven't been able to try it out yet and honestly i'm now waiting for X to release so i'll start playing it on that. But have the loading times indeed been improved that drastically?

I have no idea how it was previously but loading times are non-existent. The only time when it loads for a length of time is when you start the game, but that's all games.

Shiggy

I have no idea how it was previously but loading times are non-existent. The only time when it loads for a length of time is when you start the game, but that's all games.

I assume you are using the PC version? On Xbox One, there ere are still very lengthy loading times when entering dungeons or loading new areas.

Top Bottom