• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Official Trailer

Theorry

I doubt it. Why waste alot of money when a normal trailer on a different day probably melts the internet by itself. They will get all the attention then already.

Isn't it common to show video games trailers on this event? I was convinced that some trailers were shown before. Remember that live action God of War for Ascension (I think it was Ascension) wasn't it shown on the super bowl?

Boem

I doubt it. Why waste alot of money when a normal trailer on a different day probably melts the internet by itself. They will get all the attention then already.

These games aren't just aimed at the people following gamer news online. Sure, a new Rockstar trailer will get a lot of attention online, but the mainstream audience not following that stuff is still even bigger. Don't underestimate how big the Superbowl crowd is (or even how much attention just the commercials get). This way they'll reach both audiences.

Other companies have done it in the past and it must have payed off for them. Same with big movie trailers etc. Hell, don't forget about all those crappy mobile games getting Superbowl commercials with big-name actors. It's a big business, and the pure internet enthusiast crowd, while super big, is just a tiny part of the audience interested in spending money on gaming.

It's also a bit of a status thing - GTA is a super big, super famous franchise everywhere (even my mom would know the name, and she can barely use youtube for example), and if those creators can get a place during the Superbowl, that results in the viewers seeing it as one of the big-name games everyone should have (similarly to how Star Wars is often seen as the cream of the crop of summer blockbuster flicks - simply the name and the amount of money spent on marketing makes it a must-see event for a lot of people, even the ones who only have a surface level interest in that sort of thing). It's not enough to just release a trailer, the place and time is super important as well. Makes complete sense from Rockstar's perspective.

Theorry

These games aren't just aimed at the people following gamer news online. Sure, a new Rockstar trailer will get a lot of attention online, but the mainstream audience not following that stuff is still even bigger. Don't underestimate how big the Superbowl crowd is (or even how much attention just the commercials get). This way they'll reach both audiences.

Other companies have done it in the past and it must have payed off for them. Same with big movie trailers etc. Hell, don't forget about all those crappy mobile games getting Superbowl commercials with big-name actors. It's a big business, and the pure internet enthusiast crowd, while super big, is just a tiny part of the audience interested in spending money on gaming.

Sure. But the game a long time away really. So doubtt it has much influence on the casual crowd who probably has forgotten this in a week. Such a spot at superbowl is way smarter close to release.

atr0cious

Would be cool if it happens, but i just don't feel a rockstar game needs a Superbowl ad. Just seems like a waste of money that can be used elsewhere, especially when the nfl fan base overlaps with the rockstar fan base, and e3 will be cheaper and closer to release.

Gorillaz

Would be cool if it happens, but i just don't feel a rockstar game needs a Superbowl ad. Just seems like a waste of money that can be used elsewhere, especially when the nfl fan base overlaps with the rockstar fan base, and e3 will be cheaper and closer to release.
Rockstar hasn't respected e3 in years lol.

Them doing something like this is more likely then rockstar at e3

Boem

Rockstar hasn't respected e3 in yeaes lol.

Then doing something like this is more likely then rockstar at e3

Yeah. Rockstar knows they'll reach the gaming audience anyway. They want to maintain their position as a household mainstream name. The kind of numbers a GTA pulls in are insane, and that's simply because everyone knows what GTA is.

Adam M

My thoughts exactly, $5 million per ad for a game which is Q4 2017 is pointless, super bowl ads are for present or near future products

Boem

Sure. But the game a long time away really. So doubtt it has much influence on the casual crowd who probably has forgotten this in a week. Such a spot at superbowl is way smarter close to release.

Yeah, but marketing campaigns just get bigger and bigger these days. Again, see the lead up the new Star Wars movies are getting these days (especially TFA) - you can definitely compare what SW means for mainstream blockbuster movies to what Rockstar (mostly GTA) means for mainstream gaming.

Red Dead is big by itself of course, but obviously not quite as big as GTA. I can see them taking a longer lead up in hyping up that game and putting it in the public consciousness for longer. Stress how it's done by the GTA people, and get the big bucks. Makes more senses to me to do this than to wait 1/2 months before release. You need to build anticipation for something like this.

GrayFoxPL

KdN9Gc2.gif

Chris1

Yeah. Rockstar knows they'll reach the gaming audience anyway. They want to maintain their position as a household mainstream name. The kind of numbers a GTA pulls in are insane, and that's simply because everyone knows what GTA is.
This is why I think there's a possibility of this happening.

Release a trailer on a random day? Only gamers will really know about it.

Release it at the superbowl with "From the makers of GTA" plastered all over it? Gonna make RDR2 sell way more than it would the trailer dropping on a random day. Put an emphasis on the makers of GTA and watch the money roll in.

lol

E3 is beneath Rockstar. They don't even give it the time of day for their big announcements.

Coffinhal

This bump is because there are rumors out there about a possible Super Bowl ad for this game. Those rumors cite information about a new trailer to be released in early February and others tied to a Target store preorder card for the game with a sell date of February 5th which is coincidentally the same date as the Super Bowl. Today.

Just to show the card.
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/red-de...5-target-says-reddit-did-rockstar-plan-581181

Let's hope for a new trailer, possibly showing gameplay.

30sec version of the reveal trailer it is then

This is why I think there's a possibility of this happening.

Release a trailer on a random day? Only gamers will really know about it.

I understand your point but this isn't true, more people than "gamers" are reached with a YouTube trailer and articles on social media and traditionnal online websites.

And the RDR brand isn't new, the game sold shitloads of cargo boats worth of it.

jonno394

Rockstar don't need a superbowl ad to market this, but ill be happy to wake up in the morning to a new trailer if they do!

Oh ho! I cried as I did spy
A thread of red redemption
A trailer, newly minted for
My starry eyed attention

I clicked, I clacked, I clicked again
As the forum loaded
Visions swam of dusty west
Long ago eroded

Burst forth again! What wonders, these
What fresh and new delights?
Alas, it was just a bump
Now we all want to fight :mad:

IF there is a football ad
There may yet be balmy weather
If there's nothing to be found, I fear
We'll break out tar and feathers

Worth the bump for this.

It will probably be the reveal trailer. It's already 60 seconds, they were doing it for walking dead i believe. If it were new they would probably have released it before, with an extended cut like the switch super bowl trailer and others.

I also don't get this "rockstar doesn't need this or that" thing, they are absolutely big, but the marketing largely plays a part into that, and rockstar always market their games in a very agressive way.

Top Bottom